Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

*SIAP* College Football's 25 most expensive programs

Started by philobeddoe, December 12, 2014, 12:05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

philobeddoe

Inhogswetrust

With what they have to spend on other sports a lot barely break even and some probably don't. If you went down past the top 25 I'd bet a huge majority have a deficit that has to be made up somehow.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hawgndaaz

Every time I look at these lists it reminds me how awful Title IX is.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 12, 2014, 12:35:55 pm

They spent some of that money before on other things like less followed mens sports.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

imtad16

What in the heck is Wisconsin spending their money on? Doesn't seem to be facilities or coaches? Cheese Curds?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: imtad16 on December 12, 2014, 12:48:16 pm
What in the heck is Wisconsin spending their money on? Doesn't seem to be facilities or coaches? Cheese Curds?

Snow removal............................

TexHog188

Alvarez's cameo bowl coaching, and coaching searches apparently.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

MissippHog

Coaching search firms?

dalhog3343

Quote from: pignparadise on December 12, 2014, 12:16:01 pm
Florida State is getting the most bang for their bucks

I would say that distinction goes to Texass. They are spending $27M to make $109M. Florida State is spending $23M to make $43M.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: dalhog3343 on December 12, 2014, 12:59:46 pm
I would say that distinction goes to Texass. They are spending $27M to make $109M. Florida State is spending $23M to make $43M.

Texas has not been spending the normal amount towards the "Vaulted Recruiting Slush Fund". Just look at Bama's and $MU-Barn's cost! Apparently "Recootin" in the South is just a little more expensive!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusksincolorado on December 12, 2014, 01:08:15 pm
Texas has not been spending the normal amount towards the "Vaulted Recruiting Slush Fund". Just look at Bama's and $MU-Barn's cost! Apparently "Recootin" in the South is just a little more expensive!

Texas isn't the south?

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2014, 01:14:04 pm
Texas isn't the south?

Nope...Texans think BBQ is Beef....Southerners know it's Pork, BABY!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: philobeddoe on December 12, 2014, 12:05:20 pm
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/slideshow/2014/08/29/college-footballs-most-expensive-programs.html?s=image_gallery&img_no=25?ana=rss_nsh_tabo

Check out the expenses vs revenue.  Looks like some schools are barely breaking even. 

Just goes to show how successful the SEC has been when Ole Miss has a bigger budget than Michigan and Florida State.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: tusksincolorado on December 12, 2014, 01:19:03 pm

+1  Beef BBQ does not exist.  If it ain't swine, it ain't fine.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusksincolorado on December 12, 2014, 01:19:03 pm

O.K. THAT is true! You win! tejas always wants to be different.

hogfan870

I realize that the majority of programs do not have margins like the ones on the list (and I only made it to about 15 before I quit looking), but it is hard to look at those lists and not think the players should get some more of their living expenses paid.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 12, 2014, 02:00:48 pm
I realize that the majority of programs do not have margins like the ones on the list (and I only made it to about 15 before I quit looking), but it is hard to look at those lists and not think the players should get some more of their living expenses paid.   

I think we've covered this. 

Hoggish1

That's why there are power conferences and then there are POWER Conferences...

pignparadise

Quote from: dalhog3343 on December 12, 2014, 12:59:46 pm
Im talking WINS which is the reason everybody spends the money
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 12, 2014, 02:00:48 pm

Look at the total athletic budget sheet.  Now look at the subsidized column.  Is the state going to pay these player?, cause that is where the money is coming from in most programs.

hogfan870

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 12, 2014, 03:46:26 pm
Look at the total athletic budget sheet.  Now look at the subsidized column.  Is the state going to pay these player?, cause that is where the money is coming from in most programs.

I know that the athletic department spends the majority of the football revenues above expenses on other things/non revenue producing sports, but my point is, the top college football programs have some pretty amazing margins.  If you can find any other business with margins like that, you better invest heavily.  It is just shocking to see margins above 50% like that. 

Then you realize that the reason the margins are so high is because they do not pay the vast majority of the people doing the work.  I can't get over the feeling that it is wrong, especially when a good percentage of the people doing the work are poor.  I realize that a lot of people don't agree, and was really not trying to start a debate, but I guess I should have expected it. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 12, 2014, 12:35:55 pm
100% agree with you. drives me nuts how women's basketball, track, etc.,  gets more scholarships than mens. then they use male student managers to practice against the women because there are not enough talented lady players to practice against the first team.  And they are still on scholarship.  Take out football from the title 9 and I am good with everything else as every other sport has a male and female team.  But don't punish the other men's sports because of football. 

Killean

It's also probably good to point out that this is an awful lot of accounting tricks too  ;)
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Killean on December 12, 2014, 07:13:22 pm
It's also probably good to point out that this is an awful lot of accounting tricks too  ;)

I wonder how many of these schools only dip into private foundation revenues (like our Razorback Foundation) to make sure they are solvent. You raise, say, $50M through donations on tickets, one-time gifting, etc. But, you only need $33M to make budget, so you report $33M and some change. The bean counters are happy and you invest independently of the school.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 12, 2014, 05:43:37 pm
I know that the athletic department spends the majority of the football revenues above expenses on other things/non revenue producing sports, but my point is, the top college football programs have some pretty amazing margins.  If you can find any other business with margins like that, you better invest heavily.  It is just shocking to see margins above 50% like that. 

Then you realize that the reason the margins are so high is because they do not pay the vast majority of the people doing the work.  I can't get over the feeling that it is wrong, especially when a good percentage of the people doing the work are poor.  I realize that a lot of people don't agree, and was really not trying to start a debate, but I guess I should have expected it. 

Full ride Scholarship is worth a lot, there is room and board paid for.  Where the real expense is administration.  Pull up the athletic organization chart.  It's a lot of people supporting all those athletes.