Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some of you just don't understand about Texas

Started by LuckyDavey, December 08, 2014, 02:57:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LuckyDavey

I have read some dumb things on here before but not as dumb as some of the things I read here today.  Not a rivalry???  I was a freshman in 1964.  Try telling any of the 5000 students who were at the airport at 2:00 AM to welcome the football team back from Texas that it ain't a rivalry.  They couldn't even put the ramp down for the team to exit the plane, so we just caught all of them as they jumped from the plane.  Tell Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Kenny Hatfield, and the rest of that team that it ain't a rivalry.

I had still rather beat Texas than any team in the SEC, including Alabama.  The Texas fans are the most obnoxious football fans in all of college football.  I don't care if we play them once a decade or once a century.  It will always be my biggest rivalry for my piggies.  What a great belated Christmas present it would be to beat them.  Go Hogs!!! and Woooo Pig Sooiiieee!!!!!
Carolinas Chapter
Arkansas Alumni Association
Watch Party Chairman
AKA   RazorbackDave

johnny cash

pigture perfect

I wasn't a freshman in 64, but i feel the same way. I hate Texas so much that I've turned down opportunities in Texas for advancement because I didn't want my kids to become involved with those inbred buggers.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

razorbackkid

The only reason I love to eat steak is knowing it comes from a dead Longhorn.  (Or relative thereof) :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Calvin Swine

I'm in my early 40's and I hate Texas.  When I was at the U of A I was very up close and personal with those egotistical highly entitled self bloated jack-wagons.  It's a huge old rivalry for those of us who lived it, but for the newer fans it's more of a novelty.  It's been a long time since all the slights so I don't begrudge the newer fans cooling off the burning coals of loathing.

But, tbh, a rivalry is usually a two way street and as our football program declined and posed less of a threat to Texas they stopped caring as much about us.  They had their Aggies to kick around and make to feel inferior and that, of course, would always take priority.  I think we were an annoyance in the later years and not much more.  I do think Texas harbors hate for us but not for the same reasons or to the same degree as we hold for them.  Moreover I think they feel themselves so much our superior they try not to show they care too much (unless of course they can be on the winning end, in which they will be all to glad to rub our noses in it).

I wouldn't worry too much about whether it truly is a rivalry though.  We crashed the Texas Bowl's site within 30 seconds of the announcement.  That in and of itself is enough reason to take heart and know that the rivalry (mostly one sided or not) is still alive and well. 

opineonswine

I hate Texas (and always will) with the white hot heat of a thousand suns.  They are the most evil, loathesome, filthy, (I'm running out of adjectives), horrible team on the planet.  The Dark Lord is a boy scout compared to them.

There will never, ever be a rival for the Razorbacks, in my lifetime, that even comes in the arena close to what they are..putrid, wretched, pus-filled bags of scum.

But that's just me....

Steef

Quote from: opineonswine on December 08, 2014, 03:41:23 pm
I hate Texas (and always will) with the white hot heat of a thousand suns.  They are the most evil, loathesome, filthy, (I'm running out of adjectives), horrible team on the planet.  The Dark Lord is a boy scout compared to them.

There will never, ever be a rival for the Razorbacks, in my lifetime, that even comes in the arena close to what they are..putrid, wretched, pus-filled bags of scum.

But that's just me....

I didn't get on campus until 1970. But I still remember the 60's, growing up in Little Rock. Listening to WMS call the Hogs.

And I hate Texas.

They aren't as 'filthy' as Auburn. That's just not possible.

But I hate 'em more than Auburn. I hate 'em more than Auburn, Florida and Tennessee combined.

It's a DNA thing.

Augustus

There's so many fans on both sides that don't understand the Old Rivalry.

We have a new generation that only knows SEC "rivalries", so that's all they know.

But, the old school fans get it. There's just as many Old School guys on texass' side that hate us just as much as we hate them. 

:razorback: ::hornsdown::

The Boar War

I don't think anyone is saying that Arkansas fans don't think it's a rivalry...

It's a rivalry.  Unfortunately a lot of folks only see "rivalry" as a blood feud that only involves two teams. 

Torqued pork

Sed76

Just out of curiosity, why is Texas hated any more than A&M or any other former SWC school? 

The Boar War

Quote from: Sed76 on December 08, 2014, 03:50:38 pm
Just out of curiosity, why is Texas hated any more than A&M or any other former SWC school? 

They always had the power, the best players, the history.  Same reason why every other member of the old SWC has a "rivalry" with Texas.

old hog

Grew up watching my beloved hogs in the 60's and to this day still sneer whenever I see a longhorn shirt. Despise them, and would love nothing better than BB whipping some Texazz butt.

Jborohog09

I'm 23 and I hate them.  Every time I see their logo I  ::hornsdown:: without even thinking about it.  It's as natural as breathing to me.

hogsanity

because many more times than not, especially when it really mattered, Texas beat the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rickm1976

Quote from: The Boar War on December 08, 2014, 03:52:35 pm
They always had the power, the best players, the history.  Same reason why every other member of the old SWC has a "rivalry" with Texas.

This, and they are the most arrogant fans in the country.  For all of you younger guys/girls, take any smug, arrogant, condescending Bama fan and multiply that times ten.  Then, you will start getting an idea of how disgusting Longhorn fans are.  Add to that the fact that about 20% of our losses to them were due to being screwed by the Texas refs (FCJ can verify this fact).  Then you can begin to understand why us old farts hate them so much.

bigdaddyhawg

Like most of you I had my heart ripped beating out of my chest in '69, but I'd much rather beat the crap out of Auburn.

I think most of my change of mind/hatred is wrapped up in the fact that UT has received beau-coup amounts humiliation recently.

And I'm actually kind of rooting for Charlie to succeed down there -- partly because he's an Arkansas boy, and partly because I would love to see all those arrogant HS coaches down there eat spit.

Sorry.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

goodguytex

I have lived my entire life on the Arkansas/Texas border in Texarkana. On the Arkansas side. And here the hate for Texass never dies. The years when they won big and Arkansas wasn't, I would get the laughs when I would wear my Razorback stuff around horn fans. Texans are by nature kind of arrogant anyway. An arrogant Texass fan is just 1,000 times worse and makes you want to wring their neck when confronted with one. Just last week a Texass fan looked at me in my Razorback stuff and said he likes Arkansas. Thinks we good people. But we are just country bumpkins compared to UT. Made me wanna choke him. No team I want to beat more.

The reaction from Texass fans this morning to me was..."UT should have turned down a bowl like this. This is beneath UT. Our program is bigger than a small bowl like this and a team like Arkansas. We should have just kept the team home and focused on recruiting." They think this bowl, and Arkansas aren't good enough for the precious horns. We always get laughed at, looked down our noses at by them. That's the way they are.

Beat the Christmas rush....Hate Texass.... As much as you can. Embrace it. Don't deny your heritage.

VirginiaHog

Quote from: Jborohog09 on December 08, 2014, 03:58:13 pm
I'm 23 and I hate them.  Every time I see their logo I  ::hornsdown:: without even thinking about it.  It's as natural as breathing to me.
Me too. Even us younger one consider it a rivalry if we were raised right.

litmachog

I am 51.  I grew up hating Texas.  Nobody could have come into my house and rooted for Texas.  My dad would have thrown him out of the house.  I say my first words as a baby was "boo Texas".

Why hate them more than any other teams in the SWC?  They tried to be in the SWC what they do in the Big12.  They consider themselves the Godfather of the conference.  Did back then and still do.  Hated that.  But the biggest thing is SWC was always Hogs and Horns and sometimes other teams but none of them were consistently in the top and competitive EVERY year.

How many people who watched games in the SWC said "Cotton Pickin Refs??".  SWC had a rule that no refs from Arkansas could ref a game we played in.  Now since all other schools were in Texas it was okay for those Texas refs to handle all football games.

Gosh I can't stand the Horns!!  Our family was one that if we beat the Horns and lost to everyone else, it was still a good season.  Growing up, no one owned a shirt that had burnt orange in it.  We got one from someone, it became a shirt for the dogs to lay on.

Gosh I can't stand the Horns!!  Okay, now I'll shut up.

redeye

I'm glad you brought this up OP, because it's getting tiresome listening to people claim it wasn't a rivalry.  Back when it was ongoing, you never heard such claims.  Those claiming to be old enough, who say it's not a rival, are either lying or just wrong.  If the SWC were still around today, we'd hear much more about the Arkansas vs. Texas rivalry and there wouldn't be any question that it was real.

Yea, Texas had other rivals that were usually bigger, but they weren't always bigger.  Texas considered us a rival more then LSU ever did, but calling LSU a rival is okay, while it's not for Texas?  Younger Texas fans likely feel the same way, but not the older fans.

Quote from: Calvin Swine on December 08, 2014, 03:35:06 pm
But, tbh, a rivalry is usually a two way street and as our football program declined and posed less of a threat to Texas they stopped caring as much about us. 

I think Texas began declining before we did.  The reason the rivalry declined is simply because we quit playing.  Texas had no shortage of teams wanting to take our place, and knew it was a bigger loss to us, then it would be to them.  IIRC, they had planned to never play us again, but finally relented for the 2000 Cotton Bowl.

mhsbc59

Im 33 i remember the SWC. We are in the SEC have been for 22 years time to move on
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

DOGALUM

I was not a freshman in 1964.  Hell....I was still 10 years away from being born. 
(was born in Texas btw.  Dad was a Rice Owl LB)

I don't like Texas.....or any other team we are playing.  But it's laughable to call others "dumb" for not giving a crap about a team that dominated a series with Arkansas. A series that has been dead for over 20 years.  (I remember the Cotton Bowl....I'm talking about the series)  I certainly don't begrudge anyone who hates Texas.  That's cool.  But keep in mind that it is 2014 and we are in the SEC.  SEC wins mean a hell of a lot more to this program (including the coaches and players) than a low level bowl game against Texas. 
I hope we beat their asses.   But no more than I hope we beat anyone elses....and not as much as I hope we beat SEC schools asses.   Not even close.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Inhogswetrust

December 08, 2014, 04:14:55 pm #23 Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:25:33 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: LuckyDavey on December 08, 2014, 02:57:41 pm
I have read some dumb things on here before but not as dumb as some of the things I read here today.  Not a rivalry???  I was a freshman in 1964.  Try telling any of the 5000 students who were at the airport at 2:00 AM to welcome the football team back from Texas that it ain't a rivalry.  They couldn't even put the ramp down for the team to exit the plane, so we just caught all of them as they jumped from the plane.  Tell Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Kenny Hatfield, and the rest of that team that it ain't a rivalry.

I had still rather beat Texas than any team in the SEC, including Alabama.  The Texas fans are the most obnoxious football fans in all of college football.  I don't care if we play them once a decade or once a century.  It will always be my biggest rivalry for my piggies.  What a great belated Christmas present it would be to beat them.  Go Hogs!!! and Woooo Pig Sooiiieee!!!!!

I'm not trying to be a smart guy BUT it was a rivalry back then but not anymore. We are not in that defunct conference anymore even though back then it was a good one. To the NEWER and younger fans it never will be a rivalry but I understand how it will always be to you and that's fine. Times change and we must change with the times yet we can do that and still respect history. For what it's worth I was in school at the UA when it was still a rivalry to us. I've learned to  remember it fondly and respect it for what it did for us to help bring us to today and the SEC but NOT dwell on it or the past. Remember the past fondly but it is better to live in the day and for tomorrow. At 57 I find myself saying things about how it was back in my younger years just like my parents and grandparents did when they wee my age but that doesn't mean I have to remember liking black and white TV's and no cellphones or computers and wish they were still modus operandi. I will admit that tI've been around a LOT of different teams fans having traveled all over the country and without a doubt they are the most arrogant of all.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Look, I don't like Texas, but playing them is not the be all end all to me. Part of what I like about bowls is seeing teams playing that rarely, if ever, have played each other. I want the Hogs to win, but would have wanted that just as badly regardless of opponent.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

reddogjcss

Lucky I understad and 98% of Razorback fans do! You have some that will disagree with the sun coming up,

Inhogswetrust

Unfortunately because they beat us more than those other teams.....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redeye

Quote from: mhsbc59 on December 08, 2014, 04:10:57 pm
Im 33 i remember the SWC. We are in the SEC have been for 22 years time to move on

First, no one is refusing to move on.  It's not anyone's fault that you're too young to remember much of the SWC.

Second, it is important to remember past tradition, because without it you are nothing.  We lost much of that when joining the SEC, but just because the SEC has no reason to honor our past, doesn't mean we shouldn't, either.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 08, 2014, 03:47:36 pm
I'm 53 and hate Bama more.

Buy a calendar.

The SEC is infinitely bigger and better than the old SWC.  That said, there is no equivalent to the old Texas in the current SEC.  Bama under Saban comes closest but it's not the same.

Now, if Bama could somehow manipulate the rules to allow them to have their pick of the best talent in all the SEC yearly and stack it up four teams deep and have all the officials securely in their pocket and be able to give Mike Slive his marching orders daily and every year be the one team standing between the Hogs and a successful season...

...well then Bama of today would approach what the Texas of yesterday was from the very first game in 1894 until the last conference game in 1991.

That Texas is dead too though they Horns themselves don't know it.  But it is a lot of fun to kick the carcass every now and then.

Beat the Hell out of Texas.

goodguytex

If you have to deal with the arrogant Texass fans on a daily basis your perspective and level of hate for the whorns increases big time.

mhsbc59

Quote from: redeye on December 08, 2014, 04:16:11 pm
First, no one is refusing to move on.  It's not anyone's fault that you're too young to remember much of the SWC.

Second, it is important to remember past tradition, because without it you are nothing.  We lost much of that when joining the SEC, but just because the SEC has no reason to honor our past, doesn't mean we shouldn't, either.

I respect the past I love history.  I have B.A. in History,  if you hold on to the past to hard you cant move forward. For good or bad Arkansas holds on to the bad, the slights, the being cheated. Got to let it go break though the SEC we have what 15 conference title non in the SEC got to change that. Cant do that holding on to hating Texas.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Why do you want to beat Bama more than MS St?  Same thing in the old SWC.

redeye

Quote from: redeye on December 08, 2014, 04:16:11 pm

I wanna expand on this.

As members of the SEC, we're constantly hearing stories about Georgia and Herschel Walker, Auburn and Bo Jackson and Alabama's Bear Bryant.  We hear about Archie Manning and Steven Spurrier as great SEC quarterbacks, but we hear nothing about another great SEC team when those 2 were playing.

That's because Arkansas wasn't in the SEC back then, so it doesn't matter to them that Arkansas was one of the best teams of that era, finishing with the 3rd most wins of the sixties.  They don't care that our '69 game against Texas is considered one of the top college football games to ever be played.

The SWC doesn't exist anymore and the Big 12 has no reason to keep our history alive, either.  So it's up to Arkansas and our fans to keep it alive, or it'll otherwise be forgotten.  Luckily, there are some older Texans who help keep that history alive, also.  If we fail at doing this, then we're no better then Boise State, Kansas State or any number of other college football teams without much past history.  Unfortunately, many already view us that way, but it's not because the history doesn't exist, but rather because they don't know about it and/or respect it.

Quote from: mhsbc59 on December 08, 2014, 04:10:57 pm
If you were 11 when we left the SWC, you don't remember the SWC. 

pfrg999

I root for the Hogs and whoever plays Texas....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

redeye

December 08, 2014, 04:46:11 pm #35 Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:53:44 pm by redeye
Quote from: mhsbc59 on December 08, 2014, 04:21:40 pm
I respect the past I love history.  I have B.A. in History,  if you hold on to the past to hard you cant move forward. For good or bad Arkansas holds on to the bad, the slights, the being cheated. Got to let it go break though the SEC we have what 15 conference title non in the SEC got to change that. Cant do that holding on to hating Texas.

Yea, I don't think you want to hold on too hard, but you don't let it slip away, either.  I realize a lot of fans will agree with your perspective, but I don't think that's our problem.  If anything, I think the opposite is true and that we don't hold on to our past enough, because we act and play like we have none.

E.G.  Our teams in all sports often play like they expect to lose.  That's a recent thing and not something Arkansas has done ever since the '69 game or because of our unfortunate past.  I don't think we ever played like that until recently.

ronmahony

Well i  am 57 and i still love to hate texas, and i wound up living there for 22 years. People just don't know  what it is like to be the only team in the conference not from Texas. Wasn't it the 69 game that we found out later the head official was Darrell Royals roommate in college? I think what pissed me off the worst when i moved down there was to find out they didn't feel the same way about us! They were more that way about Oklahoma, or at least most of the ones i met were. What's really bad us my wife is from there and my kids were born there, so we really do need to win this! Let's win this one for me yall, or i will never hear the end of it.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

sickboy

I'm too young. Im 32 and I certainly have lived through and watched some great games between the Horns and Hogs, but I don't have the same kind of sense of urgency or care to beat Texas as I do, say, an Alabama or an LSU.

But everything's generational. My friend's dad was a Vietnam vet and had issues with anyone who was Vietnamese. I get where he's coming from... but that war and that time doesn't mean anything to me other than being in the books I've read and the films I've watched on the time. Hard to get really passionate about something that I feel detached from.

Hognam Style

I'm 18 and loathe Texas. I root against them in every sport from tennis to football to checkers. I also understand that I'm hating an entity that I envy deep down. Their superior resources make them easy to hate. While some of us like to think of Arkansas as Texas' little brother, we're probably like their 3rd cousin they rarely think about.
Go Hogs, Screw Texas

opineonswine

The sad thing for today's Hog fan (young ones) is they don't really know what a REAL rival feels like.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2014, 04:49:15 pm
Does hating a team make it a rivalry?

No it doesn't.

Playing 77 times and having the game NEVER end in a tie because both teams would repeatedly rather risk a loss than accept a draw makes it a rivalry.

Kevin

it was a one sided rivalry. texas has two rivals more important to them oklahoma, & a&m
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tim Harris

If you have to post on a message board trying to explain who your teams rival is then they aren't a rival.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Kevin on December 08, 2014, 05:26:49 pm
it was a one sided rivalry. texas has two rivals more important to them oklahoma, & a&m

When Texas was at it's greatest in the 1960's it was Arkansas that stood in their way.

jrulz83

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 08, 2014, 05:20:46 pm
No it doesn't.

Playing 77 times and having the game NEVER end in a tie because both teams would repeatedly rather risk a loss than accept a draw makes it a rivalry.

Not after 20 years and a change of conference it doesn't. I dislike Texas as much as anybody, but they are no longer a true "rival". They were a rival when the conference title was decided by playing them. They were a rival when the game had national implications. It's just not that way anymore.

The "rivals" now are Bama, LSU, and like it or not Mizzou. But you old folks need to have fun reliving the past, it gives you something to be crotchety about. I mean let's face it, old people aren't happy unless they're mad about a younger generation lacking vision for history.

goodguytex

Quote from: mhsbc59 on December 08, 2014, 04:21:40 pm
So you are saying our football program can't win an SEC title as long as Arkansas fans still hate Texass? What about Hog fans in western Arkansas that can't stand sooner fans? Them too? It's real easy to live away from the Texas border and preach to other Hog fans how we should just move on from our feelings towards Texass. Gets a little tougher when you have to work and mingle and coexist with Texass fans every single day. Try it and then tell me to just let it go. I can't. Kind of hard when they shove their arrogant superiority complex in my face all the time.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Kevin on December 08, 2014, 05:26:49 pm
Playing Texas the week after their OU game should've helped us win more than it did. The Red River Rivalry got far more hype and than our games with only one or two exceptions.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: opineonswine on December 08, 2014, 05:13:22 pm
The sad thing for today's Hog fan (young ones) is they don't really know what a REAL rival feels like.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

I have been a fan since the mid 60s.  Beating Texas was THE game my family (and future spouse) looked forward to. My wife and I risked the fear of Y2K to fly back to LR from Dallas after the Cotton Bowl on Jan 1, 2000.  For this old-timer, playing (and beating) Texas will ALWAYS be a great match up.

and another thing for you youngsters.......when I was a kid, we spoke only when spoken to.........sometimes, we went YEARS without speaking........and WE LIKED IT!!!!

LOL!!!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

jrulz83

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 08, 2014, 05:43:09 pm
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

I have been a fan since the mid 60s.  Beating Texas was THE game my family (and future spouse) looked forward to. My wife and I risked the fear of Y2K to fly back to LR from Dallas after the Cotton Bowl on Jan 1, 2000.  For this old-timer, playing (and beating) Texas will ALWAYS be a great match up.

and another thing for you youngsters.......when I was a kid, we spoke only when spoken to.........sometimes, we went YEARS without speaking........and WE LIKED IT!!!!

LOL!!!!

Did you walk 5 miles in the snow to school uphill both ways too?  :)