Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

50 & Older

Started by reddogjcss, December 07, 2014, 05:58:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

reddogjcss

Playing Texas is huge to us! Texas has thrown their weight around for years and we still beat them and yes we lost to them also. They are like BAMA of today except arrogant bunch that has had the Lions share of money proceeds in every conference they ever been in.
I remember watching the games as a kid and they have been my arch enemy ever since!
Beating Texas will make Old Razorbacks rattle the coffins.

rhames

It isn't just important for 50 and older.

Us young bucks are excited too. This is a big game for so many reasons
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Arkfan

I'm over 50 and still hate Texas but I'd have much rather played Miami in Shreveport.

OldCoot

I am not 50 yet but was raised hating Texass.  Didnt even know why, just hated Texass.

I like this matchup MUCH better than WVU.

reddogjcss

I'm glade to see the under 50 are thinking this is huge also.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Arkfan on December 07, 2014, 06:02:54 pm
I'm over 50 and still hate Texas but I'd have much rather played Miami in Shreveport.

Why? So you could attend? Or is the independence bowl now a destination?

bp

welchog

47 and yes, this is the game I wanted.   

Beat texas

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 07, 2014, 06:10:18 pm
I'm glade to see the under 50 are thinking this is huge also.

So you have to be over 50 to understand how bad we hated Texas during our time in the SWC?

Is it huge? No.

Is it an important continuance to a historic rivalry? Yes.

Does it mean as much to Texas as it does to us? No.

Silly OP.
This is my non-signature signature.

reddogjcss

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2014, 06:17:45 pm
So you have to be over 50 to understand how bad we hated Texas during our time in the SWC?

Is it huge? No.

Silly OP.

Clearly, you don't get it.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

kodiakisland

I'm 43 and hate TX.  Love the match up.  I also understand what this means for recruiting, which some people fail to grasp.  The Longhorns are still relevant to Texas HS kids.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Boarcephus

I grew up listening to Ark vs Texas on a transistor radio in  the late 50's, early 60's and have hated them ever since.  I like this matchup and our chances.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

woopigsooie1222

Can't wait to beat the living darn out of 'em
The South Will Rise Again!

jrulz83

Are old guys going to be lecturing everybody for the next three weeks? The Texas thing is over, it's just a bowl game. The most important thing about it is the extra practice, not the opponent.

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 07, 2014, 06:22:29 pm

Clearly, you don't get it.

Huge would be if both were ranked teams. Huge was the 69 game. Huge was playing them for the first time in the Cotton Bowl. Huge was beating them when they were ranked 5th in the nation, in Austin.

We're both 6-6. Don't make it out to be some kind of second coming of the SWC. After the rebuild of both programs, then it will be huge in the right venue, the Cotton Bowl, "BCS" Bowl, or regular season renewal of the rivalry.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 07, 2014, 06:27:12 pm
Are old guys going to be lecturing everybody for the next three weeks?

Yes.......Deal with it......LOL
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

jrulz83

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 07, 2014, 06:32:44 pm
Yes.......Deal with it......LOL

I guess I better steal a Budweiser truck.

gmarv

sounds like to this old codger something has been lost on the youger fans.i for one hate texas with a passion of a thousand suns (or some such thing meaning huge) ,and I promise you I ain,t the only one.any chance to lay a whipping on them is huge in my book.

RockyMtnHog

You'd better steal a Budweiser truck and Jack Daniels truck because this is just the start of it.  If anyone thought that the Ark - Texass rivalry was dead, you're wrong.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Wild Boarnado

December 07, 2014, 06:57:04 pm #19 Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:09:17 pm by Wild Boarnado
I was 10 years old in 1969, and I still remember sitting on the floor, back against the wall, arms wrapped around my knees, head down feeling the greatest depression I'd ever felt. Losing that game hurt so much - worst I've ever felt from watching my Razorbacks lose.  It was the time, it was the atmosphere, it was the hype, it was the expectation of a national championship and to lose in the last few minutes just broke my 10 year old heart. So yeah! Tuck Fexas!! I still want more revenge.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Hogarusa

Do i enjoy posing questions and then answering them myself? I do

Did the opponent really matter when you are 6-6?  No, just happy to get the extra practice and involved in the bowl discussion
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 07, 2014, 06:23:36 pm

I'm 43 and hate TX.  Love the match up.  I also understand what this means for recruiting, which some people fail to grasp.  The Longhorns are still relevant to Texas HS kids.

Agree.  Each time we have the exposure of a bowl game in the state Texas, or get to play in Arlington stadium....is important for our program.  There is a ton of talent in the state of Texas each year, that could help us.  Coach BB touched on the importance of recruiting down there, in his press conference today.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Torqued pork

I hate to say it, but I can understand why Horn fans were arrogant. They did dominate the SWC. Even today most fans of what were SWC schools would name UT as the program they most love to see lose.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2014, 06:31:01 pm
Huge would be if both were ranked teams. Huge was the 69 game. Huge was playing them for the first time in the Cotton Bowl. Huge was beating them when they were ranked 5th in the nation, in Austin.

We're both 6-6. Don't make it out to be some kind of second coming of the SWC. After the rebuild of both programs, then it will be huge in the right venue, the Cotton Bowl, "BCS" Bowl, or regular season renewal of the rivalry.

He was right, you clearly don't get it. This last post just dug the hole deeper. Both teams could 0 - 10 and if we are playing texass, then it is vitally important............ to both teams. Tuck Fexass till the day I die.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

20 years old and can't be more pumped. The lady bought me tickets for Xmas the second it was released. Keeper.
ched come back pls

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2014, 06:31:01 pm

It's huge compared to Birmingham and ECU.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2014, 06:17:45 pm

Is it huge? No.

Silly OP.
You have NO clue.

snoblind

Professor Psychosis

I'm 34, barely remember some of the late 80s games.  Remember the Cotton Bowl, 2003, 2004, and 2008 very well.

My #1 choice was Miami, but this was a very close #2 choice.  Anybody else (that was realistically possible) would've been disappointing to me.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Laughing Hog on December 07, 2014, 07:05:54 pm
He was right, you clearly don't get it. This last post just dug the hole deeper. Both teams could 0 - 10 and if we are playing texass, then it is vitally important............ to both teams. Tuck Fexass till the day I die.

I'm very nearly 40 years old, been to plenty of SWC games. Raised by my grandparents and was banned from wearing anything orange, period. I fully understand the hatred for Texas, don't think I don't.  I've went out of my way to not get stationed in Texas in my career due to my dislike for the proximity to Austin.

But to get excited about two 6-6 teams like it was the Super Bowl? I wanna kick the crap out of them just as much as the next guy.

And I don't like people saying you have to be 50 to remember the rivalry. I remember it. And it's no  longer a rivalry because we don't play each other but once every 10 years. To be a rivalry, you have to play each other more often than once a decade.

Großer Kriegschwein

reddogjcss

I meant nothing by over 50 and so glad so many no matter the age feel same way!
My bad for offending anyone by the over 50!

RazorChuck

I do get and I cannot wait to crush the shorthorns, this is more than I expected after the screw job at the Tigers of John Bible U.

HoopS

You don't have to get excited about it. But the least you could do is let those of us who are excited enjoy. Some of you guys get your panties in a wad when others bring playing them up. I never understand why some of you feel the need to stamp out excitement.

RazorChuck

Quote from: HoopS on December 07, 2014, 07:26:37 pm
You don't have to get excited about it. But the least you could do is let those of us who are excited enjoy. Some of you guys get your panties in a wad when others bring playing them up. I never understand why some of you feel the need to stamp out excitement.

It does not matter what they think, there are those of us who will love beating Texass down again!

HogInFlorida

I'm 21 and I hate Texas more than anybody other than Florida. Couldn't have asked fit a better bowl matchup IMO
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Hogustus Caesar

I'm under 50. I remember the old SWC. Hating texas was a prerequisite to being a hog fan. The down horns sign was "the sign" before "throwing the a." It was, and still is "the rivalry" for the seasoned hog fans. My grandmother worked at a fayetteville hospital and she worked during game days. The stories of gentlemen being rushed to the er clutching their chests while having heart attacks, they were dressed in their razorback best...only asking what the score of the game was. She hated texas too. No team in the SEC can compare to the hatred of the burnt orange. O the memories.

For some reason I can't get the song out of my mind that the 1964? team sang on the way back to  Fayetteville after defeating the longhorns..."don't give a "darn" about the whole state of Texas."(keeping it clean) I bet Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Jerry Jones remember the words!
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

jrulz83

Arkansas is 21-56 all time vs Texas. Series have to be a bit less one sided for me to call it a rivalry.

If 50 years from now when y'all are dead and gone, I'm old like all you old guys, and Arkansas has played like 5 games against Texas it sill won't be a rivalry. It will just be 5 more times Arkansas has played (and hopefully beaten) Texas.

But if you think it's a rivalry game, then hey, go out there and do what you do, enjoy yourselves, just don't think everybody should share your excitement.

My thing is hatred for something gives it standing; ignoring it belittles it. But have fun hating Texas, you guys earned it for enduring the 1970s of Arkansas vs Texas rivalry series.

Greyhands

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 07, 2014, 05:58:51 pm
Playing Texas is huge to us! Texas has thrown their weight around for years and we still beat them and yes we lost to them also. They are like BAMA of today except arrogant bunch that has had the Lions share of money proceeds in every conference they ever been in.
I remember watching the games as a kid and they have been my arch enemy ever since!

I am 42 and the hate I have for the Longhorns is deep and dark....lol

HoopS

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 07, 2014, 07:36:24 pm
Arkansas is 21-56 all time vs Texas. Series have to be a bit less one sided for me to call it a rivalry.

If 50 years from now when y'all are dead and gone, I'm old like all you old guys, and Arkansas has played like 5 games against Texas it sill won't be a rivalry. It will just be 5 more times Arkansas has played (and hopefully beaten) Texas.

But if you think it's a rivalry game, then hey, go out there and do what you do, enjoy yourselves, just don't think everybody should share your excitement.

My thing is hatred for something gives it standing; ignoring it belittles it. But have fun hating Texas, you guys earned it for enduring the 1970s of Arkansas vs Texas rivalry series.
thanks.  Blaze on.

Athog

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 07, 2014, 05:58:51 pm

It means a lot to everyone not just 50 and older!!!!!

DoctorSusscrofa

For those who say the game isn't important but the practice is: why do you value practice at all if you value the game at zero?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

jrulz83

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 07, 2014, 07:43:58 pm
For those who say the game isn't important but the practice is: why do you value practice at all if you value the game at zero?

No game is valued at zero. I'm pretty sure nobody has said the game was at zero on the Fukuhama scale.

Boarmonger

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 07, 2014, 07:01:52 pm
Do i enjoy posing questions and then answering them myself? I do

Did the opponent really matter when you are 6-6?  No, just happy to get the extra practice and involved in the bowl discussion

Absolutely...ECU anyone?

Pig Worshipper

I'm an old-timer, too, but I can't get too excited about this match-up. Texas, a once proud program is in disarray and has been in decline for a long, long time.
We've moved on and play in a conference with several football programs that have been superior to Texas for quite a while. The sad truth is they are just a mediocre program from a mediocre conference.

James Street or Earl Campbell or even Vince Young ain't walkin' through that door, gentlemen. That said, I hope we beat the he!! out of Texas and make great use of the bowl practices.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 07, 2014, 07:36:24 pm

Wow, what a [CENSORED] of a post.

bp

older boar

Jr in high school for 69 game. Went outside & cried like a baby when it was over (only game I ever shed tears over). UT has broken my heart several times & I will not allow myself to take a win over them as a given & will not take it for granted or as trivial if it happens. This is a good match up and should be a hard fought low scoring defensive struggle. Both teams are trying to finish with a win to build towards better times next year. Both teams will play hard because they are Ark & TX & not because of any rivalry that might have existed before anyone on the rosters started playing organized ball. I believe we match up well with any 8 & 4 (or lower) team in the country and while I fully expect us to win I will not take it as a given.

hoglady

For a lower tier bowl could you ask for a better match up?
Is there another team we could have played that would garner as much attention for the program?
It can't hurt for some positive history of our SWC days to be talked about today.
We were a top tier program for many years - considered an elite.
This is just a win - win scenario for us.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ChicoHog

I am one of the old guys and I used to hate Texas back in the day but over the last 10 years or so I lost my hate for them and transferred it to UF, Oregon, Auburn and now A&M since they joined the SEC.  I am looking forward to the game.  Thinking about going but flights are so expensive now it's going to be tough to do it.  Think I will wait 'til next year and hopefully and high profile bowl game. 

Ex-Trumpet

Those that get it don't care if texas hates us as much as we hate texas...their opinion really couldn't mean much less.  Rivalry?  Of course not...but the hatred is still the same. 

We hate them because they are texas.  And beating them used to be the biggest thing possible.  If we lost every game but beat texas, it would have been about like winning all BUT texas.  Well, the debate is still out...

If you don't get it, that's fine...just sit back, laugh, and point while those of us that do wallow in the rapturous bliss of getting the opportunity to beat the living darn out of texas!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?