Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joel Thomas signs extension, per UA

Started by Fayettechill14, January 14, 2015, 04:19:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

UA Release:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas running backs coach Joel Thomas  (@CoachJoelT) has signed an amendment to his employment agreement, Razorback football head coach Bret Bielema announced Wednesday.

"We are very excited to extend Joel's contract and keep him here at Arkansas," Bielema said. "He is a passionate teacher on and off the field and has done an excellent job developing our talent at the running back position. Joel is a valuable asset to our program as we continue to take steps forward in pursuit of an SEC Championship."

The running backs continue to improve under Thomas as Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins were the only pair of FBS teammates to rush for 1,000-plus yards in the 2014 season. The duo became just the second pair of Razorbacks to accomplish the feat, following Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in 2006 and 2007. Collins became just the second Razorback in school history to surpass 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons on the hill.

"Thank you to Bret (Bielema) and (Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics) Jeff (Long) for giving me such a wonderful opportunity," Thomas said. "The Arkansas family has really embraced my family and we are thrilled to be part of this football program. I'm fired up to work with a great group of young men and cannot wait to showcase their abilities in 2015 and beyond."

Arkansas returns two of the most accomplished running backs in program history. Williams enters the 2015 campaign as the school's 10th all-time leading rusher with 2,321 career rushing yards. Collins ranks 14th in school history with 2,126 rushing yards entering his junior season.

Fans can put a deposit down for 2015 season tickets by visiting ARKANSASRAZORBACKS.com. The 2015 home schedule includes six games in Fayetteville, four against opponents that played in bowl games last season – UTEP, Auburn, Mississippi State and Missouri.

For more information on Arkansas Football, follow @RazorbackFB on Twitter.

Oklahawg

Good news, and that clears up some uncertainties.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ArKan5a5 KiD

Well their goes that rumor. But what does that mean for Smith??

Fatty McGee

Interesting that in a UA Press Release a person's Twitter ID is mentioned.  Neither good nor bad, just a reflection of how times change.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fayettechill14

Got a $35,000 raise. Deal through 2016 worth $280,000 per year.

Wildhog

great.......  I love RB coaches that recruit Texas and contribute one signee every three years.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

CabotHog87

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:24:14 pm
great.......  I love RB coaches that recruit Texas and contribute one signee every three years.

look at the bright side- he has no where to go but up :)

HOGINTENNESSEE

Lol

pigture perfect

I'm personally excited about Coach Thomas being back. Seems like a nice man and a good family.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: CabotHog87 on January 14, 2015, 04:25:30 pm
I take it everyone is mad about this
Not everyone. Just those who wanted Chaney, Thomas and Smith gone.

Wildhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 14, 2015, 04:26:09 pm
Lol

It's extremely hard to find D1 prospects in Texas, apparently.  If only he were recruiting a more fertile territory.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 04:26:39 pm
Not everyone. Just those who wanted Chaney, Thomas and Smith gone.

I don't want Smith gone.  I wanted him to take Thomas' job.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:26:45 pm
It's extremely hard to find D1 prospects in Texas, apparently.

it is also harder to recruit RB's to Ark and the CBB system then you think.  lay off him dude, he is trying his hardest

Wildhog

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 14, 2015, 04:27:35 pm
it is also harder to recruit RB's to Ark and the CBB system then you think.  lay off him dude, he is trying his hardest

Yeah, what RB would want to play for CBB?
1909/1964/1965/1977

sowmonella

Quote from: CabotHog87 on January 14, 2015, 04:25:30 pm
I take it everyone is mad about this

Not me. I like the way our backs have improved.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Dominicanhog

Deep Shoat

On no staff is everyone a great recruiter.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike Irwin

Kinda shoots a hole in the popular Hogville theory that by not wrapping up amended contracts for Chaney, Thomas and Smith at the same time as the other six, Bielema was sending them a not so subtle message to find other jobs.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 04:31:43 pm
Kinda shoots a hole in the popular Hogville theory that by not wrapping up amended contracts for Chaney, Thomas and Smith at the same time as the other six, Bielema was sending them a not so subtle message to find other jobs.

Do I sense a little life in Irwin? 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 14, 2015, 04:32:03 pm
Our current recruiting level disagrees with you.

Thanks to an unusually deep in-state class and Sam Pittman closing on half our class.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:33:20 pm
Thanks to an unusually deep in-state class and Sam Pittman closing on half our class.
Or Barry Lunney, Jr...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 14, 2015, 04:33:59 pm
Or Barry Lunney, Jr...

You know...the in-state recruiter that I've given tons of props to?

Not sure why you'd want to start a recruiting debate with me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:34:40 pm
You know...the in-state recruiter that I've given tons of props to?

Not sure why you'd want to start a recruiting debate with me.
I really don't.  I just get tired of your negativity regarding our coaches. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:30:48 pm
We have one.

Im with you IMO your RB and WR coaching should be they best recruiters on the offense.

Thomas makes more than Larry Porter.

Nosboar Accubond

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 14, 2015, 04:35:29 pm
I really don't.  I just get tired of your negativity regarding our coaches. 

I love CBB.
I love CSP
I like CMS, I'd LOVE him as a RB coach (his natural coaching position)
BLJ is really growing on me.

I love Robb Smith
I love Clay Jennings
I like Rory Segrest
I loved Randy Shannon

Not sure how you can say that I don't love this coaching staff.  I'm extremely positive on the vast majority of them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

CabotHog87

WooPig90

Anybody think this says anything about Michael Smith?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 14, 2015, 04:38:09 pm
Anybody think this says anything about Michael Smith?
Says he is still looking for something else.  Dunno what.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

I liked our offensive coaches and I am happy we are keeping him.  There is more to being a good college coach than which recruits you are the primary recruiter on.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JackJohnson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 14, 2015, 04:36:06 pm
Im with you IMO your RB and WR coaching should be they best recruiters on the offense.

Thomas makes more than Larry Porter.

I mean it is what it is and this is my last post on the matter...

For 280k I expect more than 1 signee in 3 classes. We signed 23 in 2013, 24 in 2014 and assuming we sign 25 this year that is 72 signees since Thomas has been here and RW3 is the only one he had the lead role in bringing in. 

Yes, we had 2 1k RB's, but that is like saying D.Nutt was getting the job done here bc he had multiple 1k backs- it is the system not the coach

Fayettechill14

The RB position didn't need immediate help when Thomas arrived. He inherited a true sophomore and then added a couple of true freshmen in his first class (yes, I know that Partridge and Lunney closed on those two). He'll be judged by his ability to go get another one when we've lost Collins and Williams.

LRHawg

Wildhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 14, 2015, 04:44:39 pm
The RB position didn't need immediate help when Thomas arrived. He inherited a true sophomore and then added a couple of true freshmen in his first class (yes, I know that Partridge and Lunney closed on those two). He'll be judged by his ability to go get another one when we've lost Collins and Williams.

We should be getting that guy NOW, not just hoping some true freshman phenom comes in and takes over.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:45:36 pm
We should be getting that guy NOW, not just hoping some true freshman phenom comes in and takes over.

And he recruits more than RB.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:45:36 pm

How many stud, by that I mean top 15 type, will want to sit behind those two guys? We aren't Bama, we aren't going to get a 5* every year. I was fine if he stayed, or left, obviously Bielema preferred he stayed.

LAGNAF

I'm sure your love is on par with his love for message board critics, but hey, he got a raise and you have a free spot to vent so life is wonderful.

Wildhog

Quote from: LAGNAF on January 14, 2015, 04:51:04 pm
I'm sure your love is on par with his love for message board critics, but hey, he got a raise and you have a free spot to vent so life is wonderful.

You ever see this movie?

I feel like the second half of it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

navyhog24

Dang. I was honestly hoping for an upgrade at this position.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 04:31:43 pm

Are you suggesting Hogville theories may be grounded in nothing more than uninformed speculation? 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 14, 2015, 04:42:33 pm
I mean it is what it is and this is my last post on the matter...

For 280k I expect more than 1 signee in 3 classes. We signed 23 in 2013, 24 in 2014 and assuming we sign 25 this year that is 72 signees since Thomas has been here and RW3 is the only one he had the lead role in bringing in. 

Yes, we had 2 1k RB's, but that is like saying D.Nutt was getting the job done here bc he had multiple 1k backs- it is the system not the coach

Is it his job to recruit running backs?  Is that how Bielema has it set up?

LAGNAF

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:52:17 pm
You ever see this movie?

I feel like the second half of it.

Haven't seen it, but I'll make it a point to do so

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wildhog on January 14, 2015, 04:32:14 pm
Do I sense a little life in Irwin?
Not sure if you're trying to be funny or if  their was another message behind that post but the reason for Chaney's departure is important to know.

If we know why he left we will know more about what to expect from Bielema & the new OC moving forward. I have no opinion on what happened. Just looking for answers.

Looks like the theory that Bielema targeted all three by not offering them much is off base as least with regard to Thomas.

Everyone has their theories based on logic. I've already posted this and I'll post it again. Logic doesn't always apply when discussing why an assistant coach left.

Wooderson

How many fumbles did our rbs have the past two years?  I don't know the exact number but it was way too many. Couple this with recruiting and I don't think he is getting the job done. Obviously coach does though. Hope those two areas improve.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

COCHISE

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2015, 04:53:24 pm
Are you suggesting Hogville theories may be grounded in nothing more than uninformed speculation?
It was not a shot at various theories. I'm Just trying figure out what happened by eliminating possibilities.