Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 games in what are your impressions of the 3-4?

Started by Al Boarland, September 24, 2017, 07:08:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Inhogswetrust

No but it would if we had more experience and a few more really good players. Scheme is the least of our problems.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Al Boarland

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 24, 2017, 07:40:33 am
No but it would if we had more experience and a few more really good players. Scheme is the least of our problems.

It was also the least of our problems when we ran to 4-3.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 24, 2017, 07:08:49 am
Is it what you thought it would be?

My impression is you need a total monster in the middle to make it work as well as it must against spread option teams.

Bubba's Bruisers

It's only 3 games in for a defensive unit that already wasn't that talented.  foolish to think they'd turn on a dime and all of a sudden be good.  All while implementing a new defense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 07:42:28 am
My impression is you need a total monster in the middle to make it work as well as it must against spread option teams.

It takes an elite NT and LB's. I'm just glad we have those guys in the fold this recruiting cycle.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 24, 2017, 07:43:26 am
It's only 3 games in for a defensive unit that already wasn't that talented.  foolish to think they'd turn on a dime and all of a sudden be good.  All while implementing a new defense.

Do you see the talent coming in?

codeHog

Some kid that has trained and trained......lost the A&M QB when it was his job to NOT lose the A&M QB

should have been a A&M TD

Somebody decided to let Kirk run free for a long TD

sad deal

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 24, 2017, 07:44:39 am
Do you see the talent coming in?

Nope.  Well, I mean there are some nice pieces here and there, but overall, not really. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bcdeputy

complete lack of any pass rush.  If the other qb has all the time he wants a receiver will get open no matter how good your defensive backfield is (ours isn't).  going to be a really long season in Fayetteville....

havok

Quote from: bcdeputy on September 24, 2017, 08:00:00 am
complete lack of any pass rush.  If the other qb has all the time he wants a receiver will get open no matter how good your defensive backfield is (ours isn't).  going to be a really long season in Fayetteville....

Agreed... the big selling point for the 3-4 was that is was gonna unleash pass rushing lanes, and drive opponent's QB crazy not knowing where the pass rush was coming from..but so far. There is No pass rush and everything is telegraphed.

OKC

Conditioning is not good. We were supposed to be the ones beating opponents up for 3 qtrs so that in the 4th, we start imposing our will...we seem to be exhausted in the 4th. Of course there are more problems than just this.

The_Iceman

Rzbakfromwaybak

When I saw the "3-4" in the thread title... immediately thought total wins this season.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Mo_Better_Hogs

If the 3-4 is the reason there were large land masses of open field for A&M's backs and receivers to run through, then I'm not too fond of it.

bigdogbitting

The 3-4 that we saw  was played as a 3 2 6. No open lb's or safety blitz. Safety always dropped into coverage and 2 LB cannot fill all the gaps from sideline to sideline. Pass rush was non existent most of the day. Made freshman QB look good, as usual.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bigdogbitting on September 25, 2017, 02:30:08 am
The 3-4 that we saw  was played as a 3 2 6. No open lb's or safety blitz. Safety always dropped into coverage and 2 LB cannot fill all the gaps from sideline to sideline. Pass rush was non existent most of the day. Made freshman QB look good, as usual.

For whatever reason the strategy has been to keep everything in front of them and for the A&M game to keep Mond in the pocket.

In short, we have a bend, but don't break philosophy.

Porkchop#1

Well, we tried the 4-3, now the 3-4.  Not good at either it appears.

Maybe we should try the 2-5?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 24, 2017, 07:40:33 am

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 25, 2017, 03:54:56 am
For whatever reason the strategy has been to keep everything in front of them and for the A&M game to keep Mond in the pocket.

In short, we have a bend, but don't break philosophy.

That's what you run when your less talented.. which our defense is...

hogcard1964

Not good.  It's a 3-4 but they're rushing 4 and still not getting much pressure.  They didn't even hit Mond much on Saturday.   I look for a change by the Auburn game.

raZor71

I think our Defense is better that last year's. I don't think we'll see worst to first in stats though. I just wish we would ATTACK the QB! Especially should have against A&M with Mond not having much success and confidence up to this point. i don't think Coach B likes to be aggressive enough on D!!! You think he would see that other teams are aggressive and attack our QBs and affect the outcome of critical plays and the game! Frustrating!!!

hogsanity

When you have a player who is supposed to be the last line of defense still getting out of position 3 or 3 times a game in crucial spots no defense is going to be very good.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jbigs77

To this point in the season, these are my observances.
1. Offensive line play is very offensive. Part of it is talent, but a good part is coaching, preparation, and the players not having a understanding, for what the other team is doing, or does later when changes are being made. 

2. Not being able or not trying to rush the QB. If you got a freshman QB the first thing to do is put pressure on him and try to rattle him. Get his timing off. Put him on the ground hard. Like other teams do to our QB(s) a lot. Yes, you might give up a big play, but we gave up big plays anyway, so what the hey?

3. Inability to stop the run. A+M ran 3 to 4 yards up our gut several times. Then would bust a long one, or hit someone deep with a pass. That was partly because we did not consistently stop the run, but also got to give the A+M coaches being able to recognize that we were venerable, and made good play calls. They knew how to set us up and did several times.

So where do we go from here? Hopefully the players can come together, have fun, play hard. Still got to play the games. For them I hope they can win a few.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: OKC on September 24, 2017, 08:22:03 am
Conditioning is not good. We were supposed to be the ones beating opponents up for 3 qtrs so that in the 4th, we start imposing our will...we seem to be exhausted in the 4th. Of course there are more problems than just this.

It isn't the conditioning.  It's the oline. We aren't playing how we are "supposed" to play because we can't.   That leaves the defense out there too much. 

To the OP I am not surprised.  Thought oline and D would still be problems.  Hoped to get one of these last two.  Had offense been better prepared for TCU Hogs would have been close in that one. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I remember Marcus Spears commenting on our change to the 3-4 back around the end of spring. He said there would be a lot of disappointed hog fans, not because we wouldn't be better, but because most fans thing changing the defense would suddenly fix all of the problems. It will take time to get this new defensive scheme to where it needs to be. According to marcus spears, one offseason IS NOT long enough to implement a scheme change. He also said that this defense would get better as the season goes on.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HognotinMemphis

Arkanas could run a 2-5, a 6-1, or vice versa and teams are still going to gash us and throw over the top for big plays and get their offensive yardage overall. We are below average talent and below average depth for the SEC. Hence the 10-23 SEC record over past 4+ seasons.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

island hog

There's no way we could expect the 3-4 to work perfectly from day one.  We have DEs playing outside LB positions because we just don't have the numbers at LB yet to fit the scheme.  It will come with time ... TCU's defensive scheme is very similar but they have recruited to it for years.  It's a big jump and we just need more bodies at the LB position.  The defensive game was going just as we were hoping until Eugene dove down the line and left the Aggie QB a free pass. That changed everything.   

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 07:42:28 am

I believe you can get away with a decent middle guy but your DE's should be your bread and butter for the defense to really be disruptive

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: bcdeputy on September 24, 2017, 08:00:00 am

Agreed...Finding a way to run stunts and blitz without getting burned over the top will be the tester against NMST.  Their QB can flat out sling the rock.

hogsolutely

Not really sure about it!  This Team has never played good gap "D" so its hard to say if the 3-4 is working.  Haven't really saw it at its best. 

AugustaHog

We brought more pressure, early in the game.  As usual, we got either tired or conservative, and backed off.  When we do that, it never goes well.

Kevin

I like it. wish they would be more aggressive for the whole game.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dhizzle

I was under the impression from the announcer it was to prevent big plays. Hell that was what beat the hogs.

Piggfoot

I don't think we have the personel to play it effectively. Agim is getting whipped more than I think he should. He is much smaller than his opponants.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: dhizzle on September 25, 2017, 09:43:47 am
I was under the impression from the announcer it was to prevent big plays. Hell that was what beat the hogs.
Pretty much. Im rewatching the game right now and the defense was able to slow A&M's run game and defended their short passes pretty well. A&M absolutely wrecked our secondary. I don't think we have a defensive back with enough speed to properly defend someone like kirk
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

GuvHog

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2017, 10:23:13 am
it's better than the 4-3

Agreed, but there are still some growing pains that were evident in the loss to A&M.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

zebradynasty

I don't think the problem is the scheme I think if we switched back to a 4-3 we still have the same problems with the run. Harris and Greenlaw played well Saturday but still struggle when you run right at them.

Still not convinced that we can recruit the type of players we need to run a 3-4.

DeltaBoy

NO Depth ,, Watched the GA MSU game and GA was sending in 6 players at a time on Defense and had no drop off.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

Right now it's hit or miss. Would be better if we changed the coverage on the back end to a defense that contest throws and catches a little bit more.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

PorkRinds

I like the scheme better. We aren't great at it up to now.

311Hog

so far i am happy with it in that our players do no appear confused and out of position as much.  There have been costly busts but that is not really a scheme problem.

Oh and the absolute lack of a pass rush,  if you cannot get pressure on the QB you will not do well.  Mound should have been the one bleeding from the nose not Allen.

GoHogs1091

It was a horrible idea.

Most collegiate teams can't get the required elite Nose Guard and required elite Middle Linebackers (also sometimes referred to as Inside Linebackers) to effectively utilize a 3-4.

We need to utilize a 4-3, and just the following game films of the Defense of the winning team needs to be watched, studied, and analyzed in order to emulate/implement the scheme, concepts, technique, and play calls of a solid, fundamentally sound 4-3.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=293320201

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400610208

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400852733

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400868971

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400876108

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400933843

Hogs-n-Roses

50 points to a very bad A$M team wit a freshman qb.

NaturalStateReb

I actually think there is some improvement, but when they blow it they really blow it.  Occasional big plays are killing this defense, more than just consistently poor play.

The A&M loss is a bad harbinger, though.  LSU doesn't have a quarterback, but everyone else in the West will have a QB equal to or far superior to Mond.  Hell, so does Missouri for that matter.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hawgon

Yeah, it's pretty much what I thought it would be...another pie in the sky promise of an assistant/scheme change that wouldn't amount to much.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 25, 2017, 03:51:13 pm
50 points to a very bad A$M team wit a freshman qb.
The alignment doesn't matter if we're gonna keep on using the same soft scheme.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawgon

As long as Bert's here, we're going to continue to play that same soft grabass defense that gets us beat.

daprospecta

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 25, 2017, 03:52:39 pm
I actually think there is some improvement, but when they blow it they really blow it.  Occasional big plays are killing this defense, more than just consistently poor play.

The A&M loss is a bad harbinger, though.  LSU doesn't have a quarterback, but everyone else in the West will have a QB equal to or far superior to Mond.  Hell, so does Missouri for that matter.
This is how I feel.  When I watch this defense, I see improvements across the board but the big plays hurt us.  As a whole, I think we are a better defense but we still have a ways to go.