Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016: Cheickna Dembele 6'11" Center

Started by The_Iceman, February 24, 2016, 03:31:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoPigs69

Uh, No.

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2016, 12:26:40 pm
I'm sorry. I wish you could see how both are not typical Anderson system fits and one is currently a very productive player for the Hogs.

razorsharp94

If you have saw Vanover play in person you will realize very quickly that he is not a "must get" for Arkansas.  I know fans have already dubbed him that way and he will likely be highly rated. He does not move well enough to play on this level right now.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 25, 2016, 08:11:49 am
I agree with this. Keep Jenkins on scholarship and take Watkins. Watkins came in as a walk on so its the way it should be.

That to me is the only way to handle this.  My goodness his dad is a coach at Arkansas so I bet the school is almost free anyway. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 25, 2016, 02:41:54 pm
If you have saw Vanover play in person you will realize very quickly that he is not a "must get" for Arkansas.  I know fans have already dubbed him that way and he will likely be highly rated. He does not move well enough to play on this level right now.

Well, he is still just a kid. It is possible his Ath ability improves

Hawg Red

I actually agree with you on Vanover, but I also never thought Trey Thompson would be able to hack it under Anderson. Granted, it will be much tougher for Vanover, but I'm assuming Anderson knows what he's doing by offering. And maybe it's a conditional offer at this point.

nwahogfan1

He is only a Soph and he is 7'3 so all the stuff you think he should have will come in 2-4 years.  Until then he can shoot the 3 ball  well enough that he will pull the opposing Center out from underneath the basket.

razorsharp94

Kid can shoot and I am not knocking him, but when I watch him play I do not see a kid that has a lot of upside athletically.  I know you do not have to be the greatest athlete at 7'3" but seriously the kid looks labored getting up and down the court.  I believe it's to the point that he may have trouble finishing a basketball career.  Just an observation.  I asked a guy that I know very well who happens to be somewhat respected on the hoop scene about this and he said that he needs to improve greatly to be effective on that level.  If you haven't seen him play then you won't know what I am talking about, but any type of unbiased observer would have trouble with his ability to get up and down the court.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 25, 2016, 03:09:56 pm
Kid can shoot and I am not knocking him, but when I watch him play I do not see a kid that has a lot of upside athletically.  I know you do not have to be the greatest athlete at 7'3" but seriously the kid looks labored getting up and down the court.  I believe it's to the point that he may have trouble finishing a basketball career.  Just an observation.  I asked a guy that I know very well who happens to be somewhat respected on the hoop scene about this and he said that he needs to improve greatly to be effective on that level.  If you haven't seen him play then you won't know what I am talking about, but any type of unbiased observer would have trouble with his ability to get up and down the court.

No, you're absolutely right that it's a concern. His body does not look like it's made for basketball. He looks too tall, if that makes any sense. It's quite possible that there are just aspects to his body and level of athleticism that he's going to have no ability to improve. But we'll see. He does have a lot of skill for a big. He can shoot and pass. Maybe Anderson is looking to finally make some changes and play more half-court ball. It'll be interesting to see how things play out. He's got several SEC offers, including the Hogs. I do suspect that his ranking will drop by the time he's a senior.

rude1

After watching some video, I have to agree with this. Other than throwing teams a cure ball by having him shooting the 3, I didn't see a lot that translates to being effective on the major college level.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: mhuff on February 25, 2016, 01:49:54 pm
Don't believe anything you hear and half of what you see. I have never heard but good things.

It has happened in the past because people were making " Bu$ine$$ decisions. I think we all know what happened.

Ain't that truth...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

mhuff

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 25, 2016, 03:00:27 pm
He is only a Soph and he is 7'3 so all the stuff you think he should have will come in 2-4 years.  Until then he can shoot the 3 ball  well enough that he will pull the opposing Center out from underneath the basket.

Blows my mind that people expect him to run like a gazelle. I like what I have seen of his shooting. I just hope that he can learn to move his feet. Kingsley probably does this so well from having played soccer. He must be doing something right to be chosen for the 15 and under National Team.

SWD26

How's it going mhuff?

Good points, it may be too early to make a good evaluation. He has a lot of time to grow into all that length and might be a little more athletic as he gets older, more mature.

mhuff

This year has been a bust  ,but I am optimistic that better times are coming. Today I was excited about a Serbian recruit, but the info went off the board. Sounded like he could play.

intelligence

RE, Vanover:

I'd like to remind everyone here of a player by the name of Zydrunas Ilgauskas. The prototypical unathletic floorbound center, he had a 14 year NBA career and is the all time leader in blocks and rebounds for the cleveland cavaliers.

I also disagree that Vanover would be such a poor fit in our Offense. Almost every coach would love to have a sky scraper center who can step out and knock down the 3, for reasons that are obvious.

TomBigBeeHog

I want Dembele. With his size, he and Gafford could make a nice tandem in the post.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Adam Stokes

Also on Vanover, I remember seeing a video a year or so back and the kid was an absolute string bean.  Just watched a video that came out about 2 months ago and it looks like he has put on a lot of weight already.  Let's also not forget that he still has 32 months until he plays his first game as a Razorback.  That is more than enough time to bulk up and work on some of the knocks he currently has.  Hopefully he plays outside of the high school circuit so he can learn to bang bodies a little more, because he obviously doesn't have to do that much now.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on February 26, 2016, 08:45:59 am
Also on Vanover, I remember seeing a video a year or so back and the kid was an absolute string bean.  Just watched a video that came out about 2 months ago and it looks like he has put on a lot of weight already.  Let's also not forget that he still has 32 months until he plays his first game as a Razorback.  That is more than enough time to bulk up and work on some of the knocks he currently has.  Hopefully he plays outside of the high school circuit so he can learn to bang bodies a little more, because he obviously doesn't have to do that much now.

I would like to see how he reacts to a elbow to the ribs ala Trey on Simmons. That would tell me a little about his toughness inside.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

mhuff

Once knew a good player who grew  4" in a year to about 6'5". It took him about a year to regain his coordination. Now think about our 7'3" skyscraper. Regardless, you have to be able to move your feet in all sports. Hunter Mickeldon did not move his feet. I noticed that in h.s. He did not improve very much. He could have been a force. It takes effort and confidence. I watched a 6'6" freshman last night. He has really progressed this year. He is now a shot blocking rebounding machine. He is really starting to score. He plays AAU so it will be interesting to watch him progress.

jjdlc

Concerning Vanover, I think he could be quite productive here.  My concern wouldn't be on the offensive end anyway, I would be more worried how he would fit in our Defense.

bvillepig

Mark Eaton is another great example of a non athletic center.  I had the pleasure of hearing him speak at a small seminar and then had supper with him. His story is fascinating.

If Vanover has the want to he will do fine in any system at 7 ft 3. He might not be a scorer but can always be a top defender and rebounder.

TomBigBeeHog

What's the point of being 7'3" if you can't be an effective offensive player,  or defensive for that matter?

Uncommon

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2016, 03:19:24 pm
What's the point of being 7'3" if you can't be an effective offensive player,  or defensive for that matter?
Get cats out of trees?

TomBigBeeHog

Captain Morgan

His last name is pronounced "Dem Bay Lay"

gmarv

any thoughts on whether vanover has quit growing or not.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: mhuff on February 25, 2016, 09:17:25 pm
Blows my mind that people expect him to run like a gazelle. I like what I have seen of his shooting. I just hope that he can learn to move his feet. Kingsley probably does this so well from having played soccer. He must be doing something right to be chosen for the 15 and under National Team.

I he doesn't have to run like gazelle as some would think. I have never seen him perform but if the good can shoot, rebound or block shots he be useful in the offense.

I would like to think that CMA knows how he could use him effectively. I'm sure he is not offering a full ride base on Hogville opinion. Just because he is an Arkansas kid.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ShadowHawg

Quote from: redleg on February 25, 2016, 11:08:30 am
Sounds about right. Once again, the best player in Arkansas isn't interested in playing for Arkansas.  >:(
What in the hell is going on?! WHY does this keep happening?!  ???  >:(
:razorback:

Because Heath, Altman, and Pel buried our program's national relevance. Today's recruits don't remember what the fans do because they have NEVER seen it!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Uncommon on February 24, 2016, 07:22:21 pm
The numbers will have to "work themselves out" IF it happened.  Either Watkins would go back to being a walk-on, someone transfers, or someone in the 2016 class doesn't qualify.

Numbers always work out but we need another big in this class.  With Coach getting a verbal from a guard in the spring then Coach must have a plan.

Dominicanhog

If someone did transfer and Manny went w/o, could you see CMA taking Zecivic and Dembele.... never know about Moses...

poloprince

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 28, 2016, 10:27:12 am
If someone did transfer and Manny went w/o, could you see CMA taking Zecivic and Dembele.... never know about Moses...

Moses isn't going anywhere, he's very high on his academics. I do wonder if these guys will have eligibility questions since they haven't been in the states very long.

I did read in the paper where the coach at that school said we have a better shot at the kid from Serbia. He said the kid from Africa doesn't like cold weather and that Ark may get a visit if MA goes to see them.
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

MountieDawg

Quote from: hogwood on February 25, 2016, 12:32:25 pm
Only game footage I could find of him. Bad quality. Haven't watched the whole thing as it is 16 minutes. He's #128 guarding Thon Maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpsaBVzc2s

I hate that at the start of the video I had to watch the guy with a booger stuck on his finger that he couldn't get off, then he wipes it on his shorts. 
SEC!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 28, 2016, 02:24:11 pm
I hate that at the start of the video I had to watch the guy with a booger stuck on his finger that he couldn't get off, then he wipes it on his shorts.

Leave it to MountieCAT to find something negative. ;)

jackflash

I would recruit him. in the video hard to tell how good he can be guards did throw him the ball or feed him on low posts

intelligence

Starting at center for your Arkansas Razorbacks, a 6'11" Freshman from Mali, give it up for Cheickna "Melee" Dembele

;D

hogwood

Quote from: poloprince on February 28, 2016, 01:36:29 pm

I did read in the paper where the coach at that school said we have a better shot at the kid from Serbia. He said the kid from Africa doesn't like cold weather and that Ark may get a visit if MA goes to see them.

Where'd you see this?

chiti66

Uh.....the kid plays in Rhode Island.  I would think that the weather is a tad bit better in NWA.  Bring him home CMA!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2016, 01:53:38 pm
I have heard/read that.
That is correct.

Saw him at the Hog football game in LR last September, walking through the packed concourse in the south end zone of War Memorial. At 7'3 he was hard to miss as he towered over everyone there.

Nice young man, was smiling and talking to other fans.

I'm 100% convinced he should/will be offered 1)ranked as high as #25 in his class  2)instate kid  3)Hog ties already  4)you can't teach height...there are so many ways a big man can impact the game without ever scoring a point, with defense, rebounding, blocked shots, intimidation, and stick backs 5)he actually has a great touch for a 7'3 kid  6)no reason to think he won't continue to develop in high school

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 29, 2016, 09:42:44 pm
That is correct.

Saw him at the Hog football game in LR last September, walking through the packed concourse in the south end zone of War Memorial. At 7'3 he was hard to miss as he towered over everyone there.

Nice young man, was smiling and talking to other fans.

I'm 100% convinced he should/will be offered 1)ranked as high as #25 in his class  2)instate kid  3)Hog ties already  4)you can't teach height...there are so many ways a big man can impact the game without ever scoring a point, with defense, rebounding, blocked shots, intimidation, and stick backs 5)he actually has a great touch for a 7'3 kid  6)no reason to think he won't continue to develop in high school

He has had an offer for most of this season already.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: chiti66 on February 29, 2016, 08:52:07 pm
Uh.....the kid plays in Rhode Island.  I would think that the weather is a tad bit better in NWA.  Bring him home CMA!

Pennsylvania not Rhode Island. Regardless they all play their games inside.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 28, 2016, 12:40:32 am
Because Heath, Altman, and Pel buried our program's national relevance. Today's recruits don't remember what the fans do because they have NEVER seen it!
Altman. Your funny. Altman had zero to do with undoing the program. He was only there for a matter of hours. Your just funny  ;D

hogwood

Would be sweet if we got Dembele. We should have a chance. I think he would get PT next year. The way Thompson is playing, Thompson and Kingsley could both be starting next year. Dembele could get some nice minutes off the bench. Bench front court of Dembele, Cook, and Thomas sounds pretty good to me.

jjdlc

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 03, 2016, 10:25:41 am
Altman. Your funny. Altman had zero to do with undoing the program. He was only there for a matter of hours. Your just funny  ;D

I wouldn't say zero.  The debacle had a huge negative impact on our public image at the time.  Im sure the impact on recruiting wasn't great either. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogwood on March 03, 2016, 11:17:49 am
Would be sweet if we got Dembele. We should have a chance. I think he would get PT next year. The way Thompson is playing, Thompson and Kingsley could both be starting next year. Dembele could get some nice minutes off the bench. Bench front court of Dembele, Cook, and Thomas sounds pretty good to me.

Hope we get a visit soon because the month long spring signing period starts April 13th. We need to have established some serious interest in the next few weeks to have a shot at either one of the two bigs at SPI.

I would prefer we landed Dembele but they both seem to be good prospects. Think I read on here that North Carolina may be getting involved with Dembele so he may be off the table soon.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 03, 2016, 10:25:41 am

So you think when a coach backs out of taking your job that it builds your standing in the rest of the country?

HoopS

It doesn't help but it wasn't his fault.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2016, 12:41:07 am
So you think when a coach backs out of taking your job that it builds your standing in the rest of the country?
Yes WarPigs88. I think it was so brief of a period that no one outside the state of Arkansas really knew about the incident. Altman was there in too short of a period that it did not matter

FBREW000

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 04, 2016, 12:30:25 pm
Yes WarPigs88. I think it was so brief of a period that no one outside the state of Arkansas really knew about the incident. Altman was there in too short of a period that it did not matter

Where I think you may be mistaking... It was reported all over ESPN, CBS Sports, on radio shows.. We were the laughing stock as was he.  It brought more negative publicity that most would remember...

Acer4

All the talk on this Vanover kid.  Did you see Bobby Portis as a sophmore?  Wasnt that good.   Two things that is hard to teach length and a natural shooting touch.  This kid has both.  With him and Gafford in the same lineup we could give teams problems with length.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 04, 2016, 12:30:25 pm

It was a national story. It came on the heels of Tom Izzo blasting us in the national press for firing Heath. Were you even around back then? How old were you?