Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Chaney/Lane Kiffin

Started by RazorbacksFan, December 12, 2014, 02:08:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorbacksFan

Nearly every analyst in the last week has described how influential Lane Kiffin was this year to Alabama being in the playoff, especially given that Alabama's defensive prowess decreased a bit from previous years.

When Lane Kiffin hired Jim Chaney, I assume it was because there were similarities in their offensive style and play-calling or appreciation of Jim Chaney's QB coaching.

For those who know more than me:
When at its most efficient, is Arkansas' offense with Jim Chaney supposed to look similar to Alabama's new offense this year? I know both head coaches would like to run more, but are the coordinators still more the same than different in the future direction of the offense?

jm

Quote from: RazorbacksFan on December 12, 2014, 02:08:00 pm
Nearly every analyst in the last week has described how influential Lane Kiffin was this year to Alabama being in the playoff, especially given that Alabama's defensive prowess decreased a bit from previous years.

When Lane Kiffin hired Jim Chaney, I assume it was because there were similarities in their offensive style and play-calling or appreciation of Jim Chaney's QB coaching.

For those who know more than me:
When at its most efficient, is Arkansas' offense with Jim Chaney supposed to look similar to Alabama's new offense this year? I know both head coaches would like to run more, but are the coordinators still more the same than different in the future direction of the offense?

When we get Cooper to play the wideout position.

26.2Hog

Actually, Kiffin cloned much of Auburn's offense for the SEC Championship game.  They ran a lot of option out of the two-back shotgun set. An astute adjustment by Kiffin.

Chaney has certainly done nothing like that.

code red

Quote from: jm on December 12, 2014, 02:15:09 pm

Tru dat....we got to recruit.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Fayettechill14

Amari Cooper

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 12, 2014, 02:20:04 pm
Actually, Kiffin cloned much of Auburn's offense for the SEC Championship game.  They ran a lot of option out of the two-back shotgun set. An astute adjustment by Kiffin.

Need a mobile quarterback for that.

*Cue cries for Rafe Peavey*

But he has to be a good passer, too...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 12, 2014, 02:20:04 pm

You want to run the option with BA? I did notice Bama ran several tosses to the short side of the field which was a sore topic here.

Anyway, yes the pro style sets they run is what Chaney wants to do.

26.2Hog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 12, 2014, 02:25:42 pm
You want to run the option with BA?

Didn't say I wanted to run the option with BA.

Just making the point that Alabama has gotten away from the Alabama pro sets and Chaney has not.  Most of what Bama ran in the last game was not their old pro set stuff.

They have adjusted, and their offense is better.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 12, 2014, 02:35:44 pm
Didn't say I wanted to run the option with BA.

Just making the point that Alabama has gotten away from the Alabama pro sets and Chaney has not.  Most of what Bama ran in the last game was not their old pro set stuff.

They have adjusted, and their offense is better.

You don't think we're adjusting to the talent as well?

26.2Hog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 02:37:36 pm
You don't think we're adjusting to the talent as well?

Other than a few cute, tricky type plays, I don't think we've adjusted much.

The main adjustments are coming in recruiting, acquiring the players to run what the coaches like to run.

Not complaining. Just observing.

Melorock089

Chaney has never coached QB's before coming here if I remember correctly.

Piggfoot

At what point will hogville posters quit making asinine comparisons.
Kiffin is supposed to have better numbers, he has better numbers. Did Chaney have Alabama receivers? No. Did Cheney have Alabama running backs? No.
I don't want this to sound like I am harping on our running backs. I'm not. Our overall offensive talent was not equal to Alabama. It is amazing how childish
some comparisons and questions can be. Reminds me of my kids starting on a road trip.
Before getting out of town, " Daddy are we there yet?"
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 12, 2014, 02:25:42 pm
You want to run the option with BA? I did notice Bama ran several tosses to the short side of the field which was a sore topic here.

Define pro style sets.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Fayettechill14

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 12, 2014, 02:45:41 pm
Other than a few cute, tricky type plays, I don't think we've adjusted much.

The main adjustments are coming in recruiting, acquiring the players to run what the coaches like to run.

Not complaining. Just observing.

I think most folks don't notice subtle changes. They only notice major ones.

-BA throws well outside the pocket, so our ratio of pass attempts from outside the pocket (bootlegs, rollouts, etc.) has gone up significantly over the last few weeks.

-The "tight end delay" pass was instituted for the LSU game and run once for a 20-yard gain against Ole Miss before Derby got hurt.

-More of Henry's routes have been crossers as opposed to the TE option (read-out) that we had been using him for during much of his career.

-Since no other receiver besides Hatcher has stepped up, we've been splitting Henry out more on 3rd downs and moving Hatcher around quite a bit more. That's a key change over stubbornly trotting an ineffective 2nd WR out there.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 02:58:15 pm
I think most folks don't notice subtle changes. They only notice major ones.

-BA throws well outside the pocket, so our ratio of pass attempts from outside the pocket (bootlegs, rollouts, etc.) has gone up significantly over the last few weeks.

-The "tight end delay" pass was instituted for the LSU game and run once for a 20-yard gain against Ole Miss before Derby got hurt.

-More of Henry's routes have been crossers as opposed to the TE option (read-out) that we had been using him for during much of his career.

-Since no other receiver besides Hatcher has stepped up, we've been splitting Henry out more on 3rd downs and moving Hatcher around quite a bit more. That's a key change over stubbornly trotting an ineffective 2nd WR out there.

That's good stuff, and some nice adjustments in the passing game.

Thanks for bringing that to light.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jm on December 12, 2014, 02:15:09 pm

Not just cooper.  I thought their other WR's weren't bad either.

But IMO especially Sims at QB.  His excellent, consistent deep ball gives Kiffin a ton of options.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Fayettechill14

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 12, 2014, 03:04:47 pm
Not just cooper.  I thought their other WR's weren't bad either.

But IMO especially Sims at QB.  His excellent, consistent deep ball gives Kiffin a ton of options.

Yeah he does have a pretty deep ball. And that's something BA doesn't have (although a deep threat like Cooper isn't helping him). I think BA takes better care of the ball, but Sims can go deep.

gmarv

that is good stuff but whats the old saying who are you gonna believe. the so called experts on hogville or your lying eyes?

RazorbacksFan

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 12, 2014, 02:52:29 pm
At what point will hogville posters quit making asinine comparisons.
Kiffin is supposed to have better numbers, he has better numbers. Did Chaney have Alabama receivers? No. Did Cheney have Alabama running backs? No.
I don't want this to sound like I am harping on our running backs. I'm not. Our overall offensive talent was not equal to Alabama. It is amazing how childish
some comparisons and questions can be. Reminds me of my kids starting on a road trip.
Before getting out of town, " Daddy are we there yet?"

Sorry for the confusion: I wasn't making comparisons about recruited talent, production, or success. Obviously, Arkansas is on the way up. I was just asking a reasonable question about whether their styles of offense will look alike when each team is performing as they hope. I thought it was reasonable because of their previous work together.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Melorock089 on December 12, 2014, 02:46:34 pm
Chaney has never coached QB's before coming here if I remember correctly.

He coached QBs only one season prior to coming here. (His last season at UT)

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 03:07:54 pm
Yeah he does have a pretty deep ball. And that's something BA doesn't have (although a deep threat like Cooper isn't helping him). I think BA takes better care of the ball, but Sims can go deep.

as the season progressed sims got much better, and their OL adjusted and improved through the year in tandem.  somewhere along the latter middle of the season, bama changed dramatically in execution.

i'm proud of our defense in the bama game. i think it was our best performance overall.  but i think that bama was a different team offensively in the last several games.  they really clicked.
The rest of the frog.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 03:07:54 pm
the real reason we have no deep threat. BA's deep ball is inaccurate and doesn't arrive quickly. (ex : last play of Bama game- 1 of many such under or over throws).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 12, 2014, 04:33:43 pm
the real reason we have no deep threat. BA's deep ball is inaccurate and doesn't arrive quickly. (ex : last play of Bama game- 1 of many such under or over throws).

Fayettechill14

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 12, 2014, 06:07:56 pm
You had to go all the way back to the first game of the season to find a dropped deep ball? 

Show us all of the other ones from this season.  I think there were 10 or 12 underthrows and overthrows for every dropped deep ball.

I'm starting to get frustrated. The earlier poster suggested that Allen was the ONLY problem with the deep ball not working, so I provided a counter-example. You appear to have interpreted that as the WRs are the ONLY problem and Allen is a perfect angel.

There aren't two sides to every argument: the EXTREME left and the EXTREME right. There's a balance, and that's usually where the real truth is. Earlier in this very thread, I wrote the following:

The deep ball problems are due to BOTH a QB with a subpar deep ball and WRs that don't do a very good job of getting separation or catching the ball deep. The reason that's important is because some folks seem to think that a QB change will fix all of our offensive problems. That's certainly NOT the case.