Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Freshman Heston Kjerstad

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, February 17, 2018, 09:14:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

Watching Heston Kjerstad's swing yesterday was a thing of beauty.  He has a textbook swing.  Picture perfect.  A natural.  Rewind the tape and look.  And he has great mid-swing adjustment if needed.  Arkansas lists him at 6'3" and 195 lbs.  He just looks strong.  He's growing still, and he is going to knock balls out of the park.  On first assessment, I believe he is going to be Van Horn's best bat ever.  Definitely Benintendi class.  Heston will break some records.  I think Van Horn would cautiously concur.

I believe Jerstad is going to be a 1st round draft choice on his bat.  Everyone across the college baseball land will know the name Heston Kjerstad in a short period of time.  Bet that. 

SPAL

Heston KillerStats

Saw someone post that yesterday and I liked it.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 17, 2018, 09:20:21 am
Heston KillerStats

No doubt.   Killerstats it is!! ;D

Heston is going to fun to watch.  I'm extremely glad he is on our team. 

BroyledNutts

I hope he continues to develop during preseason - really settle in, get over the big stage giddiness, and work on hitting pitches that are less than ideal.
The SEC is not kind to most Freshmen, and I'm afraid he'll have a big chill down once the meat of the season starts.

If he doesn't cool off in SEC play, he could very well be 1st round talent.

ThisTeetsTaken

Kid has a mature approach at the plate. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

pigture perfect

He's only batting .833. I don't see how anybody would get excited about this freshman.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 17, 2018, 02:28:58 pm
He's only batting .833. I don't see how anybody would get excited about this freshman.

Lol..  ;D

sooiebaby

I noticed his bat speed through the zone right away, he rips his hands through with a violence i havent seen in a long while. Waiting to see him really barrel one up...it bet it travels 450+
The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

JHicks3636

Only a 2 game sample but Kjerstad is 5-6 for an.833 average, 3 rbis, has been hit by pitch 3 times, no walks, no Ks, 1.000 slugging percentage, .889 on base percentage, 2 putouts with no errors.

ucahogfan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on February 17, 2018, 07:39:44 pm
Only a 2 game sample but Kjerstad is 5-6 for an.833 average, 3 rbis, has been hit by pitch 3 times, no walks, no Ks, 1.000 slugging percentage, .889 on base percentage, 2 putouts with no errors.
His SLG% is 5th on the team.  He's going to have to pick that one up.

SPAL

Quote from: JHicks3636 on February 17, 2018, 07:39:44 pm

Maybe he needs a day off to find his swing.... 😂

Rockhawg

Lol, i actually posted " Charlton Heston Killerstats. I think everyone on the thread is right, he has that swing that you see and think " That is the swing i wish i had ". I think he will have some Freshman games as Freshman do, but in the long run, his future is really bright. I can't get over how young he looks to have that kind of swing on this level.

hogwild04

No doubt, he will be a great and one of the top rated freshman, SEC will be a true test but that is true for everyone freshman thru Senior , and he will get better every year and by his Jr year he may be a All-America. , I think Van Horn will give him every chance to succeed  We have 4 in freshman top  50.  that is why that class is top 3 in nation, could have 3 to 4 first day picks out of that freshman class.   Very impressed with Heston and Casey Martin put on a show in game 2, and Bonnin on how he did not get rattled after a error and bad break on what should had been a foul ball, had a couple of 96mph throws, will be triple digits by Jr year if healthy, and then Big Nasty Rutledge which cant wait to see the 6'8 mid 90s, that will look 100 with that stride, I heard he may not throw until the mid week game next week, hope to see Bolden tomorrow and maybe Bonnin again, not looking past this year, because this one will be one to remember, but if all stay healthy, we have a great chance of being at the top for the next few years.   

Pig Papi

This freshman class is extremely deep.  It was rated #3 after the draft casualties and has a great mix of position players and top of the rotation type arms.

DeshaHog

can someone help me out with the correct pronunciation of Kjerstad? thanks in advance

Wisco Pig

Quote from: DeshaHog on February 18, 2018, 11:37:36 am
can someone help me out with the correct pronunciation of Kjerstad? thanks in advance

Copied this from the Razorback baseball media guide:

Pronunciation Guide
Bryce Bonnin                        BON-in
Jacob Nesbit                         NEZ-bit
Easton Murrell                      Muh-RELL
Heston Kjerstad                    KERR-stad
Carson Shaddy                     SHAD-eee
Kole Ramage                        RAM-midge
Grant Koch                           COOK
Jake Reindl                           RINE-dull
Jacob Kostyshock                  Cost-EE-shock
Barrett Loseke                      LOW-ski

MAGA45

Quote from: Wisco Pig on February 18, 2018, 11:43:44 am

Pronunciation Guide

Bonin like Bone-in ribeye?
Fake News

rolyat_2008

pigture perfect

Quote from: Wisco Pig on February 18, 2018, 11:43:44 am

Pronunciation Guide
Thanks, this is very helpful.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BigBrandonAllenFan

February 22, 2018, 08:21:44 pm #19 Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:39:44 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 17, 2018, 09:14:22 am
Watching Heston Kjerstad's swing yesterday was a thing of beauty...

...He's growing still, and he is going to knock balls out of the park...  ...

Everyone across the college baseball land will know the name Heston Kjerstad in a short period of time.

When I posted this thread, it was because at first watch it was easy to see Heston had a swing of textbook gold.  I never would have thought that textbook swing would come into play in such a big game so early in the season.  Heston beat Arizona with a single swing of the bat.

All hail Heston Kjerstad!!!!

WBOBO

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 17, 2018, 09:14:22 am
Watching Heston Kjerstad's swing yesterday was a thing of beauty.  He has a textbook swing.  Picture perfect.  A natural.  Rewind the tape and look.  And he has great mid-swing adjustment if needed.  Arkansas lists him at 6'3" and 195 lbs.  He just looks strong.  He's growing still, and he is going to knock balls out of the park.  On first assessment, I believe he is going to be Van Horn's best bat ever.  Definitely Benintendi class.  Heston will break some records.  I think Van Horn would cautiously concur.

I believe Jerstad is going to be a 1st round draft choice on his bat.  Everyone across the college baseball land will know the name Heston Kjerstad in a short period of time.  Bet that. 
I guess I missed him over the weekend but is his swing as good
as Benintendi's?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: WBOBO on February 22, 2018, 09:11:29 pm
I guess I missed him over the weekend but is his swing as good
as Benintendi's?

It's good, but it's not that good IMHO at this point ... He is just a freshman, though - it could get there. I hope it does.

WBOBO

Never mind.  Just now saw it at the end of your OP and said it was in Beni's
class.  That is some tall company to put him in.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: WBOBO on February 22, 2018, 09:14:08 pm
Never mind.  Just now saw it at the end of your OP and said it was in Beni's
class.  That is some tall company to put him in.

I realize that is putting Kjerstad in BIG company.  Benentendi was the College Player of the Year.

But I can guarantee you that pro scouts are already drooling over Kjerstad.  His form at the plate, for lack of better English, is just plum awesome.  Benetendi had beautiful form, but Kjerstad is ahead of where Benentendi was at as a freshman coming out of the gate.

Like I said, the college baseball world will take note of Heston Kjerstad quickly, and it only took 4 games for Heston to be that "big game" winning guy.  Hog fans have to be super stoked about him, as we are.  And he will only get better.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on February 22, 2018, 09:13:21 pm
It's good, but it's not that good IMHO at this point ... He is just a freshman, though - it could get there. I hope it does.

Heston has some experience to gain, but again, as a freshman out of the gate, in my assessment, Heston's swing is ahead of where Benentendi was at the same point in their college careers.  I loved to watch Benentendi swing the bat.  He and Heston's swing is very similar in form.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Heston continues to develop and stays healthy.

WBOBO

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 22, 2018, 09:31:24 pm
I realize that is putting Kjerstad in BIG company.  Benentendi was the College Player of the Year.

But I can guarantee you that pro scouts are already drooling over Kjerstad.  His form at the plate, for lack of better English, is just plum awesome.  Benetendi had beautiful form, but Kjerstad is ahead of where Benentendi was at as a freshman coming out of the gate.

Like I said, the college baseball world will take note of Heston Kjerstad quickly, and it only took 4 games for Heston to be that big game winning guy.  Hog fans have to be super stoked about him, as we are.  And he will only get better.
I hope you are right but I haven't seen a smoother and more balanced swing than Benintendi's.  Beni has that balanced swing that
reminds me of Tony Gwynn.  While he didn't have the average last year
he was pushed and trained to hit HR's.  Hopefully having Martinez now maybe
he can hit in the 3 spot rather than 4 or 5.  I hope Kjerstad is better than
Benintendi but I'll have to see it first hand.  Can't wait to see it!   GHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hogeye_Pierce

First time I heard them talking about him on the broadcast he was on first base and the pitcher threw over and I thought they were saying he was being "cursed at". I was wondering what he had done to get the First Base Coach so mad at him.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: WBOBO on February 22, 2018, 09:42:12 pm
  I hope Kjerstad is better than Benintendi but I'll have to see it first hand.  Can't wait to see it!   GHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is early, but a person has to be excited.  In 12 at bats Heston has 7 hits and leads the team in batting with a .583 average.  I'd have to look it up, but I'd be willing to bet in the first four games of a college career at Arkansas, no freshman has had those numbers.  Those 7 hits include two doubles and a game winning HR.

(Jack Kenley has a .667 average but that is with 2 hits in just 3 at bats.)

WBOBO

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 22, 2018, 10:31:08 pm
It is early, but a person has to be excited.  In 12 at bats Heston has 7 hits and leads the team in batting with a .583 average.  I'd have to look it up, but I'd be willing to bet in the first four games of a college career at Arkansas, no freshman has had those numbers.  Those 7 hits include two doubles and a game winning HR.

(Jack Kenley has a .667 average but that is with 2 hits in just 3 at bats.)
Your talk tends to favor my thinking.   Can I  guess your
demographis?  Is it I-30 south?  Just curious?  Sounds to me ya like baseball
a bit.

WBOBO

Sorry left off the "c" in demographics.

BigBrandonAllenFan

February 23, 2018, 05:25:28 am #30 Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:38:48 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: WBOBO on February 23, 2018, 12:13:55 am
Your talk tends to favor my thinking.   Can I  guess your
demographis?  Is it I-30 south?  Just curious?  Sounds to me ya like baseball
a bit.

I was raised in Rose City.  Back then (60's and 70's) we had a great youth baseball program and i played and later coached some.  My dad had coached on most of my teams when i was growing up. My family, including mom and little sis are still big baseball fans.  Dad is 80 and still goes to most all high school home games in Greenbrier where we all live now.  We got to watch Hunter Milligan in high school.  We all knew he was going to be something special by the time he was an 8th grader.  He'll be in the starting rotation next season for the Hogs more than likely.

And yeah, i love baseball.  If i had to throw away every sport and keep only one, im taking college baseball by a mile.  I still feel the agony of defeat in 1979 when Arkansas played in their first College World Series and lost in the championship series to Cal State Fullerton when Kevin McRenoylds was a freshman phenom.

WBOBO

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 23, 2018, 05:25:28 am
I was raised in Rose City.  Back then (60's and 70's) we had a great youth baseball program and i played and later coached some.  My dad had coached on most of my teams when i was growing up. My family, including mom and little sis are still big baseball fans.  Dad is 80 and still goes to most all high school home games in Greenbrier where we all live now.  We got to watch Hunter Milligan in high school.  We all knew he was going to be something special by the time he was an 8th grader.  He'll be in the starting rotation next season for the Hogs more than likely.

And yeah, i love baseball.  If i had to throw away every sport and keep only one, im taking college baseball by a mile.  I still feel the agony of defeat in 1979 when Arkansas played in their first College World Series and lost in the championship series to Cal State Fullerton when Kevin McRenoylds was a freshman phenom.
Ah the 79 season.  That was the year I became hooked on Razorback baseball.   I remember Larry Wallace being the shortstop who was deaf correct.  Think about that 78-82 years in Razorback athletics.  Those were the best of times in terms of all Razorback athletics in my opinion.

travelinhog

Quote from: WBOBO on February 23, 2018, 08:18:10 am
Ah the 79 season.  That was the year I became hooked on Razorback baseball.   I remember Larry Wallace being the shortstop who was deaf correct.  Think about that 78-82 years in Razorback athletics.  Those were the best of times in terms of all Razorback athletics in my opinion.

Back then, about 6-8 us went on a float trip on the Illinois River. Wallace and I ended up being paired together in a canoe. Very nice person and a strong Christian.

seasonhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 17, 2018, 09:20:21 am
Heston KillerStats

Amarillo HES-ton

BigBrandonAllenFan

I gave Kjerstad his own thread after opening weekend for good reason.  The kid is clutch.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Cole and Kjerstad were the catalysts in the 6th inning rally.  Their clutch hits gave Arkansas a chance to win the game.  So Cal was so aware of the freshman they wouldn't even pitch to him in the last inning.  Can't say I blame them.  Pretty confident he would have made contact and brought the winning run home. 

philiphog

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 23, 2018, 05:25:28 am

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? My Brother and I grew up in Rose City as well around that same time.

BigBrandonAllenFan

58 1/2. Graduated nlr northeast in 77.  Feel free to pm me.

hawg1221

HK was only 160 lbs when Arkansas started recruiting him. He was not a big guy at the time, but has continued to grow. Arkansas got lucky because his stock is so much higher than when he committed to the hogs.

BigBrandonAllenFan

College baseball Freshman of the Year?  Probably.  Likely.  I wouldn't trade him for any other.  Show me a better one.

After being the Hog's only offense in Charlotte, at Florida on Friday, Kjerstad went 3 for 3 at the plate plus a base on balls, with two RBI, and scored 3 runs.  He just keeps getting better.

Long live Heston Vladimir Kjerstad.

razCzar

I'm told he insists upon being called Vlad.
Kind of like Vladimir the Great, myself.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: razCzar on March 24, 2018, 01:23:30 am
I'm told he insists upon being called Vlad.
Kind of like Vladimir the Great, myself.

All hail comrade Vlad!!

seasonhog

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 24, 2018, 01:56:18 am
All hail comrade Vlad!!

Who was that hitter...." THAT'S THE AMARILLO KID "

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: seasonhog on March 24, 2018, 07:41:17 pm

Who was that hitter...." THAT'S THE AMARILLO KID "

I wish we had 8 other guns like the Amarillo Kid.

BigBrandonAllenFan

April 05, 2018, 09:56:04 am #44 Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:12:43 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
General Secretary Van Horn has his scientists perfecting a formula to clone 8 more prototypes of comrade Kjerstad.

All hail comrade Kjerstad's bat.

BigBrandonAllenFan

This will be the entire Red Army team picture for next season. 

Each of General Secretary Van Horn's scientifically created Heston Kjerstad prototype clones will wear a different number though because of NCAA rules.

Long live Chairman Mao.

JHicks3636

Heston Kjerstad leads SEC freshmen in hits (46), home runs (eight), runs batted in (32), slugging percentage (.642) and total bases (79).

cityhog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on April 10, 2018, 02:21:49 pm
Heston Kjerstad leads SEC freshmen in hits (46), home runs (eight), runs batted in (32), slugging percentage (.642) and total bases (79).

He could very well be a Golden Spikes winner if he follows an upward trajectory.