Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

lol he just got picked

rockies nice

Knot2brite

Bye Chad...was good to know you
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

jry04

I can get behind him playing for the Rockies.

Grizzlyfan

So turns out Spanberger was right at his Baseball America projection.  As was Tillo?

TebowHater

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 02:14:45 pm
All of it. The fact that we haven't seen our guys falling off the board tells me we are in good shape. But there is always that uncertainty of the mlb draft and kids making big life choices that keep me from feeling secure about it.

Starts to make me think DVH sounding so confident about the people coming in wasn't as crazy as I thought it was at the time.

Wonder if the Smith pick is a surprise to him, though

SPAL

I know in years past we have had a mega thread for all former hogs. I would like start an individual thread for each of them this year to see if it's easier to follow. All news, stats, call-ups, injuries, etc can be found in one thread. Anybody can post to it. I think it would make it easier to follow them. Thoughts?

jbell96

Berger Bombs in thin air? Can't wait to see them.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: TebowHater on June 13, 2017, 02:41:39 pm

I know it was a surprise for the MLB.com guys doing the web cast ... they had to scramble to look up his profile

TebowHater

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 02:42:09 pm
I know in years past we have had a mega thread for all former hogs. I would like start an individual thread for each of them this year to see if it's easier to follow. All news, stats, call-ups, injuries, etc can be found in one thread. Anybody can post to it. I think it would make it easier to follow them. Thoughts?

The Benintendi thread has been nice to have.

Not sure how active most of them would be, but sounds like a decent idea to me!

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on June 13, 2017, 02:41:39 pm
Starts to make me think DVH sounding so confident about the people coming in wasn't as crazy as I thought it was at the time.

Probably so, but so far Opitz and Turney are not off the board. Not sure if we were recruiting Smith as a C or an OF, but we are loaded at both as long as Opitz and Turney make it. We also have the TCU transfer at catcher. Smith was one we could afford to lose, but would have loved to have his power from the left side of the plate. Turney is a guy who could have a Fletcher type freshman season. Cole, Fletcher, and Turney would be an incredible OF.

SPAL

Quote from: jbell96 on June 13, 2017, 02:42:38 pm
Berger Bombs in thin air? Can't wait to see them.

I'm guessing he starts out in Grand junction.

PintailKiller

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 02:42:09 pm

I like that idea.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

jbell96

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 02:45:43 pm
I'm guessing he starts out in Grand junction.

I would guess that as well, I was just getting ahead of myself a little thinking about the massive bombs he'll hit in Colorado, if he makes it there.

SPAL

Grand Junction dimensions...

Left Foul Line: 302
Left: 365
Left-center: 410
Center: 400
Right-center: 365
Right Foul Line: 330

TebowHater

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 02:58:08 pm
Grand Junction dimensions...

Left Foul Line: 302
Left: 365
Left-center: 410
Center: 400
Right-center: 365
Right Foul Line: 330

Imagine if the right foul line was 302...yikessss

BroyledNutts

Quote from: TebowHater on June 13, 2017, 03:00:28 pm
Imagine if the right foul line was 302...yikessss

Check swing homers

I'm starting to get the impression rounds 8 & 9 are going to be dangerous ...

dotnet

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on June 13, 2017, 01:58:36 pm
Not quibbling with you, just saying that IMO, he's not as good as the SEC commentators made him out to be.  And evidently, MLB agrees.

Quote from: jry04 on June 13, 2017, 02:07:32 pm
That is not how the draft works, but it is funny that you think that.
Too many people think because a player isn't drafted by x round then he must not be as good of a prospect. A guy like Spanberger may see himself as a 3rd round guy at worse, but teams in the 4th and 5th round won't pay him 3rd round money so while he is really a top 5 round guy is actually falling beyond the 5th round because he won't come off his number. He may go tomorrow and teams will see if they can get him for 5th or 6th round money instead of 3rd round money, but that doesn't mean he is any worse of a prospect than guys taken earlier than him. Just as an example, Clarke Eagan went in the 9th round last year because he would sign for cheap. Bonfield went undrafted.
According to WhenPigsFly's theory, that means Eagan was a better pro prospect than Bonfield. NO, Bonfield just priced himself out of the draft.

I agree Jry that what he is saying isn't necessarily correct as a blanket statement - which he wasn't making.

But Spanberger was really a sixth round draft pick.  he basically performed like a 1st round draft pick for 2.5 out of the last 36 months, and an undraftable player for 33.5 of the last 36th months, and he was drafted in the sixth round.  that appears fair for various reasons. 

Just because you fall in the draft does not mean you're a lesser prospect, but in this case if Spanberger was valued at a 4th round draft pick then he would have been taken in the 4th round. 

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 13, 2017, 02:08:53 pm
It is more of a family member, coach, teacher, etc. A player is not allowed to have a lawyer or agent negotiate anything on behalf of the player with a professional team. If they do, then they forfeit their eligibility. These players can talk directly. They get information from our coaches and the organizations they talk with before the draft.

Almost all of the top players will have unofficial "family friends" who will "advise" them during the negotiating process. 

You should take that to mean, almost every single top player will have an agent who negotiates on their behalf with teams. 

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 13, 2017, 03:21:05 pm
Almost all of the top players will have unofficial "family friends" who will "advise" them during the negotiating process. 

You should take that to mean, almost every single top player will have an agent who negotiates on their behalf with teams. 

No doubt, but most of those guys plan on going regardless. A guy like Hunter Greene doesn't have to worry about tip-toeing around the rules. He is going 1st or he is going 4th. A guy like Blaine Knight does.

jry04

Anything can happen, and it really depends on the teams doing the picking, but we are now down to $180k signing bonus. Guys like Knight, Bonnin, Turney, and Rutledge can likely get a minimum of $500k if they come to Arkansas so a team would really have to sign a player for well overslot at this point to get them to sign in my opinion. I think we probably lose a couple guys we maybe weren't expected to because they are willing to sign (much like Canaan Smith jumped up the board), but overall I think the big dogs in this class look to likely make it to campus. Unless someone just throws them a lot of money late in the draft, this could be one of the best drafts we have ever had.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: jry04 on June 13, 2017, 03:37:30 pm
Anything can happen, and it really depends on the teams doing the picking, but we are now down to $180k signing bonus. Guys like Knight, Bonnin, Turney, and Rutledge can likely get a minimum of $500k if they come to Arkansas so a team would really have to sign a player for well overslot at this point to get them to sign in my opinion. I think we probably lose a couple guys we maybe weren't expected to because they are willing to sign (much like Canaan Smith jumped up the board), but overall I think the big dogs in this class look to likely make it to campus. Unless someone just throws them a lot of money late in the draft, this could be one of the best drafts we have ever had.
We deserve a draft working out for us big.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

dotnet

I agree - this couldn't have gone better. 

I actually thought Canaan Smith was boxed in.  With the other catchers we have on the roster next year, McFarland, Lee, etc, if there was a good prospect to lose then he was definitely the guy. 

So at this point, I think you expect Bonnin and Knight to make it to campus, with the only risk being that someone drafts them in the 11-13th round to try and see if they can snag them with left over pool money. 

A rotation of Knight, Campbell, and 2 of 3 of Lee/cronin/Murphy seems pretty nice...

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 13, 2017, 04:27:03 pm
We deserve a draft working out for us big.

Adding some good newcomers to those we have returning, PLUS hopefully having Knight to lead the pitching staff...I'm beginning to get a little giddy!  (Not like me at all)

Pig Papi

I believe last year we had a recruit, Tyler Benninghoff, drafted in the 11th round that ended up signing with the Twins.  UCA can correct me if I'm wrong. So, things can still happen. 

I do believe the top guys have held firm to their numbers and points to a good chance they make it to campus. 

I don't think Canaan Smith was going to catch much here but I do know they thought they had a steal with him.  He looks like a guy that the Yankees cut a deal with to take less than slot so they can have more to spend on other top 10 picks.  I really thought he would make it to campus but not now.  Good for him and all the guys that end up signing.  It's a dream come true.

BroyledNutts

Chadwick just picked 9th round by the Mets ... he should take that

Hogs49ers

SCREW Vandy!

TebowHater

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 13, 2017, 04:56:49 pm

WOW. Congrats to Cannon.

dotnet

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 13, 2017, 04:56:34 pm
I believe last year we had a recruit, Tyler Benninghoff, drafted in the 11th round that ended up signing with the Twins.  UCA can correct me if I'm wrong. So, things can still happen. 

He did - which is why I mention that can be a scary round.  He signed for over 500K

TebowHater

Quote from: dotnet on June 13, 2017, 04:59:00 pm
He did - which is why I mention that can be a scary round.  He signed for over 500K

Yeah people who they want and think they can get, but aren't 100% sure they can get, are prime targets in round 11. You can take the gamble without losing the money if it falls through.

rolyat_2008

He's a senior sign. He won't get close to that slot value.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 13, 2017, 05:00:50 pm
He's a senior sign. He won't get close to that slot value.

I forgot he was a senior ... good for him anyway.

Hogs49ers

I think we have a real good shot at getting Bonnin, Rutledge, and Turney and keeping Knight at this point!  And boy if we do, this team is going to be very salty next year!

On MLB.com they have Bonnin, Rutledge, and Turney all in the top 40 players still available.
SCREW Vandy!

BroyledNutts

Taccolini to the Padres 10th round ...

woodrow hog call

Taco just picked in the 10th by the Padres.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Pig Papi

I am a huge Mets fan.  I have no inside info but I have to think there is a connection with the Mets and Hogs.  There have been a lot of Razorback connected draft picks in the last few years.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 13, 2017, 05:15:17 pm
I am a huge Mets fan.  I have no inside info but I have to think there is a connection with the Mets and Hogs.  There have been a lot of Razorback connected draft picks in the last few years.

It's strange ... there's a number of teams on the East coast that draft regularly from the Hogs, but the teams that are most local - St. Louis, the Rangers, KC, even the Braves, rarely if ever draft a Razorback. You'd think there'd be a connection between DVH and Atlanta ...

bulldog04

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 13, 2017, 05:30:10 pm
It's strange ... there's a number of teams on the East coast that draft regularly from the Hogs, but the teams that are most local - St. Louis, the Rangers, KC, even the Braves, rarely if ever draft a Razorback. You'd think there'd be a connection between DVH and Atlanta ...
Speaking of the Braves they went on a big streak of drafting college seniors.  This always makes me nervous with the later rounds coming up. Look for them to make a push at a big target

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 13, 2017, 05:37:01 pm
Speaking of the Braves they went on a big streak of drafting college seniors.  This always makes me nervous with the later rounds coming up. Look for them to make a push at a big target

Braves insiders are saying they are going to have to pay above slot to their first 2 picks so they spent a lot of the picks today on JUCO and college seniors to make up for it

BroyledNutts

10 rounds completed, and a lot of names we thought we'd hear on day two were not heard. Thoughts?

Hogs49ers

So what is the most a team could pay Knight going into the 11th round tomorrow?
SCREW Vandy!

DiamondHogFan

What is the latest on Keaton McKinney?  Sorry if I missed it somewhere.  Has he indicated his future plans?

SPAL

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 13, 2017, 05:46:10 pm
So what is the most a team could pay Knight going into the 11th round tomorrow?

There is no slot after round 10

Hogs49ers

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 05:47:57 pm

Hmm interesting, thanks. 

Also, of our top recruits (Bonnin, Rutledge, Turney), if they end up coming to campus, will any of them be forced to stay at the UofA for 2 years based on their age? (Ex Mize)
SCREW Vandy!

BroyledNutts

So, in theory, Knight could be drafted at any time tomorrow and a team could cut him as big of a check as he/they want?

thebignasty

Pretty pumped with how the draft has fallen so far.

bulldog04

I never thought we would have a Chance at getting Turney on campus until now

Pig Papi

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 13, 2017, 05:53:42 pm
So, in theory, Knight could be drafted at any time tomorrow and a team could cut him as big of a check as he/they want?

No.  The MLB teams have a budgeted slot amount for the first 10 rounds.  If players in rounds 11 on are signed for over $100,000 that excess counts against the teams budgeted slot value for round 1 - 10.  There are strict penalties for going over budget.

TebowHater

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 13, 2017, 05:49:34 pm
Hmm interesting, thanks. 

Also, of our top recruits (Bonnin, Rutledge, Turney), if they end up coming to campus, will any of them be forced to stay at the UofA for 2 years based on their age? (Ex Mize)

All of them would be here two years as I understand. Age relates to third year (ie you could have a draft eligible sophomore like Knight). Don't know if any of them would be that.

thebignasty

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 13, 2017, 06:04:56 pm
No.  The MLB teams have a budgeted slot amount for the first 10 rounds.  If players in rounds 11 on are signed for over $100,000 that excess counts against the teams budgeted slot value for round 1 - 10.  There are strict penalties for going over budget.

Do worst case for us would be something like a team takes a flyer on Knight in a late round and then fails to sign one or more of their top 10 picks freeing up some money?

dotnet

No, slot is $100,000 for each pick after round 10, but they are not part of the "pool"