Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock Game

Started by boatinporker, January 14, 2015, 05:41:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:11:31 pm
It's not off of the top of my head. Our best friends live just north of Baton Rouge and are "in the know" about LSU sports. My wife has family members in Tennessee.

Let me guess your wife's family in TN know someone that was formerly on their Board of Trustees!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

This issue is dead till the State steps up and builds a new WMS or remodels the one we got.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 16, 2015, 01:35:14 pm
Knoxville is the third-largest city/metro area in Tennessee.
Knoxville is 2.5 hours from the second-largest city.metro area (Nashville) and 6 hours from the largest city/metro area (Memphis) yet Neyland stadium doesn't seem to have much trouble getting 100,000 people in on game day.

NWA is the second-largest city/metro area in Arkansas.
NWA is 3 hours from the largest city/metro area in Arkansas and 45 minutes away from the third-largest city/metro area in Arkansas.

Hog fans need to quit making excuses.

Knoxville also has a 1 million+ in their metro and well over 2mil+ in the east Tennessee region alone that are under 2 hours away. That's 2/3rds the population of the entire state of Arkansas. Oh, and btw not to mention, their at the door step of the smoky mountains (the most visited national Forrest in the country) to boot. But you are correct, they might be the exception and be THE NEEDLE in the hay stack.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 16, 2015, 02:19:11 pm
This issue is dead.

There is no reason to have a 70+K seat stadium on campus, and then play 2 or 3 "home" games away from that venue. There is no reason for the state or city of LR to spend public money on a stadium that costs that much either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

This issue is dead till the State steps up and builds a new WMS or remodels the one we got.

Then I'm betting it's permanently dead.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 16, 2015, 02:15:18 pm
Let me guess your wife's family in TN know someone that was formerly on their Board of Trustees!

No, they are just HUGE Vol fans.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: geauxhawgs on January 16, 2015, 02:21:07 pm
Knoxville also has a 1 million+ in their metro and well over 2mil+ in the east Tennessee region alone that are under 2 hours away. That's 2/3rds the population of the entire state of Arkansas. Oh, and btw not to mention, their at the door step of the smoky mountains (the most visited national Forrest in the country) to boot. But you are correct, they might be the exception and be THE NEEDLE in the hay stack.

Barely over a million in the combined metro area. So now two hours is "striking distance". I guess you can't seem to settle on how far 'striking distance" is................ Also their stadium is much larger than ours so the distance and population difference is possibly not valid as a major point.

P.S. The Great Smoky Mountains is a national park..................but there is indeed national forrest around it. It is the park they are going too.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on January 16, 2015, 02:25:04 pm
Even though I'm a home games on campus supporter, I'm actually in favor of a UA vs ASU game every year in WMS. On one condition......the stadium must be completely revamped which basically means rebuilt. 70k-80k capacity to hold that matchup. I would really like to see that game and would be there every year to watch the Hogs stomp a mudhole in the Jonestown wolf Indian red Chiefs.

That being said, I'm not optimistic it will happen without state intervention. Plus I think CBB and the UA would have to be able to recruit to that game too. I don't believe we can use WMS games at recruiting visits now and that plays a major factor IMO.

The U of A can still give tickets to recruits for the WMS game and there usually is a large number of recruits that attend.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:24:39 pm
No, they are just HUGE Vol fans.

My condolences then.............But your post read as if you knew for a fact that their % of people in the stadium came from specifics. 90% sounds high. I know there are a lot of people form Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta that go to games there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:30:08 pm
The U of A can still give tickets to recruits for the WMS game and there usually is a large number of recruits that attend.

That's true at RRS as well.

geauxhawgs

USC is an exception as well but when you wrap your mind around the facts that a) state pride isn't a fraction as important in California as it is in most places across the country because of the high # of transplants and b) when you realize that if California was moved to the east coast, Jacksonville, FL and New York City would be in the same state. its gets pretty dicey trying to put them in the same category. 

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:30:08 pm

And a large number go to the Fayetteville games, you know, to visit the campus where they might play? I'm still waiting on a link for your % of fans that go to various games.......I'm sorry that I don't except cousins brother's uncle as a source, Wikipedia might, I don't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2015, 02:35:11 pm
And a large number go to the Fayetteville games, you know, to visit the campus where they might play? I'm still waiting on a link for your % of fans that go to various games.......I'm sorry that I don't except cousins brother's uncle as a source, Wikipedia might, I don't.

Tennessee's cousin marriage laws are not quite as strict as Arkansas.......................................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: geauxhawgs on January 16, 2015, 02:34:55 pm
USC is an exception as well but when you wrap your mind around the facts that a) state pride isn't a fraction as important in California as it is in most places across the country because of the high # of transplants and b) when you realize that if California was moved to the east coast, Jacksonville, FL and New York City would be in the same state. its gets pretty dicey trying to put them in the same category. 

Now you want to make exceptions for a statement after the fact........................Dang man make up your mind! You still haven't given a "striking distance" either!

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2015, 02:35:11 pm

You are correct. A large number of Recruits that are given tickets to the WMS game do also go on official visits to the campus so they get to see the Hogs play in both stadiums.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:55:18 pm
You are correct. A large number of Recruits that are given tickets to the WMS game do also go on official visits to the campus so they get to see the Hogs play in both stadiums.

And a larger number go on unofficial visits to Fayetteville, so?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:55:18 pm

Unofficial visits as well to RRS. Not necessarily official visits but some are.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:11:31 pm
It's not off of the top of my head. Our best friends live just north of Baton Rouge and are "in the know" about LSU sports. My wife has family members in Tennessee.

So instead of that "stat" being something you pulled out of your rear, it's a "stat" your friend pulled out of his rear??

Ok, got it.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on January 16, 2015, 02:50:39 pm
GuvHog............my point was I don't believe WMS games can be treated the same as RRS games when I comes to recruiting. I don't think they can be used as official visits because the game isn't on campus. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

You are correct. They give tickets to recruits for the WMS game and then shedule them for official visits to the campus.

GuvHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 16, 2015, 03:16:32 pm
So instead of that "stat" being something you pulled out of your rear, it's a "stat" your friend pulled out of his rear??

Ok, got it.

Like I said, my friends are "in the know" about LSU sports.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 03:18:48 pm

Lol, so have them give you a link, since they are "in the know"......

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 03:18:48 pm

You show me documented substantiation that 90%+ of Fayetteville, Knoxville, and Baton Rouge home games are attended by folks within 100 miles and I'll drive to Texarkana and buy you a steak dinner.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 03:16:35 pm
You are correct. They give tickets to recruits for the WMS game and then shedule them for official visits to the campus.

Or, the give them tickets to games at RRS.....

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2015, 03:24:19 pm
Or, the give them tickets to games at RRS.....

If they give a recruit a ticket to a WMS game, you can bet they schedule him for an official visit to the campus at the same time.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 03:30:12 pm
If they give a recruit a ticket to a WMS game, you can bet they schedule him for an official visit to the campus at the same time.

Wrong, wrong, wrong......they give tickets to Soph's, Jr's, and Sr's, it has nothing to do with official visits. They'll give out 50+ tickets a game, we won't have that many take official visits.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2015, 03:35:19 pm

Wrong, wrong, wrong......they give tickets to Soph's, Jr's, and Sr's, it has nothing to do with official visits. They'll give out 50+ tickets a game, we won't have that many take official visits.

I was referring only to the Senior recruits. They are the ones that are scheduled for Official visits when they are given WMS tickets. The U of A does not give tickets to Senior recruits that have no shot at playing D1 football.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 03:43:42 pm
I was referring only to the Senior recruits. They are the ones that are scheduled for Official visits when they are given WMS tickets. The U of A does not give tickets to Senior recruits that have no shot at playing D1 football.

Well, they give tickets to a lot of SRs they never have on official visits, I know for a fact. They give tickets to keep in good with the high school coaches, you really need to learn a little about recruiting.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 16, 2015, 03:16:32 pm

Ok, got it.

Since he said it wasn't off the top of his head then the rear is the only other logical place it could come from..............

HamIAm

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 14, 2015, 10:41:43 pm
We are over it.. The contract is up after 2016... You NWA dudes need to get over it... You won...

Bingo. 

Razorback_Mack

Nobody from Central Arkansas even talks about LR games anymore. Everybody knows it's over with. It's not a big deal. We'll just go to the games on campus or dallas. UGA was the last marquee game.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 16, 2015, 02:42:28 pm
Now you want to make exceptions for a statement after the fact........................Dang man make up your mind! You still haven't given a "striking distance" either!
Give me 5 big time college football programs that are further than 100 miles from their state capitol. Then give me 5 that are not within an hour from a million + metro.

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 16, 2015, 01:54:34 pm
The UA is moving towards a more NWArk-centric focus.  As the population of the region increases they don't factor needing central Arkansas to fill RSS.

If Jeff Long decides it makes more business sense being a regional team, I don't mind.  Won't change my love for the Razorbacks. 

It could open the door for us to play other Arkansas teams.  That would bring some excitement to rent a win games.

Uh, Frank that

tusksincolorado

Even though I'm a home games on campus supporter, I'm actually in favor of a UA vs ASU game every year in WMS. On one condition......the stadium must be completely revamped which basically means rebuilt. 70k-80k capacity to hold that matchup. I would really like to see that game and would be there every year to watch the Hogs stomp a mudhole in the Jonestown wolf Indian red Chiefs.

That being said, I'm not optimistic it will happen without state intervention. Plus I think CBB and the UA would have to be able to recruit to that game too. I don't believe we can use WMS games at recruiting visits now and that plays a major factor IMO.

Just legalize pot in the State of Arkansas, use ALL the tax revenue to fund either a new stadium, or renovate the old one. Then have the UofA and ASU play on Labor Day weekend, and name the contest "Da Smok'um or Roast'um Peace Pipe Bowl".
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

gawntrail

Quote from: geauxhawgs on January 16, 2015, 11:35:57 pm
Give me 5 big time college football programs that are further than 100 miles from their state capitol. Then give me 5 that are not within an hour from a million + metro.

Its like Field of Dreams......  Build it, and they will come.

ricepig

Quote from: opineonswine on January 17, 2015, 09:46:21 am
I'll go first....Tennessee.

Alabama is 106 miles from Montgomery, 150ish by interstate.

opineonswine

Quote from: geauxhawgs on January 16, 2015, 11:35:57 pm

Tennessee
Florida
Alabama
Texas Tech
Arizona

I'm sure there are several more.  Those five satisfy BOTH of your criteria.  Wasn't sure if you meant either or / or both.

Hogfaniam

Which they might, a few years after the last game, when businesses realize the economic impact the Hogs games had.  Or not, after they realize it wasn't that big of a deal. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

opineonswine

WMS had its day.  Made sense back when.  Makes ZERO sense now.  The sooner it's over the sooner the fans can hug and get back to business.

MuskogeeHogFan

Financially, I'm not sure that the state of Arkansas sees the benefit in completely overhauling WMS for 1 or 2 Arkansas games per year. Bringing it up to just 62,000 capacity (as an example) might represent a significantly huge number. What is the ROI on that based on 1-2 games annually? It isn't going to generate enough revenue based on Arkansas Baptist or Catholic High games, even combined with Arkansas games.

As for the match-up with ASU, Arkansas has nothing to gain and everything to lose by scheduling an annual game with them. Now if ASU can get into the SEC, it's a different story, but what are the chances of that happening anytime soon?
Go Hogs Go!

opineonswine

Two things I believe are sure things in my lifetime:

1.  Arkansas will stop playing in LR.
2.  Arkansas will NEVER play ASU.

I support both wholeheartedly.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2015, 09:56:43 am
Financially, I'm not sure that the state of Arkansas sees the benefit in completely overhauling WMS for 1 or 2 Arkansas games per year. Bringing it up to just 62,000 capacity (as an example) might represent a significantly huge number. What is the ROI on that based on 1-2 games annually? It isn't going to generate enough revenue based on Arkansas Baptist or Catholic High games, even combined with Arkansas games.

As for the match-up with ASU, Arkansas has nothing to gain and everything to lose by scheduling an annual game with them. Now if ASU can get into the SEC, it's a different story, but what are the chances of that happening anytime soon?

Bowl game?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 17, 2015, 10:08:37 am
Bowl game?

Attendance? Not sure. That's one more game per year. Again, while the state might embrace the potential tax dollars generated from sales of local businesses as a result of those games, is it enough to pay for an expansion in seating and an overall upgrade and renovation of the entire stadium? That's a question for the accountants, who would have considerable input in regard to the projected revenues that might be realized after such an enormous investment of the state's cash. Maybe they need to raise the money by increasing taxes? That should be popular.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: opineonswine on January 17, 2015, 09:53:17 am
Tennessee
Florida
Alabama
Texas Tech
Arizona

I'm sure there are several more.  Those five satisfy BOTH of your criteria.  Wasn't sure if you meant either or / or both.

I'm betting that he doesn't think those are big time even though all are P5 schools..............................Interesting that he first was talking about State Capitals and then brought up metro areas. Without looking back I'm the one I believe that brought that out about population. I'll have to look back. Heck some states aren't even 100 miles in diameter! And if they aren't they have good sized metro areas.  In a LOT of the country it is damn near impossible to have ANYTHING not within 100 miles of a metro area. He's the kind of person that wants to have his cake and eat it to.........................

geauxhawgs

Quote from: opineonswine on January 17, 2015, 09:53:17 am
Tennessee
Florida
Alabama
Texas Tech
Arizona

Texas Tech & AZ, my point exactly. Do we want them to be our new benchmark? BTW just for the record, Arizona is pretty darn close to meeting BOTH of those requirements. They are 10 miles over the 100 mark to Phoenix and the Tucson metro is 20k short of 1 mil. Bama, UT, and Florida are all either 100 miles from capital or under an hour drive from a mil +metro so that is inaccurate...

ricepig

Quote from: geauxhawgs on January 17, 2015, 11:01:06 am
Texas Tech & AZ, my point exactly. Do we want them to be our new benchmark? BTW just for the record, Arizona is pretty darn close to meeting BOTH of those requirements. They are 10 miles over the 100 mark to Phoenix and the Tucson metro is 20k short of 1 mil. Bama, UT, and Florida are all either 100 miles from capital or under an hour drive from a mil +metro so that is inaccurate...

Your like my ex-wife, you keep changing your demands....

gawntrail

Quote from: geauxhawgs on January 17, 2015, 11:01:06 am

Even if you're 100% right... What's the point?  The Hogs are in Fayetteville.  Fville is in the corner of the state.  It is what it is.  Playing home games away from home is ridiculous on its face. 

secfan30

Quote from: Kierkegaard on January 14, 2015, 11:02:41 pm
I went to WMS for the Georgia game. It was a wonderful experience, not much like it. I really don't understand why people hate it so much. Let the place go with some respect. It's a Razorback tradition, something I was glad to be a part of. GO HOGS

Unfortunately it's not enough just to be a Hog Fan. In some parts of the state there is an air of entitlement and the refusal to admit anything good could happen anywhere else in the state.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2015, 10:22:51 am
Attendance? Not sure. That's one more game per year. Again, while the state might embrace the potential tax dollars generated from sales of local businesses as a result of those games, is it enough to pay for an expansion in seating and an overall upgrade and renovation of the entire stadium? That's a question for the accountants, who would have considerable input in regard to the projected revenues that might be realized after such an enormous investment of the state's cash. Maybe they need to raise the money by increasing taxes? That should be popular.

It just amazes me that Shreveport can do it and LR can't, with twice the metro area statistically.  Total lack of leadership.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 17, 2015, 11:28:34 am
It just amazes me that Shreveport can do it and LR can't, with twice the metro area statistically.  Total lack of leadership.

One would think it would be doable. The "Walmart-Tyson We Want Your Bucks Bowl". ;)

Seriously though, there is enough in-state money to fund that bowl, if they wanted to.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogfaniam

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2015, 11:40:00 am
One would think it would be doable. The "Walmart-Tyson We Want Your Bucks Bowl". ;)

Seriously though, there is enough in-state money to fund that bowl, if they wanted to.

Tie it in with Hot Springs.
Get Oaklawn to open New Years weekend instead of two weeks later.  Would be an awesome trip for someone who has never been. 

Liberty Bowl impact.
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/27724499/annual-liberty-bowl-game-brings-20m-economic-boost-to-mid-south