Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016: Cheickna Dembele 6'11" Center

Started by The_Iceman, February 24, 2016, 03:31:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Pancetta on April 14, 2016, 06:45:17 pm
Is there a limit on head coahes visiting schools and tourneys and making themselves seen? Because I never hear about Mike making appearances at these places. Bielema gets his mug on tv as much as possible. That's the way the recruiting game is played successfully nowadays.
If CMA doesn't want to adapt to the realities of today's college basketball then he might as well hang up his whistle or go back to non power 5 coaching. These recruits don't care what you did 5 years ago, they want to know how you're going to help them reach their goals.

There are limits but the really aggressive recruiters find ways to get in front of the media and the cameras to promote themselves and their school.  CMA is not that guy.  He needs to hire someone who is but I guess he  will go down with the ship thinking that he is right.  Sounds a little like his ex boss doesn't it.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 19, 2016, 11:22:19 am
There are limits but the really aggressive recruiters find ways to get in front of the media and the cameras to promote themselves and their school.  CMA is not that guy.  He needs to hire someone who is but I guess he  will go down with the ship thinking that he is right.  Sounds a little like his ex boss doesn't it.

I like his ex boss. he won our only national championship
Hogs up! Covid down!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2016, 06:59:26 pm
You oversigning people just don't know what you are talking about.

I played in college and visited several schools. I also crossed off those schools that had the reputation for "oversigning" and cutting guys loose. My coach was who warned me about those schools.

So oversign, and ruin any good will you have been trying to build. Making new inroads on the recruiting trail literally takes years. That's a lot of time to throw away, IMO.

When you get more commitments than you have spots you have to explain to the recruit who you expect to be leaving to open up the spot for them.  You are trying to keep your better commitments and biggest needs.    You have to do this sometimes when you are dangerously low on depth at a position.

outlawhogeywells

so trying to get this thread back on track.  Any word on Checkna Dembele

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on April 19, 2016, 04:03:05 pm

Nothing involving Arkansas. Michigan State, specifically Tom Izzo himself, went to see him in person yesterday. UConn, Syracuse, Temple, and a few other programs have been reported as having visited recently.

There's been no mention of Arkansas in a while. He's a long-shot for Arkansas, as it's unknown if we've even bothered to offer (a question of need).
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

WooPig90

Quote from: hawgwileywyatt on April 19, 2016, 07:26:39 am
There has been no news about this kid from any teams. At least that I can find. If I remember right his coach anticipated him taking his OVs and then signing late in the spring period. I wonder if something has come up with his eligibility? You'd think he'd have his visits done by now but I don't see that he's taken any.

Agree, seems like maybe he is taking forever to get eligible?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 19, 2016, 11:37:23 am
When you get more commitments than you have spots you have to explain to the recruit who you expect to be leaving to open up the spot for them.  You are trying to keep your better commitments and biggest needs.    You have to do this sometimes when you are dangerously low on depth at a position.

I guess you think the people that supported you when you signed the kid you are booting for the new guy will support you again when you come back around for his future McDAA cousin who is only in 9th grade?

Not to mention, things like that play ill with anyone that was familiar with the kid you just screwed over. Other AAU teams in their REGION will take note as well.

Recruiting is about ONE thing at the U of A. Relationships. Always has been, always will be. This isn't Kentucky or Alabama.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on April 19, 2016, 04:03:05 pm

Going to UNLV

RealHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 30, 2016, 11:16:41 am
Going to UNLV

UNLV barely has a team right now so I'm not surprised. He should get heavy minutes there. Even with him and Fisher I think they still only have like 8 or 9 scholarship athletes for next year, if that.