Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema will be the coach at Arkansas next year

Started by Lanny, December 03, 2014, 06:08:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Melorock089

MJ2

CBB needs to do what is right for him.   Wouldn't want him to stay if he didn't want to stay, but I certainly don't think he deserves a raise  yet.   

ricepig

He won't be at Nebraska.
@schadjoe: Nebraska has hired not only an excellent coach in Mike Riley, but one of the most approachable, level-headed, likable coaches on the planet

moses_007

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 03, 2014, 06:48:21 pm
I would find it very hard to believe CBB would leave the U of A when we are seemingly so close to being in contention for the SEC Championship.
Have you been dreaming?  Although we were better this season, we weren't even close to competing for the SEC championship.

opineonswine

forrest city joe

Quote from: moses_007 on December 04, 2014, 11:46:21 am
Have you been dreaming?  Although we were better this season, we weren't even close to competing for the SEC championship.
If we can get Braxton Miller here. we will contend for an SEC championship next season.we are a playmaker at QB and WR from being right in the mix.

pitbull1

With what was left him that 1st year, and the way he was supported by some of the fans, were lucky he sticks around.  Had I been CBB, I might have told someone where to go.  Be glad he has a good heart and a forgiving soul......... :razorback:

Hoggie17

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 04, 2014, 11:55:43 am
If we can get Braxton Miller here. we will contend for an SEC championship next season.we are a playmaker at QB and WR from being right in the mix.
We win the SEC championship, we will make to final 4. Braxton Miller please to Arkansas.

toshortrock

R we starting to have this Houston Nutt think again,Hope not
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Dropkick

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 04, 2014, 08:45:44 am
LOL. Thx for giving me the first laugh of my day.
Hows your Tiger basketball team doing?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 03, 2014, 07:32:36 pm
Is that Glade, NM? Is that near good skiing or good horse racing. Gotta figure out what season to visit. :)

Any season except the middle of summer in the central to southern parts.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 04, 2014, 09:14:04 am
Jimmy is only one of 3 coaches to ever win both a collegiate national championship(s) and NFL Super Bowl(s).    All three have ties to the You of A (as either players or coaches or both).........

Jimmy, Barry and Pete. Correct?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 04, 2014, 02:30:06 pm
Jimmy, Barry and Pete. Correct?
Yep... Jimmy & Barry (players and coaches) in the late 50's-60's and Pete was a Holtz assistant coach in the 70's...

Arkansas is destined for at least, another NC!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hawgzinbowlz

Bret will remain at Arkansas until we are respectably successful. He has committed to guiding us to a win in the SECCG. Barring some unusual circumstances he will remain until he is close to that commitment. Winning the SEC West, and a trip to Atlanta, may be close enough. We are two or three recruiting classes away.
If he leaves prior to success at Arkansas his/our lack of success would follow his career.
He has no reason to leave until he is successful at Arkansas. CBBs leaving so much money on the table when he arrived (to leave more money for assistants) shows, clearly that he's satisfied that his $3.2 million is enough to buy groceries and pay the bills. He's in it for the challenge of proving he can bring an SEC Championship to Fayetteville. He has a big enough ego to make it happen.
He's taken on the challenge of turning us around and, again, barring some unusual occurrence, he will see that challenge through.
Will CBB leave someday? Possibly. Today, no.

" GO HOGS "

HF#1

Never made sense that he would leave.  He picked Arkansas, he wants to be here. Would make no sense for him to go back to the Big10 other than it would be easier to win there.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 04, 2014, 02:48:58 pm
Yep... Jimmy & Barry (players and coaches) in the late 50's-60's and Pete was a Holtz assistant coach in the 70's...

Arkansas is destined for at least, another NC!

I originally thought of Joe Gibbs but realized he came here as an assistant long after our NC.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 04, 2014, 03:04:48 pm
I originally thought of Joe Gibbs but realized he came here as an assistant long after our NC.

Gibbs didn't win a collegiate NC.... only a Super Bowl...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 04, 2014, 03:40:39 pm
Gibbs didn't win a collegiate NC.... only a Super Bowl...

That's why I rethought it. I realized he wasn't here when we did it.

GuvHog

I've never thought Bret would consider going to Nebraska, that wouldn't make any sense. However if the Iowa Hawkeye Football HC job comes open, things may get interesting here on Monday Morning Quarterback. I'm glad he didn't consider going to Nebraska though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dropkick

Good point, I think if he goes back to big10 it will be to go home to Iowa. Hopefully by then this will seem like home too.

hoglady

My main question is - why is his buy out so low on his end and so high on ours?
I was surprised it's only 2.5 million.
Honest question here - I don't want Beliema to leave, we would be a decade recovering from that. That's why it concerned me his end of the buy out is so low.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on December 05, 2014, 05:36:47 pm
My main question is - why is his buy out so low on his end and so high on ours?
I was surprised it's only 2.5 million.
Honest question here - I don't want Beliema to leave, we would be a decade recovering from that. That's why it concerned me his end of the buy out is so low.

It's what it took to do the deal. He wanted time to right the ship, and a cheap buyout if it wasn't doable.

Chief Mac

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2014, 05:39:09 pm
It's what it took to do the deal. He wanted time to right the ship, and a cheap buyout if it wasn't doable.

How else do you hire a three time Big ten champion coach to a fix a dumpster fire?   Coaches are hired to be fired, Bielema had to cover his six
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

hoglady

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 06, 2014, 06:00:58 am
How else do you hire a three time Big ten champion coach to a fix a dumpster fire?   Coaches are hired to be fired, Bielema had to cover his six

I understand that - the huge buyout if fired.
I just wish it was huge on his end, too.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Chief Mac

Quote from: hoglady on December 06, 2014, 06:06:22 am
I understand that - the huge buyout if fired.
I just wish it was huge on his end, too.

That is the only part of his contract that they need to touch right now. Extend him a year and increase the buyout on his end. Not gonna happen, but it'd be nice

870hogfan

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 04, 2014, 08:45:44 am
LOL. Thx for giving me the first laugh of my day.

Thx for confirming what I already suspected about your character.  Your word is about as valuable as your insight.

The_Iceman

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 06, 2014, 06:08:55 am
That is the only part of his contract that they need to touch right now. Extend him a year and increase the buyout on his end. Not gonna happen, but it'd be nice

You're right, no hope of fixing that unless BB wants to. We need him more than he actually needs us. Therefore the contract negotiations favors him. That was why I opined that when an opening is rumored to be offered it would be wise to say no as fast as possible unless he really wants to go. Fans have a right to be a little nervous about somebody raiding us when the buyout is low. If the buyout was high the rumors don't bother us much. But they spread fast and easy if the buyout is low.
Any way, BB chose to stay this time and I'm happy he did. We don't need another change for at least 3-5 years if we can avoid it. Five to eight years of stability will do wonders for the program. I hope he stays at least that long and continues to upgrade the Hogs.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Pig In The City

He won't go anywhere for at least two more years.  He wants to bring a championship here so he will do that in the next two or three years.  When he does, too many people are going to come calling.

oldhawg

Bielema stayed at Wisconsin for seven years.  Why do people think he is already contemplating his next job?  I think that he is looking for a place he likes, and wants to stay there a long time. The University of Arkansas has a lot to offer, and I believe Bielema will be there a long time. 

Dropkick

The Florida / McIlwain deal proves a huge buyout is just a false sense of security anyway. If they want to leave they will find a way.

zane

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 11, 2014, 11:58:19 am
Just found some new material for the next Robert Shields post.

It will be a race on Monday!
RIP LSUfan