Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why are our assistants leaving?

Started by sooeey pig pig pig, January 14, 2015, 07:29:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

A few assistants have vacated. Why?

They were run off due to incompetence.
They knew the ax was coming at some point and quit.
They were politely asked to leave.
They were unconvinced with Coach B in general.
They felt any success was a credit on the defensive coordinator and assistant coaches, not Coach.
The SEC was too tough.
Mixed Bag
Frito Pie

sooeey pig pig pig

Results will be displayed after voting.

Hopefully, so will comments.

OKC

I've largely defended Chaney stating that maybe he didn't have all the pieces yet for the offense to operate at a consistent high level...however I also worried about the second half play calling...in short, if CBB really wanted him to stay, the money would have been there. I'm undecided about Shannon, he may have simply wanted to return to the state of Florida.

Hogg_Phan

I said they were politely asked to leave except for Randy S. But we all knew he would leave at some point. Also, JC'S door to leave was left open and he decided to walk through it.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

HOGINTENNESSEE

I don't think any of those option apply to Randy. Shannon was offer 150k more to go back to his home state. So he took the job.

IMO, Chaney was either told to look for another job or his new contract was written in away that it was clear he was on the hot seat. He left for more job security.

Tim Harris

I think they are upset about still having to play games in Little Rock.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 14, 2015, 07:44:03 am
I think they are upset about still having to play games in Little Rock.

and not having anthracite uniforms available for the kids
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

The Boar War

I don't think there's a general program wide problem that's causing assistants to leave.  Look at your job people leave and other people leave their former jobs to take their place all the time, for many reasons.

As much as we don't want to admit it Ash left for a better situation, if he wanted to become a head coach.  If he's interviewing for a job in 2017 he could either have national championship co defensive coordinator or 7-6 (if we got there) defensive coordinator on his resume.  If you aren't from the area its a pretty easy choice.

Randy Shannon got a raise to go to another program and has shown a habit of moving around.  He only spent a year at TCU.  They seem to be okay.

Chaney is a guy who was an odd match from the beginning.  I have no doubt that they had philosophical differences.  When Rob Smith earned his raise, Coach B chose to become conservative with the pay raises.  It looks like Chaney took offense to it, probably felt under appreciated, and decided to look around.  He might have even been told that if he thought he could find a better job than he should go for it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The Boar War on January 14, 2015, 08:04:11 am

Chaney is a guy who was an odd match from the beginning.  I have no doubt that they had philosophical differences.  When Rob Smith earned his raise, Coach B chose to become conservative with the pay raises.  It looks like Chaney took offense to it, probably felt under appreciated, and decided to look around.  He might have even been told that if he thought he could find a better job than he should go for it.

I feel like this explains it well.

Chaney did many odd things during the year that many had a hard time understanding—me included.

It seems he never fully accepted what CBB wanted to do. 

It's been mentioned that his playbook is complex and would have started paying huge dividends in year three, but I'm not sure and I think BB wasn't either.  If something takes three years to learn, it's probably too complex to have at this level.

If as has been stated, Narduzzi gave him complete control of the O, that would have been too hard for a guy like JC to pass up.

I think BB wasn't willing to compromise the D-side of the ball in any way.  Look how Bama's D changed when the O wouldn't pound the ball at certain times during their most important games.

Fatty McGee

Assistants leave regularly everywhere.  It's coaching.  Trying to read tea leaves in press releases is pointless.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on January 14, 2015, 07:29:30 am

This has got to be the dumbest poll in all of Hogville history.

All that's saying quite a bit.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

ZERO

They're leaving because it's what assistants have done since the beginning of time and will continue to do until the end of time.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

gawntrail

They got tired of driving to Tulsa for Jack-in-the-Box?

I know I am.  We need Jack in this state something fierce. 

ZERO

Qdoba is owned by the same company that owns Jack-in-the-Box. I've always said it's just a matter of time. Patience.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

josh_sec33

The assistants are mad that popcorn hog got run out by the fans.

;)
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

twistitup

Quote from: longpig on January 14, 2015, 10:42:28 am
Thomas was bullying them

Hangin' w Percy is much more fun, Thomas is too passive aggressive
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jcharkansas

Quote from: gawntrail on January 14, 2015, 10:51:20 am

Wasn't that the restaurant that was killing people or making them really sick back in the day

gawntrail

Quote from: ZERO on January 14, 2015, 10:58:14 am
Qdoba is owned by the same company that owns Jack-in-the-Box. I've always said it's just a matter of time. Patience.

I go and order 40 tacos no lettuce or sauce.  Bring 'em back and put in freezer.  Not quite like the midnight runs in SoCal, but, it'll have to do for now. 

Looking forward to Jack coming to town.

gawntrail

Quote from: jcharkansas on January 14, 2015, 11:13:23 am
Wasn't that the restaurant that was killing people or making them really sick back in the day

'93.  Ecoli.  Bad time. 

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 14, 2015, 10:40:47 am
This has got to be the dumbest poll in all of Hogville history.

All that's saying quite a bit.

True, the obvious answer is the poor service at the Alma Sonic.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

hawg IQ

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on January 14, 2015, 07:29:30 am

Chaney was at the top of his OC ability and BB knew to compete in SEC we needed more. Yet all in all , didn't think Chaney was so bad sometimes.
at other time some of his calls was WTH was that....anyway, did he look at the play sheet wrong?
go hogs go !

Tim Harris

Could this have something to do pepsi vs. coke debate?

sooeey pig pig pig

I think there is an incompetence that lead to either a knowledge that the ax was coming down or a polite request to leave. 

After seeing the boat finally turn around, you have to think there wouldn't be philosophical differences that lead to questioning Coach B's method.  But maybe there were before?  Maybe there was friction during the season?  This is what I don't know. 

Was there professional disagreement?  Probably, but in the end you have to believe assistants leaving means they were pushed out one way or the other.

sooeey pig pig pig

The comment about getting raises to the ones who CBB felt deserved it seemed very telling to me.  If I was an assistant and didn't get a raise, I know what that would mean to me.  I'd feel like the ax was coming and look elsewhere.  I have no idea the course of events and if there was stronger pushing out than that.  Maybe someone else knows?

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 14, 2015, 11:48:29 am

Of course, everyone knows which goes better with frito pie....

sooeey pig pig pig

If we had wanted to keep Shannon and $150k was what it took to match another school's offer or $200k was what it took to beat it, you would think we would have made that happen.  There could be more to it than just the better job offer.

twistitup

Not everyone likes fried catfish....especially w/o beer to wash it down

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 14, 2015, 11:48:29 am
Nailed it.  End of debate.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

CabotHog87

Because you touch yourself at night

PorkSoda

has there been any word on Chaney's Salary at Pitt?

I think he was making 550K here and likely would have been making 600K.

Is Pitt really in a position to match that / give him the kind of money he wanted?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on January 14, 2015, 12:36:18 pm
If we had wanted to keep Shannon and $150k was what it took to match another school's offer or $200k was what it took to beat it, you would think we would have made that happen.  There could be more to it than just the better job offer.
I'm not surprised with shannon, noone expected him to be here more than 2.

I am a bit surprised with chaney.  I think there may have been some heated year end discussions.  while there was improvement from last year to this year, I think they probably disagreed on the direction moving forward.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

JayBell

The thing about this is people are trying to reflect on what's happening now and contrast it with Bielema's statements about losing assistants at Wisconsin.

I think when you look at the pay and situations, Bielema wanted to make sure he could keep the assistants he wanted to keep.  He's done that with Smith, Thomas and Pittman.  Every assistant that has left - other than Partidge and maybe Shannon - are not losses that will upset Bielema.

The program has the money to make sure that Chaney would have stayed if they wanted him to.

IMO

Pig In The City

Quote from: josh_sec33 on January 14, 2015, 11:01:14 am
The assistants are mad that popcorn hog got run out by the fans.

;)
No it was the forward facing Hog!

PorkSoda

sooeey pig pig pig

Quote from: twistitup on January 14, 2015, 12:37:00 pm
Not everyone likes fried catfish....especially w/o beer to wash it down

Why was there not beer  ???

NaturalStateReb

How can they resist the siren call of Frito Pie?

Seriously, it just happens.  It's a nomadic profession. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: gawntrail on January 14, 2015, 11:15:10 am
I go and order 40 tacos no lettuce or sauce.  Bring 'em back and put in freezer.  Not quite like the midnight runs in SoCal, but, it'll have to do for now. 

Looking forward to Jack coming to town.

With no lettuce, no sauce that only leaves the taco shell and that mysterious stuff. What exactly is that?  I've got a new one that is 6 blocks from my house that I wish I could send you.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

gawntrail

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 14, 2015, 01:28:32 pm
With no lettuce, no sauce that only leaves the taco shell and that mysterious stuff. What exactly is that?  I've got a new one that is 6 blocks from my house that I wish I could send you.

Cause when you nuke them with the lettuce in its horrible.  The sauce doesn't taste right either.  So I cut a little lettuce and make sure I get a bag of sauce too.

Them tacos were great post drinking grub.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: jcharkansas on January 14, 2015, 11:13:23 am

It's known as "gag in the bag" down here in DFW.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 14, 2015, 01:57:22 pm
It's known as "gag in the bag" down here in DFW.....

E. Coli outbreak in California that was linked to 73 different locations. Killed four kids and made over 600 sick. Nearly bankrupted the company.

I dig a sour jack though. Just depends on the cleanliness of the location on whether or not I'll eat there. I don't go through the drive thru for those reasons.
This is my non-signature signature.

CDBHawg

They're coveted.

HDN and Petrino never had that problem.

DukeOfPork

We need Taco Cabana.

ArkieBrat

No kidding!  I lived in Texas for 25 years and depended on Jack-in-the-Box after hanging out in the sports bars on Friday nights...LOVED those tacos after a night of drinking.  It wasn't till I retired and moved back to Arkansas that I realized there were NO Jacks.

I have always said, "it is a 1 horse town" that doesn't have a Jack-in-the-Box!   ;D
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

gawntrail

twistitup

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on January 14, 2015, 01:03:23 pm
Why was there not beer  ???

Ask the folks that own the Carfish Hole in Fville...no beer

I must have kobeer w my catfish

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: twistitup on January 14, 2015, 02:52:34 pm
Ask the folks that own the Carfish Hole in Fville...no beer

I must have kobeer w my catfish
For a second there I thought you said garfish hole.

Rumor has it, gar balls are great. Ribmeat or something

twistitup

1highhog

It was rumored that Shannon left because Fayetteville doesn't have a Twin Peaks yet.  When they came and played in Little Rock, the Coaches got together and all of them made a run to the Twin Peaks on Markham.  Pictures are here, https://www.facebook.com/TwinPeaksWestLittleRock/photos_stream

I've met over half of these girls, nice as can be, but of course that's their job, they know how to work for tips and do it well, some better than others.  When you get one of these young ladies in your lap talking to you, it's funny how a $20.00 tip becomes a $40.00.

casken

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2015, 10:38:16 am
Assistants leave regularly everywhere.  It's coaching.  Trying to read tea leaves in press releases is pointless.

Gotta agree with Fatty here. Arkansas is not everyone's destination job...
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

MissippHog

Because we stopped wearing anthracite.