Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 SEC Players Potentially Entering the NBA

Started by jbcarol, June 25, 2015, 03:15:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

John Calipari Verified account
‏@UKCoachCalipari

With that being said, every player who is eligible for the draft, including our walk-ons, will submit their names for the NBA Draft ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 16h16 hours ago

All of this underscores that this NBA Draft process will be a total circus.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 4h4 hours ago

New NBA Mock Draft has Jamal Murray going #3: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/murray-at-no-3-in-espns-new-top-10-mock-draft/ ...

QuoteESPN's NBA draft analysts Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton put together for a mock draft of the top 10 picks. After Ben Simmons to the Lakers and Brandon Ingram to the Pelicans, Jamal Murray is the third player off the board...

Pelton: The Sixers got swap rights for 2016 and 2017 in their trade with the Kings last July. That pays off in this case, as it allows them to slide ahead of Sacramento in the lottery and get their choice of the second tier of prospects.

That's particularly important because it guarantees Philadelphia a shot at Murray, the best guard in the draft.

He would immediately be a huge upgrade on the 76ers' current backcourt options and provide an injection of needed playmaking with more upside than players like Ish Smith and Isaiah Canaan.

Skal Labissiere did not crack this mock's top 10...

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 13h13 hours ago

D.J. Hogg: The best NBA prospect on Texas A&M.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 44m44 minutes ago

Mike Brey, Roy Williams, Tom Crean Chime in On John Calipari, New NBA Draft Rules https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/mike-brey-roy-williams-tom-crean-chime-in-on-john-calipari-new-nba-draft-rules/168902192?tcid=tw_article_168902192 ...

Quote"About Cal," North Carolina coach Roy Williams said on the podium when I asked his thoughts. "Cal's funny. Cal is a buddy of mine, Jiminy Christmas, but he's out in left field sometimes. Get ready, he may say something else this afternoon that's going to shock everybody. But he's entitled to a great opinion, and I don't see that there's anything wrong with that.

"People say he only recruits a certain guy. He recruits the same guys I do. He just gets them, that kind of thing....I will really start getting worried if John applies for the draft himself. So as long as he doesn't do that, I'm okay."

"Putting his whole team in?" Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said of Calipari. "Well, he's not getting any pub here lately, because he's not playing. So he's doing anything to stay out there. They guy's a master. He's a master."

Asked about the new rules -- which allow players to work out for NBA teams or attend the Pre-Draft Combine and still return to campus if they don't hire an agent -- Brey had some more good stuff.

"I want to add to that, I'm going to put my name in, too. I'm going to go, too, and test the waters," he said.

Notre Dame point guard Demetrius Jackson is currently projected as the No. 11 pick on DraftExpress.com, and Brey thinks the new rules help a guy like Jackson.

"I think anything that allows them to make the best decision possible, to get the best level of exposure -- but it still comes down to this: There's still very little real, honest, truthful, unfiltered, non-agenda-driven feedback," Crean said. "And the whole key is to get that feedback, because so many mistakes are made because people get into the other part of it. And there's so many opinions and voices and everybody's got an idea on it but there's very, very few decision makers. And the trick is to really understand what the decision makers see, get your people to understand that -- which we've been pretty fortunate with that at Indiana -- and then build from there. But that's the most important thing. And I do love the new rules. And hopefully they're here to stay."

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 36m36 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

W/ Duke out, the highest projected guys on @DraftExpress still in NCAAs:

No. 9 - Buddy Hield
11- Demetrius Jackson
19 - Domantas Sabonis

jbcarol

Athlete Essentials ‏@AthEssentials 18h18 hours ago Kentucky, USA

It's official!  @AlexTheGreat22 is coming to your town!  Listen to KSR Tues at 11am for more dates  #The22Tour #BBN

Better get there early

jbcarol

jbcarol

The Advocate ‏@theadvocatebr 39m39 minutes ago

Update: @LSUBasketball's Johnny Jones confirms guard Tim Quarterman has left school, entering #NBADraft2016: http://ow.ly/100cWk

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 46m46 minutes ago

Vanderbilt's Wade Baldwin will declare for the 2016 NBA Draft and sign with an agent, sources told @CBSSports.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 3h3 hours ago

Vanderbilt's Damian Jones told @CBSSports he still hasn't made a decision yet on his plans for next year. Averaged 13.9 PPG and 6.9 RPG.

jbcarol

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 3h3 hours ago

For the record, general consensus here among the NBA folks is Ingram will be the No. 1 pick in June, fwiw

jbcarol

Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks 2h2 hours ago

I think if NBA undergrad projection says Damian only a fringe 1st round pick, he might return. Damian loves school

I think Wade is gone, but he's not in a hurry & he wants to do it right way. But I'm not speaking for him

jbcarol

Joe Garza ‏@JGuitarza 59m59 minutes ago

The real deal on Ben Simmons' potential shoe contract, from @NickDePaula on @TheVertical: http://yhoo.it/1RAi24a 

QuoteAfter leaving Nike-sponsored LSU to turn pro, Simmons officially announced last week that he had formalized a representation agreement with agent Rich Paul, whose path to becoming an NBA player agent was forged through his longtime relationship with fellow Cleveland-area native LeBron James. In his early 20s, Paul sold throwback jerseys of the then-St. Vincent-St. Mary's phenom before James leaped directly to the NBA as a teenager. Once James turned pro, they continued their relationship, with Paul eventually representing him as a junior agent at Creative Artists Agency under Leon Rose.

Simmons was recently in Cleveland, mapping out his pre-draft process. He is looking to sign his shoe deal before the June 23 Draft and preferably before May 17, when teams are slotted for the NBA draft lottery.

It's incredibly rare that an agent would have such overwhelming ties to one brand as Paul does with Nike. Nike sports marketing executive Lynn Merritt has an exceptionally close relationship with James and Paul. Many feel Merritt and James are looking to Simmons as a future all-around star who can carry the torch for Nike's LeBron shoe series when James' career is over. They are trying to recreate the way Michael Jordan handpicked a roster of guards during the latter stages of his career to lead his newly formed Jordan Brand. Simmons wore the Nike LeBron 13 shoe in custom colors at LSU.

Questions loom about Simmons' killer instinct, his true desire to be a franchise player and on a more fundamental level, his subpar shooting ability. Jonathan Givony of The Vertical and DraftExpress has been increasingly skeptical of Simmons' potential as the draft's No. 1 overall pick, preferring Duke's Brandon Ingram instead.

The idea that a sneaker brand will offer Simmons anywhere near $100 million is out of the question. A more realistic range is believed to be between what former top picks Andrew Wiggins (five years, $11 million with adidas) and John Wall (five years, $25 million with Reebok) each received on their rookie shoe deals. Both deals included several rollback and incentive clauses, which is the industry standard.

jbcarol

Note the Day:

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 18h18 hours ago

UK basketball announces 2 p.m. press conference tomorrow for a "special announcement." No further details.

For UK guys who know they're going, waiting to make that official costs them tens of thousands in the autograph tours.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 9m9 minutes ago

New Story || Jamal Murray announces he's off to the NBA, becoming Calipari's 17th one-and-done at UK: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2016/04/01/uk-freshman-jamal-murray-makes-nba-decision/82519056/ ...

Murray hasn't hired an agent yet, but "most likely" definite he's staying in the draft.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 57m57 minutes ago

LSU freshman guard Antonio Blakeney to test NBA Draft stock, will not hire agent http://sec.news/22W2JgQ

jbcarol

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 20h20 hours ago

Say what you want about Thon Maker, he's one of the most thoughtful and articulate guys you'll find. Terrific Q&A: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Thon-Maker-Exclusive-Post-NBA-Draft-Decision-Interview-5417 ...

Just got around some leeches

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 9m9 minutes ago

Kentucky's Skal Labissiere will enter the 2016 NBA Draft and sign with an agent, per release.

jbcarol

Tyler Thompson ‏@MrsTylerKSR 15h15 hours ago

UK will hold another "special announcement" press conference tomorrow at 2:30 p.m.

My guess: Ulis announces he's signing with an agent and will do a joint autograph tour with Murray and Skal.

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 14h14 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Tyler Thompson

People who think that's chump change for future pros are crazy. That trio would make mad money for scribbling names.

jbcarol

CJ Moore ‏@CJMooreBR 14h14 hours ago

There's a decent chance that Villanova doesn't have a 1st round pick on its roster. Last time that was case for a champ: 1963 Loyola.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 19h19 hours ago

Florida's Devin Robinson will enter the 2016 NBA Draft without an agent, sources told @CBSSports. Could return to school after combine.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 06, 2016, 08:47:03 am
VandyMBB ‏@VandyMBB 15h15 hours ago

Baldwin to enter NBA Draft - http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040516aaa.html ...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 15h15 hours ago

Jeff Goodman Retweeted VandyMBB

So talented -- but NBA teams have their concerns.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 36m36 minutes ago

Ulis' dad: "He believed more than anybody. There's a paper he wrote in second or third grade (and) said, 'I'm going to be an NBA player.' "

Tyler Ulis hiring an agent, leaving UK for the NBA

jbcarol

Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster Apr 6

Here is the complete list of kids that have entered the NBA Draft to date. Who'd we miss? http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/03/23/2016-nba-draft-early-entry-list-a-complete-list-of-whos-in-whos-out-and-who-has-an-agent/ ...

Jonny David, Mulder, Floreal?

QuoteSIGNED WITH AN AGENT

Wade Baldwin IV, Vanderbilt, So

Kareem Canty, Auburn, Jr: Canty left school in the middle of the season

Skal Labissiere, Kentucky, Fr: Smart move

Jamal Murray, Kentucky, Fr

Tim Quarterman, LSU, Jr

Ben Simmons, LSU, Fr: Simmons is projected as one of the top two picks

Tyler Ulis, Kentucky, So: In October, I would have said there was no way

TESTING THE WATERS FOR NOW

Antonio Blakeney, LSU, Fr

Damian Jones, Vanderbilt, Jr

Malik Newman, Mississippi State, Fr

Isaiah Briscoe, Kentucky, Fr

Dominique Hawkins, Kentucky, Fr

Marcus Lee, Kentucky, Jr

Charles Matthews, Kentucky, Fr

Derek Willis, Kentucky, So.

jbcarol

rickbozich ‏@rickbozich Apr 5

Any NBA general manager who takes Skal Labissiere in the first round better check the guaranteed years portion of his contract.

jbcarol

[urlhttp://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article70925632.html]Elusive targets for NBA Draft projections

Chad Ford on Labissiere: He's not a lock anywhere in the first round

Earliest a sub-6-foot player drafted in last 40 years? Muggsy Bogues, 12th pick in 1987
[/url]

QuoteTyler Ulis was the model of consistent excellence this past season. But his size complicates what otherwise would be an easy — and early — draft night decision. His 5-foot-9, 160-pound package gives NBA types pause.

And Skal Labissiere, the mildest of Wildcats this past season, is the wildest of wild cards.

Of the two ex-Cats, Ulis is viewed as the choice less likely to create second guessing. Ford called him the third-best point guard prospect behind Kris Dunn of Providence and UK teammate Jamal Murray...

Labissiere defies projection. His draft position may depend more on how he does in workouts for NBA teams and how he comes across in interviews.

"His range is a lot (wider) because he is going to be dependent on workouts and psychological tests," Ford said. "There are so many questions that NBA guys have about him that his stock can improve with really great workouts and if he can answer the questions in ways that teams like. But he can also bomb those just like he struggled this year for Kentucky."

From a purely basketball point of view, Ford said Labissiere made a mistake entering the NBA Draft. "He is so not ready," Ford said. And, the analyst added, the NBA Development League has a "mixed" record as a launching pad for long-lasting NBA careers.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 06, 2016, 06:59:11 am
Tyler Thompson ‏@MrsTylerKSR 15h15 hours ago

UK will hold another "special announcement" press conference tomorrow at 2:30 p.m.

My guess: Ulis announces he's signing with an agent and will do a joint autograph tour with Murray and Skal.

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 14h14 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Tyler Thompson

People who think that's chump change for future pros are crazy. That trio would make mad money for scribbling names.

https://twitter.com/Beisner_cn2/status/719665330889617409

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_CJ/status/720223687354556416

QuoteWith three final decisions made, freshman guard Isaiah Briscoe looks like the only remaining player on Kentucky's roster who might seriously flirt with leaving for the NBA draft. But barring a big jump in stock over the next six weeks, his pro prospects for 2016 aren't great.

"He's in a tough position because everyone is taking advantage of this rule to test the waters," ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford said. "It creates an incredibly crowded field for Briscoe. Every year, in a normal draft, there will be five, six bubble guys that will just go ahead and stick their necks out and take the chance, let the process play out and if they play great, there's a chance to move up dramatically in the draft.

"But the problem this year is there are so many players who fit that category. Virtually every decent freshman in the country has declared for the draft this year, and it's creating a really crowded environment. Given all the names I see out there right now, I don't see how Briscoe moves himself into first-round consideration."

Teammates Jamal Murray, Skal Labissiere and Tyler Ulis, all projected first-round picks, have announced plans to hire an agent and leave school. Briscoe hasn't said a word publicly about his plans, although coach John Calipari announced soon after the season that all of his eligible players would technically throw their names into the draft –

At the moment, Briscoe, a 6-foot-3 guard who started 33 times and averaged 9.6 points, 5.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists and a steal per game at Kentucky this season, is ranked 80th by DraftExpress.com and 84th by ESPN among eligible prospects for this year's draft. There will only be 60 players selected on June 23.

"He's probably going to be on the outside looking in," said Draft Express founder and Jonathan Givony, who is based in Briscoe's home state of New Jersey and has followed his career closely since high school. "If the deadline were today and he had to decide whether to withdraw his name and he called me and said, 'Jonathan, what should I do?' I would recommend going back to school. But the deadline isn't today, so he's got some time to go out and go do some workouts, go get some feedback, and see kind of what the professional teams think."

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago

Can't see these new NBA Draft rules staying the way they are. Expecting some of sort of modifications. All players can't go to the combine.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 6h6 hours ago

Calipari told Bob Valvano that Isaiah Briscoe and Marcus Lee would most likely try to go the NBA Combine w/o an agent.

jbcarol

NBA Draft Lottery isn't until May 17, but that hasn't stopped ESPN NBA guru Chad Ford from churning out mock drafts

QuoteHas Jamal Murray sneaking into the top three behind Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram:

3. Boston Celtics: Jamal Murray

14. Chicago Bulls: Tyler Ulis

16. Boston Celtics: Skal Labissiere

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/722119907018698752

QuoteSIGNED WITH AN AGENT
Wade Baldwin IV, Vanderbilt, So

Kareem Canty, Auburn, Jr

Damian Jones, Vanderbilt, Jr

Skal Labissiere, Kentucky, Fr

Jamal Murray, Kentucky, Fr

Tim Quarterman, LSU, Jr

Ben Simmons, LSU, Fr

Tyler Ulis, Kentucky, So

TESTING THE WATERS FOR NOW
Antonio Blakeney, LSU, Fr

Isaiah Briscoe, Kentucky, Fr

Dominique Hawkins, Kentucky, Fr

Moses Kingsley, Arkansas, Jr

Marcus Lee, Kentucky, Jr

Charles Matthews, Kentucky, Fr

Malik Newman, Mississippi State, Fr

Devin Robinson, Florida, So

Derek Willis, Kentucky, So.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/722780944009183233

Quote"I haven't hired an agent," the 6-foot-9 junior forward told ESPN. "Because I want to keep my eligibility just in case I decide to come back, but my plan is to go to the NBA. That's the only goal."

Kentucky coach John Calipari announced that all draft-eligible players on his roster -- including walk-on players -- would declare for the NBA draft and take advantage of the new rule that allows underclassmen to declare without hiring an agent, go through the process and still withdraw 10 days after the NBA combine in mid-May.

"I want people to know I am serious about this," Lee added. "I've talked to Coach Cal about this, and he definitely understands that I'm going to the NBA this year."

Lee averaged 6.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game this past season in his first season of getting meaningful minutes since arriving at Kentucky in 2013.

"I did what my team needed me to do," Lee said of his role this past season. "I had to do the little things like rebound and block shots."

Lee came out of high school in California as a highly touted player, but told ESPN that he hasn't gotten an opportunity to show what he can do -- especially on the offensive end of the floor.

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 2h2 hours ago

Biggest sign for me that Marcus Lee is not coming back...he agreed to an interview with Jeff Goodman

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/722830410615496704

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 47m47 minutes ago

Robinson undergoes foot surgery - http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13449/robinson-undergoes-foot-surgery/ ...

QuoteFlorida forward Devin Robinson underwent successful surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot.

The 6-foot-9 Robinson will undergo a 4-6 month rehabilitation period, which should have him ready by the start of his junior season if he opts to return to UF.

It's unclear at this point how Robinson's injury will result in his decision whether or not to return to school. Robinson put his name in the NBA draft three weeks ago without an agent...

jbcarol

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Last year 48 college underclassmen declared for the draft. This year, with 2 days to go before the deadline, we're up to 80.

jbcarol

CBS Sports: 20 players in the 2016 NBA Draft who would be smart to return to college

QuoteIsaiah Briscoe | Kentucky | PG/SG | Fr.
New Jersey native did a tremendous job at changing his body when he arrived in Lexington and that allowed him to become a terrific perimeter defender as a freshman. Now it's time for Briscoe to improve his offense. The 6-3 guard shot just 5-of-37 from 3...

Marcus Lee | Kentucky | PF | Jr.
A former McDonald's All-American, Lee finally saw regular minutes for the first time his college career last season and did a very solid job inside for the Wildcats. But that doesn't mean he's even close to being ready to play in the NBA...

jbcarol

jbcarol

With the news that Ivan Rabb will return to Cal for a sophomore season, ESPN's Chad Ford had to replace Rabb at the No. 11 spot in his mock draft. He did so by moving Skal Labissiere up to Rabb's place, bumping Labissiere up five spots into the lottery (and past Tyler Ulis) from No. 16.

Quote11. Orlando Magic

Skal Labissiere
    Kentucky
    Freshman
    Forward/center

It's tough to know where exactly to slot Labissiere, but with Myles Turner playing a big role in the playoffs after scouts feared he'd take years to develop, teams might be less risk averse to select him than in years past.

Labissiere gives the Magic something they've lacked for a while — a rim protector. He is a terrific shot-blocker and has the ability to stretch the floor. He'd be perfect next to Nikola Vucevic, but the Magic are going to have to be patient. He lacks strength, confidence and experience. But he might just be too good to pass up here.

Ford has Jamal Murray going third to Boston and Tyler Ulis at No. 14 to Chicago, which would make three lottery picks for Kentucky in this summer's draft.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 4h4 hours ago

Only 29 days until we find out who is actually staying in the 2016 NBA Draft.....#countdown

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  19m19 minutes ago
Just got the official NBA early entry list:

And no, John Calipari didn't have every Kentucky guy put its name in: The UK guys on the list are Murray, Ulis, Skal, Lee and Briscoe.

LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney's name is on the official NBA early entry list.

Few more interesting names on the list: Rasheed Jordan, Walter Pitchfork, Negus Webster-Chan, Terry Whisnant.

Florida's Devin Robinson is not on the list — which means he will be coming back to Gainesville.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  9s9 seconds ago
NBA Early Entrant List.  Remember, those who haven't signed with agent can withdraw by May 25: http://pr.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2016/04/2016-Early-Entry-Candidates-4-26-16.pdf ...

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 9h9 hours ago

So, Antonio Blakeney -- according to LSU -- will not go through the process despite the fact his name is on the NBA early entry list.

Johnny Jones on Blakeney: "Just a case of formality of the paperwork not reaching the NBA Office prior to the preparation of the list."