Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss

Started by upperdeck_hawg, January 19, 2016, 12:15:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2016, 11:39:44 am
Another funny one was, when the ASU pep band came to Hugh's house in our neighborhood to try to get him to stay and he walked out with an OM beanie on because it was cold.

The mental image of Hugh Freeze with a beanie on is causing me to have trouble focusing on work...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Country Stylz

Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, Mizzu. Losses to any of these will certainly make my Life Alert necklace go off when I become an old man.

Country Stylz

Quote from: Jean Lafitte on January 20, 2016, 11:32:32 am
Some of yall are funny, thinking this stuff happens all over the place but not at arkansas. It happens everywhere, even at arkansas. I've seen it with my own eyes (or heard from people directly involved) at several schools, even at the fcs level.

Breaking the rules is breaking the rules; we arent talking about strangling babies and kicking kittens. The only difference is how much it is done and how blatant. Most coaches are smart enough nowadays to maintain plausible deniability. Some places have full on bagmen, some donate to church's tied to recruits, some have cheap car payments, some get paid for a job that isn't real, some people may slip players/recruits a few hundreds here and there, it goes on and on. It's all "cheating".

It's not an idictment on the coaches or schools. They can't control what goes on with people that don't work there. Obviously some know more than others about what/when/how it is occurring. But don't fool yourselves into thinking we are on some kind of moral high ground, it happens everywhere.
Well if we are cheating then our recruiting ranking needs to jump up about 15 spots. If we are cheating, why are our recruiting classes near the bottom of the conference every year?

scruf

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 20, 2016, 01:51:29 pm
Such a stupid response.  Laquan Treadwell posted one.  However, I don't need pictures to figure out what's going on there.  Programs like Ole Miss do not just become every top recruits' #1 option overnight simply by having a "great recruiting coaching staff" show up.  It just does not happen.  Period.  Especially at Ole Miss.

Vacating of wins to follow shortly....
I was talking about you saying that Arkansas was doing $100 handshakes. Did I read you wrong when you said "we"?

PorkRinds

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 20, 2016, 02:21:25 pm
He didn't get a car.  He was given the use of three different loaner cars over a six-month period and a $3,000, interest-free, 4-month promissory note to buy a used car.  He wasn't just given a $25,000 car.  The car shouldn't have been offered and Tunsil shouldn't have accepted it. 

What the Tunsil thing didn't bear out was that bagmen are shuttling all around the country dropping off thousands to recruits.  The outcome didn't say anything about recruitment, and Tunsil was one of the blue-chippers in the 2013 class.  If the NCAA was about to blow the lid off this "scandal," you'd have to assume this would be the place where they'd do it.

Three loaner cars over half a year sounds a lot like being given a car.  So he got a new one every couple of months.  He didn't own the car, but it was his car.  When he talked about it, do you think he called it "my car" or "the free rental car for six months that I'm being allowed to drive"?  Truth be told the NCAA isn't about to blow the lid off of any major program unless they have video of someone paying out bag money.  But Ole Miss cheats, and Tunsil proved it.  Don't give me that "it wasn't really HIS car" crap. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 20, 2016, 02:25:05 pm
BTW, I respect you as one of the better posters from a different fan base but things are very fishy right now at Ole Miss.

Thanks.

Ironically, we really have the Dale, with his Fiddy Years and Frito Pies, to thank for where we are.

Being an Ole Miss fan has been pretty frustrating.  Lots of Ole Miss fans were pretending that 1969 was last year, keeping jobs "within the family" was great, and winning the party was enough.  Then the Dale marched along and put us into a 14-game SEC losing streak.  That losing streak slapped parts of the fan base back into reality.  We weren't lovable, party-throwing losers--we were just losers. 

Part of the fanbase, particularly the younger part, had been pretty exasperated for a long time.  The whole "let's win a few and maybe go to the Liberty Bowl" mentality in some parts of the fanbase was just pathetic.  The losing streak, and chronic mismanagement by former AD Pete Boone--a "within the family" hire--finally threw the fanbase into complete revolt.  The administration was pretty much told, everyone leaves or the money stops.  Nutt was fired, Boone was fired, and we pretty much hired professional leadership in the athletic department for the first time ever. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 20, 2016, 02:32:11 pm
Well if we are cheating then our recruiting ranking needs to jump up about 15 spots. If we are cheating, why are our recruiting classes near the bottom of the conference every year?

In the words of Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw) in The Sting:   "What the hell was I supposed to say?  That he's a better cheater than I am??"
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 20, 2016, 02:36:34 pm
Three loaner cars over half a year sounds a lot like being given a car.  So he got a new one every couple of months.  He didn't own the car, but it was his car.  When he talked about it, do you think he called it "my car" or "the free rental car for six months that I'm being allowed to drive"?  Truth be told the NCAA isn't about to blow the lid off of any major program unless they have video of someone paying out bag money.  But Ole Miss cheats, and Tunsil proved it.  Don't give me that "it wasn't really HIS car" crap. 

I'm sure he did, and I'm sure the benefit was totally impermissible.  But I'm also sure that title didn't pass to him, so, no, he wasn't given a car.  It was still wrong.

I disagree that it shows that Ole Miss cheats.  What it did show was an Ole Miss player accepted an impermissible benefit.  What it didn't show was institutional cheating of the sort that's constantly alleged.  What Tunsil did looked more like anticipation of agent money.  I really expected them to show that he'd taken quite a bit of agent money over last summer.  I think agents are much likelier to be dropping off cash than universities and their boosters.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 20, 2016, 02:41:22 pm
Thanks.

Ironically, we really have the Dale, with his Fiddy Years and Frito Pies, to thank for where we are.

Being an Ole Miss fan has been pretty frustrating.  Lots of Ole Miss fans were pretending that 1969 was last year, keeping jobs "within the family" was great, and winning the party was enough.  Then the Dale marched along and put us into a 14-game SEC losing streak.  That losing streak slapped parts of the fan base back into reality.  We weren't lovable, party-throwing losers--we were just losers. 

Part of the fanbase, particularly the younger part, had been pretty exasperated for a long time.  The whole "let's win a few and maybe go to the Liberty Bowl" mentality in some parts of the fanbase was just pathetic.  The losing streak, and chronic mismanagement by former AD Pete Boone--a "within the family" hire--finally threw the fanbase into complete revolt.  The administration was pretty much told, everyone leaves or the money stops.  Nutt was fired, Boone was fired, and we pretty much hired professional leadership in the athletic department for the first time ever. 

I remember warning a few Ole Miss fans about Nutt but they didn't want to listen.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

onebadrubi

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 20, 2016, 02:45:43 pm
I'm sure he did, and I'm sure the benefit was totally impermissible.  But I'm also sure that title didn't pass to him, so, no, he wasn't given a car.  It was still wrong.

I disagree that it shows that Ole Miss cheats.  What it did show was an Ole Miss player accepted an impermissible benefit.  What it didn't show was institutional cheating of the sort that's constantly alleged.  What Tunsil did looked more like anticipation of agent money.  I really expected them to show that he'd taken quite a bit of agent money over last summer.  I think agents are much likelier to be dropping off cash than universities and their boosters.

Please educate me on the source of the cash that Treadwell took a picture with?  If someone loans me a car for months to use as I please, I was given a car.  Who gives a crap who owns it, you still gave me a car.  Quit with your bogus crap.  If you think Tunsil is the only one on that roster and commit list that is received impermissible benefits than you are helpless or just here to troll. 

grayhawg

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 20, 2016, 02:48:30 pm
I remember warning a few Ole Miss fans about Nutt but they didn't want to listen.
LOL! And seems some Arkansas fans didn't listen to warnings from Boise State fans either.

longpig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 20, 2016, 01:55:37 pm
Well, this thread has been entertaining like all of the other "I can't really explain it very well, so cheating" threads that pop up over the years.

I'm practically certain some low level of rule-breaking, or playing fast-and-loose with the rules, is happening everywhere.  Hundred dollar handshakes and that sort of business.  But widespread, bagman, boosters giving out thousands cheating isn't happening anywhere.  We're living in a surveillance age.  You can't keep that kind of thing quiet.  Someone would have pictures, video, someone would talk.  You couldn't keep a secret that big, with that many people involved, quiet for years.  There are probably people in this thread that think a conspiracy in Benghazi has been exposed.  If you think that a secret that started in Libya and DC about national security can't be kept, I'm not really sure why you would think that a secret in nearby Mississippi involving college recruiting can be.  Perhaps Freeze and his staff should hold an in-service for the CIA.

If a recruit accepts payment, his eligibility is toast.  If you're a big-time recruit, and you plan to go to the NFL in three years, you're not going to gamble away your chance at the pros to make millions before you even get on campus because someone's waving around $1,000--at Ole Miss or anywhere else.  Someone's going to talk before three years go by.  These guys aren't going to risk their eligibility over what's really chump change comparatively.

Ole Miss doesn't sign everybody it recruits.  We lose recruits to other schools, even Arkansas.  Arkansas' best recruits in the upcoming 2016 class had offers from Ole Miss as well.  So, how could Arkansas possibly beat out the ATM that is Ole Miss?  Arkansas obviously paid more than Ole Miss was willing to pay.  After all, who could turn down such princely sums?  Or perhaps these players were uncommon paragons of virtue, willing to come to Arkansas to take a firm moral stand against the tide of recruiting corruption.  Arkansas aside, when other schools beat Ole Miss out, like State, or LSU, or Bama, or Auburn, did they just bid higher?  There's got to be some sort of reason for turning down this dump truck full of cash.

Or maybe there wasn't any cash involved.  Maybe they just liked somewhere else better.

What's really a problem is that Ole Miss recruiting and winning at a high level is disturbing to the way people view the football universe.  For instance, it's ok when Bama recruits and wins at a high level, because they're Bama.  Ole Miss isn't supposed to try to do the same, though--it's not their place.  Maybe Ole Miss is just sick of being defined by the expectations of others and found a native guy who could break us out of the cycle.

Or maybe it's all strippers and bags full of cash.  All of this "cheating" has been going on for 4 years now, heading into year 5.  Everyone keeps saying that everything is about to be exposed.  And then it's not.  All that we're really lacking here is some proof.  All that's really on the table is a deeply held belief that can't seem to convert itself into anything else.  Belief in this stuff is like belief in UFOs, or always betting on black, or Donald Trump.  That's the nice thing about things like this; they don't really demand internal logical consistency.  According to Rivals, Ole Miss had the #7 class in 2013, and has the #3 class for 2016.  The 2014 class was #21 and the 2015 class was #22.  If Ole Miss was really just spraying money everywhere, you wouldn't have seen that downturn--that 2014 and 2015 money would have spent just as easily as that 2013 and 2016 money.

What Freeze is doing isn't all that hard to figure out.  First, Ole Miss hasn't really experienced assistant coach turnover under Freeze; that means that the Ole Miss recruiting/coaching process has been relatively undisturbed for the better part of 5 seasons.  A kid isn't recruited by one guy, only to be either recruited by another or dropped altogether because the scheme has changed.  That means that the same guy has been on the same kid for as much as 4 years.

Second, they get in early.  They're on these kids as early as 9th grade.  They're not waiting until the kid's a junior or senior and then trying to establish a relationship.  By that time, a line has formed.  Freeze is making sure that Ole Miss is in the front of that line, not the back playing catch-up.  It's easier to curtail interest late than establish it.

Third, they target at least one elite prospect and go for broke on that kid.  If they get an early commitment, like they did with Nkemdiche in 2013 and Patterson in 2016, they get that kid to start recruiting other elite prospects.  If they can get just one more domino to fall, then they know they'll be in on several elite recruits.  Freeze can't do it every year--he didn't do it in 2014 or 2015--but he can do it occasionally. 

Or of course, cheating.

This seriously challenges the rampant ADD and other sundry learning disabilities of Hogville.
Don't be scared, be smart.

grayhawg

Quote from: longpig on January 20, 2016, 03:17:11 pm
This seriously challenges the rampant ADD and other sundry learning disabilities of Hogville.
While I really like NaturalStateReb he is an Ole Miss fan and like All fans his glasses are a little rose colored when his school is concerned.

BirmingHam

Please move this thread to SEC rants or somewhere else.

duckman

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 20, 2016, 01:46:53 pm
No LSU?

Not on the same level, I actually kinda like Les, I hope he retires there.

PorkRinds

Quote from: duckman on January 20, 2016, 03:49:26 pm
Not on the same level, I actually kinda like Les, I hope he retires there.
im sure white paid for that 2016 charger after selling his Xbox for lawyer money.

duckman

Well, this thread has been entertaining like all of the other "I can't really explain it very well, so cheating" threads that pop up over the years.

I'm practically certain some low level of rule-breaking, or playing fast-and-loose with the rules, is happening everywhere.  Hundred dollar handshakes and that sort of business.  But widespread, bagman, boosters giving out thousands cheating isn't happening anywhere.  We're living in a surveillance age.  You can't keep that kind of thing quiet.  Someone would have pictures, video, someone would talk.  You couldn't keep a secret that big, with that many people involved, quiet for years.  There are probably people in this thread that think a conspiracy in Benghazi has been exposed.  If you think that a secret that started in Libya and DC about national security can't be kept, I'm not really sure why you would think that a secret in nearby Mississippi involving college recruiting can be.  Perhaps Freeze and his staff should hold an in-service for the CIA.

If a recruit accepts payment, his eligibility is toast.  If you're a big-time recruit, and you plan to go to the NFL in three years, you're not going to gamble away your chance at the pros to make millions before you even get on campus because someone's waving around $1,000--at Ole Miss or anywhere else.  Someone's going to talk before three years go by.  These guys aren't going to risk their eligibility over what's really chump change comparatively.

Ole Miss doesn't sign everybody it recruits.  We lose recruits to other schools, even Arkansas.  Arkansas' best recruits in the upcoming 2016 class had offers from Ole Miss as well.  So, how could Arkansas possibly beat out the ATM that is Ole Miss?  Arkansas obviously paid more than Ole Miss was willing to pay.  After all, who could turn down such princely sums?  Or perhaps these players were uncommon paragons of virtue, willing to come to Arkansas to take a firm moral stand against the tide of recruiting corruption.  Arkansas aside, when other schools beat Ole Miss out, like State, or LSU, or Bama, or Auburn, did they just bid higher?  There's got to be some sort of reason for turning down this dump truck full of cash.

Or maybe there wasn't any cash involved.  Maybe they just liked somewhere else better.

What's really a problem is that Ole Miss recruiting and winning at a high level is disturbing to the way people view the football universe.  For instance, it's ok when Bama recruits and wins at a high level, because they're Bama.  Ole Miss isn't supposed to try to do the same, though--it's not their place.  Maybe Ole Miss is just sick of being defined by the expectations of others and found a native guy who could break us out of the cycle.

Or maybe it's all strippers and bags full of cash.  All of this "cheating" has been going on for 4 years now, heading into year 5.  Everyone keeps saying that everything is about to be exposed.  And then it's not.  All that we're really lacking here is some proof.  All that's really on the table is a deeply held belief that can't seem to convert itself into anything else.  Belief in this stuff is like belief in UFOs, or always betting on black, or Donald Trump.  That's the nice thing about things like this; they don't really demand internal logical consistency.  According to Rivals, Ole Miss had the #7 class in 2013, and has the #3 class for 2016.  The 2014 class was #21 and the 2015 class was #22.  If Ole Miss was really just spraying money everywhere, you wouldn't have seen that downturn--that 2014 and 2015 money would have spent just as easily as that 2013 and 2016 money.

What Freeze is doing isn't all that hard to figure out.  First, Ole Miss hasn't really experienced assistant coach turnover under Freeze; that means that the Ole Miss recruiting/coaching process has been relatively undisturbed for the better part of 5 seasons.  A kid isn't recruited by one guy, only to be either recruited by another or dropped altogether because the scheme has changed.  That means that the same guy has been on the same kid for as much as 4 years.

Second, they get in early.  They're on these kids as early as 9th grade.  They're not waiting until the kid's a junior or senior and then trying to establish a relationship.  By that time, a line has formed.  Freeze is making sure that Ole Miss is in the front of that line, not the back playing catch-up.  It's easier to curtail interest late than establish it.

Third, they target at least one elite prospect and go for broke on that kid.  If they get an early commitment, like they did with Nkemdiche in 2013 and Patterson in 2016, they get that kid to start recruiting other elite prospects.  If they can get just one more domino to fall, then they know they'll be in on several elite recruits.  Freeze can't do it every year--he didn't do it in 2014 or 2015--but he can do it occasionally. 

Or of course, cheating. 

You lost me at ,"Well"....

PorkRinds

Quote from: duckman on January 20, 2016, 03:55:47 pm
You lost me at ,"Well"....

Yep. That's ostrich level head in sand.

duckman

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 20, 2016, 03:52:02 pm
im sure white paid for that 2016 charger after selling his Xbox for lawyer money.

OH no the White deal was as dirty as it gets, but I don't want Les going anywhere.  He can't coach hia way out of a paper bag...

LRrazorback

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 20, 2016, 02:41:22 pm
Thanks.

14 games losing streak then the next year, Boom, top ranked recruiting class. Makes it all the more fishy. Was he on Tunsil and treadwell at A state?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 20, 2016, 03:06:08 pm
Please educate me on the source of the cash that Treadwell took a picture with?  If someone loans me a car for months to use as I please, I was given a car.  Who gives a crap who owns it, you still gave me a car.  Quit with your bogus crap.  If you think Tunsil is the only one on that roster and commit list that is received impermissible benefits than you are helpless or just here to troll. 

I'm not here to troll, and I've been here from the beginning.  If I loan my car to my sister-in-law, I'm not actually giving my sister-in-law my car.  I understand what you're saying, and I agree that it's a violation and the loaner shouldn't have been offered or accepted.  But I disagree that he was given a car.  Given the use of a thing isn't the same thing as simply owning it. 

As far as Tunsil being the only one, this is just restating your deeply held but unproven conviction.  I'm pretty sure that the NCAA probably looked around at more than just Tunsil. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 20, 2016, 02:48:30 pm

Why a program would ever want to hire a guy that's just been fired from another conference school is beyond me.  Hiring Nutt was the pinnacle of Pete Boone's idiocy.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on January 20, 2016, 03:44:20 pm
Nope there has never been a case of a player being shopped around for thousands of dollars.  Anywhere.  If you are going to come to an opposing teams board and try to defend your program, at least deal in reality.

We had a coach give his side piece $20,000, and she wasn't even a five star, but yeah $100 handshakes are the extent of cheating in college football.  Give me a break.  That whole post was ridiculous.

You may be selling her short.  She was pretty hot.

NaturalStateReb

duckman

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 20, 2016, 04:05:42 pm
14 games losing streak then the next year, Boom, top ranked recruiting class. Makes it all the more fishy. Was he on Tunsil and treadwell at A state?

Treadwell had a high school teammate that was already at Ole Miss.  Nkemdiche's brother was on the team.  Nkemdiche and Treadwell both committed and convinced Tunsil to follow.  Freeze had a couple of connections and made the most of them. 

swinemaster

Ask USC what kind of punishment they got for having "lack of institutional control".  Nobody on the staff ever noticed that Laremy was driving a different car every few months?  No, nobody cared.  It's a culture where breaking the rules are allowed.  Players know that it's OK if they get taken care of because the program turns a blind eye to it.

USC got nailed to the wall for this very kind of problem.

Dropkick

Does it really matter? We have been beating them recently whether their guys are getting paid or not? I feel CBB is better at evaluation, development and overall just a better coach. Some of the late game decisions Freeze makes are mind boggling.

greenEGnHAWGS

Or of course, cheating.

Wow. Ok, I'm not going to deny that Hugh might be a pretty decent recruiter that kid seem to like, but to say that "widespread (whatever you want to call them) giving these recruits (tons of money/rings/girls) isn't happening ANYWHERE" is pretty "head in the sand"ish to me.

And no, these kids aren't going to talk just because it's "been 3 years" and no one had said anything. If Treadwell wasnt getting girls/money on his official, why did he have to take that pic of his down so fast? Why didn't he just leave it up forever?

But honestly, I think you nailed it on the head on your 3rd point. These coaches zero in on the 5* players and in your words "go for broke on them". Get these guys and the rest will come. Now HOW can a team out of nowhere start pulling these? Who knows. You (an Ole Miss homer) thinks there's no way anything foul can be going on and I'm sure no one week convince you otherwise.

I know. I know. Can we prove it? Nope. That's why there is 9 pages of speculation here...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 20, 2016, 04:11:13 pm
Why a program would ever want to hire a guy that's just been fired from another conference school is beyond me.  Hiring Nutt was the pinnacle of Pete Boone's idiocy.

See Muschamp, Will. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Dropkick on January 20, 2016, 04:22:30 pm
Does it really matter? We have been beating them recently whether their guys are getting paid or not? I feel CBB is better at evaluation, development and overall just a better coach. Some of the late game decisions Freeze makes are mind boggling.

Amen brother...amen...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Country Stylz

Quote from: Dropkick on January 20, 2016, 04:22:30 pm
When he went for it at mid field 4th & 4 with 20 seconds left this last game......That was asinine.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 20, 2016, 04:39:08 pm
Wow. Ok, I'm not going to deny that Hugh might be a pretty decent recruiter that kid seem to like, but to say that "widespread (whatever you want to call them) giving these recruits (tons of money/rings/girls) isn't happening ANYWHERE" is pretty "head in the sand"ish to me.

And no, these kids aren't going to talk just because it's "been 3 years" and no one had said anything. If Treadwell wasnt getting girls/money on his official, why did he have to take that pic of his down so fast? Why didn't he just leave it up forever?

But honestly, I think you nailed it on the head on your 3rd point. These coaches zero in on the 5* players and in your words "go for broke on them". Get these guys and the rest will come. Now HOW can a team out of nowhere start pulling these? Who knows. You (an Ole Miss homer) thinks there's no way anything foul can be going on and I'm sure no one week convince you otherwise.

I know. I know. Can we prove it? Nope. That's why there is 9 pages of speculation here...

Not really. If paying for recruits was really widespread we'd hear about it. In an age where nothing is secret, this wouldn't be secret either.

Let's assume that major, multi year recruiting payments were happening at just 10% of FBS schools. That means that about 13 wide-ranging conspiracies involving coaches, players, and boosters are in progress right now, but happening in total secrecy. That many people aren't going to keep a secret that big for that long. Someone's going to brag. Someone's going to get mad and rat it out.

Treadwell's post was bragging, plain and simple. He's an 18 year old kid showing off. He took it down I presume because someone told him it was stupid.

I already posted the ins that Freeze had on Treadwell and Nkemdiche.

I'm an Ole Miss alum and a fan, but I don't think I'm a homer. I've been pretty critical of them in the past. I think your suspicion has more to do with where you think Ole Miss belongs in the football universe. You think Ole Miss isn't supposed to sign top talent, so if they do, there's something wrong. I understand the logic; I just think that logic proceeds from a false premise.

Still, we can agree to disagree.

jkstock04

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 20, 2016, 06:44:51 pm
Not really. If paying for recruits was really widespread we'd hear about it. In an age where nothing is secret, this wouldn't be secret either.

Let's assume that major, multi year recruiting payments were happening at just 10% of FBS schools. That means that about 13 wide-ranging conspiracies involving coaches, players, and boosters are in progress right now, but happening in total secrecy. That many people aren't going to keep a secret that big for that long. Someone's going to brag. Someone's going to get mad and rat it out.

Treadwell's post was bragging, plain and simple. He's an 18 year old kid showing off. He took it down I presume because someone told him it was stupid.

I already posted the ins that Freeze had on Treadwell and Nkemdiche.

I'm an Ole Miss alum and a fan, but I don't think I'm a homer. I've been pretty critical of them in the past. I think your suspicion has more to do with where you think Ole Miss belongs in the football universe. You think Ole Miss isn't supposed to sign top talent, so if they do, there's something wrong. I understand the logic; I just think that logic proceeds from a false premise.

Still, we can agree to disagree.

Of course you are a homer...and our fans on here would come off exactly like you do if we were ever to achieve this kind of recruiting success and people around the nation screamed "cheaters" at us. It's classic homerism head in the sand as it gets. It is pretty much a constant on Hogville. Your team/coach/administration can do no wrong as long as they are presently there.

I'll agree with you on one point though, and it is similar to what I have been saying about sour grapes...people absolutely don't like to see the Ole Miss success because "that's not where they belong in the football universe." (Nicely put btw)

We experienced this exact thing in 2010 and 2011. People didn't like seeing the Hogs ranked in the top 10 every week making that kind of noise. Made folks mad cause that's not what we are supposed to be. Made the SEC "weak" when a team like Arkansas has that kind of success in this conference. People hated Bobby Petrino cause he was a "mean" guy.

Inevitably, now we are loved around the conference again. Weird how that works huh? I gotta say it burns my ass to see the Bama fans come on here giving our program praise patting us on the back. What a joke. Of course they like us and where we are. Think they would be doing that if we had beat them 5 years in a row? And our fans eat  patronizing crap like that up...embarrassing.

I wanna go back to being a team that nobody likes because we mess up their cookie cutter view of the college football world...just like Ole Miss is doing now. Right now we are right where everyone likes us to be.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

The Hogfather

Good call.