Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some of you just don't understand about Texas

Started by LuckyDavey, December 08, 2014, 02:57:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

My Crayola 64 ct crayon box only has 63 crayons in it.  ::hornsdown::
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HSVhogfan2

I grew up in the 1960s and know all about the rivalry. As I got older, I also learned that it was much more a rivalry for AR fans than TX fans. TX main 2 rivals are Oklahoma and the Aggies. Also, it's hard to have a true rivalry when one side leads it 56-21.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 09, 2014, 08:32:24 am
I grew up in the 1960s and know all about the rivalry. As I got older, I also learned that it was much more a rivalry for AR fans than TX fans. TX main 2 rivals are Oklahoma and the Aggies. Also, it's hard to have a true rivalry when one side leads it 56-21.

You take out the pre 50's games, it's not too bad a rivalry.

hogsanity

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 09, 2014, 08:32:24 am

What makes it look bad anymore is how hog fans treat playing a 6-6 team as the be all end all. Every year people sit around just hoping the Hogs get to play Texas somewhere. There are some who would rather play Texas 4 times in the ooc schedule, all in Austin if needed, like beating Texas anymore proves anything.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OLDHOG

I'm 63. yesterday as a matter of fact. and I hate Texas and I love beating them. They were just so arrogant. If you weren't around back then it's hard to understand the passion. I am starting to hate auburn almost as much tho.

wpswillriseagain

I was listening to overtime with matt jones yesterday, and he kind of said when he played  he always heard of the great rivalry, but he and  many of the other players looked at it like that. He said the day they beat Texas  in Austin everything just felt right playing and they just knew they were going to win.

I've heard my dad talk about the rivalry, but since I'm so young i dont really look at it like a rivalry. I'm sure it used to be when we were in the SWC and after when we played every year. Many of these young players from Louisiana, Florida, and others may have never heard of the rivalry. I think the boys from Texas may have and will be fired up to play in their home state against historically the top program in the state.

I do think there will be a rivalry-sense to the game though after everything is said, and i bet Frank Broyles will go talk to the team, about the rivalry and maybe some more old -timers that are respected, and it will put a spark in our players.

oldhawg

Quote from: PorcineSublime on December 09, 2014, 06:05:01 am
Or perhaps I was trying to place some rationality and perspective in an otherwise irrational thread. Look I get it, fan is short for fanatic and so on. But maybe as an old fart I get a little offended when folks equate a game of sport with folks actually giving their lives for their country. I know he did not mean it literally, but all the same I would prefer that he pick another metaphor. Having said that I will lighten up and let the thread continue.  :razorback:  ;D

Do you get just as agitated when people refer to Fayetteville as FayetteNam when it comes to playing a football game there?  Isn't that reference trivializing our war effort in Viet Nam?

No one in his right mind would equate a football game to WWII or VietNam, but there are occasions when a little levity is appropriate because of the absurdity of the comparison.

But back to the issue.  Having been a Razorback fan since Duke beat the Hogs 7-6 in the Cotton Bowl, I will have to admit that my disdain for the Horns has lessened somewhat since Arkansas joined the SEC, but I still want them to loss every damn game they play.  I think we can at least agree on this statement.

DeltaBoy

If your 45+ your hate for TX should run DEEP!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

007 License To Squeal

I don't understand why some of you are so negative......Some of you act as if we, who cherish this game, are somehow "out of touch" or living in the past.....Nothing could be further from the truth. 

Some of us grew up looking forward to the UA vs UT games. It was fun then, and it's fun now. The finest parts of life are family and memories.

Stop trying to ruin our fun.

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

MTBrookHog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 09, 2014, 09:41:24 am
I don't understand why some of you are so negative......Some of you act as if we, who cherish this game, are somehow "out of touch" or living in the past.....Nothing could be further from the truth. 

Some of us grew up looking forward to the UA vs UT games. It was fun then, and it's fun now. The finest parts of life are family and memories.

But, if we would have played Texas last year and won and still lost every conference game, would you have considered it a successful year? A lot of fans have the mentality that as long as we beat Texas, everything else doesn't matter.

And before anyone says anything about my avatar, its more about Larry Jackson than Arkansas vs. Texas.

hogsanity

It is not that people cherish the game, or the series while both teams were in the swc, it is the idea that playing texas is still the greatest thing since the wheel and fire were discovered.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 09, 2014, 08:35:28 am
You take out the pre 50's games, it's not too bad a rivalry.

The 1960s and the 1980s are the only two decades in (fairly) modern times that AR won 2 times in the entire decade.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jrulz83

The title of this thread kind of works both ways doesn't it?  :)
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 09, 2014, 09:54:49 am
The 1960s and the 1980s are the only two decades in (fairly) modern times that AR won 2 times in the entire decade.

If Arkansas could win every third year vs Bama, would you take it?  Given present conditions?

acua

I'm 48 and also detest Texas' fans arrogance but they are really persona no-grata to me now.  This bowl game will be like hooking up with an ex-girlfriend that you dumped and have moved on from but its closing time and banging her is better than going home alone.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 09, 2014, 10:16:46 am
If Arkansas could win every third year vs Bama, would you take it?  Given present conditions?

Yes. But AR is not a "rival" for Bama, just as AR was not a "rival for TX. After all, that is, I believe, what this thread is about.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

snoblind

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 09:52:13 pm
Cassette? Did you like have an 8 track too?  :)

No.  I was ahead of my time.  :)  All my friends gave me grief saying that 8 tracks would outlast cassettes.  Interesting that vinyl seems to be making a bit of comeback.  Since I replaced so many of my favorite albums with CD's a long time ago, but kept the albums I've thought about getting a turntable just to compare after all these years.

jrulz83

Quote from: snoblind on December 09, 2014, 10:39:57 am
No.  I was ahead of my time.  :)  All my friends gave me grief saying that 8 tracks would outlast cassettes.  Interesting that vinyl seems to be making a bit of comeback.  Since I replaced so many of my favorite albums with CD's a long time ago, but kept the albums I've thought about getting a turntable just to compare after all these years.

Vinyl, there is something to be said for the smell of vinyl in cardboard sleeve. Even though it was past obsolete by the time I came along, there is something I enjoy about it.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

SemperFi

When I refer to hating something I generally draw the comparison to my hatred for the texass longhorns to really paint the picture. For instance, "I hate ISIS as much as I hate the texass longhorns" or "Obama must be a longhorn fan, which explains all the stupid things he does".

True story....my Mother bought me a polo for Father's Day one year. It was burnt orange in color, which after wearing it once "for" her I decided that it was too close to the texass burnt orange so I donated it to Goodwill.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Sportster365

It's a little embarrassing to claim some team as a rival when in turn they don't feel the same way about your team.

We don't have a rival, WE HATE EVERYBODY!  WP

hogsanity

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 09, 2014, 10:27:28 am
Yes. But AR is not a "rival" for Bama, just as AR was not a "rival for TX. After all, that is, I believe, what this thread is about.

Ar was a road block for Texas, but not a rival. Even in a lousy season, they could salvage that with a win over OU or A&M. In a lousy year beating the Hogs just meant they had one more win in a lousy year.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: LuckyDavey on December 08, 2014, 02:57:41 pm
I have read some dumb things on here before but not as dumb as some of the things I read here today.  Not a rivalry???  I was a freshman in 1964.  Try telling any of the 5000 students who were at the airport at 2:00 AM to welcome the football team back from Texas that it ain't a rivalry.  They couldn't even put the ramp down for the team to exit the plane, so we just caught all of them as they jumped from the plane.  Tell Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Kenny Hatfield, and the rest of that team that it ain't a rivalry.

I had still rather beat Texas than any team in the SEC, including Alabama.  The Texas fans are the most obnoxious football fans in all of college football.  I don't care if we play them once a decade or once a century.  It will always be my biggest rivalry for my piggies.  What a great belated Christmas present it would be to beat them.  Go Hogs!!! and Woooo Pig Sooiiieee!!!!!
Its a one-sided rivalry. Arkansas has the passion, but texas is more concerned about OU and threw a fit when they couldn get Tamu. The head-up margin makes it no better.

Hawgzinbowlz

They won't ruin anybody's fun. To enjoy hating Texas and double that enjoyment by whippin' their A$$ has to be felt. Rivalry, schmivalry; Just whip their A$$.
To not have been a part of that and not have it be a part of your Hog Heritage is something that deserves  a certain degree of sympathy. They'll never feel it and never get it...and that's OK.
It's something that is a part of Hog history. If you feel it, you're one of the lucky ones...enjoy.

" GO HOGS "

Hawgzinbowlz

geauxhawgs

Those who are on here claiming Missouri is a rival need a history lesson on Texas, LSU, TAMU, and Ole Miss. Lets just say these games don't need Shelter Insurance to sponsor them ha

hogsanity

Quote from: geauxhawgs on December 09, 2014, 11:47:49 am
Those who are on here claiming Missouri is a rival need a history lesson on Texas, LSU, TAMU, and Ole Miss. Lets just say these games don't need Shelter Insurance to sponsor them ha

And those giving lessons on the "rivalry" with A&M or old misses, or lsu need a lesson themselves on games like Lehigh/Lafayette, Harvard/Yale and about a dozen others where the teams have played each other over 100 times.

razorbacker3

I was breed, born and raised a Razorback. Went to my first game in 1962 at age 7. Saw the Hogs beat Texas in 1965. My 15th birthday was Dec.6 1969 and I was there at the "Game of the Century". I have seen hundreds of Hog games in my 60 years and yes Texas is the most hated rival we have ever had. You can argue until your blue in the face and you lose. No other opponent rivals the hate and disdain than Texas.
With that being said, I was hoping for another opponent since I now feel that TEXAS is beneath us and would rather thrash another team with a similar record. Now if Texas was ranked or NC contender, then I would love to kick their butts.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 09, 2014, 09:32:42 am
If your 45+ your hate for TX should run DEEP!!!

Thank you for telling us how we should feel..................I think I'll make up my own mind. As you get older it isn't always healthy to live in the past. Sometimes it is best to let go.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

demonHOG1013

Everybody giping about Texas rivalry or not,  which 6-6 team out there would you rather play?

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on December 09, 2014, 11:38:39 am
They won't ruin anybody's fun. To enjoy hating Texas and double that enjoyment by whippin' their A$$ has to be felt. Rivalry, schmivalry; Just whip their A$$.
To not have been a part of that and not have it be a part of your Hog Heritage is something that deserves  a certain degree of sympathy. They'll never feel it and never get it...and that's OK.
It's something that is a part of Hog history. If you feel it, you're one of the lucky ones...enjoy.

" GO HOGS "

I guess you are right.  For those of us who experienced it year after year it  is "Special".....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hogsanity

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on December 09, 2014, 12:51:25 pm
Everybody giping about Texas rivalry or not,  which 6-6 team out there would you rather play?

I am not griping about playing Texas, I am just talking about how some are acting about playing Texas. You are exactly right, they are a 6-6 team playing another 6-6 team. It is not the 2nd coming of the 1969 Game of the Century.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 09, 2014, 01:10:40 pm
I guess you are right.  For those of us who experienced it year after year it  is "Special".....

It's like a class reunion in a nursing home cafeteria.

I was part of that "rivalry" for I'd say about 10 years. Is that long enough to have experienced it "year after year"?

I guess I just moved on from dreaming about Texas being the devil. Replaced them with Alabama (our record against AL is very similar to our record against TX), or Auburn (who we are right at .500 with), or ol Miss.

This absolutely has turned in to daily lecturing about the good ol days to all the "younger" fans. But whats old enough? 40-45-50? How many years of your life must Arkansas have spent in the SWC?

The Texas "rivalry" isn't what it used to be. We've historically had our cracks whipped by the Longhorns, with a few exceptions.

Change: Oh and for the record, the "see-through man-panty" football pants they wear are fekkin stupid.
This is my non-signature signature.

Porcius Magnus

As my children live in Austin and I'm around Longhorn fans quite a bit, and for the most part, they just don't care about/for us.  Truthfully, I feel pretty much the same way.  We don't normally play them and I work around plenty of LSUcks fans to fill any hate void in my heart.  We're an SEC school with plenty of other schools to despise (i.e. Auburn)... I just can't get too exercised about an now defunct rivalry.  However, I WILL i be at NRG Stadium to call the Hogs on the 29th.

bigpig07

Quote from: oldhawg on December 08, 2014, 08:21:47 pm
Kinda like trying to tell a WWII vet (if you can still find one alive), "The war was seventy year ago, it's meaningless today. Get over it."

You're comparing an actual war to a football game?  Wow

hogsanity

What if ind very odd is how many people on here talking about what a big deal Texas games are, and how they hate them so much, LIVE IN TEXAS or have kids that moved there.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 09, 2014, 12:25:11 pm
Thank you for telling us how we should feel..................I think I'll make up my own mind. As you get older it isn't always healthy to live in the past. Sometimes it is best to let go.

I understand that I lived through the Great Cheatout loss to Texa$$ so I know the heartach and pain of having even a bad TX team ruin our dreams.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

redeye

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 09, 2014, 08:19:53 am
You validate what others are saying by pointing out the Tenner/Bama and Georgia/old barn rivalries. Bama considers old barn their top rival and old barn considers Bama their top rival. Tenner and Georgia are at best the number two and maybe number three rivals to them. We are like Tenner in that regard. Tenner considers Bama their rival but Bama considers old barn their rival above Tenner. Tejas considers TAMU (at least before they left for the SEC) and OU their biggest rivals.

But Alabama still considers Tennessee a rival and that's one of the big holdups with realigning divisions.  And yet, I keep hearing that Arkansas can't be a rival to Texas, because they already have Oklahoma and A&M.  I guess you can only have 2, so that means the press is wrong when referring to rivalries between Alabama/LSU, Alabama/Florida, Texas/Arkansas.

Similarly, you apparently can't have a rival when one team has dominated too much.  A&M's record against Texas is only a little better then ours, so I guess that was never a real rivalry, either.

The thing that really bothers me here isn't that some don't consider it a rivalry anymore, but that they claim it never was one.  I remember first hearing that around 15 years ago, after we'd been out of the SWC for a while and no longer played Texas.  The reasons given above began circulating around and apparently were highly successful, because even many older fans seem to have bought in to the idea that Texas never cared about Arkansas.  And yet, I've heard too many older Texas fans claim just the opposite.

Maybe some of it's because I never thought we were Texas' #1 rival.  Our struggles to beat Texas certainly wasn't a secret, so that wasn't it.  But I really think we're re-writing history and losing the truth, because tradition and history have no value with Arkansas fans these days.  It's almost as if anything that happened before 1992 doesn't matter, despite that our best years came before that time.

Many Texas newspapers are referring to it as an old rivalry right now.  It's listed as one of the greatest now-defunct rivalries on several online lists.  But Arkansas fans can't stand life without misery, so we spend a great amount of time complaining that Texas doesn't consider us a rival, LSU doesn't want us as a rival, Missouri and ASU aren't worthy enough to have us as a rival, etc, etc.  We're our own worse enemy and can't get out of our own way nowadays.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: redeye on December 09, 2014, 03:19:57 pm
But Alabama still considers Tennessee a rival and that's one of the big holdups with realigning divisions.  And yet, I keep hearing that Arkansas can't be a rival to Texas, because they already have Oklahoma and A&M.  I guess you can only have 2, so that means the press is wrong when referring to rivalries between Alabama/LSU, Alabama/Florida, Texas/Arkansas.

Similarly, you apparently can't have a rival when one team has dominated too much.  A&M's record against Texas is only a little better then ours, so I guess that was never a real rivalry, either.

The thing that really bothers me here isn't that some don't consider it a rivalry anymore, but that they claim it never was one.  I remember first hearing that around 15 years ago, after we'd been out of the SWC for a while and no longer played Texas.  The reasons given above began circulating around and apparently were highly successful, because even many older fans seem to have bought in to the idea that Texas never cared about Arkansas.  And yet, I've heard too many older Texas fans claim just the opposite.

Maybe some of it's because I never thought we were Texas' #1 rival.  Our struggles to beat Texas certainly wasn't a secret, so that wasn't it.  But I really think we're re-writing history and losing the truth, because tradition and history have no value with Arkansas fans these days.  It's almost as if anything that happened before 1992 doesn't matter, despite that our best years came before that time.

Many Texas newspapers are referring to it as an old rivalry right now.  It's listed as one of the greatest now-defunct rivalries on several online lists.  But Arkansas fans can't stand life without misery, so we spend a great amount of time complaining that Texas doesn't consider us a rival, LSU doesn't want us as a rival, Missouri and ASU aren't worthy enough to have us as a rival, etc, etc.  We're our own worse enemy and can't get out of our own way nowadays.

It was periodic. We dished out a few good Arse Whuupins to the Longhorns. We lost when we should have won and won when we should have lost. And then when we won when we should have won, we lost to Baylor or A&M to screw everything up. We were much more fierce in the old rivalry than Texas. We used it as a warcry about all the glory that the Longhorns took from us. It motivated our players to go out and try to get the better of them, this time.

Oddly enough, Nutt had a 2-1 record against the Longhorns and was 2-0 when playing in Texas. The only decades that we broke even with them was the 1930s and 2000s.

This is my non-signature signature.

Inhogswetrust

In the NEW world we don't have to "cherish" a game with tejas. I grew up looking forward to that game but have moved on. I looked forward to my Mom cooking dinner for me everyday but that don't happen anymore either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on December 09, 2014, 03:19:57 pm

Bama's rivalry with tenner is in the same league thought wise as tea sips thinking about us being a rival. It is NOT their number one rival and never was.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 09, 2014, 02:17:15 pm
I understand that I lived through the Great Cheatout loss to Texa$$ so I know the heartach and pain of having even a bad TX team ruin our dreams.

I remember those days as well I'm 57.........................I don't care. They are no longer our rival and we never were their number one rival in their eyes. It's MUCH heather to live in the present than the past. I remember the past and respect it but unlike you I don't dwell on it or live in it.

HSVhogfan2

Finnebaum "the AR/TX game will look good on your screen from a historical standpoint........ Until AR blows them out. LOL

Veni Sancte Spiritus

PigPusher

I was also a freshman in 1964. Back then the university was very tolerant with the fans bringing liquor into the stadium. As I remember this finally came to a halt as a result of Texass fans throwing empty liquor bottles into the stands. The usual reason for this activity? Getting beat or being behind in the score.  Or let's say, perhaps having some Texas fans yell at you calling "Here piggy, here piggy, here (want a be piggy) maybe next year, ha!!." Experience any of this and you will grow to hate.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

oldhawg

Quote from: MTBrookHog on December 09, 2014, 09:47:44 am
But, if we would have played Texas last year and won and still lost every conference game, would you have considered it a successful year? A lot of fans have the mentality that as long as we beat Texas, everything else doesn't matter.

And before anyone says anything about my avatar, its more about Larry Jackson than Arkansas vs. Texas.

No, of course not, but at least there would be one bright spot in the season.

redeye

Quote from: PigPusher on December 09, 2014, 03:57:58 pm
I was also a freshman in 1964. Back then the university was very tolerant with the fans bringing liquor into the stadium. As I remember this finally came to a halt as a result of Texass fans throwing empty liquor bottles into the stands. The usual reason for this activity? Getting beat or being behind in the score.  Or let's say, perhaps having some Texas fans yell at you calling "Here piggy, here piggy, here (want a be piggy) maybe next year, ha!!." Experience any of this and you will grow to hate.

I was reading Shaggy Bevo and several old timers were saying the same thing, except it was Arkansas fans throwing the bottles.

True or not, you don't say those things when you like your opponent.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on December 09, 2014, 04:13:12 pm
Who cares?  It's still a rivalry and I doubt that Tennessee fans sit around complaining that they're not Alabama's #1 rival.  So why must we do it?

I didn't know there were stipulations saying you had to be the #1 rival or you had to win so many games.  Seriously, why is this relevant?  Why bring it up?  And how does it change anything?

If all these things are important, then we should play stAte.  We won't do that, but yet, we're obsessed with who considers us a rival.

MY point is NOBODY has to have a "rival". ALL teams we play are a rival the week we play them. Nothing more, nothing less. Some of OUR fans are obsessed with tejas as a "rival" not the other way around.

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

Tim

Quote from: LuckyDavey on December 08, 2014, 02:57:41 pm
I have read some dumb things on here before but not as dumb as some of the things I read here today.  Not a rivalry???  I was a freshman in 1964.  Try telling any of the 5000 students who were at the airport at 2:00 AM to welcome the football team back from Texas that it ain't a rivalry.  They couldn't even put the ramp down for the team to exit the plane, so we just caught all of them as they jumped from the plane.  Tell Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Kenny Hatfield, and the rest of that team that it ain't a rivalry.

I had still rather beat Texas than any team in the SEC, including Alabama.  The Texas fans are the most obnoxious football fans in all of college football.  I don't care if we play them once a decade or once a century.  It will always be my biggest rivalry for my piggies.  What a great belated Christmas present it would be to beat them.  Go Hogs!!! and Woooo Pig Sooiiieee!!!!!
55-21. Some rivalry.

oldhawg