Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 NFL Draft Watch - SEC Players

Started by jbcarol, June 24, 2015, 06:29:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

SEC Football ‏@SECfootball 13h13 hours ago

NFL analyst explains why former Arkansas QB Brandon Allen could be draft steal http://sds.to/1QBYfTu

QuoteHis play certainly caught the attention of NFL analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who spoke in detail about what Allen showed with the Razorbacks.

Jeremiah was asked who the best quarterback not named Jared Goff or Carson Wentz will be in this year's NFL Draft, and he gave the nod to Allen.

"He has some games where you see him work quickly through progressions, make NFL reads, NFL throws. He's got great feet inside the pocket, and I like the fact that he's been through some adversity in his career and he's come out the other side of it."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 2m2 minutes ago

Report: Alabama DB Bradley Sylve suffers torn achilles before Pro Day http://sec.news/1TLq2oQ

QuoteMatt Zenitz reports that Sylve was "simply warming up when the injury happened."

The reserve defensive back and kick-coverage ace was one of only four players who received Special Teams Player of the Year honors at the team banquet in December, and his 40-yard dash time (4.38 at last year's Pro Day) figured to be one of the main attractions on Thursday.

Fans can keep up with the action on SEC Network from noon ET to 3 p.m. ET.

jbcarol

Coach Saban on Jake Coker not getting invited to the NFL scouting combine...

Quote"I think Jake didn't get invited to Indy because 97 juniors went out. And I think that's a whole other conversation ... They should've stayed in school and developed. But because the NFL wants to see guys that they don't know much about, guys like Jake Coker don't get to go to the combine. I think that's very, very unfortunate, and I think for the number of players that we've had play here and play in the NFL, Jake Coker should've been invited to the combine ... He's got a great arm and can make all of the throws, and for his size, he's very athletic, and I think a lot of people are going to like that."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 3h3 hours ago

Alabama's Robinson vying to be the ultimate gem of a D-tackle draft class for the ages http://sec.news/1Rc8ICy

QuoteAlabama defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson came to Tuscaloosa hoping his days would be planned to the second; and he joined the Crimson Tide program, wanting to fall in love with two words that have become synonymous with head coach Nick Saban:

The Process.

"When you come to Alabama, coming here, it's the process, Coach Saban's process," says Robinson, an All-American talent who's vying to become the first defensive tackle taken in the upcoming NFL draft.

"You know you've got to work day-in and day-out, there's nothing given to you. It's a grind, like night and day ... so, there's no opportunity to stop grinding, doing things, like going to the beach. You've just got to work out.

"(And) until the day I stop playing football, it's a grind."

The above quote would have served as catnip to the legion of scouts, coaches and NFL personnel attending Alabama's Pro Day earlier in the week.

jbcarol

NFL teams will undoubtedly attach 'red-flag' status to Dak Prescott, in lieu of DUI arrest

QuoteRight now, inside the NFL's draft war rooms, at least one team has removed Prescott from consideration.

It's the cold reality of this high-stakes, billion-dollar enterprise.

In the long term, Prescott's DUI arrest from Saturday (in Starkville, Miss.) can be easily forgiven by NFL decision-makers, assuming the young man owns up to and learns from his mistake.

In the short term, though, the arrest puts a tremendous burden on the NFL teams that covet Prescott (9,376 career passing yards, 111 total TDs) as a Round 3 or 4 prospect.

Yes, NFL general managers understand how nobody's perfect, especially with college-aged kids. But they're also paid to make franchise-altering decisions about personnel; and this pressure goes up another notch with quarterbacks.

As such, in the aforementioned war rooms, the GMs are sitting down with their scouts, coaches, executives and cross-checkers with just one question in mind:

Can anyone make a case for keeping Dak Prescott on our draft board?

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 15h15 hours ago

According to http://nfl.com , the "recent best" 40 for a LB at NFL combine was Jon Alston's 4.4 in 06.

Deion Jones today: 4.38
#LSU

jbcarol

jbcarol

Here are four, and only four, recently former SEC players who have seen their NFL draft stock fall since season's end:

QuoteChris Jones, DL — Mississippi State Bulldogs
It wasn't bad enough that Jones had to endure the embarrassment of his junk falling out during the 40-yard dash (which did not affect his draft stock), but now he's in real trouble.

Jones was stopped by Mississippi State University police Wednesday for speeding and then arrested for driving with a suspended license...

Demarcus Robinson, WR — Florida Gators
...so many off-the-field incidents that landed him in hot water while in Gainesville. Then take into account that he had bad interviews with at least two teams at the combine...

A'Shawn Robinson, DT — Alabama Crimson Tide

Dak Prescott, QB — Mississippi State Bulldogs
Rule No. 1 in pre-draft preparations: Do not get into trouble.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 2h2 hours ago

Mississippi State discus thrower Tautvydas Kieras making waves ... as a 'freak' NFL prospect http://sec.news/1RrEXhc

QuoteAt Mississippi State's recent pro day, the Lithuania native aced every physical test, reportedly running a blistering 4.69 in the 40-yard dash, posting 24 reps on the bench press (225 pounds) and notching team-high tallies with vertical leap (35 inches) and broad jump (116 inches).

Kieras, who inked a free-agent deal with the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday, has been a "standout" on Mississippi State's track and field team, as the school record-holder in the discus.

In fact, he's never played a down of football in his young life.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 15h15 hours ago

Former #Auburn LBs Cassanova McKinzy, Kris Frost coping with injuries while trying to make it in the NFL: http://ow.ly/ZIVXd

QuoteThough they both avoided significant injuries during their Auburn careers both Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost have coped with a variety of ailments as they vie for opportunities in the NFL.

Both multi-year starting linebackers skipped some of the physical drills at last month's NFL Combine, with McKinzy only performing the bench press due to a minor hamstring injury coupled with the sprained right medial collateral ligament he suffered during the Birmingham Bowl, and were still nursing their injuries during Auburn's Pro Day last week.

"I fought through a lot of pain and that was my biggest obstacle coming in," McKinzy said. "I just wanted to fight and show there's not a lot that could keep me down. ... It's not so much the pain, just when the pain comes, depending on what I'm doing, it's a sharp pain – a pinpointer."

Frost, who had 96 tackles with three for loss and two interceptions last season, did not have particularly strong numbers among linebackers at the Combine. He attributed his results to a hamstring injury he suffered while running the 40-yard dash, where his time of 4.97 seconds ranked 30th among 31 linebackers to run at the Combine.

"It kind of affected me throughout," Frost said. "Coming here (for Pro Day) felt like I was loose. I felt like I was exploding off the ball well."

jbcarol

Cornerback Brian Poole was Florida's only projected draft pick not to receive an invite to the NFL combine.

But for the 32 league teams who didn't see him there, he got their attention Tuesday at Florida's Pro Day.

QuoteVernon Hargreaves III, who also performed well at Florida's Pro Day, said Poole remained confident in his abilities through the ordeal.

"Him not coming to the combine kind of surprised me," Hargreaves said. "But he's a level-headed kid. Talking to him about it, he didn't let it faze him, didn't let it affect him. He came out here, he worked hard and he busted his ass. I think the rest is going to play out really good for him."

jbcarol

Todd McShay ‏@McShay13 5h5 hours ago

Mock IV. Two rounds. http://es.pn/1WL2Jt1 {Insider}

Quote1. Tennessee Titans

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi

The Titans have made it clear they're open to trading the No. 1 overall pick, but general manager Jon Robinson also emphasized last week they would need a substantial offer to do so. If they keep the pick, I could see them going in one of three directions: pass-rusher (Joey Bosa is the most obvious candidate), defensive back (Jalen Ramsey) or left tackle (Tunsil). I'll stick with Tunsil for now. He's the most talented offensive lineman in the draft, and it's a clear need for the Titans, who have to protect the QB better this season after they allowed 54 sacks total in 2015.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports Mar 24

Jake Coker will have another chance to prove himself to NFL scouts: http://ow.ly/ZU0p1 

QuoteJake Coker will participate in South Alabama's Pro Day in Mobile on Monday, AL.com has confirmed.

Coker, a Mobile native, has been working out in his hometown since leading the Crimson Tide to the national championship in January. He has trained for many years under David Morris, the former Ole Miss quarterback who runs QB Country...

Both Morris and South Alabama coach Joey Jones confirmed that Coker will throw for NFL scouts on Monday. Jones said Coker's camp reached out to him, and he agreed to allow Coker to participate.

"I've known Jake over the years," Jones said. "It's not something I'd have any hesitation about at all."

Coker played in the Senior Bowl in Mobile in late January, and also participated in Alabama's Pro Day on March 9. However, he was famously not among 18 quarterbacks invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in February, a snub that left him, in his words, "pissed off."

It's not unprecedented for a player to participate in another school's Pro Day, though in most such cases it is a small school player trying to catch the eyes of scouts at a large school's Pro Day.

Coker passed for 3,110 yards and 21 touchdowns in leading Alabama to a 14-1 record and its 16th national championship last year. Various pre-draft projections have him being selected anywhere from the middle rounds to not being drafted at all.

jbcarol

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 38m38 minutes ago

.@MikeMayock on what Ole Miss tackle Laremy Tunsil needs to do at his pro day to go No. 1 overall (assuming no trade): "Not get hurt."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 11h11 hours ago

NFL scout on former Arkansas TE Hunter Henry: 'He's the most complete tight end to come out in years' http://sec.news/22IRsQZ

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 5h5 hours ago

An NFL team asked former #LSU DB Jalen Mills whether he'd use a gun or knife to kill a guy ...

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/03/lsu-safety-jalen-mills-asked-nfl-team-whether-preferred-kill-knife-gun/ ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt Apr 2

NFL Network analysts believe in Leonard Floyd's upside as a pro prospect: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/uga-football/article69617247.html ...

QuoteNFL Network draft analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis are confident in former Georgia outside linebacker Leonard Floyd's upside at the next level.

Floyd ran a 4.60 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine but was unable to finish his pro day workout after experience a stomach-related issue.

Davis said he likes Floyd, who is up to 6-foot-6 and 248 pounds, as a pro prospect because of his talent level and potential to get stronger and more physical.

"He's a guy that's elusive off the edge," Davis said. "And you can see that on tape. I just actually watched it again two days ago. He's up field, he flashes inside."

Davis put Floyd at No. 20 overall to the New York Jets in his most recent mock draft.

"Someone off the edge, that's something that they're sorely needing, I believe, and that's one of the reasons I mocked him there," Davis said. "Who knows if I'll leave him there. In my next two or three mocks, he might have to go."

Jeremiah, as does ESPN's Mel Kiper, has Floyd going No. 11 overall to the Chicago Bears.

jbcarol

Latest SEC Country NFL mock draft: Defense in demand 

Quote1. Tennessee Titans: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
To me, this one is a lock

10. New York Giants: Leonard Floyd, LB, Georgia

12. New Orleans Saints: Chris Jones, DL, Mississippi State

14. Oakland Raiders: Keanu Neal, S, Florida

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/emilymkaplan/status/717343928408735744

QuoteIt's been seven years since Gruden last paced an NFL sideline, 13 since he won a Super Bowl and 15 since he was among People magazine's Most Beautiful. And yet... his celebrity is arguably as strong as ever. Broadcasting in ESPN's Monday Night Football booth with Mike Tirico, the 52-year-old Gruden averages a dozen Vine-ready soundbites by halftime. But it's his offseason miniseries, "Gruden QB Camp," that nurtures his cultish popularity.

Gruden wears his heart on his sleeve, and also his title. The FFCA stitched on the polo he wears for the show stands for the Fired Football Coaches Association, which, believe it or not, is a real thing. "When Jon was fired by the Bucs in 2009, he was crushed," says Mark Arteaga, Gruden's close friend and member of his staff in Oakland and Tampa. "Devastated. It was the first time anyone on our staff had been fired, and we didn't know what to do with ourselves." And so for three days a week, at 6 a.m., the staff assembled in a borrowed office at the St. Pete Times Forum, where Gruden would lead mock-coaches meetings. Part of it was that Gruden didn't know what else to do with his time; part of it was so that the staff could stay fresh if they were ever given another opportunity.

The group jokingly called itself the Fired Football Coaches Association...

"Jon is an ambassador for the game," says Tennessee coach Butch Jones, whose staff has visited Gruden at least twice over the past two years.

"He's just as curious about things we're doing as we are in picking his brain," adds Vols offensive coordinator Mike DeBord, who said the staff had specific areas they wanted to address with Gruden upon their last visit, including play-action and use of timeouts. "It's definitely safe to say there's a few things we learned with Gruden that we added to our playbook in 2015."

No NFL firing and hiring cycle goes by without Gruden's name surfacing...

jbcarol

Ben Garrett ‏@SpiritBen Apr 6

Ben Garrett Retweeted Mel Kiper Jr.

Tunsil No. 1 to the Titans, Treadwell No. 16 to the Lions, Nkemdiche not in the first round.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 17m17 minutes ago

4 SEC players visit with Cowboys in last three days http://sec.news/23fzSUN

QuoteCowboys brought in 22 draft prospects for visits over a three-day span and four SEC players were in the group...

Kenyan Drake and Derrick Henry, Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves and Ole Miss wide receiver Laquon Treadwell were all part of the large group...

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 2m2 minutes ago

The newest @USATODAYsports mock draft looks at the fallout if the Titans trade the No. 1 overall pick. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/11/mock-draft-trades-titans-49ers-browns-rams-carson-wentz-jared-goff/82735430 ...

Quote1. (PROPOSED TRADE) San Francisco 49ers (from Tennessee Titans) – Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota Stat

3. San Diego Chargers – Laremy Tunsil, T, Mississippi: If he actually fell into the Bolts' laps...

4. Dallas Cowboys – Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

10. New York Giants – Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida: The league's worst pass defense added CB Janoris Jenkins in free agency but...

12. New Orleans Saints – Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/719943759883014144

QuoteSurgery to repair a tear in the medial collateral ligament in his right knee in the offseason, however, has hurt his progress and ability to test for NFL teams interested in his services leading up to the draft later this month (April 28).

Coleman has slipped into the middle of the third round of ESPN's Todd McShay latest  NFL Mock Draft...

"He's as raw as can be, man," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said at the NFL Combine in February. "He needs snaps, he needs reps. He's a big, long kid with gifted feet, but he's going to struggle Year 1, I think."

Coleman is looked at in the same light after spending several years battling and recuperating from acute lymphoblastic leukemia, a triumphant story of will, before making his debut with the Tigers in 2013.

5-star in the 2010 class

jbcarol

Randall Liu
‏@RLiuNFL

Here are the 25 prospects confirmed to attend the 2016 NFL Draft:

jbcarol

Kenyan Drake has been steadily gathering momentum among NFL scouts and personnel execs in recent weeks.

QuoteMcShay then doubled down on the open-ended praise, saying "there's a chance" Drake could be drafted ahead of Crimson Tide teammate Derrick Henry.

If Drake (6-foot-1, 210 pounds) had chosen Texas, Iowa, Arizona, Mississippi State, Michigan State or North Carolina for his college career, sidestepping the backup status at Alabama, we might be talking about an easy gamble for Round 1.

jbcarol

A lot has changed since my last mock draft in March. The Rams now own the top pick...

Quote6. Baltimore (5-11): Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss, Jr.
Tunsil's got all the goods, but could trickle down in the draft because of other teams' needs.

9. Tampa Bay (6-10): Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida, Jr.

10. New York Giants (6-10): Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia, Jr.

17. Atlanta (8-8): Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama, Sr.

26. Seattle (10-6): Ryan Kelly, C/G, Alabama, Sr.

29. Arizona (13-3): Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss, Jr.

30. Carolina (15-1): LaQuon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss, Jr.

ROUND 2

32. Cleveland: Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State, Jr.

33. Tennessee: Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama, Sr.

35. San Diego: Keanu Neal, S, Florida, Jr.

36. Baltimore: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama, Jr.

47. New Orleans: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas, Jr.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/722501673982234625

Quote"Since we didn't have TVs, we didn't know anything about professional football," Treadwell wrote. "We didn't get hyped up for Sundays. We didn't dream of playing in the NFL. We didn't have idols we pretended to be when we were on the field. All we knew was that we loved playing the game — in the street, at the park, anywhere. It didn't matter. We were always playing.

"That's when I fell in love with football....

"That season, at 10 years old, I got my first taste of what real football was like. But I also got my first taste of what it felt like to win. My team went undefeated and we won the Park District Super Bowl.

"I had already fallen in love with football.

"But that's when I fell in love with winning..."

Valid response to possible questions during the interview process.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/723167414628671488

Quote3. San Diego Chargers – Laremy Tunsil, T, Mississippi

7. San Francisco 49ers – Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi

13. Dolphins (from Eagles) – Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

14. Oakland Raiders – Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

18. Indianapolis Colts – Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

26. Seattle Seahawks – Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

27. Green Bay Packers – Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama

28. Kansas City Chiefs – A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

29. Arizona Cardinals – Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Mississippi

jbcarol

April 23, 2016, 09:53:52 am #181 Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:58:43 am by jbcarol
SportSourceAnalytics ‏@SportSourceA 7h7 hours ago

A geographic look at first round draft picks over the last decade.

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog Apr 24

How might things shake out in the NFL Draft for former Auburn players? @dpbrugler of CBS Sports weighs in

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/draft-prospects-limited-for-former-auburn-players/article_997c1824-099e-11e6-8594-130e41eb0485.html

QuoteA year removed from having five players drafted — only two of them in the top 100 selected — and two years removed from having two first-round selections, Auburn again faces another shallow class of NFL prospects.

According to projections by CBS Sports' NFLDraftScout.com, Auburn is expected to have four players selected in this week's NFL Draft, with only one projected to go in the first three rounds — and several fringe prospects who may or may not hear their names called altogether.

Offensive tackle Shon Coleman should be the first Tiger to hear his name called this week, with the 6-foot-5, 307-pounder expected to be selected in the second or third round.

"He is going to be a 25-year-old rookie; he'll turn 25 during the season and that's obviously not ideal for a player who is still raw in some areas. That could hurt him more that the fact that he's working through a minor knee thing."

After Coleman, defensive back Jonathan Jones should be the second Auburn players to hear his name called. Brugler doesn't see Jones as a top-100 selection, but he does see the 5-9, 186-pounder going in the fourth or fifth round. Jones' diminutive size is likely to "limit his ceiling" at the next level, but the talented defensive back bolstered his value with strong showings at the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine — where he ran a 4.33-second 40-yard dash with a 1.47-second, 10-yard split — and Auburn's Pro Day.

Offensive lineman Avery Young is also expected to go in the fifth round on Day 3 of the draft. Young appeared in 37 games during his Auburn career, including 36 starts with experience all across the offensive line. He was the team's starting right tackle last season but also has experience at both guard spots and has taken reps at center.

That versatility, paired with an overall weak offensive tackle class this year, will benefit Young...

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 11m11 minutes ago

In this year's #NFLDraft, the #SEC could produce the first pick at four different positions: http://ow.ly/4n73jn

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 18h18 hours ago

Ross Dellenger Retweeted Pick Six Previews

#LSU expected to go 0-for in 1st round for consecutive yrs for 1st time since 02-03. (after La'el slipped last year)

Pick Six Previews@PickSixPreviews

Most 1st Round Draft Picks since 2000:
28- Miami
21- FSU
20- USC
19- Alabama, Ohio State
18- Florida
16- Texas
15- LSU
14- UGA, Tennessee

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 1h1 hour ago

Curious to see how high Tunsil goes. The SEC has an amazing streak going, producing a top 5 pick every yr starting in 2007. May end tonight.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Garrett ‏@SpiritBen 8h8 hours ago

With the selection of Robert Nkemdiche, #OleMiss had three first round NFL Draft picks for the first time in school history.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 11h11 hours ago

#TAMU OL Germain Ifedi to Seahawks.. huge, really intelligent guy.. becomes 8th SEC player to go 1st RD.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 14h14 hours ago

Jalen Ramsey goes No. 5 meaning the SEC's streak of producing a Top 5 overall pick that started back in 2007 has been snapped.

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 10h10 hours ago

Most Draft Picks thru 3 Rounds:

Alabama: 7
Florida: 3
Ole Miss: 3
Georgia: 2
Mississippi State: 2
Texas A&M: 2
Arkansas: 1
LSU: 1
Auburn: 1

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 11h11 hours ago Bryan, TX

The Anti-Laremy? Brandon Williams tells Cards beat writers he watched draft in A&M locker room "because I don't have cable at my house."

Neat story: On advice of A&M coaches Brandon Williams switches from skinny RB to swift CB, in 1 season turns into 3rd round pick (Arizona).

jbcarol

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 5h5 hours ago

By school:
Ohio St: 12
Clemson: 9
UCLA: 8
'Bama: 7
Fla.: 7
ND: 7
Baylor: 6
Ark, UGA, LSU, Mich St, Ole Miss, Penn St, TCU, Stanford, WVU: 5

jbcarol

WholeHogSports ‏@wholehogsports 3h3 hours ago

A list of former Arkansas football players who have agreed to undrafted free agent agreements http://www.wholehogsports.com/2016-undrafted

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 5h5 hours ago

AM | An analysis of #LSU's 2016 draft. It was weird and wild.

http://bit.ly/23gHTDM