Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss

Started by upperdeck_hawg, January 19, 2016, 12:15:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2016, 03:04:57 pm
Was it not fun beating them, and their highly rated class? We just need to worry about ourselves, and we'll get where we want to. As long as Freeze is coaching there, I'm not worried about them becoming some dynasty.

Sure it was.  But I'd trade seasons with them right now, and everyone else in this thread would, too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm pretty certain I wouldn't trade seasons if it meant trading reputations.  OM can keep their rep.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:06:49 pm
Well, they just won the Sugar Bowl, so either they've got elite talent or elite coaching.  I lean toward talent.

You act like that was the Super Bowl, they beat a weak Big 12 team like we did.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:08:22 pm
Sure it was.  But I'd trade seasons with them right now, and everyone else in this thread would, too.
Dont project onto others. I wouldnt if it meant we had to cheat, and have slim shady and the spice crew on our team.

duckman

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 19, 2016, 03:08:00 pm
I agree, but recruiting service rankings seem to matter with OM, but not UA.

As I have stated in the past, I look at the offer lists and video, don't give a s*** about the recruiting services...

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2016, 03:11:06 pm
You act like that was the Super Bowl, they beat a weak Big 12 team like we did.

I'm not old enough to remember us being nationally relevant.  A Sugar Bowl win WOULD be like a Super Bowl to me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Don't go speaking for everyone so fast, my friend.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: duckman on January 19, 2016, 03:14:17 pm
As I have stated in the past, I look at the offer lists and video, don't give a s*** about the recruiting services...

And class ranking isn't based on an offer sheet.  It's based on the dreaded star.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Country Stylz

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 19, 2016, 02:45:46 pm
Sure have made quite an effort to defend them. But it's fine...I know you're an Arkansas guy. It's just crazy to me that anyone would say "I think they probably are cheating." Then fought so hard to defend them.
Pork Rinds is pursuing a career as a bagman.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2016, 03:14:50 pm
Don't go speaking for everyone so fast, my friend.

If we were doing what they're doing, our fans would be bending over backwards to defend us. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

upperdeck_hawg

I started following the hogs in the late 70s. This Ole Miss rise to power has a lot of similarities to SMU. A similar average to below average program all of a sudden starts getting star players by the boat load and there is no explanation for it until...
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 19, 2016, 03:14:21 pm
And class ranking isn't based on an offer sheet.  It's based on the dreaded star.

And stars are based on offers......

PorkRinds

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 19, 2016, 03:15:17 pm
Pork Rinds is pursuing a career as a bagman.

I gat dat munney mang...

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:15:08 pm
If we were doing what they're doing, our fans would be bending over backwards to defend us. 

Ok, if you say so.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:13:18 pm
I'm not old enough to remember us being nationally relevant.  A Sugar Bowl win WOULD be like a Super Bowl to me.

We've been nationally relevant a few times in recent years...maybe 1998, 2006, 2010 and 2011.  But keeping with tradition, we only one 1 bowl game in those 4 tries.

upperdeck_hawg

i'd trade beating bama and winning the sugar bowl over losing to Toledo and winning the Liberty bowl in a heartbeat
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Oliver

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 19, 2016, 03:17:13 pm
I started following the hogs in the late 70s. This Ole Miss rise to power has a lot of similarities to SMU. A similar average to below average program all of a sudden starts getting star players by the boat load and there is no explanation for it until...

SMU got the death penalty.  Ah, memories of when the NCAA had a sack are fun.  Those days are long gone

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2016, 03:17:11 pm
Ok, if you say so.

Search your feelings.  You know it to be true.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Country Stylz

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 19, 2016, 02:47:17 pm
You're so much better than me!
Everybody says mean things and thinks they're better than me on here. All I did was stalk the head coach on Twitter to see if he would put a couple new option plays in, just for me. REALLY HURT MY FEELINGS YOU GUYS!!!

Oliver

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 19, 2016, 03:18:47 pm
i'd trade beating bama and winning the sugar bowl over losing to Toledo and winning the Liberty bowl in a heartbeat

Yeah but Ole Miss lost to us.  Still willing to trade?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:17:36 pm
Search your feelings.  You know it to be true.

Uh, no.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2016, 03:16:34 pm
And stars are based on offers......

EXACTLY the point I was walking to.  Thus making the services more legit than many want to admit..IMO.  Put OM is another conference or division, they probably win 11 regular season games this season.  They've got tons of talent just as the services claim.

southarkhog06

Our fans would be in homer denial just like there fans are. I may be too, I would certainly like to think not, but I am glad that I dont have to find out.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: Oliver on January 19, 2016, 03:18:10 pm
Yeah but Ole Miss lost to us.  Still willing to trade?

wouldn't even think about it.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Ugly Uncle

Ole Miss is probably going to get this kid from Patterson La.  That is the way he is leaning...he is a stud.  Ole Miss has been clean in dealing with this kid I know.  I think OM is dirty though, they have to be.  Mykel just really likes the coaches.

http://247sports.com/Player/Mykel-Jones-23476
Retired Radio Host

gmarv

no I would not trade with them either.

duckman

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 19, 2016, 03:14:21 pm

Agree, I really don't care about the rankings either.  What I do know is all of a sudden Ole Miss gets a visit from whoever they want.  Combine that with the evidence albeit circumstantial it is pretty damning.  That said, while I can't stand cheating, that isn't my issue here.  I just find it hard to deal with people here praising and condoning a rival that I and many believe to cheat.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 19, 2016, 03:19:31 pm
EXACTLY the point I was walking to.  Thus making the services more legit than many want to admit..IMO.  Put OM is another conference or division, they probably win 11 regular season games this season.  They've got tons of talent just as the services claim.

How many would we win in this "other" conference?

Country Stylz

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 02:58:32 pm
Because winning is fun and losing is not.
You don't really feel this way. You're just trying to get everyone riled up on a Tuesday.

Bubba's Bruisers

Troof.  Or I'd say we'd be denying it.

ricepig

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 19, 2016, 03:20:00 pm
Ole Miss is probably going to get this kid from Patterson La.  That is the way he is leaning...he is a stud.  Ole Miss has been clean in dealing with this kid I know.  I think OM is dirty though, they have to be.  Mykel just really likes the coaches.

http://247sports.com/Player/Mykel-Jones-23476

I think they've got good recruiters, no doubt, but do they have good coaches, mentors?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 19, 2016, 02:53:36 pm
Could be.

Hey PR, we're both Arkansas guys. Should I have made the 4th and 25 comment? Probably not. But NONE of this was said "just because you commented that Ole Miss recruits at a high level."

Just answer me these questions and I'll be done:

1. When their are headlines/topics everywhere referring to Ole Miss and their cheating, how can Hugh Freeze not know that there's a POSSIBILITY of something going on? If he indeed knows of the possibility, then you think he's scamming this thing thoroughly and has found nothing?

2. What WOULD be construed as evidence for you?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Country Stylz

In other news, does anyone think this Giovanni Lafrance character is a thumper? Hope we sign all these linbackers we're on. That juco kid as well. 6'2 225. Very quick. Can't think of his name.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2016, 03:22:22 pm
How many would we win in this "other" conference?

Depends on the conference, but if it's one like the Big12 where everyone plays the up tempo, sling it all over the filed offenses, then we'd be in trouble.  I'd say we'd match up best against Big10 type teams...at least our defense would.  Our offense would probably do just fine anywhere.  So probably we wouldn't significantly improve anywhere given our defense.  Maybe is was too optimistic with OM.  Maybe at least 10 wins.  They got puuulenty of talent. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 19, 2016, 03:25:27 pm
Hey PR, we're both Arkansas guys. Should I have made the 4th and 25 comment? Probably not. But NONE of this was said "just because you commented that Ole Miss recruits at a high level."

Just answer me these questions and I'll be done:

1. When their are headlines/topics everywhere referring to Ole Miss and their cheating, how can Hugh Freeze not know that there's a POSSIBILITY of something going on? If he indeed knows of the possibility, then you think he's scamming this thing thoroughly and has found nothing?

2. What WOULD be construed as evidence for you?

1.  I think people accuse those that win of cheating.  Now I do believe they are cheating, but accusations aren't anything but accusations.  From other fan bases, it sounds like sour grapes.  As far as Freeze, I don't know anything about him and how he operates.  I would say that if boosters are paying off recruits, they likely hide it from him if for no other reason than to protect their cash cow.
2.  I already said in this thread that I think they're cheating because of the Tunsil situation.  They got caught, and he was suspended by the NCAA.  No more proof needed. 

But none of that changes the argument I was making, which was that even if they're cheating, they also are doing something right with recruiting.  I don't think paying players is the only explanation for their success.  I think they are good recruiters too.  I've said nothing more, nothing less.

Country Stylz

Kapri Doucet. Plays with reckless abandon. We land some of these we'll be all right. I hope these big time DB's we have coming in aren't pay for play guys.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 19, 2016, 03:26:38 pm
Depends on the conference, but if it's one like the Big12 where everyone plays the up tempo, sling it all over the filed offenses, then we'd be in trouble.  I'd say we'd match up best against Big10 type teams...at least our defense would.  Our offense would probably do just fine anywhere.  So probably we wouldn't significantly improve anywhere given our defense.  Maybe is was too optimistic with OM.  Maybe at least 10 wins.  They got puuulenty of talent. 

We're 3-1 against the Big 12 since Bielema came, so there's that.

greenEGnHAWGS

Yeah, but our fans are bending their backs to defend THEM. That's what I don't get.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Wildhog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 19, 2016, 03:31:00 pm
Yeah, but our fans are bending their backs to defend THEM. That's what I don't get.

No one is defending them.  Everyone has said they're cheating.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Country Stylz

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 19, 2016, 03:22:14 pm
Troof.  Or I'd say we'd be denying it.
We'd have too. To not get our program crushed and lose schollies. No bowl games. It seems like Ole Miss is allowed to get away with it. As soon as we try it we'll get hit with a ten pound hammer. Hell the worst we've done is paying players $15 an hour to work at a carwash in texas.

Wildhog

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 19, 2016, 03:30:11 pm
Kapri Doucet. Plays with reckless abandon. We land some of these we'll be all right. I hope these big time DB's we have coming in aren't pay for play guys.

We have an outstanding group of recruits coming in this weekend. Hope we can land some of them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Country Stylz

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:32:34 pm
We have an outstanding group of recruits coming in this weekend. Hope we can land some of them.
Me too man.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 19, 2016, 03:28:37 pm
1.  I think people accuse those that win of cheating.  Now I do believe they are cheating, but accusations aren't anything but accusations.  From other fan bases, it sounds like sour grapes.  As far as Freeze, I don't know anything about him and how he operates.  I would say that if boosters are paying off recruits, they likely hide it from him if for no other reason than to protect their cash cow.
2.  I already said in this thread that I think they're cheating because of the Tunsil situation.  They got caught, and he was suspended by the NCAA.  No more proof needed. 

But none of that changes the argument I was making, which was that even if they're cheating, they also are doing something right with recruiting.  I don't think paying players is the only explanation for their success.  I think they are good recruiters too.  I've said nothing more, nothing less.

I guess it really all boils down to, would we as fans think that CBB and staff would be doing recruiting right by cheating?

I say no while you seem to think yes. Everything else we've talked about is just the headlines under that main topic.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:32:34 pm

We will, how many is the question??

Wildhog

This has been a fun thread.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2016, 03:30:43 pm
We're 3-1 against the Big 12 since Bielema came, so there's that.

Yep, but I was limiting my opinion to the 2015 season.  I think Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU would have smoked us.  TT did it.  We generally suck it up against teams with legit QB's.  Heck, even KSU with their 18th string QB gave us a scare.  I don't even think Texas fielded a QB against us in the Cotton bowl last year.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2016, 03:37:21 pm
This has been a fun thread.

I'll pick you up into the King Air, bring the duffle bag.......

Country Stylz

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 19, 2016, 03:28:37 pm

Hunter Henry and Alex Collins had to have great awareness to make that happen. It wasn't a fluke or a lucky play, it was fight till the last whistle blows. We beat Ole Miss' expensive team on there own field and knocked em out of Atlanta. Hell that game week on Finebaum they were talking about the LSU game and we were an after thought. They couldn't stop us all day. That wasn't a fluke, that was a classic Hog victory. Ay Hugh Freeze, you got change n****? And I don't know what this has to do with Pork Rinds post. Hell with it.

Temprees

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 19, 2016, 12:24:10 pm
A recruit (allegedly) gets $1,000 for giving Ole Miss an official visit (which usually means they're in their Top 5). The Ole Miss boosters are buying branding and marketing getting their name beside Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, etc.
You are correct. It's all about the Benjamins. ($$$$$$$)

Sir Oinksalot

...it shows on the 24/7 site that OM has an average of .90 stars, Arkansas .878.
So basically 2/100's of a point difference. That doesn't seem like much...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...