norvell

Started by coolhog, January 16, 2015, 04:47:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

coolhog

The_Boot_stops_here

SwineGrind

He better learn those core values.

Dwight_K_Shrute

NBD.  It wasn't like he was a rock star OC or even thought of as an up and comer.  I'd rather have a solid OC from a non P5 than a guy that was just fired from OU. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogcard1964

Pork Twain

January 16, 2015, 06:37:25 pm #5 Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:57:55 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 16, 2015, 06:09:26 pm
NBD.  It wasn't like he was a rock star OC or even thought of as an up and comer.  I'd rather have a solid OC from a non P5 than a guy that was just fired from OU. 
No, he was a very good option.  No reason to downgrade every coach that does not come here.

Seriously people...come on...  I am sure we will love whoever we sign but this guy gets it done in a big way.

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 15, 2015, 08:15:34 pm
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208803514

Norvell owns the unique distinction of coaching in both the Super Bowl and the BCS National Championship Game. He was promoted to Oklahoma’s co-offensive coordinator on Dec. 13, 2010.

Recognized by ESPN.com as one of the top 10 assistant coaches in the Big 12 in February 2014.

Three of the top four players on Oklahoma’s all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell’s direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202).

Three players are tied for the OU single-game record of 15 receptions. All three – Broyles, Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders – accomplished the feat with Norvell as their position coach.

Helped coordinate a 2013 Oklahoma offense that registered its best rushing average (223.9 ypg) since 1991. In addition, four different OU wideouts registered at least one 100-yard receiving game in 2013, led All-Big 12 Second Team receiver, Jalen Saunders.

Has also played an integral role in the rapid development of Sterling Shepard, who owns a combined 89 catches for 1,161 yards (13.0 avg.) and nine TD catches in his first two seasons with the Sooners.

Stills accumulated 204 catches for 2,594 yards (12.2 avg.) with 24 TDs during three years under Norvell, the third-highest reception total in Sooners’ history. Stills led all NFL pass catchers with a 20.0 yards-per-catch average as a rookie with the New Orleans Saints in 2013 after shattering OU’s freshman receiving records in 2010.

Oklahoma finished 2012 regular season fifth in the nation in passing offense (336.5 ypg) as five different receivers produced a total of 11 100-yard receiving games. The Sooners produced a trio of WRs with three 100-yard performances in a single game vs. Oklahoma State (11/24/12), a first in school history.

Ryan Broyles became the all-time NCAA career receptions leader in 2011 despite only playing in nine games. The Biletnikoff finalist and All-American still had the third-best season in Oklahoma history with his 83 receptions for 1,157 yards and 10 TDs. Broyles set eight major Oklahoma receiving records en route to All-America status and the finals of the Biletnikoff Award in 2010.

Norvell’s 2009 group was led by Broyles who finished the year No. 1 at OU for receptions in a season (89) and TDs in a season (15) and No. 3 for yards in a season (1,120). He led the Big 12 in TD receptions.

Prior to OU, Norvell spent 21 years as a coach with Iowa, Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders and Nebraska. He joined Oklahoma after serving as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for UCLA.

In 2007, UCLA beat two Top 10 teams and made the Las Vegas Bowl.

In 2006, Nebraska won the Big 12 North and was one of two schools to rank in the top 25 in rushing, passing, total and scoring offense. QB Zac Taylor was the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, setting school records with 3,197 passing yards, 26 TDs and 3,165 total yards.

In 2004, Norvell helped the Husker QBs post their best passing average (186.9 ypg) since 1976.

Helped the Oakland Raiders earn a spot in Super Bowl XXXVII. Thanks to Norvell and 2002 NFL MVP QB Rich Gannon, the Raiders’ passing attack led the NFL by averaging 279.7 ypg.

Served as WRs coach for the Indianapolis Colts (1998-01), working with the passing game and tutoring All-Pro Marvin Harrison, who hauled in 109 catches for 1,524 yards and 15 TDs in 2001.

In 2002, Harrison became the only player in NFL history with four consecutive 100-catch seasons. Under Norvell, Harrison had 385 receptions for 5,376 yards and 48 TDs.

Authored Complete Wide Receiver, a book published in 2012.

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

younghog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 16, 2015, 06:09:26 pm

I'm with you and never saw all the love.. OU has not been all that with him coaching WR.. So I'm waiting for better fish

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

AugustaHog

I didn't buy him as our play caller.  I think he can recruit and coach WRs pretty well, but past that and I wasn't terribly comfortable. 

LRHawg

Surprised Texas' ego didn't get in the way of hiring an OU castoff ::hornsdown::

hawgwash

Quote from: LRHawg on January 16, 2015, 08:47:34 pm
Surprised Texas' ego didn't get in the way of hiring an OU castoff ::hornsdown::
And Auburn hired a coach from Alabama.  Isaiah 11:6

26.2Hog

Everyone in Oklahoma packs heat.

Has he seen Charlie's rules yet?

jackflash

This a move to help Texas recruit Texas. Guess Strong needs some help. Texas A&M must be kicking his butt pretty good. Reckon Baylor hurting him that bad.

26.2Hog

Quote from: jackflash on January 16, 2015, 09:08:53 pm
This a move to help Texas recruit Texas. Guess Strong needs some help. Texas A&M must be kicking his butt pretty good. Reckon Baylor hurting him that bad.

Exactly. Texas hiring a guy from OU to help them recruit Texas.

Oh the irony.

JackJohnson

Quote from: coolhog on January 16, 2015, 04:47:42 pm
Goes to texas

I thinks it's safe to say he wasn't offered the OC job here if he took the WR job there so CBB must be close to narrowing it down

thebignasty

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 16, 2015, 09:15:59 pm
I thinks it's safe to say he wasn't offered the OC job here if he took the WR job there so CBB must be close to narrowing it down

That was my take.