Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is our basketball recruiting "up to par"?

Started by Deep Shoat, April 30, 2015, 12:28:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Top 100 players and waiting on JuCo's and transfers.  Do you believe this level recruiting will get us back to where we were under Eddie and Nolan?

Yes.
80 (35.6%)
No.
145 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 224

nwahogfan1

Mike has done a ok job with some recruits but has really struck out badly on a few also.  I don't know who is evaluating the 2 and 3 star kids but he has done horrible bad there.  We have a team full of them right now and they don't seem to be getting better.  At least they don't seem to be raising their level high enough to help us get back to NCAA Elite 8.  Probable great kids and good students so I guess I should be grateful. they are helping the GPA.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2015, 07:46:14 am
Of course he should have been prepared for Portis to leave and Qualls to possibly leave. We'll find out how prepared when this class is complete.
Players must sign by May 20th - I think that's right.
If we get blown away by the other SEC schools - then we sure won't be up to par.

There's almost no room for error for the staff to finish this class out with adequate talent. But I suppose if they do not make any signing that could be viewed as "big" or "impact," the argument will then shift to, "Well, we haven't even seen these kids plays. How do we know they aren't good signings." Typical stuff people resort to when they don't have anything to back their position or up or they want to make excuses for people. (Only the first sentence is directed at you, by the way.)

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Kevin on May 01, 2015, 07:17:42 am
Par compared to what other program
Eddie's and Nolan's Arkansas program.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2015, 09:22:52 am
There's almost no room for error for the staff to finish this class out with adequate talent. But I suppose if they do not make any signing that could be viewed as "big" or "impact," the argument will then shift to, "Well, we haven't even seen these kids plays. How do we know they aren't good signings." Typical stuff people resort to when they don't have anything to back their position or up or they want to make excuses for people. (Only the first sentence is directed at you, by the way.)
whether some like how he recruits or they don't, all that will matter is what kind of team we end up having. They will get who they get and sometimes those players aren't ones some fans want. But so what. Win games. That's what will either get him fired or save his job.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on May 01, 2015, 10:33:40 am
whether some like how he recruits or they don't, all that will matter is what kind of team we end up having. They will get who they get and sometimes those players aren't ones some fans want. But so what. Win games. That's what will either get him fired or save his job.

I think some want more than him winning enough to save his job which will probably never need saving.  It goes to the crux of the conversation and poll. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 01, 2015, 10:43:47 am
I think some want more than him winning enough to save his job which will probably never need saving.  It goes to the crux of the conversation and poll. 

Exactly. He will pretty much always have enough talent to have the Hogs around the bubble, which apparently is enough for all of his backers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2015, 10:50:38 am
Exactly. He will pretty much always have enough talent to have the Hogs around the bubble, which apparently is enough for all of his backers.

Hogsanity, they won't be on the bubble next year unless Jimmy Whitt has a Patrick Beverly type freshman season

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 01, 2015, 11:41:47 am
Hogsanity, they won't be on the bubble next year unless Jimmy Whitt has a Patrick Beverly type freshman season
Lots and lots of variables in play.

Swinesong1

I'm sorry...the Hogs were on the bubble this season?

HoopS

name one sngle backer anywhere on the Internet who has been quoted as saying being on the bubble is enough to keep them satisfied.  Just one.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HoopS on May 01, 2015, 12:57:45 pm
name one sngle backer anywhere on the Internet who has been quoted as saying being on the bubble is enough to keep them satisfied.  Just one.
You mean he doesn't get to just make stuff up to assist his point of view in almost sounding reasonable? That's a shame.

Illinihog

If Par is Nolan success of the Mid 90's, Nope.

He has to get Monk, or else he should be shown the door.

Edit: I want to clarify.  I feel like if Mike has been here that long and can't pull a homegrown talent like Monk, how can we expect to steal some MC AA from MO,STL,TX,OK,TN?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Illinihog on May 01, 2015, 01:54:08 pm

Edit: I want to clarify.  I feel like if Mike has been here that long and can't pull a homegrown talent like Monk, how can we expect to steal some MC AA from MO,STL,TX,OK,TN?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Some on here actually have legitimate criticisms of MA. You give those people a bad name.

The_Iceman

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 01, 2015, 02:07:16 pm

Some on here actually have legitimate criticisms of MA. You give those people a bad name.

Seriously. A 18 year old kid decides to choose to go to Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas over Arkansas, and you want to fire a coach for it? Unbelievable. Mike is doing everything he can to get Monk. Ultimately, its Monk's decision.

jry04

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 01, 2015, 02:07:16 pm

I will start this with saying I am a big Mike supporter, and hope he turns this program around. I want him to succeed. I am usually one of the more optimistic ones on here.

I do not think missing on Monk means Mike needs to be shown the door, but I do think missing on Monk could lead to Mike being shown the door. Monk is the best player to come out of the state since Corliss. Getting him in 2016, along with some of the other recruits we are on, could catapult us into the top 10 if everything plays out right. 2016 has the making to be a special year. Whiff on Monk, and we will need to find an adequate replacement. I am in the camp that we could make the NCAAT next season if players develop. However, if we miss the NCAAT next season, and then Monk goes elsewhere...there will be a TON of momentum behind the people who do not like Monk. I am afraid that missing the NCAAT next year and then having an average 2016-2017 season due to missing Monk would lead to the dismissal of Mike. It would be hard to argue in favor of Mike after 6 mediocre to bad seasons. I am not saying that will happen, but it is definitely a possibility. With that said, I trust Mike will find a way to get it done.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2015, 02:14:31 pm
Seriously. A 18 year old kid decides to choose to go to Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas over Arkansas, and you want to fire a coach for it? Unbelievable. Mike is doing everything he can to get Monk. Ultimately, its Monk's decision.
Absolutely, 100% agree

Kids really want to go to UK and the majority leave their home state to play for them (and other other heavyweights you named). Not sure why he comes to mind, but John Wall came from North Carolina where there are plenty of in-state opportunities for big time basketball. Of course, he chose Kentucky.

mhuff

May 01, 2015, 02:27:01 pm #67 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:38:08 pm by mhuff
Quote from: Illinihog on May 01, 2015, 01:54:08 pm

Actually I see a lot of merit in your argument. We have to get the instate talent.... period..... We have not done a good job since MA has been here. I would have to give MA a poor grade in that department. Look at his batting average. Then there's the MA apologist who says MA can't control that.... Well, so be it.... but you have to look at the results.... not the excuses..... Not impressed with his effort or results. I am impressed with our commitments so far this year...... But you have to recruit harder to sustain a program.... That starts with your core..... instate players.

Addendum: I am impressed with the recruiting being done for 2016. You can't hit a home run if you don't swing for the fences.

Illinihog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2015, 02:14:31 pm

I agree it's Monk's choice.  I knew I would get light up for this, poorly made my point.  Nolan brought in national title talent.  Mike has failed to bring in sweet 16 talent.  If he can't land Monk I think it really hurts him and the program going forward, which ultimately lead to his release.

My thing with Mike is this is his first Job where he will see more than 1 class graduate through.  Early in his tenure here we were post heavy weak guards.  Now we are guard heavy and weak post.  I just hope he can find a balance between the two.

I'm not a Mike fan, won't go as far as saying I'm a hater. I just want the Hogs to win.

Danny J

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2015, 07:46:14 am
Of course he should have been prepared for Portis to leave and Qualls to possibly leave. We'll find out how prepared when this class is complete.
Players must sign by May 20th - I think that's right.
If we get blown away by the other SEC schools - then we sure won't be up to par.
I agree....if guys scrambling late, like LSU(in our exact same position) or MSU or Tenn can sign some good talent late and we can't then there is most definitely a problem with the staffs ability to recruit. It really can't be debated. Here is what we have to offer:

-Brand new state of the art practice facility
-SEC POY
-A player that will be at the high end or just outside the lottery and another player who was not heavily recruited(3 star) that we have shown the ability to develop and would have for sure been drafted in 2016 had he continued to make improcements
-NCAA round of 32
-27 wins
-stability
-good fan base that will actually show up to games with at time putting over 19k in the seats

Now...if the aforementioned coaches who can't really offer any of those things to recruits can sign those recruits while we are left twisting in the wind like a mid-major then we have issues. It is one thing to go out and recruit good talent every couple years when you have time to fill known vacant spots and quite another to fill them this late in the process. That separates the good recruiters from the mediocre. Lets wait and see who we sign at the end of the month. I am not overly optimistic.

fineswine

Quote from: Danny J on May 01, 2015, 03:47:37 pm
I agree....if guys scrambling late, like LSU(in our exact same position) or MSU or Tenn can sign some good talent late and we can't then there is most definitely a problem with the staffs ability to recruit. It really can't be debated. Here is what we have to offer:

-Brand new state of the art practice facility
-SEC POY
-A player that will be at the high end or just outside the lottery and another player who was not heavily recruited(3 star) that we have shown the ability to develop and would have for sure been drafted in 2016 had he continued to make improcements
-NCAA round of 32
-27 wins
-stability
-good fan base that will actually show up to games with at time putting over 19k in the seats

Now...if the aforementioned coaches who can't really offer any of those things to recruits can sign those recruits while we are left twisting in the wind like a mid-major then we have issues. It is one thing to go out and recruit good talent every couple years when you have time to fill known vacant spots and quite another to fill them this late in the process. That separates the good recruiters from the mediocre. Lets wait and see who we sign at the end of the month. I am not overly optimistic.
Don't worry. Zimmerman was on Bo's show during the drive home and all but assured us they don't give out scholarships to guys who can't play.  I think there is enough evidence to question that.

Danny J

Quote from: fineswine on May 01, 2015, 05:20:18 pm
Don't worry. Zimmerman was on Bo's show during the drive home and all but assured us they don't give out scholarships to guys who can't play.  I think there is enough evidence to question that.
I also heard him say "IF" we fill those spots. That doesn't make me feel better.

daBoar

Quote from: poloprince on April 30, 2015, 02:37:33 pm
Considering when the season started MA had two slots and filled them with top 100 players seems pretty up to par to me
I agree with this, except I think the key "play" this spring was the actual signing of Kapita; a very fine replacement for Portis, at least what Portis was as a graduating high-schooler.  True, I sure wish Portis had stayed one more season, but his move to the NBA is also a huge shot in the arm for our recruiting.

I'd like to think we'll still bring in a couple who'll fit quite nicely into next year's team, and serve as great building blocks for 2016/17.

hoglady

Quote from: Danny J on May 01, 2015, 05:39:27 pm
I also heard him say "IF" we fill those spots. That doesn't make me feel better.

Well - that sure doesn't sound encouraging.
I'm really a little shocked right now regarding where we appear to be.
LSU, Tenn and Ms St. have gotten some good late talent.
If we don't - you've really got to wonder why, because you're right - we have much more to offer.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Breems

Good job. Hogsanity will never non-backdown from a good challenge.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Breems on May 03, 2015, 11:04:00 am
Good job. Hogsanity will never non-backdown from a good challenge.

Breems and the refs still blew the Florida game

hogsanity

Just look around at posts on hogville. It is obvious those who support MA as coach are going to be satisfied with being a bubble team most years with the occasional season like the last one. I mean most are already looking to 16/17 knowing next year does not look great right now, and they are fine with that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Breems

"I made a claim I can't back up. Please go find my facts for me."

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on May 05, 2015, 09:51:45 am
Just look around at posts on hogville. It is obvious those who support MA as coach are going to be satisfied with being a bubble team most years with the occasional season like the last one. I mean most are already looking to 16/17 knowing next year does not look great right now, and they are fine with that.
nope. Just admit you pulled one out of your backside and got called on it. No biggie.  You don't always have to win the debate. I know plenty of Mike supporters and none of them align with what you posted. Zero % of them.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on May 05, 2015, 10:52:26 am
nope. Just admit you pulled one out of your backside and got called on it. No biggie.  You don't always have to win the debate. I know plenty of Mike supporters and none of them align with what you posted. Zero % of them.

well, it is going into year 5, he still has huge holes in his classes, and it looks like everyone is just fine with it. 4 season, one ncaat appearance, and no one seems concerned, except those labeled as haters. But no one is happy just being a bubble team most years? Most Ma backers have turned into Rick Shaffer. It is all rainbows and candy.

Pancetta

So what is the definition of satisfied with bubble teams? If it means they will complain but will say give him more time then I think you are correct that most fans are satisfied with bubble teams. There are a bunch of people that will be in that camp.
Personally I think CMA needs to shake up his staff. I think he can get guys with the same coaching ability but better recruiting skill. The UA pays Watkins $350k which is more than some mid major HC from 2015 NCAAT.  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Starting next year we should be in the NCAAT 4 out of 5 years minimum with a 1st round win and a sweet 16 appearance out of those 4 years minimum. If he can't do that over the next 5 years then we need to find someone that can. I am hoping he does way better than this.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

hogsanity

Quote from: Pancetta on May 05, 2015, 01:07:16 pm
So what is the definition of satisfied with bubble teams? If it means they will complain but will say give him more time then I think you are correct that most fans are satisfied with bubble teams. There are a bunch of people that will be in that camp.
Personally I think CMA needs to shake up his staff. I think he can get guys with the same coaching ability but better recruiting skill. The UA pays Watkins $350k which is more than some mid major HC from 2015 NCAAT.  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Starting next year we should be in the NCAAT 4 out of 5 years minimum with a 1st round win and a sweet 16 appearance out of those 4 years minimum. If he can't do that over the next 5 years then we need to find someone that can. I am hoping he does way better than this.

Most won't even complain. They will just continue to say give him more time. In todays college bball, 5 signing classes should be enough to not still be on the roller coaster. However, it still looks like this is going to be the pattern, one good year, then 1 or two down years, then maybe another good one.

Even your assessment, 4 nccat appearances in the next 5 years, that is still going to get us to Mikes 10th season. I resigned myself to the fact, the day he was hired, he is here until he does not want to be. Short of back to back losing seasons, there will be no outcry from the fans to get rid of him, and nothing good in it for the school to get rid of him either.

Just look at the last two weeks here, almost all of the talk has been about 16/17, and the HOPE that MA can get Monk for one season.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on May 05, 2015, 12:38:51 pm
well, it is going into year 5, he still has huge holes in his classes, and it looks like everyone is just fine with it. 4 season, one ncaat appearance, and no one seems concerned, except those labeled as haters. But no one is happy just being a bubble team most years? Most Ma backers have turned into Rick Shaffer. It is all rainbows and candy.
My original post stands. Nobody said they'd be satisfied with what you said.

Go ahead and get the last word in.

Hogberry Snortcake

We should maybe wait and see who fills the 2 remaining spots before we get all hot and bothered.  What do ya say?  Sheesh. 

nwahogfan1

The good of Arkansas recruiting has been CMA has been able to sign a 4/5 star high quality recruit each year but the bad is only one.  His 2/3 star lesser quality recruits are the ones who have not really done very well except for Qualls.  We are now loaded with CMA's role players who have not stepped up their game. 

Now if Bell, Kingsley, Williams and I can go on can raise their level to playing much higher quality ball then I would give CMA a higher rating in recruiting.

But as it is I can only rate him a B- in recruiting.  Now if Kapita can come in well and qualified then that would be 2 higher quality recruits and that will instantly raise his rating to B+.  Now if 2 or 3 more highly rated players come on board than we will have to give him a A.  Lets hope he can close this years recruiting with a bang because we need more scoring and more talent on this team.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on May 05, 2015, 01:43:28 pm
We should maybe wait and see who fills the 2 remaining spots before we get all hot and bothered.  What do ya say?  Sheesh.

Okay, but is it fair to say there aren't a lot of options out there that would prevent that?

I don't see the point in acting like any concern is unwarranted given the dearth of attractive options here late in the later period.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 05, 2015, 02:28:07 pm
Okay, but is it fair to say there aren't a lot of options out there that would prevent that?

I don't see the point in acting like any concern is unwarranted given the dearth of attractive options here late in the later period.

I thought it was pretty plain for whom that comment was directed.  Not you.  This board is for discussion.  I get that.  Hissy fits, however, just get on my nerves. 

Biggus Piggus

I just came to see what someone with the handle Hogberry Snortcake would post. No other comment.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: gnick4 on May 06, 2015, 09:53:39 pm
ironic, coming from a nut hugger like you.

yet people vilify Nutt and embrace MA, when they recruit basically the same way. Praying for far above average instate talent to carry them.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

870hogfan

Breems

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: hogsanity on May 05, 2015, 12:38:51 pm
actually, it's been steady progress since day 1. Arkansas bb was a dumpster fire filled with tractor tires when MA arrived. Who in their right mind would want to fire a coach that's done nothing but improve every single year?

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

rusvegashog

Couldn't be a bigger fan of Coach Anderson, but it's obvious to me someone's not pulling there weight when it comes to recruiting. I can understand getting out recruited in football by some of  the schools in the SEC, but to get out recruited by any one other than Kentucky in basketball to me is upsetting. I could give SOME leeway to Florida and LSU, but honestly I'm disappointed. Will not affect my fandom or support of the team or coaching staff. Still something's got to change.

TrueBlue

Seriously, if you don't think we (MA and staff) are having an issue relating to recruits just look at the case of Allen. It took only seven days for a very green coach (White) to convince him that Florida was the place to be and MA has had several years to recruit the young man to stay instate. We never had a chance whatsoever. I am tired of being out of the running for instate kids. Lord help me for saying this but Pel had better luck recruiting instate kids than MA.

Ray Piggers

Love Anderson, but recruiting has left something to be desired.

I think it's obvious he needs a better supporting cast.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Breems

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 18, 2015, 07:03:44 pm
Seriously, if you don't think we (MA and staff) are having an issue relating to recruits just look at the case of Allen. It took only seven days for a very green coach (White) to convince him that Florida was the place to be and MA has had several years to recruit the young man to stay instate. We never had a chance whatsoever. I am tired of being out of the running for instate kids. Lord help me for saying this but Pel had better luck recruiting instate kids than MA.

He was already committed.

Mike convinced the entire 11 class, which was already committed, to stay.

TexArkHogFan

With Kingsley prone to foul trouble and Thompson not a factor yet, we are going to get killed down low when it comes to SEC play if we don't get another big man. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

HogBreath

Quote from: Breems on May 18, 2015, 08:57:38 pm
He was already committed.

Mike convinced the entire 11 class, which was already committed, to stay.
Good point, the entire 11'class stayed, at least for a couple of practices.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?