Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NMSU - Good - Bad - Ugly

Started by 31to6, September 30, 2017, 06:39:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

31to6

Just got back from the game.

Every win is a good win, but here are my perceptions:

Good
-AA was able to spread the ball around. Hope is a sign of improvement and not a reflection of the competition.
-All 3 RBs played well.
-Aggies could not run the ball--with a very talented RB.
-Game was never in doubt
-Good tackling on D.

Bad
-Not enough pressure on the QB. He had forever to throw on most downs.
-Their WR had big cushions and got separation at will.
-OL was swiss cheese.

Ugly
-Our red zone offense was embarrassingly bad.

Final Note:
-Team improved. Hope they can carry some momentum to Sakerlina!

#WPS

sowmonella

Question about the ugly, didn't we score every time  we were in the red zone? Maybe once we didn't, ???
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ToddW

Pretty sure the reference is to the 10 plays it took to get a TD in the red zone.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

31to6

Quote from: sowmonella on September 30, 2017, 06:42:41 pm
Question about the ugly, didn't we score every time  we were in the red zone? Maybe once we didn't, ???
Was thinking of this drive:
1st and 10 at NMSU 16
(11:21 - 3rd) David Williams run for 7 yds to the NMxSt 9
2nd and 3 at NMSU 9
(11:21 - 3rd) David Williams run for 2 yds to the NMxSt 7
3rd and 1 at NMSU 7
(11:21 - 3rd) David Williams run for 4 yds to the NMxSt 3 for a 1ST down
1st and Goal at NMSU 3
(11:21 - 3rd) David Williams run for 2 yds to the NMxSt 1
2nd and Goal at NMSU 1
(11:21 - 3rd) David Williams run for a loss of 2 yards to the NMxSt 3
(3:26 - 3rd) Timeout NEW MEXICO ST, clock 03:26
3rd and Goal at NMSU 3
(3:26 - 3rd) Cole Kelley pass incomplete to Deon Stewart, PENALTY NMSU pass interference (Jaden Wright) 1 yards to the NMSU2, 1ST DOWN AR, NO PLAY.
1st and Goal at NMSU 2
(3:26 - 3rd) NEW MEXICO ST Penalty, substitution infraction (1 Yards) to the NMxSt 1
1st and Goal at NMSU 1
(3:26 - 3rd) David Williams run for a loss of 2 yards to the NMxSt 3
2nd and Goal at NMSU 3
(3:26 - 3rd) Austin Allen pass incomplete
3rd and Goal at NMSU 3
(2:30 - 3rd) Austin Allen pass complete to Jonathan Nance for 3 yds for a TD, (Connor Limpert KICK)

31to6

Quote from: ToddW on September 30, 2017, 06:46:22 pm
Pretty sure the reference is to the 10 plays it took to get a TD in the red zone.
yes. And on some level the results are all that matter.

But we have seen the same tendency over and over the last three years:
We *think* we are a power running team that can just punch the ball into the EZ if we get 1st and goal at the 3.

But we ARE NOT. And we get stuffed repeatedly even by mediocre defenses.

We need more creativity in red zone play calling. We are not Wisconsin.

Oklahawg

By and large, a vanilla effort that resulted in an easy win.

Looked like AA was able to build chemistry with a couple of WR + TE.

Defense had an aamazing rushing effort when they were really set up to play soft coverage to keep everything in front, waiting for NMSU to make the mistakes. That is a fine combination.

We can nitpick a lot, but we could have squashed them a lot worse than we did. Scott (WR) is the real deal - good for Curl and Calloway to get reps against him.

Too bad we had a late Blake Johnson sighting! One punt today.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

snoot hoggy hog

Good to see CBB go for it on 4th down.
The Steamboat got docked today
Williams gotta stop the Dancing with the Stars audition
Cantrell, blocking doesn't mean the ball when its thrown to you.
We need to recruit some linebackers, actual linebackers.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 30, 2017, 07:52:23 pm

Defense had an aamazing rushing effort when they were really set up to play soft coverage to keep everything in front, waiting for NMSU to make the mistakes. That is a fine combination.

We can nitpick a lot, but we could have squashed them a lot worse than we did. Scott (WR) is the real deal - good for Curl and Calloway to get reps against him.

Vanilla effort. The Razorbacks cannot afford a vanilla effort abasing any team. That this occurred is a huge negative.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Yamahog

a0ashle

I think there is a lot of selective memory. We remember the 1 drive that spent a quarter in the red zone, and forget 3 other entries that were efficient. I get that it's a sensitive area from games past, but going 4-4 in the red zone is improvement, and actually getting TD and not deflating on the 10 play red zone trip is an improvement too.

Dark Helmet Hog

"Vanilla" seems to be a term used every time we paly a cupcake team. Hmmm.

jkstock04

Vanilla effort? Ya I'm not seeing this. The Hogs had nothing to be Vanilla about. We can't afford to overlook anyone.

We gave them our best shot and they gave us theirs. If we had come out Vanilla or flat this was a game we could've lost.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

AirWarren

I'm still having a hard time understanding why we are getting whipped at the LOS most of the game with our offensive line?

A win is a win. Ready to see it transition over to SEC play.

LJHOG

I saw nothing in the game to indicate CBB needs to be retained for another season.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on September 30, 2017, 09:22:20 pm
Good to see CBB go for it on 4th down.
The Steamboat got docked today
Williams gotta stop the Dancing with the Stars audition
Cantrell, blocking doesn't mean the ball when its thrown to you.
We need to recruit some linebackers, actual linebackers.
Spot on and valid points!!! On to USC(e)...

FANONTHEHILL

Four red zone possessions and 28 points.  I hope we stay ugly all season.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

JaketheSnake

Quote from: LJHOG on October 01, 2017, 08:56:40 am
I saw nothing in the game to indicate CBB needs to be retained for another season.
So you must have thought, before the game, that CBB could win your support back with a convincing victory? 

jkstock04

Anyone have our 3rd down conversion %? That was impressive impressive to me. We looked good on 3rd downs when we had to convert.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

SemperFi

Quote from: a0ashle on October 01, 2017, 08:35:57 am
I think there is a lot of selective memory. We remember the 1 drive that spent a quarter in the red zone, and forget 3 other entries that were efficient. I get that it's a sensitive area from games past, but going 4-4 in the red zone is improvement, and actually getting TD and not deflating on the 10 play red zone trip is an improvement too.

It was against NMS....New Mexison State! While we were showing improvement against a Sun Belt team, Georgia was blanking Tenner, Bama was thoroughly embarrassing Ole Miss and Auburn was crushing MSU. All SEC teams with SEC caliber Defenses and Offenses. I'm happy for the win, but don't be fooled by the level of competition.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

JaketheSnake

Quote from: SemperFi on October 01, 2017, 09:07:51 am
It was against NMS....New Mexison State! While we were showing improvement against a Sun Belt team, Georgia was blanking Tenner, Bama was thoroughly embarrassing Ole Miss and Auburn was crushing MSU. All SEC teams with SEC caliber Defenses and Offenses. I'm happy for the win, but don't be fooled by the level of competition.
This thread is about the NM ST game.  Seeing some positives doesn't mean we are a new team that's going to go out and whip Bama... everyone knows that.  We are trying to see if we can get to 6-8 wins this season.

The announcers takes yesterday about us being in a rebuilding season after losing so many contributing seniors last year.  That's something that doesn't get mentioned arnd here much.

lakecityhog

Jake, based on your theory last year should have been BB's year, I mean so many contributing seniors and all. Instead of winning 9 or 10 like we could have we finish 7-6. So what does that tell you?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 01, 2017, 09:38:13 am
Jake, based on your theory last year should have been BB's year, I mean so many contributing seniors and all. Instead of winning 9 or 10 like we could have we finish 7-6. So what does that tell you?
Losing a bunch of seniors and replacing them with young guys doesn't mean we just came of a great season.  Still, we al know last year SHOULD have been 9 wins without the collapse vs Mizzou and VTech.

Point still being that this thread is about our game yesterday.  Not last year, not in the future.

redneckfriend

Agree with op. Allen passed well and the receivers caught the ball. the O-Line did not look good- who where those guys coming in free on passing plays? Not the front four I hope. The passing defense was a shambles against what seemed to be a good QB and a good wideout but they did stop the run. Very little pressure on the quarterback who had far too long and I can't imagine NMST has an SEC caliber O-Line. I thought running was adequate but on the drive mentioned it reminded me of Peyton Hillis on the goal line against Vanderbilt- before Nutt got religion and started using Darren McFadden. If they can't punch it in against NMST they won't be able to against any SEC opponent (and will they gain 30 yards rushing total against Auburn?)

Bottom line: with this pass defense and only a fair running game Allen will need to have career nights every night in the SEC to be competitive and that may be hard with this O-Line. So far I haven't seen an SEC quarterback who looks like the real deal but with the pass rush Arkansas is generating they may look like Heisman candidates when they play Arkansas.

a0ashle

Quote from: SemperFi on October 01, 2017, 09:07:51 am

As if we haven't laid an egg against G5 team before.

Part of your problem is you are too busy feeling sorry for yourself because you aren't a Bama or Georgia fan.

If we show improvement, we show improvement. Why the mention of an improvement is so upsetting to you, I don't know.

Oklahawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 01, 2017, 09:00:13 am

Nothing sexy, but it worked. Thus, my term "vanilla." I didn't see a lot of razzle dazzle or new wrinkles, thus "vanilla."

I agree, stay "ugly" as long as it works this well.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SemperFi

Quote from: a0ashle on October 01, 2017, 10:24:33 am
As if we haven't laid an egg against G5 team before.

Part of your problem is you are too busy feeling sorry for yourself because you aren't a Bama or Georgia fan.

If we show improvement, we show improvement. Why the mention of an improvement is so upsetting to you, I don't know.

Never said that I was upset and the title of the thread is the good, bad and the ugly. So, in an effort to make you feel all warm and fuzzy about beating an average Sun Belt team here is my good:

1. The offense can score points

And there you have it. I sure hope that I was able to provide a little more sunshine in your life. BTW, I am all Razorback, so don't presume that you know me. I'm just done living with my head stuck in the sand.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: AP85 on October 01, 2017, 08:52:35 am
I'm still having a hard time understanding why we are getting whipped at the LOS most of the game with our offensive line?

A win is a win. Ready to see it transition over to SEC play.
You are going to see real country arse kickings in SEC play this year. Alabama and Auburn will beat us like we are red-headed step-children. Much like their respective wins over Ole Miss and Miss St yesterday.

A win at home over New Mexican State is not anything to get hopes up for rest of games.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 01, 2017, 09:03:42 am
Anyone have our 3rd down conversion %? That was impressive impressive to me. We looked good on 3rd downs when we had to convert.
9 for 13 on 3rd (69%)
2 for 3 on 4th (67%)
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

FrozenHam

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 01, 2017, 08:46:49 am
"Vanilla" seems to be a term used every time we paly a cupcake team. Hmmm.

Important and prescient pattern.  Well done, Dark one.

WaltonCollege

The Good: Running game found a little breathing room, Nance looks like a solid #1 wr option, our D held a bad running team to little run yards.

The Bad: Our pass pro is still a major liability, TEs need to come along quicker, no one outside Agim can get pressure on defense, no depth at linebacker, our overall coverage skills are lacking, Liddell struggles finishing tackles.

The Ugly: LSU, Mizzou, Miss State, USCe, heck who knows might actually win 6 and make a bowl woo hoo! What a time to be a live baby!!!

31to6

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 01, 2017, 09:00:13 am
Do you not remember that "ugly" red zone offense getting stuffed repeatedly last season? (we were 100th in the nation and 10th in the SEC, FYI, scoring TDs on only 61% of possessions.) Do you not recall coming up empty on both red zone possessions against TCU?

Yes, I hope the team manages to be effective in the red zone all season.

But when you are playing lesser competition, you can't just say "hey, we scored a lot on NMSU" and call it a projection for the season.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 31to6 on October 01, 2017, 07:50:04 pm
Do you not remember that "ugly" red zone offense getting stuffed repeatedly last season? (we were 100th in the nation and 10th in the SEC, FYI, scoring TDs on only 61% of possessions.) Do you not recall coming up empty on both red zone possessions against TCU?

Yes, I hope the team manages to be effective in the red zone all season.

But when you are playing lesser competition, you can't just say "hey, we scored a lot on NMSU" and call it a projection for the season.

In the red zone yesterday they evolved and spread things out.  Success is succeed regardless of who the opponent is.   Four for four in the red zone is something to build on.  I'm glad they're opening up the playbook.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: 31to6 on September 30, 2017, 06:53:42 pm

We *think* we are a power running team that can just punch the ball into the EZ if we get 1st and goal at the 3.

SPREAD the FIELD when in those situations.....
The rest of the frog.

island hog

The pass D looked better when we played the CBs up on the receivers and bringing an LB.  gave their QB less times and fewer options

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 09:40:09 am
Losing a bunch of seniors and replacing them with young guys doesn't mean we just came of a great season.  Still, we al know last year SHOULD have been 9 wins without the collapse vs Mizzou and VTech.

Point still being that this thread is about our game yesterday.  Not last year, not in the future.

I get it, but I can't buy we should have won 9. We collapsed, because we were still a work in progress.  I'd get behind 8 wins, because we were simply better than MO.  That game was an abomination and an anomaly.  I think VT just showed they were better. 

Heck, a valid argument could be made that we should have lost to TCU.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

KennyForAD

Quote from: 31to6 on September 30, 2017, 06:53:42 pm

Bingo!  Under BB, Arkansas is dead last, of all of the P5 teams, in yards gained in power rushing situations.  Its like some kind of mind trick on our fans.  They think we are a good power rushing team, when in reality, we are THE worst.

ballz2thewall

about our blocking on run plays..........

when the play is in a direction opposite a respective tackle, they DO NOT try to block the defender, at all.

it's by design.

many times this defender is able to cause disruption in the play.

i mentioned this in another thread. these are not whiffs but designed.

and before it's mentioned, the tackle isn't on an assignment to block elsewhere, he's just sorta mingling.

The rest of the frog.

Tejano Jawg

This is something I thought about during the game. Maybe I felt like I had the luxury of seeing positives when their big WR was making catches, since the game wasn't really in doubt. It's good our young DBs got to see a guy like this, up close, making catches when we were actually in position to make a play. That is, HOPEFULLY it was a learning experience for them.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

DeltaBoy

As long as we continue to play better and do some things to win games I am happy.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.