Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's left?

Started by RacinRazorback, May 14, 2015, 07:03:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: lefty08 on May 15, 2015, 12:02:53 pm
Funny you say that at this time, but I guarantee you if he had that run and the missed the tourney "a few times" the same guys would be wanting his head

Our fans thought football should be a top 10 program every year because Petrino got us there with a roster loaded with some of the best in-state talent we've ever had.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 15, 2015, 12:16:48 pm
LSU has had Simmons and Blakeney committed before they had departures. The only addition they've had late is a 4-star guard from Baton Rouge.

I thought Blakeney signed in the Spring?

Regardless, they still added this guy

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24949003/arizona-transfer-craig-victor-commits-to-lsu

And

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/brandon-sampson

Both top 50 recruits.  I'm not an LSU fan as much as the next guy, but if we're being unbiased and talking recruiting, they are killing it right now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on May 15, 2015, 12:21:08 pm
I thought Blakeney signed in the Spring?

Regardless, they still added this guy

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24949003/arizona-transfer-craig-victor-commits-to-lsu

And

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/brandon-sampson

Both top 50 recruits.  I'm not an LSU fan as much as the next guy, but if we're being unbiased and talking recruiting, they are killing it right now.

Blakeney has been committed since January, but just not signed. Victor transfered there a while back too.

Point is, the only late commitment they got was the in-town 4-star kid.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 15, 2015, 12:18:21 pm
Our fans thought football should be a top 10 program every year because Petrino got us there with a roster loaded with some of the best in-state talent we've ever had.

And we learned that outscoring people doesn't work for the long haul vs SEC defenses. I think similiar of the "overrated system" CMA runs. I think style and system is the most overrated thing in college basketball. There are 1000s of different ways to play and during a game all those aspects should be adjusted accordingly. No reason to play fast with a 5 possession lead. Clippers game last night should have proved that

Nipsey Mussle

I know the tendency in 2015 is to blame the HC for everything. MA doesn't have a monopoly on that, it's a trend that is becoming all too familiar in sports.

The MA doubters show as little understanding to situations as humanly possible.

We were put in a tough position, and I'm not sure preparedness even had much to do with it. We're an above average program that lost it's two best players as early entrants. Couple that with the fact that we've lost all of our post season recruiting crap shoots and it does tend to cause some panic. 

Who loses the most early entrees? Top programs

Who can show up late and make up tons of ground by simply showing interest? Top programs

Who is in a bind if two guys declare in mid April? Above average programs and below.

UK has struggled on a few occasions to fill their roster under Cal...and it's safe to say their program's prestige is heads above ours.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 15, 2015, 12:33:50 pm
Blakeney has been committed since January, but just not signed. Victor transfered there a while back too.

Point is, the only late commitment they got was the in-town 4-star kid.

You say "only" like a unanimous top 50 kid isn't that big of a deal.  He's rated in the 30s by most sites.  He's rated higher than any of the guys we currently have.  If we got a guy of his caliber in the late period, people around here would be going crazy in excitement.  You can be honest and unbiased and still be a hog fan. 

hogsanity

Quote from: -Blu on May 15, 2015, 10:58:21 am
So, you predicted we'd have the best season in 20 years and then lose our 2 best players, and miss out on a couple of decent replacements in the Spring period?  Nice!

We predicted that MA would build a decent team around guys he did not have to really recruit hard to get. Bobby Portis was coming to Arkansas, period. When they were gone, it would be another 3 or 4 year rebuild. Never thought MA would build a sustainable ncaat team.

The best is the revision going on. How few remember Portis almost left after his FR year. Why anyone thought he was not leaving after being secpoty and being projected as a lottery pick is hard to imagine.

I won't go as far as to say MA should have planned for both Qualls and Portis to leave, but he should have recruited like Portis was leaving for sure.

But, above all right now, my biggest gripe is the way he mishandled Babb. IMO, he basically ran him off by continually using Babb, and the threat of Babb taking playing time, to try to motivate some of the older guys. SO, in addition to the srs ( Madden and Harris ), the sure to leave Portis, the somewhat surprising Early departure of Qualls, he runs off a guy who could have picked up some of the slack Qualls and Madden left.

Then, as has been usual for Mike the last 8 years really going back to Mizzu, he can't close the deal with any big recruits. And we are now waiting around on an instater he lost the battle for with Fla, who now may be back on the market, all while just trying to buy a year until Monk chooses a college to play for for 1 year. If KA and Monk were not in state kids, MA would have NO SHOT at getting either of them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

-Blu

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 15, 2015, 12:44:44 pm
I know the tendency in 2015 is to blame the HC for everything. MA doesn't have a monopoly on that, it's a trend that is becoming all too familiar in sports.

The MA doubters show as little understanding to situations as humanly possible.

We were put in a tough position, and I'm not sure preparedness even had much to do with it. We're an above average program that lost it's two best players as early entrants. Couple that with the fact that we've lost all of our post season recruiting crap shoots and it does tend to cause some panic. 

Who loses the most early entrees? Top programs

Who can show up late and make up tons of ground by simply showing interest? Top programs

Who is in a bind if two guys declare in mid April? Above average programs and below.

UK has struggled on a few occasions to fill their roster under Cal...and it's safe to say their program's prestige is heads above ours.

I see it's a thin line between being a "Hater" and a "Supporter".  I view my self as just being realistic.  I love CMA as our coach, no other coach I'd rather have, I like the direction we are moving in.  With that said, I'm not going to act like he's perfect and defend every little thing he does. 

I just don't see how any Hog fan is happy about how the late signing period has went so far.  Your not any less of a Hog fan if your disappointed with how it's gone so far, heck, I'm sure if you could asked the staff and they had to give you an honest answer, they aren't happy with how the late period has went so far.  There's no excuse for not having suitable replacements for Portis and Qualls leaving, transfers and guys leaving early happen every year around this time, you gotta be ready for it, end of story.  Other teams aren't going to feel sorry for us next year because we lost Portis and Qualls, and if we want to be competitive and stay relevant we gotta get some more talent on the roster to replace the losses.  It's still time to add talent, and I have confidence in the staff to get it done, but like I said up to this point the recruiting has been less than stellar.

-Blu

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 01:03:04 pm
We predicted that MA would build a decent team around guys he did not have to really recruit hard to get. Bobby Portis was coming to Arkansas, period. When they were gone, it would be another 3 or 4 year rebuild. Never thought MA would build a sustainable ncaat team.

Wow, when CMA first got hired, you knew he would get Bobby Portis, find Michael Qualls, and we would be good for a year, then both would leave early, and we wouldn't make the tournament again?  Are you serious dude?

Post like yours is the reason why some posters can't be objective without getting jumped on by everybody, because they'll get associated with ignorance like that.  CMA's history has been nothing but successful.  He's a really good coach and has got the max out of his players as well as had some decent classes.  I get it, your frustrated with recruiting right now, so I am, but your just trying to use that for your agenda that you just don't like CMA.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: -Blu on May 15, 2015, 01:10:01 pm
I see it's a thin line between being a "Hater" and a "Supporter".  I view my self as just being realistic.  I love CMA as our coach, no other coach I'd rather have, I like the direction we are moving in.  With that said, I'm not going to act like he's perfect and defend every little thing he does. 

I just don't see how any Hog fan is happy about how the late signing period has went so far.  Your not any less of a Hog fan if your disappointed with how it's gone so far, heck, I'm sure if you could asked the staff and they had to give you an honest answer, they aren't happy with how the late period has went so far.  There's no excuse for not having suitable replacements for Portis and Qualls leaving, transfers and guys leaving early happen every year around this time, you gotta be ready for it, end of story.  Other teams aren't going to feel sorry for us next year because we lost Portis and Qualls, and if we want to be competitive and stay relevant we gotta get some more talent on the roster to replace the losses.  It's still time to add talent, and I have confidence in the staff to get it done, but like I said up to this point the recruiting has been less than stellar.
I haven't disputed the level of contentment regarding our issues this off season but more along the lines of normalizing it. Some can speculate differently if they choose to do so, but I haven't seen anything concrete to show that this is a result of a lack of planning.

You can plan well for recruits and still whiff. There aren't that many quality recruits available this time of year and you are competing against lots of other desperate teams.

No one should defend MA over every little thing. Also, no one should blame MA for every little thing.

This is a typical postseason process for those who have two declare early, unless it's a top tier team and then even they struggle at times with this.

hogsanity

Quote from: -Blu on May 15, 2015, 01:17:37 pm
Wow, when CMA first got hired, you knew he would get Bobby Portis, find Michael Qualls, and we would be good for a year, then both would leave early, and we wouldn't make the tournament again?  Are you serious dude?

Post like yours is the reason why some posters can't be objective without getting jumped on by everybody, because they'll get associated with ignorance like that.  CMA's history has been nothing but successful.  He's a really good coach and has got the max out of his players as well as had some decent classes.  I get it, your frustrated with recruiting right now, so I am, but your just trying to use that for your agenda that you just don't like CMA.

I Mike's last 9 seasons he has 4 NCAAT appearances.

He has signed 5 classes here, and Portis is the only big time recruit he has landed. Qualls was a good get, but not a HARD get.

But I agree, Mike is a GOOD coach, nothing more.

No, what I am frustrated with is that after 1 ncaat appearance, many of our fans are perfectly happy with giving Mike a pass on 15/16 just HOPING he lands Monk for 16/17. They should not have been building for 4 years, only to have to rebuild after 1 tourney appearance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoopS

Why does it upset you that some folks want to actually see things play out on the court before getting worked up? I understand we all wanted more recruits and highly ranked ones, but we have who we have and they're not exactly a bunch of scrubs. A few of you want others to join in and complain about Mike and his recruiting because you don't think he's done a good enough job and that's fine but understand that some of us want to see what he does with this bunch first.

Kevin

Realistic is what I tried to be. But, I have been labeled a hater because I looked at his whole career as head coach, not just an elite 8 year, and did not ride the nostalgic euphoria of his hiring.

He runs a quality program not a great one. Again if 23-25 wins, and making it to the ncaa's is the goal then he is your man, if you want more then you better find another team or readjust your goals.

Please stop with any Kentucky/calapari comparisons. They are an elite program. If coach Anderson ever got to the continued success of that program, then he can have an off year, or get a free pass.

All this talk is starting to sound like football beat Texas in the cotton bowl and being told the coach need a free pass before it gets going again.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Richard_white

Quote from: -Blu on May 15, 2015, 12:57:32 pm
You can be honest and unbiased and still be a hog fan. 

No truer statement than this. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2015, 02:07:07 pm
Realistic is what I tried to be. But, I have been labeled a hater because I looked at his whole career as head coach, not just an elite 8 year, and did not ride the nostalgic euphoria of his hiring.

He runs a quality program not a great one. Again if 23-25 wins, and making it to the ncaa's is the goal then he is your man, if you want more then you better find another team or readjust your goals.

Please stop with any Kentucky/calapari comparisons. They are an elite program. If coach Anderson ever got to the continued success of that program, then he can have an off year, or get a free pass.

All this talk is starting to sound like football beat Texas in the cotton bowl and being told the coach need a free pass before it gets going again.
I think that's one of the biggest issues. There are some, like yourself, who see MA's value but want more. Then, there are some who are just haters. I think we'd probably get somewhere if we could begin differentiating the two. 

Kevin

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 15, 2015, 02:14:06 pm
I think that's one of the biggest issues. There are some, like yourself, who see MA's value but want more. Then, there are some who are just haters. I think we'd probably get somewhere if we could begin differentiating the two. 

I totally agree

Plus, me wanting more means I want him to deliver it.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2015, 02:27:40 pm
I totally agree

Plus, me wanting more means I want him to deliver it.

Coach Anderson is only 2 non-NCAA tournament appearance seasons away from being in the exact spot as Anthony Grant (only 1 NCAAT appearance in 6 seasons).  Alabama is basically only just a football school.  It is thought that Bill Battle wanted to keep Grant 1 more season, but Battle probably got pressured to make a change.

The question is, what will Jeff Long do if Coach Anderson only has 1 NCAAT appearance in 6 seasons?  Low attendance in Bud Walton may force Long's hand.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 01:34:43 pm

He has signed 5 classes here, and Portis is the only big time recruit he has landed. Qualls was a good get, but not a HARD get.

No, what I am frustrated with is that after 1 ncaat appearance, many of our fans are perfectly happy with giving Mike a pass on 15/16 just HOPING he lands Monk for 16/17. They should not have been building for 4 years, only to have to rebuild after 1 tourney appearance.

Portis was the only big recruit he landed? I'm sorry but any player in the top 100 in the nation is a big get. Portis was an elite get, but Beard, Kingsley, Whitt, and Kapita are all big gets.

He found a diamond in the rough in Qualls, who was also a product of being coached up.

I'll wait for your biased responses and excuses as to why Mike is just average or below.

lefty08

Quote from: -Blu on May 15, 2015, 01:10:01 pm

Can we at least agree that we can be critical without saying the only way Coach A can recruit is if They are a friend of the family?  That's the kind of statement I see on here way too much. That's what I have a problem with. Also the comments of he isn't prepared. Getting beat out by another school doesn't mean he isn't trying
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Thepigdoctor

And I've yet to see anyone flat out say he gets a pass next season. Maybe some of us are just a little more understanding that based on how far we had fallen, to lose our best two players to the NBA as underclassmen is reason to temper expectations.

Fact is, we needed a big PF who can rebound and be a man down low. We got one of the best in the country coming in. We also needed a guard who could take over a game as a scoring threat and we got that too. Unfortunately, we had two key players leave early and that hurts when you factor in how miserable our program was and how depleted our roster was when Mike took over.

Thanks to Heath and Pel's horrible roster management, we've been forced to juggle in more transfers and JUCO players than I'm sure Mike's wanted to. It's difficult to undo poor recruiting, it could easily take 6, 7, 8 years to undo that.

hogsanity

Quote from: lefty08 on May 15, 2015, 03:16:17 pm
Can we at least agree that we can be critical without saying the only way Coach A can recruit is if They are a friend of the family?  That's the kind of statement I see on here way too much. That's what I have a problem with. Also the comments of he isn't prepared. Getting beat out by another school doesn't mean he isn't trying

At Mizzu or Arkansas has he gone out and gotten a big time recruit that was not either in state, a family member, or close to someone on his staff?  And by big time lets go top 40 in the recruiting rankings.

lefty08

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 03:23:30 pm
At Mizzu or Arkansas has he gone out and gotten a big time recruit that was not either in state, a family member, or close to someone on his staff?  And by big time lets go top 40 in the recruiting rankings.

I was asking blu his opinion. You have made yours clear 6 dozen times with that statement
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Thepigdoctor

Your last sentence really says it all for me. What I'm tired of hearing is that he can't recruit, isn't trying, etc, etc.

Elite programs miss on kids, it'd be one thing if we were getting beat by Arkansas St, Louisiana Monroe, hell, UAB or Sun Belt teams; but we aren't. We're getting beat by quality schools for high quality players. That doesn't mean our staff isn't good at recruiting or aren't trying, it just means that some Hog fans can't accept that it's not 1992-95 anymore. Hell, even then we weren't landing elite players from across the country.

What exactly does Mike have in his arsenal to offer a kid currently? Come be part of a resurgence? No thanks coach, I'd rather go to Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas and be part of a reload.

I'd like to hear from some of your detractors, exactly what it is that Mike can use in his favor to win a recruiting battle to Arkansas over a UK or Duke. The fact that we've gotten kids like Qualls, Beard, Kingsley, Whitt, Kapita, and even Portis to the hill is enough to convince me that this staff is fully capable of landing talent. Unfortunately, to land those kids it's going to take twice as much effort than it does to recruit to the UK, Duke, and Kansas' of the country.

This is not being overly sympathetic either, I'd like to hear what Mike can do better, how you think he can beat out the traditional powers?

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 03:23:30 pm

Ted Kapita?

You conveniently cut off at 40, since Kapita was top 50 until his injury dropped him into the 50's.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 15, 2015, 03:43:38 pm
Your last sentence really says it all for me. What I'm tired of hearing is that he can't recruit, isn't trying, etc, etc.

Elite programs miss on kids, it'd be one thing if we were getting beat by Arkansas St, Louisiana Monroe, hell, UAB or Sun Belt teams; but we aren't. We're getting beat by quality schools for high quality players. That doesn't mean our staff isn't good at recruiting or aren't trying, it just means that some Hog fans can't accept that it's not 1992-95 anymore. Hell, even then we weren't landing elite players from across the country.

What exactly does Mike have in his arsenal to offer a kid currently? Come be part of a resurgence? No thanks coach, I'd rather go to Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas and be part of a reload.

I'd like to hear from some of your detractors, exactly what it is that Mike can use in his favor to win a recruiting battle to Arkansas over a UK or Duke. The fact that we've gotten kids like Qualls, Beard, Kingsley, Whitt, Kapita, and even Portis to the hill is enough to convince me that this staff is fully capable of landing talent. Unfortunately, to land those kids it's going to take twice as much effort than it does to recruit to the UK, Duke, and Kansas' of the country.

This is not being overly sympathetic either, I'd like to hear what Mike can do better, how you think he can beat out the traditional powers?

How about come be THE guy and not just another guy. Arkansas has notoriety, we've won a NC. Look what Portis did as far as publicity just from being THE guy. Qualms provided the majority of highlights and stepped up when BP was absent, but he also got noticed because of what Portis brought. I couldn't name all the guys for UK o Duke because they're all clumped together. But everybody knows BP at Arkansas.

hogsanity

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 15, 2015, 03:45:03 pm
Ted Kapita?

You conveniently cut off at 40, since Kapita was top 50 until his injury dropped him into the 50's.

I just picked a number. If I had said 50, we would still have need a qualifying statement to show he landed one.

-Blu

You never heard or will hear me say he can only recruit family and friends.  I personally don't care how (within the rules) you get the recruits as long as you get them, building relationships to form those friendships to get the recruits is actually part of the recruiting process I have no problem with that at all.  I hope CMA continues to build friendships that get recruits to Arkansas, I hope his family is out making friends with some of the younger players in Arkansas right now.

Like I said my ONLY complaint with the staff right now is, I like for them to had been better prepared for the Qualls/Portis departure, and maybe they were, but have just struck out up to this point, either way that's still an unacceptable excuse, you gotta get the talent if you want to stay relevant, especially with the new coaches coming in the SEC, this league isn't going to be like it was, it's going to one of the top leagues moving forward, and we gotta keep up.  And I'm not expecting top 10 classes or anything like that, CMA doesn't have to have those type of classes to be successful, but he still needs to close this class with a difference maker on the wing, and another big.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 01:34:43 pm

MA has 4 NCAAT appearance's in the last 8 seasons that's the same as Gregg Marshall. You and I both know MA would have more tourney appearances than that if he didn't decide to take over a program that for 7 seasons of its last 10 season had less than 19 Wins and stayed at Mizz

King Kong

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 15, 2015, 06:30:00 pm
MA has 4 NCAAT appearance's in the last 8 seasons that's the same as Gregg Marshall. You and I both know MA would have more tourney appearances than that if he didn't decide to take over a program that for 7 seasons of its last 10 season had less than 19 Wins and stayed at Mizz

It's also important to note it wasn't until Gregg Marshall's 5th season that he got Wich State to the tourney. Good thing there fans gave him the time to get things going

Ray Piggers

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 15, 2015, 12:41:05 pm
And we learned that outscoring people doesn't work for the long haul vs SEC defenses. I think similiar of the "overrated system" CMA runs. I think style and system is the most overrated thing in college basketball. There are 1000s of different ways to play and during a game all those aspects should be adjusted accordingly. No reason to play fast with a 5 possession lead. Clippers game last night should have proved that

The reason the Clippers found themselves in that position was because they stopped playing with urgency. They should have kept their foot on the gas.

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

beachhog

MA has been loyal to his staff but I think if we are going to sign elite players he will have to eventually get a better recruiter(s) on board.  Long allows higher pay for assistants and this is a great incentive to get the best staff money can buy. 

Our basketball program has to start matching the strides the football progam is making on signing top players and creating more excitement with fans.  He has done good so far but more is going to be expected.

Kevin

Quote from: King Kong on May 15, 2015, 06:41:19 pm
It's also important to note it wasn't until Gregg Marshall's 5th season that he got Wich State to the tourney. Good thing there fans gave him the time to get things going

So we are now comparing our program to Wichita state. Last I looked they did not play in a power five conference. 

Going into year 5, he will now have the practice facility he was promised, excuses are over.

You want to make a ridiculous comparison, jimmy dykes is making him look bad. He never been a head coach of women, hasn't coached in 20 years, and signs 3 juco all Americans . Looking to me he is the type of recruiter Anderson needs on his staff

HOGINTENNESSEE

May 16, 2015, 07:36:54 am #82 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:57:04 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Kevin on May 16, 2015, 06:35:37 am
So we are now comparing our program to Wichita state. Last I looked they did not play in a power five conference. 

Going into year 5, he will now have the practice facility he was promised, excuses are over.

You want to make a ridiculous comparison, jimmy dykes is making him look bad. He never been a head coach of women, hasn't coached in 20 years, and signs 3 juco all Americans . Looking to me he is the type of recruiter Anderson needs on his staff

Are you seriously trying to compare women's BBall to Men's? Top 15-25 women's teams normally get beat by top team 5 by 30 points. It's the most top heavy sport in the NCAA.

And by the way MA just won 27 games. He's not going into years 5 having Not improved the team from the terrible 14 win seasons that Pel and Stan had made more of the common thing. He has already done that

This is why you hire a guy with a Resume of turning crap programs into regular NCAAT teams.

Let's look at the schools he has won at. UAB Prior to Mike Anderson hadn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1985-1986 season. Mike won a total of 3 NCAA tourney games when he was there and UAB has won 1 NCAA tourney game since he has left (9 years).

Mizz had not won more than 16 game the previous 3 seasons before MA arrived. MA won 4 NCAA tourney games in his 5 seasons. Mizz had won only 5 tourney games in the previous 11 years before MA came Mizz. In addition Mizz won the Big 12 conference championship in 2008-2009 for the first time in School History.

Will we 27 games this year? Probably not but MA's resume and results this year show he is getting this thing in the right direction.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

IMO, we probably need someone new on the staff the is a big dog recruiter. Also, I think you have to change your game a little to be attractive to the players that have real NBA potential. They are going to want to play at a place that will help them improve their chances of being drafted higher.

razortv

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on May 16, 2015, 08:06:07 am
IMO, we probably need someone new on the staff the is a big dog recruiter. Also, I think you have to change your game a little to be attractive to the players that have real NBA potential. They are going to want to play at a place that will help them improve their chances of being drafted higher.

Well said, you are spot on! A Sam Pittman for the basketball staff would do wonders for the program.

Darren DeLoach

So much blah blah in this thread.

Mike took over a cesspool. Nolan took over for Eddie Sutton not John freaking Pelphrey.

This place was putrid in every facet. Mike could not get anyone here UNLESS he was family or personal friends. The players with talent were poison. Pull your stupid glasses off and remember where we were.

Would it be nice to have had a couple top 20 prospects in our back pocket waiting  and them hoping we lose our best players?  Of course, but is that even remotely realistic? 

To be honest, I wanted to go a different route when Coach Anderson was hired, but that doesn't mean I can't see he is doing this the right way and will have us in a place to where we won't have to hire a Heath or Pelphrey when he steps away.

He knowingly came her to bridge that gap. He knew, like  Dana Altman, this was a TOTAL REBUILD. But with fans who want Final Fours now. He didn't love this university so he cut and ran.

Mike came and is rebuilding it.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on May 16, 2015, 08:30:46 am

Mike took over a cesspool. Nolan took over for Eddie Sutton not John freaking Pelphrey.

This place was putrid in every facet. Mike could not get anyone here UNLESS he was family or personal friends. The players with talent were poison. Pull your stupid glasses off and remember where we were.

Would it be nice to have had a couple top 20 prospects in our back pocket waiting  and them hoping we lose our best players?  Of course, but is that even remotely realistic? 

To be honest, I wanted to go a different route when Coach Anderson was hired, but that doesn't mean I can't see he is doing this the right way and will have us in a place to where we won't have to hire a Heath or Pelphrey when he steps away.

He knowingly came her to bridge that gap. He knew, like  Dana Altman, this was a TOTAL REBUILD. But with fans who want Final Fours now. He didn't love this university so he cut and ran.

+1
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

snortman

Football teams are total rebuilds, Basketball can be done in one and no more than two classes period. If MA does not make the NCAA next year then we will be in for 5 years and $11 mil in salary with a $25 mil practice in tow with (1) NCAA tourney win. Yeah give me some of THAT. Great work if you can get it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: snortman on May 16, 2015, 09:44:13 am
Football teams are total rebuilds, Basketball can be done in one and no more than two classes period. If MA does not make the NCAA next year then we will be in for 5 years and $11 mil in salary with a $25 mil practice in tow with (1) NCAA tourney win. Yeah give me some of THAT. Great work if you can get it.

Then why did it take Gregg Marshall 5 years to turn around Witch State?

I love that you completely ignore that this program had Major APR issues from the previous coaches that did cost us a Scholarship and was close to causing a postseason ban. Mike had to keep and graduate players that normally a coach could have forced out.

jackflash

I don't expect Mike to win many recruiting battles with Kentucky or Duke or North Carolina. Not many coaches do. I am a homer when it comes to the Hogs. I do wonder sometimes why it so hard for us to recruit. What missing on the Hill?

Kevin

Yep, us same guys saying the same thing over & over again.

not comparing women's basketball. But a rookie coach recruiting lights out, shouldn't a coach with anderson's tenure be able to recruit like that

But, it does not matter, you believe how you want to, I will believe want I want to, neither is changing any bodies mind

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 10:06:54 am
It is exactly what a few of us predicted when MA was 1st hired.  Of course we were called haters, and told to shut up. 
did you also predict he'd have us winning the most games since '95 this year? The ignorance in this thread is amazing. Lol

Porkys Revenge

Look! A sane person on Hogville! Ill never understand the double standard on here when comparing our bb coach and our fb coach

pigture perfect

One of the things that has us in the situation we are in, is the fact we don't have stability in our program. Heath 5 years, Pel 4, Mike 5, we need a coach that moves the thing forward and stays long enough to give these recruits some stability.

That being said, I do think MA is a mediocre tactician.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

snortman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 16, 2015, 09:53:16 am
Then why did it take Gregg Marshall 5 years to turn around Witch State?

I love that you completely ignore that this program had Major APR issues from the previous coaches that did cost us a Scholarship and was close to causing a postseason ban. Mike had to keep and graduate players that normally a coach could have forced out.

Gregg Marshall, Gregg Marshall, who gives a rip, After looking at the resume of GM's, we will be in the final four in 17 because Gregg freaking Marshall was. As for the mess, it was already getting better anyway and  that just goes with the job. He was also given a Top 5 recruiting class but that seems to fly right by you.

Not that I care for Pel, but at least he did beat a name in the NCAA (Indiana), MA hung on to beat Wofford this year.

rude1

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 10:06:54 am
It is exactly what a few of us predicted when MA was 1st hired.  Of course we were called haters, and told to shut up. 
Your argument loses any validity when you continue to complain even when the team is winning, then continue to complain not because the team is once again losing, but because you can speculate that the team will lose in the future. When these things happen your argument becomes an agenda.....

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: snortman on May 16, 2015, 11:02:00 am
Gregg Marshall, Gregg Marshall, who gives a rip, After looking at the resume of GM's, we will be in the final four in 17 because Gregg freaking Marshall was. As for the mess, it was already getting better anyway and  that just goes with the job. He was also given a Top 5 recruiting class but that seems to fly right by you.

Not that I care for Pel, but at least he did beat a name in the NCAA (Indiana), MA hung on to beat Wofford this year.

MA knocked off #1 Seed UK at UAB and has been the the freaking elite at Mizz. Only the 3rd time in there school history.

And that Indiana team was a #8 Seed. So impressive

Kevin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 16, 2015, 11:17:40 am
MA knocked off #1 Seed UK at UAB and has been the the freaking elite at Mizz. Only the 3rd time in there school history.

So pel's win was an upset also.  :)

HOGINTENNESSEE

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 16, 2015, 11:17:40 am

Keith Bogans was Kentucky's star that year. Its not the powerful Kentucky teams of today.