Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Final AP Poll

Started by hogcard1964, January 13, 2015, 08:08:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Disappointed

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ohio-state-no--1-and-tcu-no--3-in-final-ap-poll-of-2014-season-081035803.html

ARLINGTON, Texas – The four teams that made the College Football Playoff are in the top five of the final AP poll, but two are behind a team that missed out.

Ohio State finishes the year atop the AP poll after beating Oregon 42-20 in for the national title Monday night and TCU, which demolished Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl, jumps up to No. 3 from No. 6 in the pre-bowl poll.

TCU was at No. 3 in the next-to-last set of College Football Playoff rankings but fell out of the top four in the final rankings after Baylor beat Kansas State and Ohio State beat Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship.

Oregon finishes the year at No. 2 and Alabama is at No. 4. Florida State, which lost to Oregon in the Rose Bowl, is at No. 5 in a tie with Michigan State.

After beating Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl, Georgia Tech moved up to No. 8. The entire poll is below.

1. Ohio State (59 first place votes)
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama
5. Florida State
5. Michigan State
7. Baylor
8. Georgia Tech
9. Georgia
10. UCLA
11. Mississippi State
12. Arizona State
13. Wisconsin
14. Missouri
15. Clemson
16. Boise State
17. Ole Miss
18. Kansas State
19. Arizona
20. USC
21. Utah
22. Auburn
23. Marshall
24. Louisville
25. Memphis

The_Iceman

We would smoke Marshall and Memphis.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2015, 08:16:51 am

As well as Louisville and Utah

RazorBassin

Any of those teams 15-25 I think we beat at home or on a neutral field.  Could beat most of them on the road.  Next year I believe we finally get the respect we deserve.

dagnamit

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2015, 08:16:51 am
I doubt it. Texas was awful. Memphis can play. Most reasonable people were not too impressed with the win over the Down and out Horns.

LRHawg

gonna have to earn respect next year. we Obviously were better at the end of the year than the last 5 or so.

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: dagnamit on January 13, 2015, 08:34:48 am
I doubt it. Texas was awful. Memphis can play. Most reasonable people were not too impressed with the win over the Down and out Horns.
Yes we would.
WPS!!!

dagnamit

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 13, 2015, 08:37:09 am

Yes we would.
Did you watch any Memphis games this year? I watched them play 4 games and saw about half a dozen Hog games. It would be a really good game 50/50 chance either team would win.

discombobulationist

HAHAHAHAHAAA! Good one! Memphis, haha. Whooo, needed that.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

COCHISE

Ole Miss at #17 is a joke.

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: dagnamit on January 13, 2015, 08:40:25 am
Did you watch any Memphis games this year? I watched them play 4 games and saw about half a dozen Hog games. It would be a really good game 50/50 chance either team would win.
Yes. And they wouldn't come close. What's wrong with you. You know we very easily could of won 2-3 of the games we lost.
WPS!!!

DeltaBoy

Tiger High could not win the 7A West this year in Ark.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

dagnamit

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 13, 2015, 08:43:24 am
Yes. And they wouldn't come close. What's wrong with you. You know we very easily could of won 2-3 of the games we lost.
Whats wrong with all the folks that vote in the AP?

The Hogfather

Ole Miss beat Memphis 24-3 and we beat Ole Miss 30-0.

The Hogfather

Quote from: dagnamit on January 13, 2015, 08:44:43 am

They only look at records.

discombobulationist

AP voters care about the records. Look at ESPN's Football Power Index. Arkansas is at #14, Memphis at #38.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

redeye

You are delirious.

We smoked Ole Miss, who's ranked higher then Memphis, so there's that.  I know Memphis has a good team, but then you think people were not impressed with us holding Texas to the lowest FBS offensive output all season.

Seriously, you're delirious.  Find the nearest mental hospital and check yourself in ASAP.

PORKULATOR

You can't honestly believe this. What are you, a troll?!?!?
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Inhogswetrust

I live close to Memphis. ALL reasonable people know Memphis can't play that well against the bigs. If you think BYU was a big this year you're wrong.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

dagnamit

I believe it would of been a very good game.

Redhogs

Quote from: dagnamit on January 13, 2015, 09:29:25 am
I believe it would of been a very good game.
Kinda like N. Ill. ?  Hilarious.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

shotgun7

Did not expect to finish in the top 25, but we should start there next year.  :razorback:

bigdaddyhawg

I think there's a typo/mistake in that AP poll.  I didn't see Oklahoma anywhere in that season ending Top 25.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

GuvHog

Quote from: discombobulationist on January 13, 2015, 08:50:41 am
AP voters care about the records. Look at ESPN's Football Power Index. Arkansas is at #14, Memphis at #38.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

The AP voters don't care about power ratings, they only care about wins and losses. A 7-6 team getting in the top 25 is very, very, VERY rare.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

arkansasrazorback

Yea we played within 1 point of Bama, 7 of mississippi st., blew out 2 top 20 teams with shutouts but Memphis would have been a barn burner.  Maybe even a loss. 

sarcasm off.  Better say that because I'm not sure if you are smart enough to realize.

Adam Stokes

Having watched every game BYU played this season, we finished the season MUCH better than BYU, and Memphis squeaked by them in their bowl game.  Arkansas would beat Memphis by 20+ .  Not even close.

Hogsmo Kramer

Dude I am from Memphis, graduated from Memphis, and pull for them except if they're playing the hogs and no they would not have a chance.

They'd maybe hang for 2 quarters but that's about it.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: COCHISE on January 13, 2015, 08:41:15 am
Ole Miss at #17 is a joke.

^^^This^^^

That whole poll is a joke based on this right here.

mizzouman

Where would you Hog fans rank the Razorbacks for this past year and why?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: mizzouman on January 13, 2015, 10:22:14 am

IMO, somewhere 25-30 would be appropriate.  Where would you rank them?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogcard1964

Quote from: shotgun7 on January 13, 2015, 09:56:56 am
Did not expect to finish in the top 25, but we should start there next year.  :razorback:

Really?

I thought we would have came in somewhere around 17-20.

Deep Shoat

That's stupid.  Our win over Texas was the biggest and best outside of TCU's beatdown of Ole Miss and the playoff games.  Considered so by EVERYONE with a brain.

Check out the ratings and the coverage, if you to debate.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 09:58:05 am
I think there's a typo/mistake in that AP poll.  I didn't see Oklahoma anywhere in that season ending Top 25.

+1 :)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hogsmo Kramer

23-25 is what I thought.

Based on our wins AND our losses I think that's where we should've ended up.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 13, 2015, 10:24:52 am
Really?

I thought we would have came in somewhere around 17-20.
6 loss teams don't make the poll.

We'll be ranked next season from start to finish.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Swine-as-wine

Doesn't matter who we could beat in that list or not. Polls
with 6 loss teams on it, lose legitimacy.  Doesn't matter if
we may be the best 6 loss team in the nation. We ended up
barely above .500, and last in our division of the SEC. Va Tech
is the only team that beat the national champion. They're
7-6 too. They deserve to be in the top  25 about as much as
we do.....not at all. As much as it helps being ranked at the
end of this year, in as far as it helping to be ranked at the
beginning of next year........remember that Miss State wasn't
ranked at all starting this year, and ended up #1 at the time of
the first playoff rankings.

longpig

"Arkansas is a top 25 team that won't make it into the top 25 all season" - miscellaneous talking head
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pork Twain

Not the sharpest marbles
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

scorekeeper

With the CFP in place 2-25 doesn't really matter anymore.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

redeye

I'm not sure we deserve to be ranked and haven't really given it a thought.  However, if our name were Auburn, I bet we'd be ranked right now.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: scorekeeper on January 13, 2015, 11:13:21 am
With the CFP in place 2-25 doesn't really matter anymore.

Wait, what? They did in the BCS error? I don't guess I get your line of thinking.

bp

LRRandy

Quote from: redeye on January 13, 2015, 11:27:36 am
I'm not sure we deserve to be ranked and haven't really given it a thought.  However, if our name were Auburn, I bet we'd be ranked right now.
not with 6 losses.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 13, 2015, 10:35:52 am
6 loss teams don't make the poll.

We'll be ranked next season from start to finish.

I thought the justification for vaulting Ohio St. over two teams ranked ahead of them was the "overall body of work"?

LRRandy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 13, 2015, 02:13:16 pm
I thought the justification for vaulting Ohio St. over two teams ranked ahead of them was the "overall body of work"?
thats to make the playoff. This is the ap poll ranking
This is fun, isn't it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 13, 2015, 02:13:16 pm

True, but in our body of work we had 6 losses.

hogcard1964

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 02:27:28 pm
thats to make the playoff. This is the ap poll ranking

Ahhhh, I see.

Atlhogfan1

TCU is the new Boise who replaced VT. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on January 13, 2015, 10:37:29 am
Doesn't matter who we could beat in that list or not. Polls
with 6 loss teams on it, lose legitimacy.  Doesn't matter if
we may be the best 6 loss team in the nation. We ended up
barely above .500, and last in our division of the SEC. Va Tech
is the only team that beat the national champion. They're
7-6 too. They deserve to be in the top  25 about as much as
we do.....not at all. As much as it helps being ranked at the
end of this year, in as far as it helping to be ranked at the
beginning of next year........remember that Miss State wasn't
ranked at all starting this year, and ended up #1 at the time of
the first playoff rankings.

Polls should rank the best 25 teams in college football based on the consensus of the voters.  Records play too big of a role as they don't always provide near of context.  CFN does a nice job of trying to be realistic with their polls although they may get a little extreme sometimes.  Their way of doing it though is better. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 02:30:55 pm
TCU is the new Boise who replaced VT.

Wasn't Va Tech pretty good for a long time?