Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What record is just good enough for our BB team????

Started by nwahogfan1, May 19, 2015, 08:17:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 19, 2015, 03:43:16 pm
He may get to ride the plane... He is not in Living Rooms ever ever ever!
hates cold cuts?

Kevin

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 19, 2015, 03:43:16 pm
He may get to ride the plane... He is not in Living Rooms ever ever ever!

Does he go to events & watch players?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Jborohog09

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2015, 03:42:00 pm
You think winning at least 22 games and having a winning conference record in the SEC each year is asking too much? Wasn't that a selling point of Anderson? That he gets programs turned around and makes the NCAAs every year once he does so? He just won 27 games and got us into the tournament. Hasn't he turned it around enough to have the relatively meager expectation of at least 22 wins each year and an NCAA birth? I mean, that's not outlandish by any stretch of the imagination. It's not even all that successful.
First NOBODY makes the NCAA EVERY YEAR contrary to popular belief these days. Second, he just made the NCAA tourney this past season and we don't know what next season holds. He didn't step into a program that was a consistent winner, he was hired because we have sucked for an awful long time. Then again I am sure there are some UCLA fans who still think going undefeated and winning consecutive NCs is still realistic for that program.

I am not thrilled with the roster, but then again I am not being paid to win with them. While many are freaking out CMA might be looking at the roster and believes he has the pieces to put together another good season. Only time will tell.

UNCLE BACK

Hawg Red

Rude, you don't actually have to make the NCAA tournament every single season to still have that expectation level. There are plenty of programs that make it 8 or 9 years out of 10, and that's completely realistic. We should be in the same boat.

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2015, 09:09:45 pm
Rude, you don't actually have to make the NCAA tournament every single season to still have that expectation level. There are plenty of programs that make it 8 or 9 years out of 10, and that's completely realistic. We should be in the same boat.
We should be in the same boat? Why, because that is what you want? We have been a far cry from that for a very long time.

The program was allowed to slide to the bottom of importance for well over a decade even by sec basketball standards. But now we should compare ourselves and accomplish what the elite programs accomplish year in and year out? Sorry but in the real world that is not how it happens.

Check out Indiana, another once elite program that wasn't that far from it's good years when Crean took over, he has struggled with trying to get that program consistent too.

Hawg Red

I don't think it's asking too much to be among the top 68 teams each year. Gonna be a year here and there where you're off and make the NIT, but just making the tournament shouldn't be a monumental task for someone with Anderson's rep of turning programs around, right? Things weren't so bad when he took over that we can't expect to at least make the Dance each year by Year 5. I'm not lowering that bar. You can keep lowering it if you want. I'd be curious to check your post history from back when MA was hired to see what your stated expectation level was.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: rude1 on May 19, 2015, 09:54:38 pm
We should be in the same boat? Why, because that is what you want? We have been a far cry from that for a very long time.

The program was allowed to slide to the bottom of importance for well over a decade even by sec basketball standards. But now we should compare ourselves and accomplish what the elite programs accomplish year in and year out? Sorry but in the real world that is not how it happens.

Check out Indiana, another once elite program that wasn't that far from it's good years when Crean took over, he has struggled with trying to get that program consistent too.
I bet Howland, Barnes, and Pearl get it done at those BB powerhouse schools they are at. Dumpster fires at all 3 and they will get it done, don't tell me MA shouldn't be getting it done with all the tools he has at his disposal! Like I have said in other threads, I give him a high C so far, but this seemingly failure in recruiting this spring makes me think he is going the wrong direction next season.

3kgthog

No other program that claims to be as great as we do would accept what is about to be 1 NCAAT appearance in 5 years. That's truly pathetic. It's not like this program was ransacked by the NCAA and left on the side of the road. This was an easier rebuild than many will ever admit and it occurred smack in the middle of some very lean years in the SEC.

GlassofSwine

May 20, 2015, 08:16:26 am #60 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:28:25 am by GlassofSwine
Quote from: 3kgthog on May 20, 2015, 08:02:29 am
No other program that claims to be as great as we do would accept what is about to be 1 NCAAT appearance in 5 years. That's truly pathetic. It's not like this program was ransacked by the NCAA and left on the side of the road. This was an easier rebuild than many will ever admit and it occurred smack in the middle of some very lean years in the SEC.

Contrary to your opinion, the SEC being down has not helped . If the SEC would have been rated as a better conference in 2014, Arkansas would have gotten in the tournament. Quite a few teams from stronger conferences made it in as at-large bids that had worse records in 2014. Further evidence in 2015 when the SEC scheduled better, the SEC had 2 teams in the tournament with the same or worse record that Arkansas had last year and another in LSU that had 1 more win and the same number of losses.

UNCLE BACK

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on May 19, 2015, 07:58:48 pm
First NOBODY makes the NCAA EVERY YEAR contrary to popular belief these days. Second, he just made the NCAA tourney this past season and we don't know what next season holds. He didn't step into a program that was a consistent winner, he was hired because we have sucked for an awful long time. Then again I am sure there are some UCLA fans who still think going undefeated and winning consecutive NCs is still realistic for that program.

I am not thrilled with the roster, but then again I am not being paid to win with them. While many are freaking out CMA might be looking at the roster and believes he has the pieces to put together another good season. Only time will tell.
While much of what you have to say is true it does not make FANS from wanting more than just getting to the DANCE and barely Winning against a lower ranked team in the first round.

I do agree going to the Dance every year might be out of reach we should be in the talk every single year.  We just have to finish in the top 3 or 4 in the SEC and win 22+ games and you are in the talk every single year.  Can we stay in the talk up to the last week?  Can we do that with our Facilities and Monies we pay our Coaches?   I think so.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 20, 2015, 08:45:05 am
While much of what you have to say is true it does not make FANS from wanting more than just getting to the DANCE and barely Winning against a lower ranked team in the first round.

I do agree going to the Dance every year might be out of reach we should be in the talk every single year.  We just have to finish in the top 3 or 4 in the SEC and win 22+ games and you are in the talk every single year.  Can we stay in the talk up to the last week?  Can we do that with our Facilities and Monies we pay our Coaches?   I think so.

Everyone would love to go to the Dance and have a deep run every year but apparently few of our fans realize it has been 20 years since we made the Sweet Sixteen. 15 years since we won the SEC tournament and 22 years since we won the SEC in the regular season. This idea that Arkansas is still a top team is not based in reality. The glory years of Arkansas basketball lasted only 19 years from Eddie Sutton's 3rd season to Nolan's 7th. We have now been irrelevant longer than we were relevant.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 08:56:30 am
  Everyone would love to go to the Dance and have a deep run every year but apparently few of our fans realize it has been 20 years since we made the Sweet Sixteen. 15 years since we won the SEC tournament and 22 years since we won the SEC in the regular season. This idea that Arkansas is still a top team is not based in reality. The glory years of Arkansas basketball lasted only 19 years from Eddie Sutton's 3rd season to Nolan's 7th. We have now been irrelevant longer than we were relevant.
Plus 1 for the AVATAR.. Question is, what brand of Cold Cuts is that?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 08:56:30 am
So, because Frank and John White screwed up, we should ignore our programs documented potential and accept our modern mediocrity as the new program standard?

All Gas, No Brakes!

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on May 19, 2015, 09:08:01 am
apparently, for about 90% of the fans, record does not matter as long as Mike is still here, stirring warm fuzzy memories of 20+ years ago that they can cling to.

At this point, year FIVE, there is no excuse to already be in rebuilding.

Please name a year where losing your two best players isn't a rebuilding situation at the University of Arkansas.

I will be waiting.

Hawg Red

You guys can call me whatever you want, or think whatever you want of my expectations, but I will never, NEVER, lower my expectations to include not making the NCAA tournament on any given year. I'm not talking about going to the Sweet 16 some set number of times in a range of years, or expecting more than that. I'm talking about just making the NCAA tournament. Will always be my baseline expectation, and anything less will be considered a disappointment and below standard. Part of being a fan is being disappointed at times, but lowering your expectations to accommodate mediocrity is not something I'm willing to do. Things were not so bad under Heath and Pelphrey that we should be doing that, IMO.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 20, 2015, 09:01:49 am
Plus 1 for the AVATAR.. Question is, what brand of Cold Cuts is that?

I actually pulled it from the Harps website on the Deli page.  ;)

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 20, 2015, 09:09:10 am
So, because Frank and John White screwed up, we should ignore our programs documented potential and accept our modern mediocrity as the new program standard?

I never stated such, I believe the potential is there but acting like we should be achieving it easily is ignoring 20 years of mediocrity. The players we are recruiting have no memory of Arkansas being relevant. Today, Arkansas basketball is as relevant as it has been in 20 years.

HoopS

I still expect the NCAAT every year. That said, we lost a HUGE portion of our scoring in that 27 win season and common sense tells me that the odds are high that we won't duplicate that win total and without seeing the schedule or finished roster, it is hard to even hazard a guess at this point. But I expect to see solid player development and recruiting over this next season or I will voice my displeasure.

rude1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 19, 2015, 11:05:59 pm
I bet Howland, Barnes, and Pearl get it done at those BB powerhouse schools they are at. Dumpster fires at all 3 and they will get it done, don't tell me MA shouldn't be getting it done with all the tools he has at his disposal! Like I have said in other threads, I give him a high C so far, but this seemingly failure in recruiting this spring makes me think he is going the wrong direction next season.
Yet Howland & Barnes were fired from better jobs because they couldn't win enough. I think I will wait and see before I declare how they are going to get it done at smaller programs.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 19, 2015, 09:20:16 am
Lets get off is he hungry side line and focus on results.  What results do we expect from our BB program no matter who is the Coach.

We're past the years now of Mike being new to the job and this team is all his.  We shouldn't be in rebuilding mode already, I don't care that we lost Portis and Qualls to the NBA, that happens to most teams in the NCAA every year that players are not yet Seniors.  We have the facilities as a poster above pointed out, we should be a Top 20 or a Top 15 Program almost every year.  We pay our Coaches well, we can expect high expectations from them.  We've waited patiently on CMA to get his system going and his players together, he now has that.  There is no reason for a drop-off now and we should be back in the NCAA Tourney again this upcoming Season with at least the same results we had this previous Season, with better the following season.  We've had enough of the dark ages of basketball, from here on out we should expect every season to end with that NCA bid and a deep run in the Tournament.  I hope this isn't just my thoughts.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on May 20, 2015, 12:07:19 pm
We're past the years now of Mike being new to the job and this team is all his.  We shouldn't be in rebuilding mode already, I don't care that we lost Portis and Qualls to the NBA, that happens to most teams in the NCAA every year that players are not yet Seniors.  We have the facilities as a poster above pointed out, we should be a Top 20 or a Top 15 Program almost every year.  We pay our Coaches well, we can expect high expectations from them.  We've waited patiently on CMA to get his system going and his players together, he now has that.  There is no reason for a drop-off now and we should be back in the NCAA Tourney again this upcoming Season with at least the same results we had this previous Season, with better the following season.  We've had enough of the dark ages of basketball, from here on out we should expect every season to end with that NCA bid and a deep run in the Tournament.  I hope this isn't just my thoughts.

Can you name one coach who always has their team improving results every year?

LAHogfan123

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 12:16:15 pm

If you would get the drift of my comment you would realize what I meant.  There are many Coaches out there that make subtle improvements to their teams each and every year.  They have to, because the way the game is played changes and the rules change as well, so the Coaches have to teach and recruit kids to play to the styles of play that are needed.  Look at some of your longest tenured Coaches in the game, Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, they've all made improvements to their teams consistently over the years.  They didn't sit back and rely on the same thing every year to win, they continued to recruit harder and change incrementally their game to go with the rule changes and the different styles of basketball being played and tried over the years.  Look at Nolan, when Nolan had MayDay and Company, and even by the time we won the National Championship, the NCAA had changed the rules just because of Nolans style.  They changed it even more after the title years on hand checking.  If you don't change your game with it, you're left in the dust, so Nolan had to change his style to suit to the new changes.  Nolan was a pioneer, if the NCAA had left the rules the same Nolan would probably have won more than one Title for the Hogs.

Kevin

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 12:16:15 pm

Well according to the mike can do no wrong crowd, it was such a dumpster fire he took over, shouldn't his record have improved each year.

I am not saying he should win 27 next year, but it is year five, we should at least expect the program to be solid enough to make the tournament
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

MikePiazza

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 12:35:23 pm
Well according to the mike can do no wrong crowd, it was such a dumpster fire he took over, shouldn't his record have improved each year.

I am not saying he should win 27 next year, but it is year five, we should at least expect the program to be solid enough to make the tournament

I think people on both sides should agree with this. The drop off doesn't need to be too steep that no postseason play occurs, but it's highly unlikely that 27 wins and a Round of 32 appearance will be duplicated.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Kevin

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 20, 2015, 12:39:01 pm
I think people on both sides should agree with this. The drop off doesn't need to be too steep that no postseason play occurs, but it's highly unlikely that 27 wins and a Round of 32 appearance will be duplicated.

I bet one side will not agree

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 12:35:23 pm

Well first, it has improved every year, but that is a trend that no one can live up to over the long haul. The greatest coaches in college basketball have had down years after good years. Acting like MA should somehow be different is ridiculous.

psooie

1) making the ncaa every year
2) having a final four type team every couple of years

If the hogs don't make the tourney next year, than year 6th should be extremely hotseat for Anderson. IT should take an outstanding year 6th for him to stay as coach.

Kevin

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 12:44:24 pm
  Well first, it has improved every year, but that is a trend that no one can live up to over the long haul. The greatest coaches in college basketball have had down years after good years. Acting like MA should somehow be different is ridiculous.

There is no reasoning with some of you

Sorry if I have a higher expectation of the program than you do. Plus, I would be saying the same thing if we had hired another coach, and it was the same situation

GlassofSwine

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on May 20, 2015, 12:31:58 pm
If you would get the drift of my comment you would realize what I meant.  There are many Coaches out there that make subtle improvements to their teams each and every year.  They have to, because the way the game is played changes and the rules change as well, so the Coaches have to teach and recruit kids to play to the styles of play that are needed.  Look at some of your longest tenured Coaches in the game, Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, they've all made improvements to their teams consistently over the years.  They didn't sit back and rely on the same thing every year to win, they continued to recruit harder and change incrementally their game to go with the rule changes and the different styles of basketball being played and tried over the years.  Look at Nolan, when Nolan had MayDay and Company, and even by the time we won the National Championship, the NCAA had changed the rules just because of Nolans style.  They changed it even more after the title years on hand checking.  If you don't change your game with it, you're left in the dust, so Nolan had to change his style to suit to the new changes.  Nolan was a pioneer, if the NCAA had left the rules the same Nolan would probably have won more than one Title for the Hogs.

So you are saying this statement:

QuoteThere is no reason for a drop-off now and we should be back in the NCAA Tourney again this upcoming Season with at least the same results we had this previous Season, with better the following season. 

was unintended and what you really meant to say was that Mike Anderson should continue to work hard and improve as a coach.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 12:48:41 pm
There is no reasoning with some of you

Sorry if I have a higher expectation of the program than you do. Plus, I would be saying the same thing if we had hired another coach, and it was the same situation

I'm just stating facts, I'm no MA fanboy. I'm sorry that facts upset you.

Kevin

Funny you pick and choose you facts.

You don't want to look at what he left behind at Missouri, in another thread.

Here is the facts, most years he will win 22-23, play in the ncaa's most years, most of those ncaa's years he will not get out of the first weekend.

Fact going into year five, and right now the roster is looking pretty suspect in being able to make the tournament.

Nobody is saying he needs to win more than 27, but yes, the hogs should be in the tournament   

If he just took a team to the ncaa's in his second or third year, then yes, no problem with a down year to build, but not when going into year five.

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 12:48:41 pm

I would be saying the same thing if we had hired another coach, and it was the same situation

So would most them, if it were a coach NOT named Mike Anderson.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

I think Year 6 is looking pretty good, with or without Monk.

- Seniors: Kingsley - we'll have a better indication of where he's really at after this coming season but he could be pretty salty by then; Hannahs - veteran longball threat; Watkins - strong leader and glue guy

-Juniors: Beard - Upperclassmen team leader; Thompson - should be ready to be a solid contributor; Thomas - brings more to the table than Williams or Miles

- Sophomores: Whitt - will be an All-SEC guard; Kapita - should be ready to be a real force provided the hip injury is a thing of the past

Even if we don't get Monk, Mike and co. will sign a couple of pretty solid freshmen. Like a Tyler Cook-type and a Jaylen Fisher-type. I fully believe that. Probably won't be 5-star guys, but some firm 4-star guys (much like this 2015 class). Probably also bring in Daryl Macon and Mitchell Smith and then a couple unknowns. I think we'll be a 24ish win team, probably a 6 or 7 seed.

I just don't see the team making any noise this coming season. Not enough of a mixture of talent and seasoning. Kinda like the 2013-2014 team that had all those senior guards except this team coming up doesn't have a Coty Clarke. Not expecting a lot from Kapita but he could prove to be the X-factor if he's healthy and in shape. Thompson will contribute by default but I still don't think he's truly ready. Will be a good year to develop for him, though. If we end up with a couple good JUCOs or a JUCO and a good grad transfer here late, maybe I'll change my tune.

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on May 20, 2015, 12:59:39 pm
So would most them, if it were a coach NOT named Mike Anderson.

Where do you get those nostalgia glasses, where is see nothing but Thurman making the shot in Charlotte

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 12:58:24 pm
Funny you pick and choose you facts.

You don't want to look at what he left behind at Missouri, in another thread.

Here is the facts, most years he will win 22-23, play in the ncaa's most years, most of those ncaa's years he will not get out of the first weekend.

Fact going into year five, and right now the roster is looking pretty suspect in being able to make the tournament.

Nobody is saying he needs to win more than 27, but yes, the hogs should be in the tournament   

If he just took a team to the ncaa's in his second or third year, then yes, no problem with a down year to build, but not when going into year five.

He left behind what 6 or 7 seniors at Missouri and 9 returning players that went 30-5. The poster was blaming MA for Missouri's woes last season. 4 -years after MA was a coach there.  Seems like since you think it should only take a couple of years to build a basketball program you would be siding with the blame laying at Haith's feet.

I suppose Calapari should be labeled as a bad coach because he only made the NIT after winning the NC. You would have to be a terrible coach to have that kind of drop-off at Kentucky.

Kevin

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:05:55 pm

He left behind what 6 or 7 seniors at Missouri and 9 returning players that went 30-5. The poster was blaming MA for Missouri's woes last season. 4 -years after MA was a coach there.  Seems like since you think it should only take a couple of years to build a basketball program you would be siding with the blame laying at Haith's feet.

I suppose Calapari should be labeled as a bad coach because he only made the NIT after winning the NC. You would have to be a terrible coach to have that kind of drop-off at Kentucky.
The guys was stating cma left behind unbalanced classes when he left.

Now somebody brought up Kentucky before.

Before the nit
Elite eight
Final four
National title
Then how many were lost to the nba, I bet more then two

If cma ever did that then, yeah, maybe I down year is not a killer 
Plus, how many of those guys on the nit team went to the nba, then what was the result the next year?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 01:14:50 pm
The guys was stating cma left behind unbalanced classes when he left.

Now somebody brought up Kentucky before.

Before the nit
Elite eight
Final four
National title
Then how many were lost to the nba, I bet more then two

If cma ever did that then, yeah, maybe I down year is not a killer 
Plus, how many of those guys on the nit team went to the nba, then what was the result the next year?

I know what he was stating and 3 years should be plenty of time to correct the issue and develop some talent. Or do you simply give Haith more leeway than Anderson?

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:05:55 pm

You didn't read my post then.  I said Anderson AND Haith contributed to the total tear down this past year.  Anderson's unbalanced classes led to transfer U which led to KA tearing it down and starting all over again this year. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:18:32 pm
  I know what he was stating and 3 years should be plenty of time to correct the issue and develop some talent. Or do you simply give Haith more leeway than Anderson?

And three years is what KA will get since he is starting over from scratch.  Haith had to rely on transfers to achieve balance and didn't get to start with the luxury of several freshman to build upon like MA did at Arkansas.  Sadly Anderson ran them all off, along with a few older guys, but he had the opportunity at least to start with some young guys to build upon and didn't have to bring in JUCO's who could play immediately as the foundation of the team. 

Kevin

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:18:32 pm

I don't give Haith any leeway. He is not a very good coach

GlassofSwine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 01:22:31 pm
You didn't read my post then.  I said Anderson AND Haith contributed to the total tear down this past year.  Anderson's unbalanced classes led to transfer U which led to KA tearing it down and starting all over again this year.

I read it closer than you apparently. You sortof blamed Haith at the tale end as having a portion of blame after stating Anderson was the reason. That is why I called you out on it.

QuoteAppreciate the hell out of that.  He is the reason, and Haith also to some degree

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 01:34:09 pm
I don't give Haith any leeway.

Tough love huh. I mean Haiti is one of the poorest countries on earth, they probably deserve some compassion. Guess I was too slow to beat your spelling edit.

Kevin

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:37:15 pm
Tough love huh. I mean Haiti is one of the poorest countries on earth, they probably deserve some compassion. 

Auto correct got me.

GlassofSwine

Yeah, I was too slow. Oh well, at least we agree on one thing Haith is a bad coach.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:34:18 pm
  I read it closer than you apparently. You sortof blamed Haith at the tale end as having a portion of blame after stating Anderson was the reason. That is why I called you out on it.

I did not sort of blame Haith, I blamed Haith for his part in where Missouri basketball is today.  For whatever reason you just refuse to accept the FACT that MA started the ball rolling by leaving nothing to build on for Haith.  Haith either didn't want to or wouldn't take the chance on the complete tear down and relied on transfers, and both of those situations resulted in last season for Missouri basketball and the complete tear down being done by KA right now. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 01:44:57 pm
Yeah, I was too slow. Oh well, at least we agree on one thing Haith is a bad coach.

He is the Houston Nutt of college basketball.  All rah rah look at me, not a lot of substance.