Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tribute to Jeff Long

Started by JIHawg, December 07, 2014, 11:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog911

In all fairness the only mistake made by the committee was building TCU and Baylor's hopes up. OSU would wipe the floor with both those teams. Outside of the first game of the year hiccup, OSU has played better than anyone outside of the SEC. I still think Bama dismantles them!

hawg IQ

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on December 09, 2014, 01:43:47 pm
National officiating would take out perceived bias, but it also just isn't practical for these semi-pros who have day jobs and such. Also, talking with several football officials, the SEC actually has excellent officials in comparison with many other conferences (Big XII, BIG, and Pac-12 all mentioned), but they'll never be NFL level, which is what we expect of them. Yeah we can get into Bama bias, but every conference and league has its few privileged teams (I'm looking at you, ACC and FSU). Things like targeting and the such are not their fault; they simply enforce the rules the way they're supposed to. It's like blaming a cop when he arrests you for a small amount of pot: Maybe it shouldn't be illegal and maybe he disagrees with the law, but it's his job to enforce it.
On the targeting rule : if it can't be as plain as stepping out of bounds it should not be called ever.  Now late hits and roughing the qb have rules already in place, as well as unnecessary roughness.  Why a targeting rule?

It could be called on any hard tackle or near head to head tackles, but isn't.
  It is always in the opinion of any given ref to make that call.  It is nothing other than a bad rule and since there are other rules that cover same thing, it is not needed.
go hogs go !

Jamie Jones

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 09, 2014, 01:50:14 pm
What you and so many others do not know is what was the actual computational differences were from #3 to #6.  You guys assume that's a straight line function, but I'd guess they probably took averages of all the ballots from the committee.

If those slots were very close the OSU performance in their CG could have slid them forward on enough ballots to move them ahead.

But don't let the fact you don't really have all the information keep you from criticizing from a position of ignorance.
Amen! OSU beat Wisconsin 59-0!! They played their way up the poll by beating a highly ranked opponent 59-0!! TCU's win, while a blowout, was against IOWA STATE. Baylor won, albeit a good win, against another ranked opponent in KSU, a game that was much closer than it should have been. If all three teams AND Florida St. were close, on Tuesday, then the 59-0 beat down of Wisconsin, most definitely had the wow factor to shoot them into the top 4.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: hog911 on December 11, 2014, 08:15:02 am
In all fairness the only mistake made by the committee was building TCU and Baylor's hopes up. OSU would wipe the floor with both those teams. Outside of the first game of the year hiccup, OSU has played better than anyone outside of the SEC. I still think Bama dismantles them!
This is where the Big XII almost got two teams in. If FSU had lost a very losable game to GT and the Buckeyes 3rd string qb couldn't overcome the running game of Wisconsin, then the Big XII would have landed, not one, but two teams in the playoffs. And right up until the 59-0 beat down at Columbia, OH, and the latest squeaker from FSU, it looked like the Big XII was going to be the smartest person in the room for only have revenue split 10 ways, as skewed and the split is, without having to declare "One True Champion" by playing a CCG. And the payday would have been HUGE for Texas, again.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.