Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taylor Made Old Timer Knife review.

Started by DeltaBoy, January 11, 2016, 11:03:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

I was crushed when Schrade closed it doors back in 2004 and I set out to buy up all the Made in the USA ones I could afford.  Fast forward a few years and Taylor Company bought the Rights to Schrade name and product line and they started turning out POOR Copies move forward to 2014 and some one let me borrow a Taylor made Old Timer and it was way better than the first ones I had seen. Still I was being a snob and put off buying one.  Dec 2015 I find a used 8OTW on Ebay and I got it for 4 bucks.  Now after nearly a month of carrying it I can tell you it back to being Equal with the Pre 2004 OT made in the USA with the exception they are not offered in Carbon Steel.

I got out my Grandpa's OT8 and my HS Graduation Present OT8 and they are the same size , weight and other than this one have ironwood scales they sharpen and cut equally.

So if your looking for a new classic styled pocket knife and you can't afford a Case look hard at a Taylor made Schrade or Imperial Pocket Knife.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

Folks I am serious today's Old Timers are as good as the one we were getting Pre 2004 when the original Schrade company closed.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

razorbacker3

I carried a 340T many years. I must have had a dozen or so over the years. They have about a five year shelf life before they just vanish. :o Never knew why or how. They would just disappear.  ;)

pigture perfect

I have always enjoyed schrade stuff. I bought a Taylor Uncle Henry Filet knife around Christmas and can tell you, it was a great knife for deer cleaning and processing. Bought one for each of the guys in immediate family.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Yep and as I searched the net Taylor doing a great job .

Warbirdhog

Great to hear Taylor is ensuring a good product. I carry a Schrade 885UH Stockman and have it's little brother 834UH Rancher, both with the jig bone scales.
Both are knives my dad had bought years ago that I got after he passed away in 2001.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Warbirdhog on January 23, 2016, 03:31:49 pm
Great to hear Taylor is ensuring a good product. I carry a Schrade 885UH Stockman and have it's little brother 834UH Rancher, both with the jig bone scales.
Both are knives my dad had bought years ago that I got after he passed away in 2001.

Yep both of mine 0T8 are pre 1985  Grandpa's a 1972 model but he left it at home a ton and carried a 340 that I got also.
I got an OT Barlow coming off Ebay and I will review it soon.

DeltaBoy

My OT8 is still cutting fruit , strings etc and all I have done is stropped it on some cardboard.

DeltaBoy

Still got a great walk and talks and staying Sharp. 

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

This Taylor Made OT is still holding an edge and all I have done is stropped it once on the bottom of a coffee cup and the rest of the time 10 strokes each side on some card board and it will still shave your arm.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Pre Spring Break update still going strong.

On a side note the OT Barlow had backsprings so strong on the pen blade I had to work with it for 2 weeks to get it loosed up enough to open with out using my nite Ize key chain tool.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61FrfdB-P1L._SY355_.jpg

blades have taken and kept a good edge also.

DeltaBoy

Still cutting and getting touched up with some stropping about once a week.

DeltaBoy

No changes other than the boasters have some scratches from all the junk in my pockets.

DeltaBoy

The more I use it the better it gets. So far all I have to do is strop it on some leather and it still shaving arm hair.   It also holding up wear and tear  wise in my pocket.

Go by Wal Mart or your hardware store and get a Taylor made Old Timer you will be happy you did.

DeltaBoy

New Week same Story It works great.

DeltaBoy

Update They are both staying sharp and working just fine. 

DeltaBoy

Finally had to work out the Sheepsfoot blade on some 220 and 400 wet dry sandpaper.

DeltaBoy

I am keeping it in my rotation and will report some more during the summer, but so far My Taylor made OT8 been as good as any of my 30-50 year old ones I have in my collection. So you can buy Taylor Made Schrade / Old Timers with confidence they will do the job.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Cabela's has a nice sale on their SOG field pup knives.
  Definitely not their top of the line knife, but a very good value.  4" Stainless, full tang, nice handle, leather sheath $12.99.  Picked up 2, razor sharp right out of the box.  Impressive knife for that price.  Has a 7Cr17mov blade, which is a softer steel.  They will probably sell out fast.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Sog makes a Solid knife and my 8OT  is still doing fine.

DeltaBoy

The Taylor made Old Timer still trucking along.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Sivad

ThisTeetsTaken

I had an Old Timer for many years that had a horse pick on it. It was a great knife.  The horse pick was very handy.  I need to find another one.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DeltaBoy

Look on EBay for a USA one or get a Taylor made one. The Saddleman is the name they call them.

DeltaBoy

I'm still running it through my EDC rotation. It holding up in my pocket of junk and needs very little maintenance. 

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

It still doing a fine job.  :razorback: :razorback:

DeltaBoy

Cutting sting opening mail and slicing fruit it just works.

DeltaBoy

ronmahony

You just can't beat a Schrade I have an Uncle Henry 152UH my step dad gave me a long time ago. At first around 76-77 he gave me an Old Timer just like it, great hunting knife, around three inch blade with a little curve to it. Well about twenty years ago he asked me if I still had it, sure u said. He asked to see it, took it out and put this Uncle Henry in the case, bone handled, beautiful knife. I have no idea how long he had it, or how many deer it has dressed, but it has been a lot. I imagine I will give it to one of my sons or grandsons, just don't know which one. I like your updates and the looks of it, maybe I'll buy enough to give one to all of them.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

DeltaBoy

You can still get the USA ones off Ebay and I gotten several.  I grabbed this Taylor made on cause it was dirt cheap and looked ok.  I got it in my pocket this week for another round of in the field testing.

DeltaBoy

It cut everything I needed to cut this past week with no issues.

DeltaBoy

IMABIELEMA

I appreciate the laughs DB
Picture of OP:

DeltaBoy

Ex-Trumpet

There's a TSA agent in Calgary that is now the proud owner of my late 80's model Old Timer.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 19, 2016, 08:09:58 am
There's a TSA agent in Calgary that is now the proud owner of my late 80's model Old Timer.

LOL

David†

Hows that knife working?

I have lost 3 knives to tsa.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: David† on October 20, 2016, 08:33:02 pm
Hows that knife working?

I have lost 3 knives to tsa.

Stopping it on some Leather and it been doing just fine.  It has good Walk n Talk so far.

DeltaBoy

I carry this knife some weeks and on some weekends it cuts what ever needs to be cut or opened.  Give them a try I firmly believe you will be happy with your purchase.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

It still getting rotated with the rest of my Stockmans .  I do a one year up date some times in Jan 2017.

ThisTeetsTaken

My favorite pocket knife is an Old Timer with a "hoof pick".  That pick comes in handy.  Good knife.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 22, 2016, 02:45:12 pm
My favorite pocket knife is an Old Timer with a "hoof pick".  That pick comes in handy.  Good knife.

They were called the Saddleman .They are still making them, seen them on Amazon.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 23, 2016, 10:03:47 am
They were called the Saddleman .They are still making them, seen them on Amazon.
This is what I'm talking about.

DeltaBoy