Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 30, 2016, 12:50:34 pm
Any update?

http://www.scout.com/college/syracuse/story/1654337-syracuse-watching-dembele

"He holds offers from Iowa State, Missouri, NC State and Providence, among others."

I wouldn't hold my breath on this guy.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Razorod

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 30, 2016, 01:03:49 pm
http://www.scout.com/college/syracuse/story/1654337-syracuse-watching-dembele

"He holds offers from Iowa State, Missouri, NC State and Providence, among others."

I wouldn't hold my breath on this guy.

Yeah. I would guess if Syracuse is serious about him, that's where he goes.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

jackflash

if he doesn't like cold weather I don't see him going to a couple of these schools.

sadhogfan

Quote from: jjdlc on February 24, 2016, 07:48:35 pm
Why are so many people around here so keen on seeing this kid gone?  We have all of 7 minutes of playing time to base any opinion on.  In that 7 minutes, he hit a 3, grabbed 2 rebounds, and had 1 assist. 

With only a little bit of exaggeration, this was basically the production we got out of Babb last year, and there are people in JB who treated him like an All-American when he left.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jackflash on March 30, 2016, 08:24:49 pm
if he doesn't like cold weather I don't see him going to a couple of these schools.

Please don't be naive enough to buy that line.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Razorod on March 30, 2016, 05:00:43 pm

Your right.  I don't think we even make the conversation of these top 250 athletes unless we have some ties to their family or their coach.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorod on March 30, 2016, 05:00:43 pm

vs.

Pretty easy choice.

wheelspigharvey

RealHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on March 31, 2016, 10:38:28 am
Maybe he can get his wins vacated someday too!

Unfortunately the NCAA investigations unit is easily influenced and nearly toothless. Just take a look at the punishments they deal out. It's really just a joke to make us all feel better about "Student Athletes" at high level college sports.

Danny J

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 31, 2016, 10:34:47 am
Your right.  I don't think we even make the conversation of these top 250 athletes unless we have some ties to their family or their coach.
As I mentioned in another thread....the longer it takes to sign somebody the chances of us getting anybody decent is going to diminish and here is why:

Better programs and better recruiters will be looking to sign top talent as their current players decide to go pro, guys currently on the roster transfer out or current recruits don't qualify academically.

Right now we are not even sure who we are up against as many players are going to be getting back grades back from nba soon and then there are the guys who can't qualify and the guys who want to transfer out. We need to go HARD after who we want and it needs to happen soon. If we go after only our plan A guys now we are going to be scrambling late to sign plan G guys because all the plan B guys will be gone by then.

Danny J

We have 3 spots open in my book....whitts, watkins and jenkins. Start extending official offers and STOP worrying about over signing.

WooPig90

Quote from: Danny J on March 31, 2016, 06:10:35 pm
We have 3 spots open in my book....whitts, watkins and jenkins. Start extending official offers and STOP worrying about over signing.

How is Jenkins spot open?

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Danny J on March 31, 2016, 06:07:42 pm
As I mentioned in another thread....the longer it takes to sign somebody the chances of us getting anybody decent is going to diminish and here is why:

Better programs and better recruiters will be looking to sign top talent as their current players decide to go pro, guys currently on the roster transfer out or current recruits don't qualify academically.

Right now we are not even sure who we are up against as many players are going to be getting back grades back from nba soon and then there are the guys who can't qualify and the guys who want to transfer out. We need to go HARD after who we want and it needs to happen soon. If we go after only our plan A guys now we are going to be scrambling late to sign plan G guys because all the plan B guys will be gone by then.

Kentucky never uses all their schollies so they aren't likely to swoop in late to pick someone up because they pick guys up early. North Carolina doesn't operate that way, neither does Duke, Arizona or other "top" rated top recruiting programs.

There aren't many difference makers left at this point in the season that aren't already considering basketball royalty types schools and have been all year.

We don't have to scramble at all right now. We have a strong class already. In Whitt, we lost a guy that didn't want to compete with the kids we have already signed at his spot. That alone should tell you something.

I would rather that we use the scholly next year if we can't get a quality kid this season.

hogwood

I would think do too. Mike needs to win next year badly, especially now after losing the 2nd highest rated recruit he's ever brought to campus. That means you go after some kids hard. Get Fisher, get a C, get McGriff to switch. They are going to need somebody to flip.

And as far as an update on Dembele, CMA was expected at a tournament by the head coach of the PA team in order to be in good standing with the 2 bigs. Since we haven't heard any news of him showing up, or of a potential OV, I'm guessing we're not in the running anymore...

LRrazorback

Heard anything on this guy and the other big from Czech?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 06, 2016, 01:19:52 pm
Heard anything on this guy and the other big from Czech?

We're one of "countless" schools after Dembele. This is from 4/1 - http://abc27.com/2016/04/01/college-coaches-flocking-to-central-pa-to-recruit-cheickna-dembele/

As for Aleksandar Zecevic, the most recent reports state that San Diego, South Carolina St, and Akron have all reportedly offered. Winthrop has been mentioned as being involved.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

King Kong

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 06, 2016, 01:25:28 pm
We're one of "countless" schools after Dembele. This is from 4/1 - http://abc27.com/2016/04/01/college-coaches-flocking-to-central-pa-to-recruit-cheickna-dembele/

As for Aleksandar Zecevic, the most recent reports state that San Diego, South Carolina St, and Akron have all reportedly offered. Winthrop has been mentioned as being involved.

Weird thing is we haven't even offered Dembele yet.

I thought the may show interest in this kid that got his release from Ok State

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: King Kong on April 06, 2016, 01:30:44 pm
Weird thing is we haven't even offered Dembele yet.

I thought the may show interest in this kid that got his release from Ok State

Gorjok Gak? We might have expressed, but it takes two to tango. Other programs like UConn, Florida, Missouri and Nebraska were showing interest before he ever committed to OSU. The kid is Australian, and played prep in Florida, so I'd be surprised to see Arkansas actually be in mix at this stage.

King Kong

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 06, 2016, 01:37:43 pm
Gorjok Gak? We might have expressed, but it takes two to tango. Other programs like UConn, Florida, Missouri and Nebraska were showing interest before he ever committed to OSU. The kid is Australian, and played prep in Florida, so I'd be surprised to see Arkansas actually be in mix at this stage.

Yes i was talking about Gak. I wasn't saying Arkansas would get him. I thought they may reach out.

I would say it's easy to say we haven't reach out as one can basically tell our recruiting by following TJ Clevelands Twitter account.

Danny J

Quote from: WooPig90 on March 31, 2016, 06:23:04 pm
How is Jenkins spot open?
It's not....I would recruit as though it was because moses may leave early we may have a JUCO not make it or who knows what else. I would still be recruiting for 3 spots.

Danny J

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 31, 2016, 07:43:34 pm
Kentucky never uses all their schollies so they aren't likely to swoop in late to pick someone up because they pick guys up early. North Carolina doesn't operate that way, neither does Duke, Arizona or other "top" rated top recruiting programs.

There aren't many difference makers left at this point in the season that aren't already considering basketball royalty types schools and have been all year.

We don't have to scramble at all right now. We have a strong class already. In Whitt, we lost a guy that didn't want to compete with the kids we have already signed at his spot. That alone should tell you something.

I would rather that we use the scholly next year if we can't get a quality kid this season.
I am not at all worried about the blue blood schools you mentioned. I am more worried about the schools LIKE aTm and MSU and LSU. Also...what happens if Moses goes pro? We are hearing rumors and we know his family situation. We do have a good class but we need to sign another true big. If moses leaves early I don't want to hear all the "caught off guard" non-sense we heard after Qualls and Portis left. The staff is very aware that we need to look to fill two spots but really need to sign another big man to replace Moses and allow development. So we may save a scholarship but we definitely need to fill one with a big man...this year.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Danny J on April 06, 2016, 04:29:26 pm
I am not at all worried about the blue blood schools you mentioned. I am more worried about the schools LIKE aTm and MSU and LSU. Also...what happens if Moses goes pro? We are hearing rumors and we know his family situation. We do have a good class but we need to sign another true big. If moses leaves early I don't want to hear all the "caught off guard" non-sense we heard after Qualls and Portis left. The staff is very aware that we need to look to fill two spots but really need to sign another big man to replace Moses and allow development. So we may save a scholarship but we definitely need to fill one with a big man...this year.

You said better programs would swoop in. Do Miss St and LSU really fit that bill?

Danny J

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 06, 2016, 04:47:55 pm
You said better programs would swoop in. Do Miss St and LSU really fit that bill?
They are signing better players so as far as recruiting goes they are doing better.

MSU currently has #6 class nationally and LSU was top 5 last year.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on April 06, 2016, 04:19:14 pm
It's not....I would recruit as though it was because moses may leave early we may have a JUCO not make it or who knows what else. I would still be recruiting for 3 spots.

If in doubt of a stud not coming back then I would recruit/sign for it.   Especially if your team is already very low in numbers or talent in that spot.  I agree with you and if you end up signing a stud and don't have a spot for him then you make him a hole by letting a player who is not cutting it for whatever reason go.   Grades, attitude, habits or lastly not talented enough. 

Danny J

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 06, 2016, 05:56:04 pm
If in doubt of a stud not coming back then I would recruit/sign for it.   Especially if your team is already very low in numbers or talent in that spot.  I agree with you and if you end up signing a stud and don't have a spot for him then you make him a hole by letting a player who is not cutting it for whatever reason go.   Grades, attitude, habits or lastly not talented enough.
Yep and I am a big fan of cma and want him to succeed in the worst way. I hope he is out there recruiting like his job depends on it because it does.

hogwood

Yeah I don't think we are getting this kid anymore. Either of the PA kids. As I mentioned before, their head coach was expecting CMA to show up at a tourney of theirs a few weeks back now. That was going to solidify us getting a visit from one or both of the bigs. Both want to sign this coming signing period. Since we haven't heard anything about CMA showing up at the tournament, and it was a big one in Atlanta, I don't think he went. So we might be out of the picture, thus why there has been no update.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Danny J on April 06, 2016, 05:43:01 pm
They are signing better players so as far as recruiting goes they are doing better.

MSU currently has #6 class nationally and LSU was top 5 last year.

If that is what you are going by, you did see that thread on here about the 4th rated class nationally, right?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

VirginiaHog

Good call

ShadowHawg

You oversigning people just don't know what you are talking about.

I played in college and visited several schools. I also crossed off those schools that had the reputation for "oversigning" and cutting guys loose. My coach was who warned me about those schools.

So oversign, and ruin any good will you have been trying to build. Making new inroads on the recruiting trail literally takes years. That's a lot of time to throw away, IMO.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2016, 06:59:26 pm

I played in college and visited several schools. I also crossed off those schools that had the reputation for "oversigning" and cutting guys loose. My coach was who warned me about those schools.

So oversign, and ruin any good will you have been trying to build. Making new inroads on the recruiting trail literally takes years. That's a lot of time to throw away, IMO.

Maybe, but what we are doing the last 2 off seasons isn't working either

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 11, 2016, 07:02:41 pm
Maybe, but what we are doing the last 2 off seasons isn't working either

But won't affect you moving forward and the other will. Things aren't like they used to be. There are fewer gate keepers to these kids than there were when you dealt with their HS coaches instead of AAU pimps.

Make ONE AAU guy mad, and you won't get through the gate to quite a few good prospects instead of the once a decade kid if you make a HS coach mad.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2016, 06:59:26 pm

Who said anything about oversigning? The spring signing period doesn't kick in until this Wednesday. The staff doesn't have to ask for a commitment in January, February, or even mid-March. Just keep showing interest.

"Recruiting. Never. Stops."

This makes three out of the past four years now that we've had openings left to fill in the spring. Look at the recruiting forum....names of recruits the staff have interest in been passed around since mid-March. The staff knew there'd be openings before any of us (& the media) ever did.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 11, 2016, 07:40:14 pm
Who said anything about oversigning? The spring signing period doesn't kick in until this Wednesday. The staff doesn't have to ask for a commitment in January, February, or even mid-March. Just keep showing interest.

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 11, 2016, 07:40:14 pm

"Recruiting. Never. Stops."

This makes three out of the past four years now that we've had openings left to fill in the spring. Look at the recruiting forum....names of recruits the staff have interest in been passed around since mid-March. The staff knew there'd be openings before any of us (& the media) ever did.

Just look below your last post and you will see the oversigning sentiment.

The timing of departures has a lot to do with being able to fill them. Do you think the staff played Whitt knowing that he was transferring? I think they have been recruiting to fill Jenkins spot all along.

So the notion that they know way before we do isn't always accurate.

HawgAdvocate

April 12, 2016, 11:45:27 am #137 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:11:47 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 12, 2016, 11:17:45 am
Just look below your last post and you will see the oversigning sentiment.

The timing of departures has a lot to do with being able to fill them. Do you think the staff played Whitt knowing that he was transferring? I think they have been recruiting to fill Jenkins spot all along.

So the notion that they know way before we do isn't always accurate.

The one guy who typed the word expressed the notion of not worrying about it, because it wasn't/isn't a concern. That was on March 31st. That's roughly two weeks from spring signing even being possible. The staff knew then that openings would be there, based on the attention they were giving to the two bigs in PA (well before March 4th, when this thread was created) and a few guards (Desmond Cambridge, etc).

The staff knows about eventual/likely departures well before the public does, even when they do their best to avoid the topic when talking to the media/public. Bolin put it out there in mid-March. So if a random Gatehouse beat writer knew about it then, do you really think the staff didn't have any sort of clue weeks prior?

Again, recruiting doesn't = seeking immediate verbal commitments in February or bust. "Recruiting never stops." It happens nearly every year with this staff. Keep pushing the brand, create interest, push likely opportunity. Kids can't sign until mid-April. There's no threat/possibility/worry/concern of oversigning until mid-April. By then, the staff has had plenty of time to meet with players after spring break. They know with 100% certainty.

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

hogwood

Supposedly staff is going to a tournament in NYC this weekend to watch Jared Ridder (17'). I wonder if they will head over to PA afterwards.

hawgwileywyatt

Quote from: hogwood on April 12, 2016, 01:48:06 pm
Supposedly staff is going to a tournament in NYC this weekend to watch Jared Ridder (17'). I wonder if they will head over to PA afterwards.

Maybe. I think Mike will keep a scholly for next year. get a transfer and a player this year.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawgwileywyatt on April 12, 2016, 02:17:05 pm
Maybe. I think Mike will keep a scholly for next year. get a transfer and a player this year.

Dembele would be a nice get. Probably a reach with our recruiters alligator arms but hoping we pull a rabbit out of the hat with this one.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Razorod on February 25, 2016, 04:57:33 am
Yep. Three high school and three juco.

How many new signees do we have to add before we announce the program in complete shambles???

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 13, 2016, 08:30:51 pm
How many new signees do we have to add before we announce the program in complete shambles???
How many times do you have to post the same crap over and over

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 13, 2016, 08:30:51 pm

Who's going to announce that their program is in shambles whether it is or it ain't? How does adding more guys to the roster put us in shambles?

Pancetta

Is there a limit on head coahes visiting schools and tourneys and making themselves seen? Because I never hear about Mike making appearances at these places. Bielema gets his mug on tv as much as possible. That's the way the recruiting game is played successfully nowadays.
If CMA doesn't want to adapt to the realities of today's college basketball then he might as well hang up his whistle or go back to non power 5 coaching. These recruits don't care what you did 5 years ago, they want to know how you're going to help them reach their goals.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2016, 10:36:24 am

Pretty easy choice.
You lose all credibility using that last meme. Total exaggeration of reality on the hill.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Pancetta on April 14, 2016, 06:45:17 pm
Is there a limit on head coahes visiting schools and tourneys and making themselves seen? Because I never hear about Mike making appearances at these places. Bielema gets his mug on tv as much as possible. That's the way the recruiting game is played successfully nowadays.
If CMA doesn't want to adapt to the realities of today's college basketball then he might as well hang up his whistle or go back to non power 5 coaching. These recruits don't care what you did 5 years ago, they want to know how you're going to help them reach their goals.

It is you who needs to adapt. Coaches aren't going to schools that often in basketball. They will to support guys that they have signed or have been on for a while.

Football recruiting and basketball recruiting aren't even the least bit alike. College football is a much bigger thing than college basketball and gets way more coverage.

redleg

Sooooooooo......is Anderson going to sign another big man for the 2016 class or not?  ???
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hawgwileywyatt

There has been no news about this kid from any teams. At least that I can find. If I remember right his coach anticipated him taking his OVs and then signing late in the spring period. I wonder if something has come up with his eligibility? You'd think he'd have his visits done by now but I don't see that he's taken any.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: redleg on April 18, 2016, 01:42:21 pm
Sooooooooo......is Anderson going to sign another big man for the 2016 class or not?  ???
:razorback:

Probable not is my guess unless he signs a transfer.  I base that on nothing coming up on the msg boards or on the rumor mills on this subject.