Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New rule proposals

Started by jry04, May 15, 2015, 12:59:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

The rules being proposed will benefit us greatly, in my opinion. Our style of play will have a much greater impact on the pace of the game.

-Total timeouts reduced from 5 to 4, with no more than 3 allowed to carry over to the next half.

-If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout, the timeout becomes the media timeout.

-Shot clock down to 30 from 35.

-Stricter enforcement of resumption of play following timeouts and foul outs.

Speeding up the game will benefit us greatly.

They have also proposed: No live ball timeouts by coaches.
The backcourt 10 second clock will not reset after a timeout.
-

sasnakrafan

This will help the flow of the game tremendously-- now the only thing is to make sure the SEC refs don't blow the whistle 80x during the game and having teams shoot a combine 60+ free throws.

This is going to help us shutdown our opponents and have them throw in the towel with 4-6 minutes left as oppose to 2-4 minutes left(where we lost a lot of game 2 seasons ago).

hogsanity

I like all of those except the shot clock, BUT speeding up the game DOES NOT benefit the Hogs. The benefit of playing a fast paced tempo is that it is something foreign to many teams, speeding up the game just makes EVERYONE play at that tempo. The only way to be uptempo with those rules would be to be Loyola Marymount with Gathers, and crew fast.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 01:05:44 pm
I like all of those except the shot clock, BUT speeding up the game DOES NOT benefit the Hogs. The benefit of playing a fast paced tempo is that it is something foreign to many teams, speeding up the game just makes EVERYONE play at that tempo. The only way to be uptempo with those rules would be to be Loyola Marymount with Gathers, and crew fast.
Currently, it will help the Hogs. We have recruited to play fast, while other teams haven't. A lot of teams like to use the full 30+ seconds so that the defense has to guard them for the full duration. We do not do well playing teams like that. The fewer timeouts will also benefit us in the long run if we control the tempo.

HawgAdvocate

BUT speeding up the game DOES NOT benefit the Hogs. The benefit of playing a fast paced tempo is that it is something foreign to many teams, speeding up the game just makes EVERYONE play at that tempo.

Correct. All programs will now prepare to have more possessions per game, increased scoring, etc. This will bring us back to the pack a bit in terms of preferred tempo.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

WarPig88

Most coaches use a 7 man rotation. Speeding them up will HURT that approach tremendously with less opportunity to rest as well.

The reason a lot more coaches use fewer players is because it easier to keep continuity during substitutions when you only rely on 7 guys for major minutes.

That won't change either because it is very difficult to develop a bench the way MA does in his system. Especially to those who rely heavily on the one and done approach.

jry04

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 15, 2015, 01:19:30 pm
Correct. All programs will now prepare to have more possessions per game, increased scoring, etc. This will bring us back to the pack a bit in terms of preferred tempo.
They won't be able to adjust overnight. Everyone and their mom who covers college basketball right now are tweeting/reporting how this will benefit up-tempo teams. Not really sure how that isn't obvious. Typically, coaches do not change the philosophy they have on basketball. Bo Ryan is not going to all of a sudden recruit and prepare to play fast. He is going to continue to run the system he runs. Ben Howland is not going to recruit for a team that is going to play 9-11 guys, and score 75-80 ppg because of these rule changes.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 15, 2015, 01:20:20 pm
Most coaches use a 7 man rotation. Speeding them up will HURT that approach tremendously with less opportunity to rest as well.

Proof of such wisdom?

The game evolves, and so shall the coaches.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jry04 on May 15, 2015, 01:29:57 pm
They won't be able to adjust overnight. Everyone and their mom who covers college basketball right now are tweeting/reporting how this will benefit up-tempo teams. Not really sure how that isn't obvious. Typically, coaches do not change the philosophy they have on basketball. Bo Ryan is not going to all of a sudden recruit and prepare to play fast. He is going to continue to run the system he runs. Ben Howland is not going to recruit for a team that is going to play 9-11 guys, and score 75-80 ppg because of these rule changes.

It's not such a drastic change that programs will need years to figure it out. Coaches have been asking for this for a long time. The players have been using shorter clocks in every other league they've ever played in.

Teams will be ready to go come this season, no question.

GlassofSwine

I disagree. One of the reasons the Hogs style is effective with the full court press is it limits the amount of time the opposing offense has to set up a play and hold the ball. The full court press will now be more effective as the opposing team will have less time to get  comfortable and set up a play. 5 less seconds will force teams under duress into more poor shots. The average team now shots the ball in under 20 seconds, So the real change is pushing the first shot deeper into the shot clock where teams are apt to make more poor decisions.

z1on

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 15, 2015, 01:41:49 pm
I disagree. One of the reasons the Hogs style is effective with the full court press is it limits the amount of time the opposing offense has to set up a play and hold the ball. The full court press will now be more effective as the opposing team will have less time to get  comfortable and set up a play. 5 less seconds will force teams under duress into more poor shots. The average team now shots the ball in under 20 seconds, So the real change is pushing the first shot deeper into the shot clock where teams are apt to make more poor decisions.
Exactly

Arazorbackguy1

The best part is the last time they made changes to the Shot Clock????  You guessed it, 1993-1994 season.  Let's Go Hogs!
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Deep Shoat

Based on defensive efficiency numbers, I haven't see how the Hogs style IS effective.  We won this season because we had two + scorers to rely on.  When teams limited both, we lost.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jjdlc

I believe this is what will happen as well.

HawgAdvocate

Our full court press is practically done once they cross the timeline, since we fall back to man or some variety of zone. That's 9 seconds or less, since 10 results in a turnover. And the only times we can use it are when we score or off a stoppage of play.

That leaves 21+ seconds for teams to put up a shot, when we score. Plenty of time. When we don't score and there's no stoppage of play, we can't set up the FCP.

Kevin

No to shot clock. Yes to he rest
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2015, 01:53:58 pm
No to shot clock. Yes to he rest
I like the changes, I just don't think they help us.
All Gas, No Brakes!

razorbackfanatic

Besides creating turnovers our style of press is designed to make the other team speed up and play faster than they are used to and this causes quicker shots, unforced turnovers, etc. Shaving 5 seconds off the shot clock is only going to benefit teams like us bc that's now even less time and we generally make teams spend 5-8 seconds getting across the timeline after a made basket. When u play us currently u have to deal with this and now it will be even tougher. When teams play each other that don't play our style the 5 seconds isn't going to change much. It's definitely a small advantage for us IMO.

Kevin

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 15, 2015, 01:55:48 pm
I like the changes, I just don't think they help us.
More possession for weak skilled players will not increase scoring
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2015, 02:08:42 pm
More possession for weak skilled players will not increase scoring

Well, technically, scoring should increase due to increased possessions (shot attempts, FT attempts, etc)...but FG% should decrease, which plays to your point.

This was the result from the 30-second clock testing done for this past season's CBI and NIT.

Kevin

I starting to think less time means less strategy & coaching. Don't know if I sold on that thought, but I am thinking about it

Kevin

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 15, 2015, 02:14:23 pm
Well, technically, scoring should increase due to increased possessions (shot attempts, FT attempts, etc)...but FG% should decrease, which plays to your point.

This was the result from the 30-second clock testing done for this past season's CBI and NIT.

The reason golden state scores so many point they have multiple players who can score, pass & dribble, not because of a shot clock.

There are teams who play with the same clock and struggle to get to 80ppg a game

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 15, 2015, 01:53:04 pm
Our full court press is practically done once they cross the timeline, since we fall back to man or some variety of zone. That's 9 seconds or less, since 10 results in a turnover. And the only times we can use it are when we score or off a stoppage of play.

That leaves 21+ seconds for teams to put up a shot, when we score. Plenty of time. When we don't score and there's no stoppage of play, we can't set up the FCP.

I think everyone understands that we don't press on every possession. That doesn't contradict anything I stated.

A team that runs a slower pace can still run a slower pace with a 30 second clock. Teams don't usually plan on taking a shot in the last 5 seconds of a shot clock. The time difference does one of two things to an offense. Forces them to setup earlier or take a shot deeper into the shot clock. It doesn't force them to run a different offense. Teams that play nuisance defense by pressing and trapping will ideally have teams set their offense later in the shot clock and have more chances to force shots late in the shot clock where poor shot selection is common. That is advantageous to our style.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 15, 2015, 01:51:51 pm
Based on defensive efficiency numbers, I haven't see how the Hogs style IS effective.  We won this season because we had two + scorers to rely on.  When teams limited both, we lost.

Then you should be happy for any rule change that speeds up the pace of play and reduces stoppages of play.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2015, 02:31:32 pm
The reason golden state scores so many point they have multiple players who can score, pass & dribble, not because of a shot clock.

There are teams who play with the same clock and struggle to get to 80ppg a game

GS is the best jump shooting team in the NBA. As you said, they don't have any/many 'weak skilled players.' They're very efficient.

Scoring efficiency (e.g., points/possession) can be a big deal. Tempo increases mean more possessions for teams in a single game and/or season. Give a team 300+ more possessions over the course of a season due to increased tempo, and they'll certainly have more points scored and/or points/game scored. But that also means they took far more shot attempts to get there on a per game basis.

HawgAdvocate

May 15, 2015, 03:16:38 pm #25 Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:53:55 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 15, 2015, 02:58:07 pm
I think everyone understands that we don't press on every possession. That doesn't contradict anything I stated.

A team that runs a slower pace can still run a slower pace with a 30 second clock. Teams don't usually plan on taking a shot in the last 5 seconds of a shot clock. The time difference does one of two things to an offense. Forces them to setup earlier or take a shot deeper into the shot clock. It doesn't force them to run a different offense. Teams that play nuisance defense by pressing and trapping will ideally have teams set their offense later in the shot clock and have more chances to force shots late in the shot clock where poor shot selection is common. That is advantageous to our style.

In theory, our FCP been 'advantageous' even prior to the rule change. Teams will still get it across half-court within 10 seconds, only now they'll have 20+ seconds to run a play and shoot instead of 25+ seconds.

Our pressing and trapping 'nuisance defense' doesn't happen with less than 20 seconds left on the clock, since we'll be in a half-court game by that point in each possession. As you stated, if teams don't normally take a shot until there's five seconds or less left on the shot clock, then we're not really gaining much of an advantage. When teams take their shots, with regards to the time remaining on the clock, will depend on the efficiency of the offense. Are they simply forcing shots, or are they getting open looks earlier than with just 5 seconds remaining?

Lots and and lots of coaches have wanted this shot clock reduction to happen for a good while now. Very few will get caught with their pants down.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 15, 2015, 03:00:36 pm
  Then you should be happy for any rule change that speeds up the pace of play and reduces stoppages of play.
I'm just thinking we'll give up lay ups with 20 seconds on the clock instead of 25.
All Gas, No Brakes!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 15, 2015, 03:16:38 pm
In theory, our FCP been 'advantageous' even prior to the rule change. Teams will still get it across half-court within 10 seconds, only now they'll have 20+ seconds to run a play and shoot instead of 25+ seconds.

Our pressing and trapping 'nuisance defense' doesn't happen with less than 20 seconds left on the clock, since we'll be in a half-court game by that point in each possession. As you stated if teams don't normally take a shot until there's five seconds or less, then we're not really gaining much of an advantage. When teams take their shots, with regards to the time remaining on the clock, will depend on the efficiency of the offense. Are they simply forcing shots, or are they getting open looks earlier than with just 5 seconds remaining?

Lots and and lots of coaches have wanted this shot clock reduction to happen for a good while now. Very few will get caught with their pants down.

When the press wasn't broken down it was advantageous prior to the rule change. The press is primarily a tool to disrupt the pace of the opposing team. 5 seconds is not a huge advantage for our  defense but even if it only offers us a advantage on 1 or 2 possessions a game it could be the difference in winning or losing a game. I personally think the new timeout rules would help us more than the 30 second shot clock. Reduction in the number of stoppages and no timeouts on live balls will allow Arkansas to dictate pace more effectively.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 15, 2015, 03:43:26 pm
I'm just thinking we'll give up lay ups with 20 seconds on the clock instead of 25.

Nolan's teams had the same issue. Even in the NC game we won vs Duke they broke down our press consistently. Every style has weaknesses that can be exploited. 27-9 and #21 in the nation to end the season says our style of play worked far more than it failed.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 15, 2015, 04:04:26 pm
Nolan's teams had the same issue. Even in the NC game we won vs Duke they broke down our press consistently. Every style has weaknesses that can be exploited. 27-9 and #21 in the nation to end the season says our style of play worked far more than it failed.
That's pretty good for every 4th year!  I've been a fool for doubting!!
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

Again, I like the rule proposals, except the shot clock, I just don't think in the long run they benefit the hogs. Forcing more teams to do all the time what the Hogs try to force them to do once or twice a year is not going to help the hogs once teams adjust.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 04:30:57 pm
Again, I like the rule proposals, except the shot clock, I just don't think in the long run they benefit the hogs. Forcing more teams to do all the time what the Hogs try to force them to do once or twice a year is not going to help the hogs once teams adjust.

They should eliminate the shot clock all together like they do in high school.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 15, 2015, 04:05:32 pm

A coaches record in year 4 is meaningless. Plenty of great coaches have had mediocre records in their 4th year. If the program falls apart under MA then he will be gone, if he turns it back into the 2nd best program in the SEC behind Kentucky than he will do as well as the best coach in our history. Why not wait and see what happens before you lament a future that hasn't happened?

King Kong

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 15, 2015, 04:05:32 pm

He when to tourney 6/9 before coming here turn around a UAB that ha. Are you sure this issues was our BBall program that had less than 19wins in 7/10 seasons before MA got here?

Breems

These would all be very beneficial.

Other teams would do what they do faster. We would do what we do better.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

azhog10

It won't. Interesting logic however. Acting like it's easy for coaches to prepare and coach players to play a completely different way than they have their entire career isn't as easy as you seem to think it is.

azhog10

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 15, 2015, 06:35:23 pm

They should eliminate the shot clock all together like they do in high school.
They should add a shot clock in high school.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: azhog10 on May 15, 2015, 08:02:58 pm
It won't. Interesting logic however. Acting like it's easy for coaches to prepare and coach players to play a completely different way than they have their entire career isn't as easy as you seem to think it is.

Exactly.  If the game does go more uptempo, and there are less stoppages in play, we have one of the premier coaches to teach that style. 

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Some of these might help us but most do not IMO. This appears to be an attempt to push offense and make the game more NBA-like with less coaching and more individual play rather than team play. The stricter enforcement of defensive penalties was also mentioned in the article I read and that hurts us. There are already way too many fouls in SEC games especially and now they are wanting officials to enforce defensive penalties even more. Pretty soon you will not be able to play any real on man defense.

The shot close does not really do much to help us. Just means more bad shots and less structured offense.

The time out changes are good, IMO and I wish they went further with them.

I read they widened the lane also, which is probably good overall but does not really affect us a lot.

The_Bionic_Pig

Less Timeouts = More Fatigue

The press is not necessarily their to create a turnover but to make you work hard for 45' instead of 3 player's standing  at the other end of the court awaiting the arrival of the PG power walking/dribbling with token pressure. AKA Big12 ball.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on May 15, 2015, 08:02:58 pm

Please explain how it's completely different. It's not a drastic change. I've not read a single quote from a coach who said this would be a difficult undertaking. All it does is ask certain coaches to better structure their offenses to adjust to the improved flow of the game.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 15, 2015, 09:56:01 pm
Less Timeouts = More Fatigue

The press is not necessarily their to create a turnover but to make you work hard for 45' instead of 3 player's standing  at the other end of the court awaiting the arrival of the PG power walking/dribbling with token pressure. AKA Big12 ball.

Except when you play defense, you're gonna get a foul call for breathing on the guy.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on May 15, 2015, 09:46:14 pm
The stricter enforcement of defensive penalties was also mentioned in the article I read and that hurts us. There are already way too many fouls in SEC games especially and now they are wanting officials to enforce defensive penalties even more.

To me this is the biggest issue among the announced changes that can/will negatively affect programs that like to play physical defense like Arkansas does/has.

Last season was clearly our best under Coach A, but we still ended up giving more FT attempts (789) than any other conference foe (LSU was first with 604). Just among SEC games, only Auburn and South Carolina gave up more.

Those who believe our more aggressive defensive approach will now be much more effective due to a simple five second reduction need to consider that a continued focus on reducing physicality on defense, a further continuation of the rule from two years ago that attempted to clamp down on hand checking, touch fouls, etc, was intended with this change:

QuoteAlthough the reduction in the shot clock to help increase scoring seemed to be the most discussed topic," said Georgia State coach Ron Hunter, the president of the National Association of Basketball coaches, "the increase in the physicality of play has been a major concern for coaches." Coaches who believe in strong defense can teach it within these standards. Defenders, move your feet. Anticipate cutters. Beat guys to a spot. Can't use an arm bar to facilitate that? Too bad. Work harder. Defense can be brilliant, still. Arguably, it will be even more so when bear hugs are removed from the equation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/sports/ncaabasketball/mens-basketball-looks-to-a-30-second-shot-clock-to-speed-game.html?_r=0

QuoteThere ought to be more possessions, if not more made shots. Teams could weaponize the reduced clock defensively, using even token pressure to erode the time an offense can spend finding a shot. Byrd said the committee contemplated that unintended consequence, but the solution there is pretty straightforward, too: Coach your team to dissect pressure better, and the team may find easier chances than it would triggering half-court offense with plenty of time in hand.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/05/15/30-seconds-shot-clock-timeouts-ncaa-rules-changes

QuoteObservers of the sport say there are far fewer teams pressing full court and running on offense -- the type of unique tactics that could make preparation a nightmare for opponents. Most memorably, UNLV ran to a national title in 1990; Arkansas gave opponents "40 Minutes of Hell" to win the 1994 championship; 11th-seeded VCU surprisingly reached the Final Four in 2011 by pressing; and 15th-seeded Florida Gulf Coast freelanced its way to the Sweet 16 in 2013.

"I was a pressing coach for years and years," (Bruce) Pearl said. "I think teams are breaking pressure better. They're better at attacking it. They don't press in the NBA, and the kids with talent, they don't want to press."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/feature/25159712/college-basketballs-crossroads

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 15, 2015, 11:08:20 pm
To me this is the biggest issue among the announced changes that can/will negatively affect programs that like to play physical defense like Arkansas does/has.

Last season was clearly our best under Coach A, but we still ended up giving more FT attempts (789) than any other conference foe (LSU was first with 604). Just among SEC games, only Auburn and South Carolina gave up more.

Those who believe our more aggressive defensive approach will now be much more effective due to a simple five second reduction need to consider that a continued focus on reducing physicality on defense, a further continuation of the rule from two years ago that attempted to clamp down on hand checking, touch fouls, etc, was intended with this change:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/sports/ncaabasketball/mens-basketball-looks-to-a-30-second-shot-clock-to-speed-game.html?_r=0
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/05/15/30-seconds-shot-clock-timeouts-ncaa-rules-changes
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/feature/25159712/college-basketballs-crossroads

Yeah and more FT's equals more points, usually. I like fast play, but I am beginning to think we should focus on fast offense and defense shouldbe more hard nosed half court.

WarPig88

May 16, 2015, 11:59:50 am #44 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:36:29 pm by WarPig88
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 15, 2015, 01:30:21 pm
Proof of such wisdom?

The game evolves, and so shall the coaches.

How about the Nolan Richardson era here. How can you be so daft?

What coaches "adapted" to answer that approach were rules changes that has led college basketball to where it is today.

The vast majority of coaches will NOT adjust their approach on development of their bench because they just don't have it in them to pay the attention to detail and effort that requires.

I coach at the high school level and see it all the time. Players rotting on the bench that can contribute because the coach only "needs" about 7 guys.

It won't change much regardless of how obvious the answer to counter the changes are.

GuvHog

This one is HUGE IMHO:

"The back court 10 second clock will not reset after a timeout."

I've been wanting this change for a very long time. IMHO it will make the full court press more effective.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

latrops

I don't see it.  Yes, teams will have to shoot within 30 seconds rather than 35, and as a result scoring will go up a little....but tempo and pace aren't going to drastically change over 5 seconds.  I don't see how it affects us much at all.  If our defense is working as designed, we are either creating turnovers or forcing such a pace that neither team is taking 30 seconds to shoot anyway.  If our defense isn't creating turnovers or forcing pace, then we just have a typical halfcourt game with a 30 second shot clock rather than a 35 second shot clock.  The more efficient halfcourt team should fare well in that setup regardless of shot clock specifics.

rude1

Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2015, 12:48:28 pm
This one is HUGE IMHO:

"The back court 10 second clock will not reset after a timeout."

I've been wanting this change for a very long time. IMHO it will make the full court press more effective.

Really? The way our press was shredded this is of no benefit to us unless something about the press changes in the future. Many times teams were laying it in the rim on the other end after beating the press in that 10 second span.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 16, 2015, 11:59:50 am
How about the Nolan Richardson era here. How can you be so daft?

That's what I figured. Hearsay, & no real substance.

Inhogswetrust

May 16, 2015, 06:38:16 pm #49 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:30:39 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: jry04 on May 15, 2015, 12:59:05 pm
The rules being proposed will benefit us greatly, in my opinion. Our style of play will have a much greater impact on the pace of the game.

-Total timeouts reduced from 5 to 4, with no more than 3 allowed to carry over to the next half.

-If a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout, the timeout becomes the media timeout.

-Shot clock down to 30 from 35.

-Stricter enforcement of resumption of play following timeouts and foul outs.

Speeding up the game will benefit us greatly.

They have also proposed: No live ball timeouts by coaches.
The backcourt 10 second clock will not reset after a timeout.
-

I like them all........The other I would change would be no time-out called by the team trying to inbound once the ball is handed to the player trying to inbound it. Why penalize a team for playing good defense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi