Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

According to Jim Harris

Started by Lake City Hog, January 15, 2015, 06:55:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgmasta

Norvell/weinke together is the only way I would want that.

Mike_e

If we do hire Weinke what's the over/under on dillweeds calling him 'high school' his first day on the job?

:)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Mike_e on January 16, 2015, 06:05:36 am
If we do hire Weinke what's the over/under on dillweeds calling him 'high school' his first day on the job?

Not touching that bet.

Would love to get him and Norvell
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 16, 2015, 01:15:31 am
"Recognized by ESPN.com as one of the top 10 assistant coaches in the Big 12"

for some reason this struck me as funny

Do you get a bigger trophy for that?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DoctorSusscrofa

What are the chances that athletes and coaches know they will be teased in the locker room until they perform in a way that ends the teasing? I bet every rookie coach, every rookie player gets teased this way in the locker room or gym during their careers. Pro rookies used to be teased by their new teammates in the NFL and probably still are.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 16, 2015, 08:42:24 am
What are the chances that athletes and coaches know they will be teased in the locker room until they perform in a way that ends the teasing? I bet every rookie coach, every rookie player gets teased this way in the locker room or gym during their careers. Pro rookies used to be teased by their new teammates in the NFL and probably still are.

It was a crack at Reggie Herring and the rest who called Gus "high school" back when he was hired..

The_Iceman

Since Weinke also helped train NFL QB's in the offseason and also won a Heisman trophy, I guess they could also call him "NFL", "Heisman", or I guess "Coach".

cmiller01

Norvell - WR
Weinke - QBs
R. Smith - LBs
OC - ???

RedyorNot

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 15, 2015, 08:15:34 pm
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208803514

Norvell owns the unique distinction of coaching in both the Super Bowl and the BCS National Championship Game. He was promoted to Oklahoma's co-offensive coordinator on Dec. 13, 2010.

Recognized by ESPN.com as one of the top 10 assistant coaches in the Big 12 in February 2014.

Three of the top four players on Oklahoma's all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell's direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202).

Three players are tied for the OU single-game record of 15 receptions. All three – Broyles, Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders – accomplished the feat with Norvell as their position coach.

Helped coordinate a 2013 Oklahoma offense that registered its best rushing average (223.9 ypg) since 1991. In addition, four different OU wideouts registered at least one 100-yard receiving game in 2013, led All-Big 12 Second Team receiver, Jalen Saunders.

Has also played an integral role in the rapid development of Sterling Shepard, who owns a combined 89 catches for 1,161 yards (13.0 avg.) and nine TD catches in his first two seasons with the Sooners.

Stills accumulated 204 catches for 2,594 yards (12.2 avg.) with 24 TDs during three years under Norvell, the third-highest reception total in Sooners' history. Stills led all NFL pass catchers with a 20.0 yards-per-catch average as a rookie with the New Orleans Saints in 2013 after shattering OU's freshman receiving records in 2010.

Oklahoma finished 2012 regular season fifth in the nation in passing offense (336.5 ypg) as five different receivers produced a total of 11 100-yard receiving games. The Sooners produced a trio of WRs with three 100-yard performances in a single game vs. Oklahoma State (11/24/12), a first in school history.

Ryan Broyles became the all-time NCAA career receptions leader in 2011 despite only playing in nine games. The Biletnikoff finalist and All-American still had the third-best season in Oklahoma history with his 83 receptions for 1,157 yards and 10 TDs. Broyles set eight major Oklahoma receiving records en route to All-America status and the finals of the Biletnikoff Award in 2010.

Norvell's 2009 group was led by Broyles who finished the year No. 1 at OU for receptions in a season (89) and TDs in a season (15) and No. 3 for yards in a season (1,120). He led the Big 12 in TD receptions.

Prior to OU, Norvell spent 21 years as a coach with Iowa, Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders and Nebraska. He joined Oklahoma after serving as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for UCLA.

In 2007, UCLA beat two Top 10 teams and made the Las Vegas Bowl.

In 2006, Nebraska won the Big 12 North and was one of two schools to rank in the top 25 in rushing, passing, total and scoring offense. QB Zac Taylor was the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, setting school records with 3,197 passing yards, 26 TDs and 3,165 total yards.

In 2004, Norvell helped the Husker QBs post their best passing average (186.9 ypg) since 1976.

Helped the Oakland Raiders earn a spot in Super Bowl XXXVII. Thanks to Norvell and 2002 NFL MVP QB Rich Gannon, the Raiders' passing attack led the NFL by averaging 279.7 ypg.

Served as WRs coach for the Indianapolis Colts (1998-01), working with the passing game and tutoring All-Pro Marvin Harrison, who hauled in 109 catches for 1,524 yards and 15 TDs in 2001.

In 2002, Harrison became the only player in NFL history with four consecutive 100-catch seasons. Under Norvell, Harrison had 385 receptions for 5,376 yards and 48 TDs.

Authored Complete Wide Receiver, a book published in 2012.

Boom.

RedyorNot

Quote from: Doug on January 15, 2015, 09:42:04 pm
I'm indifferent about Norvell, but if he comes on, someone NEEDS to teach him how to use The Twitter correctly.

http://www.ngngsports.com/2012/02/and-heres-oklahoma-coach-jay-norvell-offering-a-recruit-a-full-scholarship-on-twitter.html

LMAO! That is hysterical! Good thing he didn't have a mistress!

RedRock

I can't listen to Trey Schapp.  It's painful.

urkillnmesmalls

I don't know enough about either one to comment about their history, other than what's been posted in this thread.  Thanks to those who contributed.  I do have a comment based on what is here. 

I would like to see us with someone who is a proven play caller.  I know that execution is still paramount and that every play can look great or bad based on that aspect, but calling a full game takes creativity and instinct.  Some coordinators seem to possess that, and some don't.  Does Norvell have a track record of actually calling plays in the programs where he has served the OC role?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hawg Life

Quote from: cmiller01 on January 16, 2015, 09:07:59 am
Norvell - WR
Weinke - QBs
R. Smith - LBs
OC - ???

Norvell is OC or nothing..

Wildhog

January 16, 2015, 10:01:26 am #63 Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:12:39 am by Wildhog
Quote from: RedRock on January 16, 2015, 09:21:19 am
I can't listen to Trey Schapp.  It's painful.

At least he's better than Jimmy B.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on January 16, 2015, 09:01:39 am
It was a crack at Reggie Herring and the rest who called Gus "high school" back when he was hired..

Yes, it was. And being called high school isn't really much more than teasing someone. Some people do it mercilessly and it may even be cruel. But I bet Malzahn and just about every athlete and coach has had it done to them and they probably take it less seriously than their fans do.

GuvHog

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on January 16, 2015, 09:01:39 am

Reggie considered Gus being hired as OC straight out of High School an insult and rightfully so. Reggie worked for years in the college ranks as a position coach to earn his promotion to DC while Gus was handed the OC job on a silver platter the day he enter the college coaching ranks. All of the offensive position coaches took it as an insult too.

Back on subject, IMHO Weinke and Norvell would both be good hires.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on January 15, 2015, 07:22:13 pm
I have a question- why is Jay Norvell a good hire? I am not being cantankerous I just do not know enough about him. Didn't he get fired at Oklahoma? Just curious.

Because he's a name fans have heard of. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Wildhog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 16, 2015, 10:47:40 am
Because he's a name fans have heard of. 

Kind of my feelings, too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 10:34:09 am
Reggie considered Gus being hired as OC straight out of High School an insult and rightfully so. Reggie worked for years in the college ranks as a position coach to earn his promotion to DC while Gus was handed the OC job on a silver platter the day he enter the college coaching ranks. All of the offensive position coaches took it as an insult too.

Really?  Think about what you just wrote Guv.  Herring has NO SAY over anyone who was hired or fired from that staff.  His job was to serve as DC.  Whatever "insult" it was to him is something he should have gotten over for the betterment of the team and its progress.  You play the hand with the cards you're dealt, and if he didn't like that...then tough crap, find another place to coach. 

But...it's the fact that Nutt felt the same way and fostered it that made it grow into something.  With his insecurities, he went 180 degrees from the direction he should have taken, and sabotaged the whole thing. 

None of those coaches were being paid to determine whether or not they were insulted.  That's just silly.  The fact that they ganged up on anyone just showed they were being led by a sad, pathetic person with no moral fiber. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Like him or not Gus has proven he is 10x's the coach as Reggie Herring.  It's not rightfully so that Reggie considered it an insult.  If Herring didn't like it his fat bald a** could have left at any time.  Reggie was a blowhard.  If you envy other people's success that's more a reflection on you and your shortcomings.  Real men look at that and wonder what can I be doing better or up their game.  They don't resort to name calling.  He was over projecting because it made him feel bad about himself awwww poor Reggie.  Also no matter what the situation you don't disrespect a coach in front of players or show any ill will.  It divides the team weakens the coaching staff as a whole.  It's setting a bad example and these coaches set the example for the players.

Meanwhile fast forward 8 years and everyone knows who Gus Malzahn in and I can't tell you where Reggie Herring is without the help of Google and Wikipedia.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

gawntrail

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 16, 2015, 10:49:35 am
Really?  Think about what you just wrote Guv.  Herring has NO SAY over anyone who was hired or fired from that staff.  His job was to serve as DC.  Whatever "insult" it was to him is something he should have gotten over for the betterment of the team and its progress.  You play the hand with the cards you're dealt, and if he didn't like that...then tough crap, find another place to coach. 

But...it's the fact that Nutt felt the same way and fostered it that made it grow into something.  With his insecurities, he went 180 degrees from the direction he should have taken, and sabotaged the whole thing. 

None of those coaches were being paid to determine whether or not they were insulted.  That's just silly.  The fact that they ganged up on anyone just showed they were being led by a sad, pathetic person with no moral fiber.

Gus going to Tulsa and putting up monster numbers proves he deserved a shot.  Like him or not, he's a brilliant offensive mind. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: gawntrail on January 16, 2015, 11:00:06 am
Gus going to Tulsa and putting up monster numbers proves he deserved a shot.  Like him or not, he's a brilliant offensive mind.

I think it's funny that you reference Tulsa, when he just lost the 2013 NC by such a narrow margin as a HC.  I guess maybe you're suggesting he can do it with or without paying players?   ;)

There's a lot of dislike and hatred for GM, but it's hard to argue his success to this point even if the argument is made that he's had good fortune fall in his lap.  Plenty of coaches have had similar opportunities and still managed to screw it up. 

It will be interesting to see if he can sustain it.  To me, he and Muschamp will be like oil and water, and it seems to go against everything Malzahn at least professes to foster with regard to his faith etc.  It doesn't seem like a match, but I guess we'll see.  I could see a scenario where GM insists that Muschamp not curse, and us seeing Muschamp's head explode on live TV at some point in the season. 

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: gawntrail on January 16, 2015, 11:00:06 am

And this is my point. Like him or not Gus is a head coach in the SEC. Reggie Herring is STILL a LB coach. HDN let the name calling go on. CBB ain't gonna let that mischief go on. Collins celebrated 1 time by himself in 2 yrs. Ever since then he's handed the ball to the ref everytime he's touched the ball. CBB is all about discipline and respect(unless you're  ::hornsdown::) I don't see name calling going on when he's preaching about being family and looking for the right fit.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 16, 2015, 11:07:45 am
I think it's funny that you reference Tulsa, when he just lost the 2013 NC by such a narrow margin as a HC.  I guess maybe you're suggesting he can do it with or without paying players?   ;)

There's a lot of dislike and hatred for GM, but it's hard to argue his success to this point even if the argument is made that he's had good fortune fall in his lap.  Plenty of coaches have had similar opportunities and still managed to screw it up. 

It will be interesting to see if he can sustain it.  To me, he and Muschamp will be like oil and water, and it seems to go against everything Malzahn at least professes to foster with regard to his faith etc.  It doesn't seem like a match, but I guess we'll see.  I could see a scenario where GM insists that Muschamp not curse, and us seeing Muschamp's head explode on live TV at some point in the season. 

ESPN 30 For 30. 'Auburn & the Corruption of Gus Malzahn'

DoctorSusscrofa

Fighting over whether Reggie or Gus felt slighted is kind of stupid. Calling someone high school is juvenile, but feeling hurt over a mild insult is dumb. Especially whe the people who are most hurt over it aren't even Gus and Reggie.

Kevin

So much for all for one, one for all.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

This is the time to relax and wait.   
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 16, 2015, 11:17:35 am
ESPN 30 For 30. 'Auburn & the Corruption of Gus Malzahn'

LOL  I like it.  In an incredible display of irony, we learn that Malzahn was FORCED to hire Muschamp.  The Auburn boosters were unhappy that GM didn't like them paying players in cash, and that they didn't like his suggestion of gift cards.  That propelled them to a diabolical plan to bring Muschamp in, who agreed up front to "letting them pay players in gold for all he cares" so he could become the next figure head coach at Auburn when Malzahn's fall from grace is complete.   

I like it.  It plays out really well.  All we need is a heralded player whose shoes don't fit well, and a creative nickname for Muschamp that's comparable to "high school" and we're off to a great start.   ;D 

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: cmiller01 on January 16, 2015, 09:07:59 am
Norvell - WR
Weinke - QBs
R. Smith - LBs
OC - ???

We're not gonna have 6 offensive coaches and 3 defensive. We will hire another defensive guy

Mike Irwin

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 16, 2015, 11:27:40 am
Fighting over whether Reggie or Gus felt slighted is kind of stupid. Calling someone high school is juvenile, but feeling hurt over a mild insult is dumb. Especially whe the people who are most hurt over it aren't even Gus and Reggie.
The coaches on that staff were full of it for one reason or another. The exception was the QB coach Alex Woods who was a decent guy. Like so many others Woods was used by Houston Nutt and thrown onto a trash pile when his purpose had been served

younghog

GO HOGS

gawntrail

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 16, 2015, 11:07:45 am

I didn't suggest anything.  I said based on the results he had at Tulsa, it stood to reason he deserved a chance at the next level. 

Boarmonger

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 16, 2015, 11:42:13 am
The coaches on that staff were full of it for one reason or another. The exception was the QB coach Alex Woods who was a decent guy. Like so many others Woods was used by Houston Nutt and thrown onto a trash pile when his purpose had been served

Way off topic and should be in its own thread but this makes me wonder what happened between HDN and Joe Ferguson.  I always wondered why he was there only a year.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: gawntrail on January 16, 2015, 11:47:02 am
I didn't suggest anything.  I said based on the results he had at Tulsa, it stood to reason he deserved a chance at the next level.

By the same token, I doubt Herring had any experience with being a head coach even on a HS level, much less one as successful as Malzahn had.  Like him or hate him, his principles are being used at every level of football as we speak, which is pretty incredible when you think about it.  I know most of them are recycled philosophies, but he's managed to inject them with enough wrinkles and the HUNH philosophy that has made them even more effective. 

I'd go so far as to suggest that plucking dominant HS coaches will be a much more common practice now, with what GM has managed to do. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Boarmonger on January 16, 2015, 11:47:44 am
Way off topic and should be in its own thread but this makes me wonder what happened between HDN and Joe Ferguson.  I always wondered why he was there only a year.

I thought that was health related with Ferguson.  Surely someone knows, but I thought Ferguson had a battle with Prostate cancer.  Not sure of the timeline though...

wildhogman

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 16, 2015, 10:54:07 am
Like him or not Gus has proven he is 10x's the coach as Reggie Herring.  It's not rightfully so that Reggie considered it an insult.  If Herring didn't like it his fat bald a** could have left at any time.  Reggie was a blowhard.  If you envy other people's success that's more a reflection on you and your shortcomings.  Real men look at that and wonder what can I be doing better or up their game.  They don't resort to name calling.  He was over projecting because it made him feel bad about himself awwww poor Reggie.  Also no matter what the situation you don't disrespect a coach in front of players or show any ill will.  It divides the team weakens the coaching staff as a whole.  It's setting a bad example and these coaches set the example for the players.

Meanwhile fast forward 8 years and everyone knows who Gus Malzahn in and I can't tell you where Reggie Herring is without the help of Google and Wikipedia.
I know who Gus is. He is the coach that took a team with top 10 finishes in recruiting and won ONE more game then CBB.  Lets see how he does after 10 years in the league as a HC before we put him on par with the elite coaches.  I mean think about,, as an actualy HEAD COACH even grass eating Miles as WON a Ntl Ch.  Though Gus did manage to lose, to the team that Oregon blew off the field like a Floridian hurricane, Only to get beat by a team that play hard and actually played tough defense. Sorry for the rant but idolation of Gus and Petrino just gets old.  Lets see if CBB can put together a great staff in year 3 and make some noise. And at the end of the day if he can avoid the pitfalls of our last 3 HC.  Nutter, Petrino, JLSmile. In the end, they all had problems and crashed and burned and hurt our program.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: wildhogman on January 16, 2015, 11:57:26 am
I know who Gus is. He is the coach that took a team with top 10 finishes in recruiting and won ONE more game then CBB.  Lets see how he does after 10 years in the league as a HC before we put him on par with the elite coaches.  I mean think about,, as an actualy HEAD COACH even grass eating Miles as WON a Ntl Ch.  Though Gus did manage to lose, to the team that Oregon blew off the field like a Floridian hurricane, Only to get beat by a team that play hard and actually played tough defense. Sorry for the rant but idolation of Gus and Petrino just gets old.  Lets see if CBB can put together a great staff in year 3 and make some noise. And at the end of the day if he can avoid the pitfalls of our last 3 HC.  Nutter, Petrino, JLSmile. In the end, they all had problems and crashed and burned and hurt our program.

Very good points across the board.  He has done a lot, but one thing he has not proven is that he can sustain success at a D1 CFB program.  There's a LOT more to that than coaching up kids to your system like he did in HS. 

With Auburn, I feel like we're just a day away from an ESPN ticker scroll that says they're under investigation for something.  If GM makes it out of there clean, he'll be about the first coach to do so.   

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: wildhogman on January 16, 2015, 11:57:26 am

My post had nothing to do with CBB vs Gus I'm a big fan of CBB and am glad he is here.  It was in response to Reggie Herring vs Gus.  It's called context.  It had nothing to do with BP JLS Nutt or anyone else except Gus and Reggie Herring and those are the only two coaches I mentioned in my post that refuted the fact that Reggie Herring was rightfully butt hurt.  Basically stating the coach RH thought was handed everything is now a well known HC and Reggie Herrings is????

It was in response to Guvhog absurd assumption and that was all not an indictment of, criticism of, or comment on any of UofA's current or past HC's.  Again context.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PLHawg

So what exactly does this Gus/Herring debate have to do with the original premise of the thread?  Got some serious ADD going on here!

PLHawg

So what exactly does this Gus/Herring debate have to do with the original premise of the thread?  Got some serious ADD going on here!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PLHawg on January 16, 2015, 12:32:41 pm

You can say that again.  Oh wait...   ;D

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PLHawg on January 16, 2015, 12:33:19 pm

Wenkie's lack of formal coaching experience in CFB.

26.2Hog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 16, 2015, 11:53:54 am
I thought that was health related with Ferguson.  Surely someone knows, but I thought Ferguson had a battle with Prostate cancer.  Not sure of the timeline though...

Joe Ferguson was the QB coach when Nutt arrived and was reluctantly retained by Nutt. He installed a number of plays to ramp up the offense when it started to stagnate under Nutt's tutelage in his 2nd or 3rd year.

Joe would suggest to Nutt that some of the new plays be called during games, but Nutt would keep running the same old stuff that wasn't working well.

I've been told that Nutt and Ferguson had a huge argument during halftime once, and that several assistants had to separate them to avoid a fistfight.  Joe couldn't take any more of Nutt and resigned at the end of the season.

Joe's health problems came a little later, when he was diagnosed with lymphoma, followed by leukemia.  Last I heard, he was well, and still living in Fayetteville.

Joe was a great Razorback who went on to start as a rookie in the NFL, and had 18 stellar seasons as a pro.

It's an old cliche, but true - Joe has forgotten more about football than Hootie will ever know.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 16, 2015, 01:06:43 pm
Joe Ferguson was the QB coach when Nutt arrived and was reluctantly retained by Nutt. He installed a number of plays to ramp up the offense when it started to stagnate under Nutt's tutelage in his 2nd or 3rd year.

Joe would suggest to Nutt that some of the new plays be called during games, but Nutt would keep running the same old stuff that wasn't working well.

I've been told that Nutt and Ferguson had a huge argument during halftime once, and that several assistants had to separate them to avoid a fistfight.  Joe couldn't take any more of Nutt and resigned at the end of the season.

Joe's health problems came a little later, when he was diagnosed with lymphoma, followed by leukemia.  Last I heard, he was well, and still living in Fayetteville.

Joe was a great Razorback who went on to start as a rookie in the NFL, and had 18 stellar seasons as a pro.

It's an old cliche, but true - Joe has forgotten more about football than Hootie will ever know.

Thanks for the info and update.  I think it would be hard for anyone to be around Nutt for every long without wanting to punch him.   ;D

BadHog

Quote from: PLHawg on January 16, 2015, 12:33:19 pm

This board has serious ADD issues especially when there is no information, no updates, nothing substantial to discuss and Hogvillians are chomping at the bit for something to talk about. ;D
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

That must be why Herring's career arc is so much more impressive than Gus's since then.

And I'm not a Gus fan.

Hogs-n-Roses

Weinke is interesting to me. We (as all schools) need a top QB developer. Sound passing philosophies. Weinke was all that as a player. I do remember him having an emphasis on the mental aspects and technique. Could be a steal for us.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 16, 2015, 01:06:43 pm

One of the biggest issues between Ferguson and Nutt was over Gary Brashears.
Brashears disappeared from voluntary team activites during the summer of his freshman year. When he showed back up in August he promptly failed the pre-season conditioning test.

In those days far fewer players stuck around during the summers. The pre-season conditioning test was used to figure out who was in shape and who wasn't prior to the first day of August Camp. Mostly it was the larger players who failed this test. Offensive and defensive linemen.

I never knew of a QB who failed it.

When Brashers failed the test Ferguson was more than annoyed. In an on camera interview he said that if a QB fails that test it gives every other player on the team an excuse to do the same.

Somebody in the media ( I think it was me) mentioned that Bashears was a true freshmen who was away from home for the first time. Should that be taken into consideration?

That was back during the days of the 1st Gulf War and I specifically remember Ferguson's answer to that question. He said, There are soldiers younger than him dying for their country in the Middle East. There is no excuse for the lack of leadership he is showing.

The next day Brashears snuck out of practice by going through a hole in the fence over on the Barnhill Arena side of the outdoor practice fields. He never came back.

Nutt blamed Ferguson for saying what he'd said about Brashears on TV. He wasn't exactly happy with me for running it. It was an early indication of things to come.

Cresthog

Quote from: Karma on January 16, 2015, 01:54:23 pm
That must be why Herring's career arc is so much more impressive than Gus's since then.

And I'm not a Gus fan.

Lol. The Guv.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!