Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's left?

Started by RacinRazorback, May 14, 2015, 07:03:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

870hogfan

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 16, 2015, 01:42:16 pm
Keith Bogans was Kentucky's star that year. Its not the powerful Kentucky teams of today.

Still a 1 seed...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Keith Bogans was Kentucky's star that year. Its not the powerful Kentucky teams of today.

Keith Bogan's wasn't even on that team. Please know what the crap you are talking about before you post.

That UK Team was 27-4 in the regular season it was pretty good team and a #1 seed. Certainly should have beat the #9 seed UAB.

Nipsey Mussle

Lol, good guess but wrong year. Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch were the best players (combined for 30 pts, 10 rebs per game) and Tulsa's own Azubuike was solid also. Well, and there was that Chuck Hayes guy too. He's a tweener in the NBA but a beast in college.

That team won most of their games by double digits and was the #1 overall seed.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 17, 2015, 09:14:53 pm
Lol, good guess but wrong year. Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch were the best players (combined for 30 pts, 10 rebs per game) and Tulsa's own Azubuike was solid also. Well, and there was that Chuck Hayes guy too. He's a tweener in the NBA but a beast in college.

That team won most of their games by double digits and was the #1 overall seed.

I can say I'm glad college hoops has evolved. A number 1 seed without stars. Shows you there how much better talent is in 2015.

Erik Daniels? Who?

hogsanity

for the umpteenth time, I do not hate Mike Anderson. I hated the hiring of Mike Anderson because I thought they program could have gotten any of a dozen coaches just as good as him, WITHOUT the nostalgic baggage that I knew would weigh heavily on any critiquing of the job he would do.

If the hire had been anyone else, and they were facing the very real possibility of only 1 ncaat appearance in 5 seasons, there would be a lot of talk about doubts of whether they could ever get the job done here. But with MA, as long as he gets them to the tournament once every three or four years, most people will apparently be satisfied. In the non tourney years they will just curl up in front of the tv, pop in the vcr tape of the 94 title year, and bask in the warmth of knowing Mike was there for something that happened over 20 years ago. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 18, 2015, 10:25:15 am
for the umpteenth time, I do not hate Mike Anderson. I hated the hiring of Mike Anderson because I thought they program could have gotten any of a dozen coaches just as good as him, WITHOUT the nostalgic baggage that I knew would weigh heavily on any critiquing of the job he would do.

If the hire had been anyone else, and they were facing the very real possibility of only 1 ncaat appearance in 5 seasons, there would be a lot of talk about doubts of whether they could ever get the job done here. But with MA, as long as he gets them to the tournament once every three or four years, most people will apparently be satisfied. In the non tourney years they will just curl up in front of the tv, pop in the vcr tape of the 94 title year, and bask in the warmth of knowing Mike was there for something that happened over 20 years ago.

What BS  No one will be happy if MA only goes to the tournament once every 3 or 4 years. Last, people are happy because he has shown improvement every year he has been here and just had the best season in almost 20 years.
  Most people are also going to be reasonable that he will not improve his record every year but if he is a consistent tournament team, challenges for the SEC title every couple years and gets Arkansas ranked consistently in the Top 20 with a good tournament run every few years most people will be happy.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 18, 2015, 10:25:15 am

+1.... Too many on Jump Ball talk of dreams of the past.

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 18, 2015, 10:40:55 am
What BS  No one will be happy if MA only goes to the tournament once every 3 or 4 years. Last, people are happy because he has shown improvement every year he has been here and just had the best season in almost 20 years.
  Most people are also going to be reasonable that he will not improve his record every year but if he is a consistent tournament team, challenges for the SEC title every couple years and gets Arkansas ranked consistently in the Top 20 with a good tournament run every few years most people will be happy.

Really? Only been once in 4 years, staring at what is likely a bubble team, at best, next season, and most seem perfectly happy. Oh wait, I forgot, we have to just write off years 1-3 because he only had a roster with 95% players e recruited.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 18, 2015, 12:19:33 pm
Really? Only been once in 4 years, staring at what is likely a bubble team, at best, next season, and most seem perfectly happy. Oh wait, I forgot, we have to just write off years 1-3 because he only had a roster with 95% players e recruited.

If you are so blind to the reality of why people are happy after this last year than maybe you haven't paid attention to the past 15. Secondly, no one knows how next year will play out. Last, if MA does fail to make the NCAA tournament for the next 2 or 3 years most of the optimists will start siding against him. Just like Bielema, I would rather him succeed than fail. Until he fails, I will support him and the University I have cheered for since I was 5.

Atlhogfan1

I have this image of Mike with a stick beating the hell out of some bushes while TJ and Zimmerman look to see if anything crawls out.  Aka a normal Spring with this staff. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TrueBlue

What's left?

Your choice:

1. CRY.
2. Start Drinking Heavily.
3. Become a Kentucky fan and start watching Ashley Judd movies.
4. Concentrate on the other two seasons: Football and Spring Football.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 18, 2015, 06:30:42 pm
I have this image of Mike with a stick beating the hell out of some bushes while TJ and Zimmerman look to see if anything crawls out.  Aka a normal Spring with this staff.

A bird in hand is better than a hand in the bush.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 18, 2015, 06:23:55 pm
  If you are so blind to the reality of why people are happy after this last year than maybe you haven't paid attention to the past 15. Secondly, no one knows how next year will play out. Last, if MA does fail to make the NCAA tournament for the next 2 or 3 years most of the optimists will start siding against him. Just like Bielema, I would rather him succeed than fail. Until he fails, I will support him and the University I have cheered for since I was 5.

You prove my point with this line "... if MA does not make the tournament for the next 2 or 3 year....."  That would be 7 years an only 1 ncaat. Do you think, had they hired ANYONE other than MA, the fans would have been willing to wait SEVEN YEARS to see what happened, and only gotten 1 ncaat appearance out of it? Heath got 5 years, the fans were ready to can him after 3, and he went to the ncaat in years 4 and 5, so he was showing improvement. Pelphrey went once, in year 1, with Heaths players mainly, and only lasted 4 years total. The fans bailed on him after year 3.

snortman

Quote from: hogsanity on May 19, 2015, 08:13:32 am
You prove my point with this line "... if MA does not make the tournament for the next 2 or 3 year....."  That would be 7 years an only 1 ncaat. Do you think, had they hired ANYONE other than MA, the fans would have been willing to wait SEVEN YEARS to see what happened, and only gotten 1 ncaat appearance out of it? Heath got 5 years, the fans were ready to can him after 3, and he went to the ncaat in years 4 and 5, so he was showing improvement. Pelphrey went once, in year 1, with Heaths players mainly, and only lasted 4 years total. The fans bailed on him after year 3.

Based off a lot of the threads I have read, MA has carte blanche and can have as much time as he wants without any kind of backlash. Sad really. I for one will not be one of those. If he does not make it next year in season 5 then season 6 should be or will be the defining season one way or the other.

GlassofSwine

The only point being proven is your inability to see the differing circumstances. Stan Heath may well have gotten a raw deal but his firing had more to do with with trying to live up to fans expectations. He also had a losing conference record in 4 out of 5 seasons. So far MA has outperformed Heath in his tenure here and it isn't even close. So if you don't agree with Heath's firing you should be adamant against firing MA. 
  Pelphrey was an epic disaster, one of the worst coaches in our history. An NCAA tourney in year one then a complete joke. MA has never had a losing record here something Pelphrey did twice in 4 years. Through 4 seasons Pelphrey had a  winning pct of .391% in conference compared to MA's .557.
  MA has completely out performed these coaches through 4 years. It's not a wait and see and give him 7 years like you say, it is the question of why fire someone because you assume they will fail. MA hasn't failed yet and in fact has done better than Nolan did his first 4 years. That is another coach Arkansas fans wanted to fire prematurely.

hogsanity

Quote from: snortman on May 19, 2015, 08:36:12 am
Based off a lot of the threads I have read, MA has carte blanche and can have as much time as he wants without any kind of backlash.

Oh I resigned myself to that the minute he was hired. See the post below, always an excuse for MA.

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 19, 2015, 08:54:43 am

MA hasn't failed yet and in fact has done better than Nolan did his first 4 years.

Depends on expectations.

Outperformed Nolan? Nolan went to the nit in year 2 and ncaat in yr 3, then went back in yr 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...... so lets cut the talk about Mike outperforming Nolan, that is just stupid.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 18, 2015, 07:08:49 pm
What's left?

Your choice:

1. CRY.
2. Start Drinking Heavily.
3. Become a Kentucky fan and start watching Ashley Judd movies.
4. Concentrate on the other two seasons: Football and Spring Football.

With the finish to the recruiting season I got to go with number 2.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 19, 2015, 09:02:37 am

Outperformed Nolan? Nolan went to the nit in year 2 and ncaat in yr 3, then went back in yr 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...... so lets cut the talk about Mike outperforming Nolan, that is just stupid.

I didn't realize simply getting to the NCAA tournament was what performance was based on. let's see through 4 seasons

Nolan Richardson: Overall 77-46 62.6%
                          Conference 36-28 56.25%

Mike Anderson:    Overall 86-48 64.2%
                         Conference 39-31 55.7%

The conference records are so close that if MA had 1 more conference win he would be ahead of Nolan on win percentage. So MA wins on overall record. They are virtually tied on wining pct. in conference. He is also tied with Nolan at this point in number of tournament wins. Both went in as 5 seeds in year 4 and won one game. Nolan gets the nod on tournament appearances by getting in year 3 as a 11 seed and abruptly getting bounced. So yeah, tell me again how MA doesn't compare to Nolan through 4 years based on results?

latrops

I wouldn't bet on him getting 7 if neither 5 or 6 result in a NCAAT appearance.  None of us fans posting on a message board really know how long of a leash CMA has, but I doubt the attendance, merchandising, and fan support would be sufficient for Anderson to keep his job beyond 6 years if the team simply isn't very good this year and next.  There is a bottom line involved, and for the program do generate the revenue that is expected, there has to be certain level of enthusiasm among the fans.  Right now things don't look so good, but there are opportunities to get things back on track.  Just have to wait and see if CMA is up to it.

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 19, 2015, 10:00:37 am
  I didn't realize simply getting to the NCAA tournament was what performance was based on. let's see through 4 seasons

Nolan Richardson: Overall 77-46 62.6%
                          Conference 36-28 56.25%

Mike Anderson:    Overall 86-48 64.2%
                         Conference 39-31 55.7%

The conference records are so close that if MA had 1 more conference win he would be ahead of Nolan on win percentage. So MA wins on overall record. They are virtually tied on wining pct. in conference. He is also tied with Nolan at this point in number of tournament wins. Both went in as 5 seeds in year 4 and won one game. Nolan gets the nod on tournament appearances by getting in year 3 as a 11 seed and abruptly getting bounced. So yeah, tell me again how MA doesn't compare to Nolan through 4 years based on results?

Get back to me in 4 more years with this stupid comparison. At the end of 8 years, Nolan had a final 4 and an elite 8. Mike will probably have 2, maybe 3 NCAAt appearances, and I doubt they sniff the sweet 16 much less the final 4.

Nolan signed more talent in the Day, Mayberry, Miller class than Mike has signed in 5 classes total.

hogsanity

Quote from: latrops on May 19, 2015, 10:21:21 am
I wouldn't bet on him getting 7 if neither 5 or 6 result in a NCAAT appearance. 

Just read this thread. These fans will still be backing Mike if he goes 0-30 next year, then backs it up with 0-31. They will keep buying gear, they will keep 8-10k in the arena, and they will freak out at the very thought of Mike being let go. Mike is here until MIKE does not want to be here.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on May 19, 2015, 11:16:02 am
Just read this thread. These fans will still be backing Mike if he goes 0-30 next year, then backs it up with 0-31. They will keep buying gear, they will keep 8-10k in the arena, and they will freak out at the very thought of Mike being let go. Mike is here until MIKE does not want to be here.

yep. We will. I will tell you this, though, we better not keep too many of those games close. Everybody I know is GREAT with losing as long as Mike is here.  I'm petitioning for him to take over football too.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on May 19, 2015, 11:29:20 am
yep. We will. I will tell you this, though, we better not keep too many of those games close. Everybody I know is GREAT with losing as long as Mike is here.  I'm petitioning for him to take over football too.

I do not think people are great with losing, I just think they are much more tolerant of it as long as Mike is the coach.

HoopS

Well, that's a theory. Because we have done nothing but improve under him. If we start to suck and he still has mass support, I will come back and tell you your were right.

I actually understand your concern. I know where you're coming from. But the losing part of it just hasn't happened yet and until it does, it is all just speculation.

Right now, the graph is still climbing.

Kevin

too many mike anderson is more popular than the program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 19, 2015, 11:14:26 am
Get back to me in 4 more years with this stupid comparison. At the end of 8 years, Nolan had a final 4 and an elite 8. Mike will probably have 2, maybe 3 NCAAt appearances, and I doubt they sniff the sweet 16 much less the final 4.

Nolan signed more talent in the Day, Mayberry, Miller class than Mike has signed in 5 classes total.

I don't expect Mike to equal Nolan, but the only thing stupid is your insistence on going after someone who statistically is on par with Nolan Richardson through 4 seasons, and far better than Heath and Pel. You have no argument against the facts except to predict doom in the future. Maybe MA falls on his face in the future maybe he doesn't. My opinion of him as a coach will always be based on what he does not what I think he will do.

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 19, 2015, 01:24:49 pm
  I don't expect Mike to equal Nolan, but the only thing stupid is your insistence on going after someone who statistically is on par with Nolan Richardson through 4 seasons, and far better than Heath and Pel. You have no argument against the facts except to predict doom in the future. Maybe MA falls on his face in the future maybe he doesn't. My opinion of him as a coach will always be based on what he does not what I think he will do.

In case you missed it, most of my comments are directed at those willing to just continue with the  Mike is just dreamy awesome amazing" line and make excuses for every thing negative that goes on. Just like in the thread about KA staying at Fla, 2nd post in thread says it must be because someone paid him. Babb leaves, oh he must be a whiny baby. Another recruit chooses Miami, oh, he is afraid of competition.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 19, 2015, 02:02:21 pm
In case you missed it, most of my comments are directed at those willing to just continue with the  Mike is just dreamy awesome amazing" line and make excuses for every thing negative that goes on. Just like in the thread about KA staying at Fla, 2nd post in thread says it must be because someone paid him. Babb leaves, oh he must be a whiny baby. Another recruit chooses Miami, oh, he is afraid of competition.

I personally haven't gone searching through your post history. Your posts in this thread are  annoying to anyone who uses logic and facts in their decision making. So you are annoyed with people who like Mike Anderson. I'm annoyed with people who like the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Luke Bryan, etc. I don't waste my time going on to a message board to bash them because I believe their judgment is flawed. If a message board fan wants to believe Mike Anderson is dreamy, who cares? They won't be the one making the decision to keep/fire him in the future.

Kevin

It is not annoying if you like Anderson, it is annoying if you see him as never making a mistake.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

-Blu

Where'd you guys find this hogsanity character at?

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 19, 2015, 02:29:25 pm
I personally haven't gone searching through your post history. Your posts in this thread are  annoying to anyone who uses logic and facts in their decision making. So you are annoyed with people who like Mike Anderson. I'm annoyed with people who like the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Luke Bryan, etc. I don't waste my time going on to a message board to bash them because I believe their judgment is flawed. If a message board fan wants to believe Mike Anderson is dreamy, who cares? They won't be the one making the decision to keep/fire him in the future.

This is one of the best comparisons I've ever read on here.  I never understood why people get mad because people like rooting for and supporting the coach they are a fan of on their message board.  It's nothing wrong with constructive criticism and voicing concerns, but some people just want to complain about every little thing and get mad if others don't feel like hearing it.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Kevin on May 19, 2015, 03:28:53 pm
It is not annoying if you like Anderson, it is annoying if you see him as never making a mistake.
And it's annoying to see him as being responsible for any piece of negativity imaginable.

I'll never forget in Portis' first season, he and Qualls missed repeated point blank lay ups against aTm and HV posters decided it was because "MA didn't have them ready to play."
Not everything in this world is his fault.

Kevin

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 19, 2015, 09:24:40 pm
And it's annoying to see him as being responsible for any piece of negativity imaginable.

I'll never forget in Portis' first season, he and Qualls missed repeated point blank lay ups against aTm and HV posters decided it was because "MA didn't have them ready to play."
Not everything in this world is his fault.

Not everything is his fault, but excuses don't cover everything either

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Kevin on May 19, 2015, 09:53:41 pm
Not everything is his fault, but excuses don't cover everything either

How many of those excuses are coming from Mike Anderson's mouth? The insanity is you are bashing a coach because you don't like the "excuses" that fans on a message board are making. Since when did fans on a message board become Mike Anderson's official spokesmen.

Kevin

I don't think I ever bash him, question yes, point out flaws yes

HoopS

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 12:03:20 am
constantly. You and a few others rag him daily and then wonder why folks get sick of it. When you complain all of the time, and you do, when you have a legit concern most will just see it as you being you.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2015, 12:03:20 am

Criticizing him for bad substitutions, continuing to press when it is being shredded, that's one thing. Those are legit critiques. Professing on a message board that MA is a failure when the facts don't bear that out at this point is grasping at straws. Complaining when other fans are happy with 4 seasons of improvement and the best season in over 15 years is just ridiculous. Especially when  the gist of your complaint is, "Just wait, you'll see!"
If your opinion is that MA has already hit his ceiling then fine, but everyone on this message board already knows your opinion because you post it in every thread. You and a few other posters are just being redundant.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 08:00:25 am
  Criticizing him for bad substitutions, continuing to press when it is being shredded, that's one thing. Those are legit critiques. Professing on a message board that MA is a failure when the facts don't bear that out at this point is grasping at straws. Complaining when other fans are happy with 4 seasons of improvement and the best season in over 15 years is just ridiculous. Especially when  the gist of your complaint is, "Just wait, you'll see!"
If your opinion is that MA has already hit his ceiling then fine, but everyone on this message board already knows your opinion because you post it in every thread. You and a few other posters are just being redundant.

They are being truthful.  What many of you fail to do is look beyond the sweet 16 and the elite 8 that has he been too.  If you really look, then what is so impressive about what Mike Anderson has done as a coach?  Does he win 20 games consistently, sure but there is more to college basketball than winning 20 games a year.  How often has he out right won a conference or won a conference tournament?  How far does he normally go in the NCAA tournament?  You have seen what Mike Anderson coached teams will look like, 20 wins most years and once in awhile he might pop off a better year.  And yes, I am qualified to speak on it because Missouri was Anderson's longest stop as a head coach. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 09:27:57 am
They are being truthful.  What many of you fail to do is look beyond the sweet 16 and the elite 8 that has he been too.  If you really look, then what is so impressive about what Mike Anderson has done as a coach?  Does he win 20 games consistently, sure but there is more to college basketball than winning 20 games a year.  How often has he out right won a conference or won a conference tournament?  How far does he normally go in the NCAA tournament?  You have seen what Mike Anderson coached teams will look like, 20 wins most years and once in awhile he might pop off a better year.  And yes, I am qualified to speak on it because Missouri was Anderson's longest stop as a head coach.

I actually don't look at what he did at Missouri at all. I'm not a Mike Anderson fan either, I'm a Razorback fan and have been for over 30 years. MA has the team playing the best they have in 20 years, by every measurement. I won't criticize him based on assumptions for the future. I'll wait and see what he accomplishes. To this point he hasn't done anything to warrant not supporting him.
   Furthermore, Norm Stewart the best coach Missouri has ever had made it to two elite 8's in 32 years. Frankly, you should be happy that Mike brought you an elite 8 in 5 years and the most wins in a season in your programs history. If ever there was a program that simply winning 20 games a season and making the NCAA tournament was considered acceptable, it is at Missouri.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 10:28:20 am
  I actually don't look at what he did at Missouri at all. I'm not a Mike Anderson fan either, I'm a Razorback fan and have been for over 30 years. MA has the team playing the best they have in 20 years, by every measurement. I won't criticize him based on assumptions for the future. I'll wait and see what he accomplishes. To this point he hasn't done anything to warrant not supporting him.
   Furthermore, Norm Stewart the best coach Missouri has ever had made it to two elite 8's in 32 years. Frankly, you should be happy that Mike brought you an elite 8 in 5 years and the most wins in a season in your programs history. If ever there was a program that simply winning 20 games a season and making the NCAA tournament was considered acceptable, it is at Missouri.

And what did Mike do after he peaked at Missouri?  Finished 5th in the conference twice followed by a second round out and first round out.  Not exactly the stuff of legends, in fact it shows that once he reaches his zenith, it is all downhill.  If you don't look at what he is done in previous stops, then how can you even start to figure out future results?  A coaches record at ALL stops determines what he is.  Coach Anderson is a 20 or so win a year coach, will finish in the middle of the conference, and will likely get bounced early in the tournament if he gets there at all.  History bears this out.  Arkansas is a historically strong program and deserve better than 20 wins and to have to sit on the bubble.  Mike Anderson's history suggests there will be more seasons than not of that exact scenario. 

HoopS

Mike left you guys loaded and Haith reaped the benefits.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 10:42:50 am
And what did Mike do after he peaked at Missouri?  Finished 5th in the conference twice followed by a second round out and first round out.  Not exactly the stuff of legends, in fact it shows that once he reaches his zenith, it is all downhill.  If you don't look at what he is done in previous stops, then how can you even start to figure out future results?  A coaches record at ALL stops determines what he is.  Coach Anderson is a 20 or so win a year coach, will finish in the middle of the conference, and will likely get bounced early in the tournament if he gets there at all.  History bears this out.  Arkansas is a historically strong program and deserve better than 20 wins and to have to sit on the bubble.  Mike Anderson's history suggests there will be more seasons than not of that exact scenario.

In sports, history is an overstated predictor of future success or failures. Coach K arguably the greatest basketball coach in NCAA history didn't make the tournament until his 9th year as a head coach. It took until his 10th year as a head coach before he finished above .500 in conference. There was no reason at that point to assume what he would become. Now Mike Anderson will not be Coach K, but it is his future that will define his legacy. The past merely represents what you have already done not what you will do.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 11:26:09 am
   In sports, history is an overstated predictor of future success or failures. Coach K arguably the greatest basketball coach in NCAA history didn't make the tournament until his 9th year as a head coach. It took until his 10th year as a head coach before he finished above .500 in conference. There was no reason at that point to assume what he would become. Now Mike Anderson will not be Coach K, but it is his future that will define his legacy. The past merely represents what you have already done not what you will do.

Perhaps so, but there is certainly a pattern that is clearly evident. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HoopS on May 20, 2015, 10:57:48 am
Mike left you guys loaded and Haith reaped the benefits.

Yeah, Mike left it so loaded that Haith had to poison the program by taking on transfers every year to get classes to balance out instead of being able to recruit and develop some freshman.  Thanks Mike for leaving 7 guys who bought into what Haith was selling and not leaving anything to build on.  Appreciate the hell out of that.  He is the reason, and Haith also to some degree, that this year was a total tear down. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 11:34:27 am
Perhaps so, but there is certainly a pattern that is clearly evident.

Patterns change as more data is accumulated.  I can easily cherry-pick a pattern too, MA has never failed to make the NCAA tournament the year after making the tournament when coaching the same team. Despite that strong history in his favor, it doesn't guarantee anything going forward.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 11:37:05 am
Yeah, Mike left it so loaded that Haith had to poison the program by taking on transfers every year to get classes to balance out instead of being able to recruit and develop some freshman.  Thanks Mike for leaving 7 guys who bought into what Haith was selling and not leaving anything to build on.  Appreciate the hell out of that.  He is the reason, and Haith also to some degree, that this year was a total tear down.

Are you suggesting that 3 years is too short a time period to develop a couple of Freshmen?

-Blu

Mizzou basketball.... LOL, the dumpster fire of the SEC.  You guys got anymore recruits we can come take?  We need a couple more for late period.

Kevin

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 11:37:05 am

Facts does not sway the euphoria of nostalgia

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: -Blu on May 20, 2015, 12:03:37 pm
Mizzou basketball.... LOL, the dumpster fire of the SEC.  You guys got anymore recruits we can come take?  We need a couple more for late period.

1 bad year...and Missouri will be willing to cut bait with KA if he doesn't get results even though he was a nostalgic hire also.  Meanwhile, you guys will still be making excuses for MA.  You have gotten one kid out of the state, wouldn't start crowing just yet about taking any Missouri kid you want just yet.  Of course that is about the same as what you get out of Arkansas also...1 kid. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 20, 2015, 12:01:24 pm
  Are you suggesting that 3 years is too short a time period to develop a couple of Freshmen?

I am suggesting that he didn't have the opportunity to recruit many freshman because had he he would have never gotten out of the unbalanced classes.  Same thing that MA is experiencing now.  You have what, 6 guys or so gone next year...awful lot of scholarships to fill and will be really hard to turnover the roster to get a good mix of experience and youth.  He seems to put all his eggs in basket for one year then doesn't seem to have a clue what to do after that.  Unless you are the elite of the elite, you aren't going to win with half your roster being freshmen.  And if you do get to keep them and develop them, 4 years later you are right back in the same boat.  Class balance matters. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on May 20, 2015, 12:49:13 pm
I am suggesting that he didn't have the opportunity to recruit many freshman because had he he would have never gotten out of the unbalanced classes.  Same thing that MA is experiencing now.  You have what, 6 guys or so gone next year...awful lot of scholarships to fill and will be really hard to turnover the roster to get a good mix of experience and youth.  He seems to put all his eggs in basket for one year then doesn't seem to have a clue what to do after that.  Unless you are the elite of the elite, you aren't going to win with half your roster being freshmen.  And if you do get to keep them and develop them, 4 years later you are right back in the same boat.  Class balance matters.

Most of the guys we are losing next year are role players at best. The transition to this year will be harder as we lost a ton of production. I think the core for 2016 looks pretty good. Kingsley - sr. Beard - jr. Kapita and Whitt - sophmores. HawgRed made a post in a thread that I agree with. Right now in 2015 it is hard to see where all the production will be but come 2016 we should have a solid group of players across multiple classes.