Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: Rebels LT Laremy Tunsil scheduled to return Oct. 24 vs. A&M

Started by jbcarol, June 27, 2015, 05:28:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 9h9 hours ago

Why Laremy Tunsil poses problems for Auburn: http://ow.ly/TYi9h

QuoteAfter serving a seven-game suspension for improper benefits, Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil appeared to be in mid-season form with an impressive debut last weekend. The 6-foot-5, 305-pound junior gave the Rebels a major boost, providing plenty of pass protection in a 23-3 upset of Texas A&M while anchoring a line that made way for 230 yards on a season-high 51 carries (4.5 yards per rush).

"They are getting their offensive line back intact," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said. "You could see that last week with their run game."

Prior to the Texas A&M game, the Rebels (6-2, 3-1 SEC) averaged just 104 rushing yards and 2.9 yards per carry in SEC play against Alabama, Vanderbilt and Florida. The line allowed 3.6 quarterback hurries in those three contests, but on Saturday Tunsil helped protect Rebels quarterback Chad Kelly, who was hurried twice and sacked just once.

Aggies defensive end Myles Garrett, considered by some to be the SEC's best pass rusher, finished with seven tackles (two for loss) and an interception against the Rebels, but Tunsil managed to keep him in check in the majority of their one-on-one situations.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 16h16 hours ago

Tuesday night practice notes: Tony Conner likely to return, Tunsil at WR? http://on.thec-l.com/1RtO7vo

QuoteOXFORD — Ole Miss safety Tony Conner is likely to play Saturday against Arkansas, but the Rebels have backup plans ready.

The Rebels' starting offensive line Saturday could be the same as last week's. Laremy Tunsil, Aaron Morris, Ben Still, Jordan Sims and Fahn Cooper (from left to right) took snaps together...

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 18h18 hours ago

Laremy Tunsil going first overall? Dane Brugler seems to think so: http://on.thec-l.com/1O002Ae

QuoteTunsil: "The Lions have struggled to protect the pocket and create run lanes at the line of scrimmage so not only does Tunsil fit a glaring need, but he's also worthy of the top pick. The Ole Miss star has NFL-ready tools to play left tackle, forcing Riley Rieff over to right tackle."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ChrisVernonShow/status/680888989352509440

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling  18h18 hours ago
Daniel Paulling Retweeted Chris Vernon
Is Jeremy Tinsel the State Farm duplicate of Laremy Tunsil?

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 17h17 hours ago

Here's a look at Friday's top matchup -- Laremy Tunsil vs. Emmanuel Ogbah: http://on.thec-l.com/1NLYytF

QuoteNEW ORLEANS - Oklahoma State junior Emmanuel Ogbah grew up playing basketball and soccer in his native Nigeria, but his third sport could provide him a career -- one in the NFL.

The Cowboys' defensive end moved to the United States 13 years ago at age 9, which led to many new experiences. He hadn't even seen a stoplight until after his family arrived in Houston, which they chose because a number of family members already lived there.

One of the new things Ogbah learned was football, which he started participating in in seventh grade after he saw some of his friends playing. The 6-foot-4, 275-pound star admitted he was small at the time and initially played fullback and quarterback.

He eventually moved to the defensive line, where he's become one of the top players in the country.

Ogbah leads the Big 12 with 13 sacks, a figure that ranks third nationally, and 17.5 tackles for loss. He's also collected 19 quarterback hurries this season, a program record that more than doubled the previous mark of eight.

"It's going to be a great matchup, supposed to be the No. 1 offensive lineman in the country," Ogbah said. "He's very athletic for his size. That'll be a big thing, trying to get around him. He's so lengthy. I'm going to have to do a good job beating the blocks."

Ogbah, of course, won't line up solely against Tunsil. He'll switch sides on the Cowboys' defensive line, pitting him against right tackle Fahn Cooper at times.

Cooper said it's difficult to compare Ogbah to anybody he's played against this season but added defensive end Fadol Brown, who Cooper goes against in practice, is similar.

"We're going to have to come up with some answers for him," offensive coordinator Dan Werner said. "He's a physical guy as well as a speed rusher. Anytime you put those two together, you're sitting back thinking, 'OK, I know he's coming around the corner and going to be trying to speed rush me,' and he locks in on you and tries to bull rush. That makes it tough."

jbcarol

Tunsil got his first TD at the end of the half in the Sugar Bowl.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 8h8 hours ago

Laremy Tunsil after the game said he'd sit down with his family to discuss NFL Draft, should know "next week."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 12h12 hours ago

Mel Kiper believes Ole Miss star Laremy Tunsil could "be a complete left tackle" in the NFL http://sec.news/1TYZtZF

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 50m50 minutes ago

Laremy Tunsil, whose footwork has NFL scouts raving, gets 34 reps on the bench at #OleMiss Pro Day, matching the most at the NFL Combine

https://twitter.com/SpiritBen/status/714483952854155269

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/722856755198304256

QuoteSEC could have the most players taken among Power Five conferences in the 2016 NFL Draft, but it almost certainly won't have a player taken with the first two picks.

It becomes even more likely following Philadelphia Eagles' blockbuster trade with the Cleveland Browns for the No. 2 overall pick.

Translation: It's unlikely that Ole Miss left tackle Laremy Tunsil will be taken within the first two picks. The Ole Miss left tackle is regarded as arguably the top player in this class, but it's almost a certainty these two trades weren't made for a player other than a quarterback.

Tunsil could even fall outside of the top five... There's a very low chance Tunsil falls outside of the top 10.

https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/722843520655040516

jbcarol

Former Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil faces another lawsuit from his stepfather, Lindsey Miller, just days before Tunsil is expected to be taken early in the NFL draft.

QuoteA lawsuit filed late Tuesday at the Lafayette County Courthouse by Starkville attorney Matthew Wilson, who represents Miller, alleges that Tunsil attacked Miller last June and that Tunsil defamed Miller's character. The lawsuit alleges these two things were an "intentional infliction of emotional distress."

The lawsuit is only one side of the legal argument. Attempts to contact Wilson and Jimmy Sexton, Tunsil's agent, were unsuccessful.

"I don't know anything about it," Tunsil told reporters Wednesday morning in Chicago.

Miller and Tunsil filed domestic violence charges against each other last year. Tunsil alleged he attacked Miller after Miller attacked Tunsil's mother, Desiree Polingo, and Miller alleged Tunsil attacked him unprovoked. Both sides dropped the charges last August.

jbcarol

Tunsil's attorney releases statement, calls lawsuit "unsavory attempt to obtain money" and "frivolous" complaint:

QuoteFormer Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil is being sued by stepfather Lindsey Miller days before Tunsil is expected to be chosen early in the first round of the NFL draft.

A lawsuit filed late Tuesday afternoon at the Lafayette County Courthouse by Starkville attorney Matthew Wilson of behalf of Miller alleges that Tunsil attacked Miller last June and that Tunsil defamed Miller's character. The lawsuit alleges these two things were an "intentional infliction of emotional distress."

Tunsil's attorney, Steve Farese, attacked the lawsuit.

"The lawsuit filed against Mr. Tunsil appears to be yet another attempt by Mr. Miller to damage Mr. Tunsil, his family, and the University," Farese said in a statement. "This unsavory attempt to obtain money from a talented young man is a sad example of the times. The timing of this suit, on the eve of the NFL draft, speaks volumes as to Mr. Miller's motives.

"We will vigorously defend Mr. Tunsil against this frivolous complaint and are confident it will be dealt with appropriately by the Courts."

Wilson declined comment when reached by The Clarion-Ledger on Wednesday morning, and an attempt to reach Jimmy Sexton, Tunsil's agent, was unsuccessful.

"I don't know anything about (the lawsuit)," Tunsil told reporters Wednesday morning in Chicago at a predraft event.

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 6h6 hours ago

Daniel Paulling Retweeted Barry Jackson

It looks like Tunsil is going through a position change

Barry Jackson
‏@flasportsbuzz

Lots of feedback on Laremy Tunsil -- who, as colleague @ArmandoSalguero notes --- will start Fins career at guard: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/04/reaction-on-dolphins-first-round-pick-draft-nuggets-heat-um-football.html ...

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt 9h9 hours ago

Hamlet's step-dad killed Hamlet's father, married his mom and stole his kingdom and he was still better than Tunsil's.

Ian Fitzsimmons ‏@Ianfitzespn 10h10 hours ago

This shouldn't shock anyone but the Tunsil camp is telling teams that the step dad leaked the video of him from a few years ago.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/725865463696125952

Josina Anderson Verified account
‏@JosinaAnderson

Laremy Tunsil's stepfather to TMZ:  "I was a Red Cross volunteer of the year," Lindsey Miller said. "I would never do anything like this."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/726186888525139968

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 15h15 hours ago

Laremy Tunsil is here and ready to speak to the media. I can attest: He did have an allergic reaction. Saw it with my own two eyes.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Rzbakfromwaybak

We haven't heard too much from coach Freeze since the Tunsil interview ?  Word was, he left abruptly as soon as Tunsil dropped the bomb. Wonder if he headed back to their offices, to wipe the rest of the coaches computers clean & change all the passwords so they aren't hacked ? 

Hilliary's people failed on their attempt's to clean things up.  Hugh better..."chew up" all those e-mail's, etc....like a beaver grinds a tree.  ;)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/726898186112143360

QuoteOXFORD - Two images posted to former Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil's Instagram account Thursday alleged the first-round pick asked for money from a staff member while in college, and he admitted to receiving money from a coach after the Miami Dolphins chose him.

But Tunsil's attorney, Steve Farese, doesn't think the revelations of a possible NCAA violation after Ole Miss received a notice of allegations in January will be such a big deal.

"My information is that issue, in and of itself, has already been discussed previously with the NCAA and there was nothing to it," Farese said on Mad Dog Sports Radio on SiriusXM. "Once the truth comes out about that text, and I hate to make a pun, but the text is taken out of context. And once it is found out what this is all about, it will be much to do about nothing."

Ole Miss athletics spokesman declined to confirm whether the school has spoken with the NCAA about the alleged text messages, saying there was a process to go through.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on May 02, 2016, 04:31:28 pm
Lol.  Yep, just some monthly cash payments from the coaches for different stuff. Nothing to see here....move along.   :)
read the article, though. he clearly says otherwise...

'In the coming days, weeks and maybe even months, we'll find out what the NCAA thought about what happened Thursday night. Did it know? If not, it certainly does now (and Ole Miss' only statement on the matter suggests the NCAA did not). Is that enough to halt the current process with Ole Miss, start over and eventually amend the Notice of Allegations?'
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 18h18 hours ago

FWIW, FBI told us Friday and again today that it is not involved in the Laremy Tunsil matter and has not been approached by anyone involved.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/728254384279269377

QuoteHugh Freeze said the school has "made a lot of progress" in its investigation regarding alleged text messages between former offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil and assistant athletics director for football operations John Miller.

"We've obviously, since draft night, had some adversity around our place," Freeze said on the SEC teleconference Thursday. "I wanted to address that I know our administration has been aggressively working to reach a resolution on the matters involving Laremy.

"I've been told that we've made a lot of progress, but the facts are always more important than speed or our public response, which is difficult for me sometimes because I want to respond. But our administration will continue to work with all the parties to get the answers and reach a conclusion as soon as possible, which we're hopeful that's coming quickly."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/parrishalford/status/728259745207853056

QuoteOXFORD – Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze had no official statement to advance the Laremy Tunsil situation when speaking on the SEC football coaches media call today.

Freeze expressed confidence in what he said remains a "fact finding" period led by the school's administration.

He says he's not part of that process.

In the week since Tunsil's statements came to light, the school's only official response has been to say that it takes allegations seriously, is investigating and will cooperate with the SEC and NCAA moving forward.

"I'm trying to be patient, but that's difficult for me sometimes. I want to respond, but there's great wisdom in being patient and making sure you get the facts. We're still in that process," Freeze said.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/732315334099804164

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling May 16

I should say: From everyone I've spoken with, protective orders are common. Freeze and Luke asking for them aren't abnormal.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Steven Godfrey
‏@38Godfrey

Early impression is that Lindsey Miller alone swung the severity of the NCAA case dramatically

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 11m11 minutes ago

Read the NOA. Read the response. What's going to ultimately determine Ole Miss' fate is what happens next with Laremy Tunsil's texts.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 1h1 hour ago

Re: Laremy Tunsil Draft night info:  #OleMiss asked the COI to remove the hearing from this summer's docket till this review is completed.

jbcarol

Dustin Dopirak ‏@TennesseeBeat 55m55 minutes ago

Freeze said he can't discuss the Tunsil case in particular, but said that did put the story on a national scale.

Freeze said he can't comment on whether or not there are more charges to come.

Freeze: "I look forward to the finality of it."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/745025157857697792

QuoteTunsil, drafted 13th overall in the 2016 draft by the Miami Dolphins, told reporters in Miami that he plans on returning to Oxford, Miss., to train with Ole Miss strength and conditioning coach Paul Jackson.

This could allow Matt Wilson, the attorney for Tunsil's stepfather, to serve him with a lawsuit, according to The Clarion-Ledger's Daniel Paulling.

"At this point, we're evaluating our next step," Wilson said. "We attempted one particular means of process, and it was unsuccessful. We're going to pursue other avenues as quickly as possible."

Tunsil is being sued by his stepfather, Lindsey Miller, alleging assault and battery, defamation of character and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

With Tunsil returning to Mississippi, Wilson should have an easier chance to serve Tunsil with his lawsuit. The lawsuit was first filed on April 26, and Wilson has until Aug. 24 for the lawsuit to be served. Wilson also asked for extended depositions from Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze, along assistant coach Matt Luke and assistant athletic director of football operations John Miller. Freeze and company can be subpoenaed 30 days after Tunsil is served his lawsuit.

jbcarol

OXFORD - The attorney representing Lindsey Miller in his lawsuit against former Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil wants more time to serve process on Tunsil.

QuoteMatt Wilson filed a motion Friday in Lafayette County Circuit Court asking judge John Kelly Luther to grant a 120-day extension. Wilson currently has until Aug. 24 to deliver a copy of the lawsuit to Tunsil, which is 120 days after Wilson filed the lawsuit on April 26.

Wilson would have until Dec. 22 to serve process if the extension is granted. He also wrote in the motion that he would accept an extension "for what other period" is deemed appropriate.

The lawsuit alleges assault and battery, defamation of character and an intentional infliction of emotional distress following an incident last summer between Tunsil and Miller.

The first attempt to serve Tunsil the lawsuit failed after a mishap at the Miami Dolphins' training facility in Davie, Florida. Someone mailed a copy of the lawsuit on May 9 via restricted delivery, but someone apparently signed on behalf of Tunsil, leading Wilson to believe Tunsil was served.

Wilson also writes that Tunsil playing for the Dolphins makes serving him difficult, though Tunsil has said he would "probably" return to Oxford to work out until training camp.

Wilson is based in Lewisburg, Tennessee, about a four-hour drive from Oxford, but hiring a process server to deliver the lawsuit would likely cost less than $100.

"The Plaintiff will proceed with further attempts to serve Mr. Tunsil," the motion reads. "However, in view of the Defendant's newfound celebrity status and his obligations as a professional football player, it is believed that further attempts to affect service of process upon the Defendant may be problematic since his access to the public may be severely limited in the weeks to come as the NFL training camp and the 2016 season fast approach."

jbcarol

Laremy Tunsil's stepfather finally explains how the family received illegal benefits

QuoteLindsey Miller, the stepfather of former Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, said he has given interviews with the NCAA totaling more than 100 hours regarding illegal benefits given to his stepson and his family.

"Among the things Miller says he told the NCAA: Ole Miss had an intricate system in which the school arranged for Tunsil and his family through boosters to get loans, money and free lodging at hotels and residences around Oxford, Miss. He claims he told the NCAA of benefits that spanned nearly three years."

Tunsil's mother and Miller's now-estranged wife, Desiree Polingo, says no one at Ole Miss did anything wrong.

"(Miller) continued receiving his pension, child support and military benefits," Polingo said in a statement to SI through her lawyer. "Why he keeps telling people that Ole Miss promised us something or did something wrong is beyond me, and frankly makes me very angry."

Very angry indeed.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/752663247929675776

QuoteTunsil sent Hugh Freeze, his former Ole Miss head coach, a letter.

"His sincere love for me. That's probably all I should say," Freeze said on the contents of the letter.

Freeze was also asked about the tone of the letter. Freeze said it was a sweet tone and called Tunsil a "good kid with a good heart."

The Ole Miss coach also described what he told Tunsil after the draft night debacle in an interview with Marty Smith.

"When that first episode happened with Laremy, he's like your child," Freeze said. "When my child makes a mistake, I don't run from it. I don't hide from it. I certainly don't approve of the mistakes that were always made, but you're not going to stop loving them. So you go into, any coach goes into, the mode that I'm going to help this family through it. So that's really the mode I went into, is just trying to do anything I could to help them through that difficult time."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/753957808224079872

Quote"I would love for it to be sooner than later," Freeze said. "Nobody wants it to be over more than I do. I'm not crazy about the idea of it happening in the middle of the season for sure, but if it does, it does. We'll go argue our facts and side of things and then we'll be held accountable for the things that happened in or around our program.

"Obviously we can't discuss any ongoing matters. That's one of the frustrating things, but out of respect for the process, you can't do it. We can talk about our integrity, talk about our core values, but I'm not sure that's what the media wants to talk about."

Ole Miss received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Jan. 22, a document that levied 28 violations against the athletic department with 13 involving the football program. Nine were alleged to have occurred under Freeze and four under former coach Houston Nutt.

After the Miami Dolphins drafted him in April, former offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil said he received money from coaches during his time at Ole Miss, setting off another investigation.

Screenshots of an alleged conversation between Tunsil and assistant athletic director of football operations John Miller showed Tunsil asking for money and Miller telling Tunsil to see Barney, presumably a reference to assistant athletic director of junior college and high school relations Barney Farrar.

When asked if he expected he'd have to make staff changes because of the NCAA matter, Freeze said he didn't at the current time but will if the situation dictates it.

"My guys know the expectations," Freeze said. "One area that is not a temptation for me is to cut corners to have success. That doesn't interest me at all. Our staff knows that.

"We get to discuss (in the committee on infractions hearing) some of the things that led to that (the allegations) that are not quite as cut or dry in some peoples' eyes."

Freeze added he hopes Tunsil speaks to the NCAA about Tunsil's comments in April, saying "that would speak volumes if he does."

Freeze also said he's more focused on things he can control — he said Florida State's defensive line keeps him awake at night —

jbcarol

jbcarol