Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

According to Jim Harris

Started by Lake City Hog, January 15, 2015, 06:55:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebop

What kind of offensive philosophy does Norvell use? I'm assuming he will be a run first, pro-style coordinator (which I like).

tophawg19

Weinke could be good under CBB . he would be limited early on. put the two, Norvell and weinke together and you have a great combo
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 15, 2015, 07:05:26 pm
Weinke could be good under CBB . he would be limited early on. put the two, Norvell and weinke together and you have a great combo

Weinke,  Norvell, and  Woodie would elevate this to a crazy good recruiting staff.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Seebs

Per Trey on DTS - Woodie is out - just repeating what was said.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Seebs on January 15, 2015, 07:15:24 pm
Per Trey on DTS - Woodie is out - just repeating what was said.

Could be because Smith will coach LB's, which would give is room to hire Weinke & Norvell.

jackflash

Norvell and Weinke I wouldn't mind that. If Smith the WR coach is actually gone. Would add to recruiting of TX and Fl. Adding the LB coach from FL would be great also.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I have a question- why is Jay Norvell a good hire? I am not being cantankerous I just do not know enough about him. Didn't he get fired at Oklahoma? Just curious.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

greenie

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 15, 2015, 07:17:33 pm

Could be because Smith will coach LB's, which would give is room to hire Weinke & Norvell.

Wow. Could Smith do that effectively?

jackflash

Did Trey say why and who was still being looked at?

grayhawg

greenie

Quote from: grayhawg on January 15, 2015, 07:27:46 pm
Absolutely.

Oh wait...we're talking about Robb Smith not Mike ... Right?

WADHOG

Quote from: greenie on January 15, 2015, 07:24:20 pm
Wow. Could Smith do that effectively?
He calls the defense, it behooves him IMO

DeltaBoy

We will have a great staff by Monday.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ldfergu

Quote from: greenie on January 15, 2015, 07:32:18 pm
Oh wait...we're talking about Robb Smith not Mike ... Right?

Obviously you're not a golfer

aloha_kid

Slight of hand ... anyone ever hear of Robb Smith and Arkansas before Bret hired him?  Yeah we have no idea who Bret is looking at.  He keeps these things close to the vest.

moonswine

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on January 15, 2015, 07:22:13 pm
I have a question- why is Jay Norvell a good hire? I am not being cantankerous I just do not know enough about him. Didn't he get fired at Oklahoma? Just curious.

Norvell was fired because Stoops wasn't going to fire himself.

tophawg19

Norvell was the O/C at Oklahoma last year. yeah the one that beat bama in the bowl game . he can run ground and pound or open up in a down field passing game .

Oliver

Quote from: moonswine on January 15, 2015, 07:35:31 pm
Norvell was fired because Stoops wasn't going to fire himself.

Or his brother Mike who was the real problem.  Norvell may have his problems but he was the fall guy for a terrible OU defense. 

greenie

Hogfaniam

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 15, 2015, 07:37:54 pm
Norvell was the O/C at Oklahoma last year. yeah the one that beat bama in the bowl game . he can run ground and pound or open up in a down field passing game .

He didn't call plays.  Heupel did.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jackflash

I think Oklahoma problems were on defense. I think Stoops should have made changes on the defensive staff

grayhawg

Norvell was co O/C with Heupel and Heupel called the plays.

kibster

Jim Harris is just reporting message board rumors.  Trying to get some traffic for his twitter account and his website.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

lefty08

As opposed to all the inside info on here. Yeah, let's not listen to Jim harris
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

SquidBilly

Norvell has been a WR coach and an OC.  Bring him in to do that and let Weinke coach QBs. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: kibster on January 15, 2015, 07:50:05 pm
Jim Harris is just reporting message board rumors.  Trying to get some traffic for his twitter account and his website.
That's nonsense. Jim Harris has been covering Hog football since the late 70's. From personal experience I can tell you that he's got sources all over Arkansas, in Texas and most of the other SEC states. He's not getting his information from a message board.

IBleedRazorbackRed

I can't believe that some people think we won't hire another defensive coach and we'll hire an extra offensive coach instead.

Ok wait, this is hogville, maybe I can

lefty08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 15, 2015, 07:56:29 pm
That's nonsense. Jim Harris has been covering Hog football since the late 70's. From personal experience I can tell you that he's got sources all over Arkansas, in Texas and most of the other SEC states. He's not getting his information from a message board.

Even if he we're, it's more intriguing that 95% of the stuff we see here. Ha
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

slim72315

I like norvell oc/Wr with weinke qb coach
That way our qb gets a lot of one on one
Coaching with coach not having to set game plan

Redbug

Norvell was Co-OC IN NAME ONLY...to receive more $$$$ with a  title. Josh Heupel CALLED ThE PLAYS, made the gameplan etc....

Norvell was only a OC @ Nebraska from 2004-2006 where he followed Bill Callahan from Oakland....I don't know if Callahan or Norvell called the plays but Nebraska went an underwhelming 22-15 during those 3 years....they ran the West Coast offense....so much for ground and pound....really so much for BAD offense period. Norvell moved to UCLA as OC in 2007 and finished 6-7 and was fired with the whole Karl Dorrell staff...meanwhile back in Lincoln Callahan and staff were fired.

So 28-22 record in 4 years as OC....not sure if he called plays at Nebraska...

Lots of recruiting HYPE at OU but little to no results other than a couple of home state legacies and a couple of transfers....

SO HOW EXACTLY IS THIS SUPPOSED TO MAKE US BETTER?

There are tons of WR coaches out there with more skins on the wall....anybody currently on staff is probably a better OC/playcaller....

The only thing I can see this guy has going for him is he's got IOWA connections....nothing else....

HogFoo

id love this duo. of weinke and norvell.  Talk about recruiting boost!  It seems like everytime in the past we were in on recruits and it was down to us and OU it was norvell who always closed the deal and wed lose.  We are on a lot this year that have OU as their pick. So imagine if we could get some of those CB's and safeties. Mbanasor or a couple of those other kids. that'd be awesome.

Also, if I remember correctly. Isnt weinke the coach at that IMG academy. the same one that froholdt played at this year along with the safety walkon?  Imagine that. There is our big time florida recruiter right there!  What does IMG have about 22 DI athletes on that team?   Man that would be awesome!  I'm very excited about that combo.

Hope it happens.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pork Twain

January 15, 2015, 08:15:34 pm #33 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:35:23 pm by Pork Twain
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208803514

Norvell owns the unique distinction of coaching in both the Super Bowl and the BCS National Championship Game. He was promoted to Oklahoma's co-offensive coordinator on Dec. 13, 2010.

Recognized by ESPN.com as one of the top 10 assistant coaches in the Big 12 in February 2014.

Three of the top four players on Oklahoma's all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell's direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202).

Three players are tied for the OU single-game record of 15 receptions. All three – Broyles, Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders – accomplished the feat with Norvell as their position coach.

Helped coordinate a 2013 Oklahoma offense that registered its best rushing average (223.9 ypg) since 1991. In addition, four different OU wideouts registered at least one 100-yard receiving game in 2013, led All-Big 12 Second Team receiver, Jalen Saunders.

Has also played an integral role in the rapid development of Sterling Shepard, who owns a combined 89 catches for 1,161 yards (13.0 avg.) and nine TD catches in his first two seasons with the Sooners.

Stills accumulated 204 catches for 2,594 yards (12.2 avg.) with 24 TDs during three years under Norvell, the third-highest reception total in Sooners' history. Stills led all NFL pass catchers with a 20.0 yards-per-catch average as a rookie with the New Orleans Saints in 2013 after shattering OU's freshman receiving records in 2010.

Oklahoma finished 2012 regular season fifth in the nation in passing offense (336.5 ypg) as five different receivers produced a total of 11 100-yard receiving games. The Sooners produced a trio of WRs with three 100-yard performances in a single game vs. Oklahoma State (11/24/12), a first in school history.

Ryan Broyles became the all-time NCAA career receptions leader in 2011 despite only playing in nine games. The Biletnikoff finalist and All-American still had the third-best season in Oklahoma history with his 83 receptions for 1,157 yards and 10 TDs. Broyles set eight major Oklahoma receiving records en route to All-America status and the finals of the Biletnikoff Award in 2010.

Norvell's 2009 group was led by Broyles who finished the year No. 1 at OU for receptions in a season (89) and TDs in a season (15) and No. 3 for yards in a season (1,120). He led the Big 12 in TD receptions.

Prior to OU, Norvell spent 21 years as a coach with Iowa, Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders and Nebraska. He joined Oklahoma after serving as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for UCLA.

In 2007, UCLA beat two Top 10 teams and made the Las Vegas Bowl.

In 2006, Nebraska won the Big 12 North and was one of two schools to rank in the top 25 in rushing, passing, total and scoring offense. QB Zac Taylor was the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, setting school records with 3,197 passing yards, 26 TDs and 3,165 total yards.

In 2004, Norvell helped the Husker QBs post their best passing average (186.9 ypg) since 1976.

Helped the Oakland Raiders earn a spot in Super Bowl XXXVII. Thanks to Norvell and 2002 NFL MVP QB Rich Gannon, the Raiders' passing attack led the NFL by averaging 279.7 ypg.

Served as WRs coach for the Indianapolis Colts (1998-01), working with the passing game and tutoring All-Pro Marvin Harrison, who hauled in 109 catches for 1,524 yards and 15 TDs in 2001.

In 2002, Harrison became the only player in NFL history with four consecutive 100-catch seasons. Under Norvell, Harrison had 385 receptions for 5,376 yards and 48 TDs.

Authored Complete Wide Receiver, a book published in 2012.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

tophawg19

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 15, 2015, 08:15:34 pm
redbug . read the bio , i think you'll see he can handle G & P , or a wide open passing game . He would be a big improvement for the WR's

Großer Kriegschwein

Norvell owns the unique distinction of coaching in both the Super Bowl and the BCS National Championship Game. He was promoted to Oklahoma's co-offensive coordinator on Dec. 13, 2010.

Recognized by ESPN.com as one of the top 10 assistant coaches in the Big 12 in February 2014.

Three of the top four players on Oklahoma's all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell's direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202).

Three players are tied for the OU single-game record of 15 receptions. All three – Broyles, Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders – accomplished the feat with Norvell as their position coach.

Helped coordinate a 2013 Oklahoma offense that registered its best rushing average (223.9 ypg) since 1991. In addition, four different OU wideouts registered at least one 100-yard receiving game in 2013, led All-Big 12 Second Team receiver, Jalen Saunders.

Has also played an integral role in the rapid development of Sterling Shepard, who owns a combined 89 catches for 1,161 yards (13.0 avg.) and nine TD catches in his first two seasons with the Sooners.

Stills accumulated 204 catches for 2,594 yards (12.2 avg.) with 24 TDs during three years under Norvell, the third-highest reception total in Sooners' history. Stills led all NFL pass catchers with a 20.0 yards-per-catch average as a rookie with the New Orleans Saints in 2013 after shattering OU's freshman receiving records in 2010.

Oklahoma finished 2012 regular season fifth in the nation in passing offense (336.5 ypg) as five different receivers produced a total of 11 100-yard receiving games. The Sooners produced a trio of WRs with three 100-yard performances in a single game vs. Oklahoma State (11/24/12), a first in school history.

Ryan Broyles became the all-time NCAA career receptions leader in 2011 despite only playing in nine games. The Biletnikoff finalist and All-American still had the third-best season in Oklahoma history with his 83 receptions for 1,157 yards and 10 TDs. Broyles set eight major Oklahoma receiving records en route to All-America status and the finals of the Biletnikoff Award in 2010.

Norvell's 2009 group was led by Broyles who finished the year No. 1 at OU for receptions in a season (89) and TDs in a season (15) and No. 3 for yards in a season (1,120). He led the Big 12 in TD receptions.

Prior to OU, Norvell spent 21 years as a coach with Iowa, Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders and Nebraska. He joined Oklahoma after serving as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for UCLA.

In 2007, UCLA beat two Top 10 teams and made the Las Vegas Bowl.

In 2006, Nebraska won the Big 12 North and was one of two schools to rank in the top 25 in rushing, passing, total and scoring offense. QB Zac Taylor was the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, setting school records with 3,197 passing yards, 26 TDs and 3,165 total yards.

In 2004, Norvell helped the Husker QBs post their best passing average (186.9 ypg) since 1976.

Helped the Oakland Raiders earn a spot in Super Bowl XXXVII. Thanks to Norvell and 2002 NFL MVP QB Rich Gannon, the Raiders' passing attack led the NFL by averaging 279.7 ypg.

Served as WRs coach for the Indianapolis Colts (1998-01), working with the passing game and tutoring All-Pro Marvin Harrison, who hauled in 109 catches for 1,524 yards and 15 TDs in 2001.

In 2002, Harrison became the only player in NFL history with four consecutive 100-catch seasons. Under Norvell, Harrison had 385 receptions for 5,376 yards and 48 TDs.

Authored Complete Wide Receiver, a book published in 2012.

Approved. Let CRSmith coach linebackers and bring in Weinke and Norvell, wait until next September, pop a beer, and watch the fireworks.
This is my non-signature signature.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Ok Thanks I was just wondering. Thanks.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Redbug

funny PR writeup....lost both the Super Bowl & MNC games...Had nothing to do with Rich Gannon as he'd been a Pro Bowl QB (199-2002) under Gruden the first 3 years. Norvell was the TE coach.

He recruited Stills and Shepard (OU lock).

...seemed to do a good job as WR coach under Kevin Wilson (OC) Heuple QB coach with Sam Bradford and Landry Jones passing the ball....

But their WR corps is a mess now....having both Stills (thru 2012) & Broyles (2011)....Norvell swung and missed since recruiting Stills in 2010 and Sheppard that would have come to OU for regardless who was recruiting /coaching him...couple transfers prolonged the downfall....but their WR corps is in worse shape than ours....all the Stoops fired him as a scapegoat is simply BS...same with Heupel....the QB and WR positions are not up to the OU standards of the previous dozen years....that's why they were let go....

Redbug

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 15, 2015, 08:24:08 pm
redbug . read the bio , i think you'll see he can handle G & P , or a wide open passing game . He would be a big improvement for the WR's

hey I live over here....He would be a MAJOR downgrade as an OC....we need someone who can actually call plays and develop QB's....

the bio is a nice PR piece....IF he was an all world recruiter/coach/playcaller/developer of talent....he'd STILL BE AT OU

You can't find anywhere in that bio where HE WAS IN CHARGE of the passing game/gameplan/developement except maybe partially @ Nebraska and UCLA, and both those were mediocre at best....

He MIGHT be a good WR coach....but his recruiting record is spotty considering he'd been coaching at a prolific passing offense led by others at a university with huge advantages over it's conference other than Texas....playing against big12 defenses...

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

WADHOG

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

rtr

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 15, 2015, 09:27:51 pm
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-offensive-coordinator-important-hire/

Not an SDS fan, but this popped up from yesterday. I'd say pretty even keel.
The passing too much argument doesn't really wash.  In several games the run game stalled in the second half.  That has to be fixed.

Now, Chaney did abandon the run on the last drive against Missouri.  Hogs still need balance and balance doesn't necessarily mean 50/50.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 15, 2015, 07:56:29 pm

Ditto.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Every football coach gets fired if he coaches long enough.  It goes with the job.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

ccroft88

Id say for a fact he has interest from Texas. Just started following a bunch on Twitter

[attachment deleted by admin]

redeye

January 15, 2015, 10:54:16 pm #46 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:07:35 pm by redeye
It may just be undue hype, but Norvell has a great reputation as a recruiter and the best thing is that he's been recruiting for a school we'd like to steal a few recruits from in future classes.  Having been fired from Oklahoma, I'm sure he'd love to stick it to the land thieves.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we need an offensive genius at Arkansas.  We wanna make 10 yards and then start working on the next 10.  Much of that offense is already in place.  What we need is someone who meshes well with what we already have, can improve the passing game and call plays.  If Norvell can do that, then I'll be happy.

Having said all that, if past hires under Bielema are any indication, Norvell is likely just a smoke screen.

HogsOfAnarchy

His termination from Oklahoma was a way for stoops to save his own butt. A lot like Malzahn did with his DC

Smokehouse

Quote from: Redbug on January 15, 2015, 08:02:31 pm
Norvell was Co-OC IN NAME ONLY...to receive more $$$$ with a  title. Josh Heupel CALLED ThE PLAYS, made the gameplan etc....

Norvell was only a OC @ Nebraska from 2004-2006 where he followed Bill Callahan from Oakland....I don't know if Callahan or Norvell called the plays but Nebraska went an underwhelming 22-15 during those 3 years....they ran the West Coast offense....so much for ground and pound....really so much for BAD offense period. Norvell moved to UCLA as OC in 2007 and finished 6-7 and was fired with the whole Karl Dorrell staff...meanwhile back in Lincoln Callahan and staff were fired.

So 28-22 record in 4 years as OC....not sure if he called plays at Nebraska...

Lots of recruiting HYPE at OU but little to no results other than a couple of home state legacies and a couple of transfers....

SO HOW EXACTLY IS THIS SUPPOSED TO MAKE US BETTER?

There are tons of WR coaches out there with more skins on the wall....anybody currently on staff is probably a better OC/playcaller....

The only thing I can see this guy has going for him is he's got IOWA connections....nothing else....

W-L records really tell a poor story when evaluating an OC.

I have no recollection of UCLA in 2007, but I do know that during Callahan's tenure the Huskers were fine on offense, they just couldn't stop anybody. All the Husker fans I know were thrilled with the Pelini hire at the time because they felt their offense was fine and he could come in and build a defense to go with it.

A quick look at total offense/points scored shows the Huskers were mediocre his first two seasons there but a top 10 offense in 2006. Clearly good at getting production from QBs as Taylor was Big 10 player of the year even when the rest of the offense wasn't clicking as well.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

PorkSoda

"Recognized by ESPN.com as one of the top 10 assistant coaches in the Big 12"

for some reason this struck me as funny
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.