Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bushmaster AR15/M4 A3

Started by ke2743, October 07, 2015, 12:29:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ke2743

Just got a steal on one of these bad boys.  Anyone have one with recommended mods/upgrades.  Wanting to know what I should do to it. 

Scope?
Trigger?
Railing?
Bi-pod?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ke2743

rickm1976

One more thing - get as many Magpul PMAG magazines you can afford.  My nephew is a weapons instructor in the Navy, and he told me the military used to supply all special operations troops with PMAGS, but has since given the contract to another vendor (in other words - lowest bidder).  He said most of the JSOC operators are still buying PMAGS out of their own pockets, because their lives depend on them.  He said he won't use any other magazine.

catfish07

What do you intend to do with the rifle? Mods for the sake of mods tend to be a waste of funds.

What sights do you currently have on the rifle and do you like them?

Spend your money on ammo and as many mags as you realistically want to have on hand. I have both PMAGS and metal mags and like them both.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

ke2743

Quote from: catfish07 on October 09, 2015, 08:32:51 am
What do you intend to do with the rifle? Mods for the sake of mods tend to be a waste of funds.

What sights do you currently have on the rifle and do you like them?

Spend your money on ammo and as many mags as you realistically want to have on hand. I have both PMAGS and metal mags and like them both.

Compensate for what I'm lacking. 

ke2743

I kid I kid.

Home defense, range, maybe take to deer woods.  Currently have iron sights and Hate them.  Got ammo and mags. 

Fore grip?  Yes/no?
Bipod?
Eotech or acof?
Sling?
Smoother trigger?

catfish07

Quote from: ke2743 on October 10, 2015, 03:09:20 pm
I kid I kid.

Home defense, range, maybe take to deer woods.  Currently have iron sights and Hate them.  Got ammo and mags. 

Fore grip?  Yes/no?
Bipod?
Eotech or acof?
Sling?
Smoother trigger?

A few must haves if you ask me: Ambi safety, ambi charging handle, quad rail, and a good light that is single touch on/off if you plan for HD.

My preference but skip the fore grip; no real need unless you plan to add so much stuff to the rail you can't grip it.

A sling is good if you think you will carry it. Lots of good options but unless you want a tactical rig stick with a basic model from a surplus store.

Bipod is extra weight.

Check Primary Arms for a good Red Dot at a great price. If you find yourself shooting enough you can then pay for a EOTech and have a great back up sight. I suggest an absoulte cowitness but that is just me.

Trigger is all in how you feel about it; if you think it is too stiff then change away. What is the break on your rifle; 6 or so?

"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

H&D

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: ke2743 on October 10, 2015, 03:09:20 pm
I kid I kid.

Fore grip?  Yes/no?
Bipod?
Eotech or acof?
Sling?
Smoother trigger?

With the standard iron sights, you can hit a human silhouette out to 300m.  Those iron sights are awesome if someone teaches you how to use them.

The civilian equivalent of the M68 red dot sight would be the only upgrade I'd use. One you put a magnification sight on your rifle you make it one dimensional.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.