Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is our basketball recruiting "up to par"?

Started by Deep Shoat, April 30, 2015, 12:28:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Top 100 players and waiting on JuCo's and transfers.  Do you believe this level recruiting will get us back to where we were under Eddie and Nolan?

Yes.
80 (35.6%)
No.
145 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Deep Shoat

I really just want two simple responses in the poll. 

What say ye, Hogville?
All Gas, No Brakes!

The_Iceman

So far, yes. With having two spots and both filled during the season, its tough to go out and recruit players when you don't even have a scholarship to offer.

Pre Portis/Qualls leaving: A

Since them leaving: INCOMPLETE

chiefhawg

Define par. Just because RD is not following every basketball target around and reporting on their every move as in football does not mean the staff is not recruiting well. If you want to get almost daily updates on basketball recruiting listen to these guys.
http://hogsportsradio.com/

Deep Shoat

Quote from: chiefhawg on April 30, 2015, 12:39:16 pm
Define par. Just because RD is not following every basketball target around and reporting on their every move as in football does not mean the staff is not recruiting well. If you want to get almost daily updates on basketball recruiting listen to these guys.
http://hogsportsradio.com/
Par = good enough to see us return to what we were under Eddie and Nolan.
All Gas, No Brakes!

latrops

Right now I don't know.  I'd really like to see what he does with the 3 currently available scholarships.  At this point, I'd say he hasn't done a bad job, but there is room for improvement.   Still hoping he finishes well.

Deep Shoat

Appreciate the early comments.  I was afraid to post this, expecting to be attacked.  Actually addressing the question is a nice change.
All Gas, No Brakes!

z1on

No clue, Mike seems to get a few highly rated players each class and a couple 3 star blue collar type guys. He has shown at Mizzou he can develop the 3 star players into an elite 8 team, of course Qualls was a 3 star and he developed into a great player that will have a pro career.

UNCLE BACK

I have really only had 1 issue with the staffs recruiting... Why can't we get really good scoring guards like he had at Mizzu?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 30, 2015, 01:00:11 pm
I have really only had 1 issue with the staffs recruiting... Why can't we get really good scoring guards like he had at Mizzu?
Hopefully, he did that this cycle with Whitt.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jjdlc

Thats been my question as well, still Beard has shown potential, and he has Whitt coming in, who appears to be the textbook definition, so maybe it is turning around.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 30, 2015, 12:28:25 pm

What say ye, Hogville?

Can I start a thread and tell people what type of responses I want?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

It was specified in the poll back to where we were with Eddie and Nolan.  With that qualification, it is hard to say yes or no.  Going to have to make some assumptions too.
Assuming this is asking if we are going to get back to what we experienced from 77 - 96.  The best seasons were mostly led by high level recruits or transfer(Joe Kleine).  I've given this out before but Nolan went from 87 - 99 with at least two McD AA's on every team but one and it was Corliss' freshman season. 

Now college basketball isn't what it once was.  And you also have to factor in our world which is SEC basketball which hasn't been very good and certainly not deep with good teams recently.  We saw the difference in what just one McD AA could make in what the SEC was this season.  New hires and some current classes suggest it could be getting better.  In just this class, we will be outrecruited according to the services by some other SEC programs.  If this continues, then it gets tougher for us and recruiting would need an improvement over what it has been to say the least.

To this point, I would say recruiting has been adequate.  This class I would consider to be good as far as the two signees.  Their evals suggest they will develop into good college players. Help is still needed in this class.  And one thing this staff has experience at is reaching into JC's as well as looking for late signing period help.   Guessing how they could close out this class, this level of recruiting would produce adequate to good results.  It is about what we experienced so far considering we were in a rebuild.  If you want more consistently, then not likely. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 30, 2015, 01:07:08 pm

I don't know, can you?

hogsanity

Are we talking about his 5 classes so far or just this up coming one?  If it is the total body of  work, the answer would be no. If it is the current class, no way to answer that because we do not know who is going to be in the class.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

No.

It's been good enough to get us to where we've been thus far under Anderson and were it looks like we could be headed this coming season. Recruiting's been good enough to be a fringe NCAA program. The staff almost always brings in nice, solid players that fit the system (this could be debated) sprinkled in with a few highly rated players. Nothing special, really. I'd like to see them be more aggressive with more top 50-100 range players. I'm not expecting multiple McDonald's All-Americans on a regular basis, though I do think it's fair for a program aspiring to be what we want it to be to bring in a McDonald's All-American every other year or so. Every team needs role players, but we have too many. Instead of Anthlon Bell, Jabril Durham, and Manny Watkins (who's a walk-on), we need another Jimmy Whitt. This is why it hurt so back to lose KeVauhgn Allen. I know, I know -- he was never going to come here and all that. But a lot of posters said they were fine losing him as long as we got Whitt. Well, we really did need both. Like, for real. Both of them. Gonna be the difference between being a bubble team and a team closer to what we had this past year (solidly in the field).

I think most all Hog fans would like to see the Hogs get back to the point to where the Hogs are a legitimate Sweet 16 contender (like this season) each year. I think must fans want to go into the NCAA tournament expecting to have a real, honest chance to advance to the second weekend. I'm not sure many Hogs are still holding onto the dream of being regular Final 4 participants like we were during the Sutton/Richardson years. And, conversely, I don't think many fans expect less than that.

WarPig88

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 30, 2015, 12:41:59 pm
Par = good enough to see us return to what we were under Eddie and Nolan.

I would like to do better than Eddie did. Nolan took us to another level. That's where I want to go.

By the way, Eddie got beat out by La Tech for Karl Malone, Notre Dame for Joe Klein, Memphis St for Keith Lee, etc.

Recruiting here has never been easy.

The_Iceman

I agree with this. Over Mike's first 4 years, he did not have the kind of guards he needed to run our system effectively. Forwards and Posts....he did excellent recruiting. But where are the little fiesty, speedy guards that can penetrate and create their own shot/distribute?

HawgAdvocate

We recruit very well once every three years it seems.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Deep Shoat

You can if it's a poll.

durrrr...
All Gas, No Brakes!

popcornhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 30, 2015, 12:28:25 pm

What say ye, Hogville?

It's sort of a trick question, but yeah, I think Mike's recruiting will do the job.
WPS

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 30, 2015, 01:58:10 pm
We recruit very well once every three years it seems.

Actually its every two. Based solely on star rankings and national perception, not on actual production:

2011: Good
2012: Not Good
2013: Good
2014: Not Good
2015: Good

poloprince

Considering when the season started MA had two slots and filled them with top 100 players seems pretty up to par to me
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on April 30, 2015, 02:37:33 pm
Considering when the season started MA had two slots and filled them with top 100 players seems pretty up to par to me

Recruiting isn't about just filling open spots during the season. It's about being able to effectively fill spots that open up after the season and also recruiting your own players to stay (talking about transfers, not kids going pro). I think it's short-sighted to just look at two spots being officially open and those two spots being filled with what project to be good players because that is far from the whole story. We'll see how the staff fills out the 2015 class but options are growing slim and other programs, including programs lesser than Arkansas, have been able to effectively attract late-period signings. It was no secret that Bobby Portis was very much on the NBA radar and it was also no secret that Qualls could make the jump. Don't see much to indicate that was accounted for. That's a recruiting failure. Signing Whitt and Kapita is great but it doesn't take away from that failure. Not a total overall failure for the 2015 class, but there's been at least a partial failure.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=591768.150

Probably going to end up repeating a lot of what was discussed in this thread as far as recruiting. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 30, 2015, 02:43:01 pm
Recruiting isn't about just filling open spots during the season. It's about being able to effectively fill spots that open up after the season and also recruiting your own players to stay (talking about transfers, not kids going pro). I think it's short-sighted to just look at two spots being officially open and those two spots being filled with what project to be good players because that is far from the whole story. We'll see how the staff fills out the 2015 class but options are growing slim and other programs, including programs lesser than Arkansas, have been able to effectively attract late-period signings. It was no secret that Bobby Portis was very much on the NBA radar and it was also no secret that Qualls could make the jump. Don't see much to indicate that was accounted for. That's a recruiting failure. Signing Whitt and Kapita is great but it doesn't take away from that failure. Not a total overall failure for the 2015 class, but there's been at least a partial failure.

Yes they were but noone predicted 27 wins, BP SEC poy and 2nd team all America.  I get what you are are saying, but you used to want players to sign in the early period.  The subtractions at the end of the season were known about, but the top kids arent waiting to see if there is an opening at Ark.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on April 30, 2015, 02:50:55 pm
Yes they were but noone predicted 27 wins, BP SEC poy and 2nd team all America.  I get what you are are saying, but you used to want players to sign in the early period.  The subtractions at the end of the season were known about, but the top kids arent waiting to see if there is an opening at Ark.

Then why didn't the staff re-calibrate on the better unsigned players that didn't sign early? Guys that we're seeing sign with new-to-their-school coaches like Rick Barnes and Ben Howland. Anyone with eyes could have seen that Bobby stood a good chance to go pro the last 2 months. Recruiting is getting that across to the top available big men. There were some really good guys left out there. Late period is where good recruiters shine because they're able to scramble and convince good players to take advantage of an opportunity at their school. We just opened up two pretty big opportunities and it honestly doesn't look good that the staff is going to convince someone to take them up on them. What if we don't get Izundu? Then what? What if we can't get Ty Outlaw to visit? What if Melvin Frazier doesn't qualify?

UNCLE BACK

Whitt is the real deal, Get Kevaughn To go with him and we could be a top 25 team next year...

hawginbigd1

No! See Williams, Wagner, Miles, Durham. It has been decent in some respects, but not good. There are also still some other question marks.

HF#1

Hard to replace kids you really really thought were coming back.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

Quote from: HF#1 on April 30, 2015, 04:53:52 pm

Not when you should know better.

I get that Qualls was 50/50, but they had know that Portis was going to leave in the end. If they come back, you make room. Babb probably still transfers. Keaton Miles just graduated. IMO, once a kid graduates, neither party is owed anything. And why would he even want to stick around if he has any aspirations to actually play? The staff has to start playing the game or we're going to be stuck in this mediocre state more than not.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on April 30, 2015, 04:53:52 pm

Like Babb. 

We'll replace him with someone in this signing period and next class.  Could have used him next season though.  Too bad it was wasted year for him at Arkansas and he decided to leave. 

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 30, 2015, 04:57:21 pm

I get that Qualls was 50/50, but they had know that Portis was going to leave in the end. If they come back, you make room. Babb probably still transfers. Keaton Miles just graduated. IMO, once a kid graduates, neither party is owed anything. And why would he even want to stick around if he has any aspirations to actually play? The staff has to start playing the game or we're going to be stuck in this mediocre state more than not.

I like how you ignore Portis' own thoughts on this matter as if it was a done deal. Far from it.

He went back and forth in the weeks leading up to his announcement and didn't make his mind up until the night before the banquet. But let's not let facts get in the way of a rant.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 30, 2015, 04:57:21 pm

I think you are giving this staff too much credit as if the late period recruiting would be any different than it is. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 30, 2015, 05:19:44 pm
I like how you ignore Portis' own thoughts on this matter as if it was a done deal. Far from it.

He went back and forth in the weeks leading up to his announcement and didn't make his mind up until the night before the banquet. But let's not let facts get in the way of a rant.
You complain about "haters" all the time, yet here you are pretending CMA is stupid.

Of course he knew there was a strong possibility Bobby would go.  I understand thinking Mike might stay.  But nobody with two brain cells to rub together thought, "It is likely Bobby Portia is coming g back."
All Gas, No Brakes!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2015, 01:15:48 pm
I don't know, can you?

Sure but WHY should I or anyone. Well apparently anyone can for any reason.............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

April 30, 2015, 05:36:01 pm #35 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:06:05 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: WarPig88 on April 30, 2015, 01:54:54 pm
I would like to do better than Eddie did. Nolan took us to another level. That's where I want to go.

By the way, Eddie got beat out by La Tech for Karl Malone, Notre Dame for Joe Klein, Memphis St for Keith Lee, etc.

Recruiting here has never been easy.

Eddie got a LOT of good players. Nolan got a LOT of good players. I know why Joe went to ND and I know why he transferred to Arkansas as well as why Keith did't come, but I'm not going to elaborate for someone that doesn't think Eddie couldn't recruit well and is using a few names to downgrade him. Look at the list of players he DID get instead of those he didn't.  Not only that I bet the list of players Nolan lost out on is just as long as Eddies especially later in his tenure here. ALL coaches everywhere miss out on some recruits. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 30, 2015, 02:12:09 pm
You can if it's a poll.

durrrr...

Shouldn't matter if a poll or not it still doesn't make it right though................

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 30, 2015, 05:19:44 pm

I never said it was a done deal. I even went on to mention the strategy for if they did come back and we had over-signed. Based covered. Logic.

And, actually, Bobby Portis announced the night after the awards banquet and said that he had made his mind up the Tuesday before. Get your facts straight if you want to use them for your argument.

WarPig88

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 30, 2015, 05:28:13 pm
You complain about "haters" all the time, yet here you are pretending CMA is stupid.

Of course he knew there was a strong possibility Bobby would go.  I understand thinking Mike might stay.  But nobody with two brain cells to rub together thought, "It is likely Bobby Portia is coming g back."

Except Portis himself.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 30, 2015, 05:45:10 pm
I never said it was a done deal. I even went on to mention the strategy for if they did come back and we had over-signed. Based covered. Logic.

And, actually, Bobby Portis announced the night after the awards banquet and said that he had made his mind up the Tuesday before. Get your facts straight if you want to use them for your argument.

Who do you people think Kapita was brought in to replace? It's not like we were going to land someone of Portis' caliber without him being home grown at this stage of the game.

Those of you acting like we have been caught with our pants down aren't rational. We brought in an athletic big with a nice upside and a scorer in the early period. Now we are recruiting to replace Madden, Babb, and Harris or even upgrading.

You don't just replace a BP at the University of Arkansas. Never have.

hamARchy in the USA

It's hard to see any level of recruiting that would enable MA to achieve the consistent success of Eddie and Nolan. 

The question could be turned around to ask whether Eddie or Nolan, had either come along four years ago, would have gotten more out of the program during this time.  Or would they have gotten more out of this years team. 

A big part of coaching success is getting the most out of one's players on a consistent basis. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 30, 2015, 07:47:15 pm
Who do you people think Kapita was brought in to replace? It's not like we were going to land someone of Portis' caliber without him being home grown at this stage of the game.

Those of you acting like we have been caught with our pants down aren't rational. We brought in an athletic big with a nice upside and a scorer in the early period. Now we are recruiting to replace Madden, Babb, and Harris or even upgrading.

You don't just replace a BP at the University of Arkansas. Never have.

Whitt and Kapita were brought in to replace Harris and Madden. Especially if you operate under the assumption that Portis might be coming back (like you seem to be). If you know Portis is gone, then Kapita can be touted as his replacement.

You're right -- there is no replacing Bobby Portis. That's why Kapita was Harris' replacement. But, knowing that there was an extremely good chance that Portis would leave, you have to go out and get the best possible big ma(e)n you can. Looked an awful lot like the staff pulled up after they got Kapita despite there being a number of good big men still unsigned in the late period. And if they didn't pull up and made a run at those guys and just didn't get them, they weren't able to effectively recruit either way.

hoglady

April 30, 2015, 09:03:04 pm #42 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:17:15 pm by hoglady
Quote from: The_Iceman on April 30, 2015, 12:36:30 pm
So far, yes. With having two spots and both filled during the season, its tough to go out and recruit players when you don't even have a scholarship to offer.

Pre Portis/Qualls leaving: A

Since them leaving: INCOMPLETE

This.
Can't fault this staff for the 2 spots filled - great job.
Still lots of questions for how they finish.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Deep Shoat

Maybe you don't understand polls.  Two options means we see what people actually think without any hedging.

Do like Iceman and hoglady and hedge in your post.  There, you can say anything you want.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hoglady

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 30, 2015, 10:08:12 pm
Maybe you don't understand polls.  Two options means we see what people actually think without any hedging.

Do like Iceman and hoglady and hedge in your post.  There, you can say anything you want.

Well honestly - how can that question be answered before this class is complete?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

MountieDawg

Quote from: hoglady on April 30, 2015, 09:03:04 pm
This.
Can't fault this staff for the 2 spots filled - great job.
Still lots of questions for how they finish.

So Calipari should not have prepared for the possibility of 7 people leaving... If he didn't he may not have enough players to field a team next year? Only walk ons graduated. 
SEC!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2015, 12:31:12 am
Well honestly - how can that question be answered before this class is complete?
we have 4 classes to look at.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hoglady

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 01, 2015, 07:26:24 am
we have 4 classes to look at.

I took the question to be more current - like this year.

hoglady

Quote from: MountieDawg on May 01, 2015, 07:15:20 am
So Calipari should not have prepared for the possibility of 7 people leaving... If he didn't he may not have enough players to field a team next year? Only walk ons graduated. 

Of course he should have been prepared for Portis to leave and Qualls to possibly leave. We'll find out how prepared when this class is complete.
Players must sign by May 20th - I think that's right.
If we get blown away by the other SEC schools - then we sure won't be up to par.