Jeff Long

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is he the man for the AD job at Arkansas

Yes , And needs to keep Bret B.
72 (14.3%)
Yes, just needs to hire a new head coach
103 (20.5%)
No, he is on a seperate page from the fanbase,hire someone new.
327 (65.1%)

Total Members Voted: 501

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: logic on September 26, 2017, 07:58:58 am
I liked Hatfield too. Hatfield did very well regular season because one week wasn't enough time to prepare for the wishbone or flexbone as Hatfield called it since few if any other teams ran the wishbone.  However, Hatfield was lousy in bowl games because teams had plenty of time to prepare.
Sat with him at a game several years ago. You knew you were around greatness. The flexbone was fun to watch. Not sure of his exact numbers but I think he won round 50 games in 5 years.

I have been around a long time being a Hog fan and I believe we've never had huge problems getting money from the big money people.  I am sure they required a few special things come their way but they were way overpaying for it.  I doubt Long is getting any more money from our typical boosters than about any decent person who showed he had the best interest of the University and its sports programs and would manage whatever given to that best interest.

There are rumors that those Skyboxes are not selling at the high prices asked for in the beginning.  I do not know that, personally. 

hoglady

At the LR Touchdown Club, Alvarez sure skewered Long (over that buy out) without ever mentioning him by name.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hassettsportsman

Respectfully, Jeff Long's singular legacy will be having fired the best coach the Razorbacks had.  His public castigation and relegating him to the wilderness only to be reincarnated at Louisville with Heisman quality competitors proves his ability to coach.  As for making mistakes, who will cast the first 100 stones?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hoglady on September 26, 2017, 07:11:45 pm
At the LR Touchdown Club, Alvarez sure skewered Long (over that buy out) without ever mentioning him by name.

I would love to have been there to hear his take on some of the issues between us.

hobhog

Quote from: hassettsportsman on September 26, 2017, 07:16:23 pm
Respectfully, Jeff Long's singular legacy will be having fired the best coach the Razorbacks had.  His public castigation and relegating him to the wilderness only to be reincarnated at Louisville with Heisman quality competitors proves his ability to coach.  As for making mistakes, who will cast the first 100 stones?

Louisville has some huge issues to deal with right now. Will not be surprised if doesn't bleed over into football. Thier AD probably won't survive.

I'll take Long as our AD right now. Things could get ugly with FBI sting.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hobhog on September 26, 2017, 09:39:35 pm
Louisville has some huge issues to deal with right now. Will not be surprised if doesn't bleed over into football. Thier AD probably won't survive.

I'll take Long as our AD right now. Things could get ugly with FBI sting.
If their AD gets canned. I know an integrity filled prospect who is familiar with some of their employees.Man what a fit this could be.

Hogs-n-Roses

After 18 days still at 2/3 against Jeff Long. Legitimate candidates for his replacement if this was to happen. Will be several high profile jobs out there come available due to baxetball distress.

oldhog63

I just don't think he is invested in the university beyond a paycheck/job. I just don't see the passion.

kaki

Quote from: oldhog63 on September 29, 2017, 07:55:22 pm
I just don't think he is invested in the university beyond a paycheck/job. I just don't see the passion.
this seems a pretty rash opinion, very subjective and likely not based on knowledge or much thought.

John Snow

Jeff acts like our opinion doesn't matter as long as the players grades good  and stay out trouble. Well it's our tax dollars and donations paying for Jeff Long and  Bret Beilama jobs so our opinion should matter . Jeff Long's personality comes across as whitty like the Little Rock Touchdown club Luncheon he acted like we were idiots after every question .He talked down to people  at the event acting like we weren't smart enough to understand Beilama's  hard life of getting paid 4 million a year situation !

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: John Snow on September 30, 2017, 01:55:27 am
Jeff acts like our opinion doesn’t matter as long as the players grades good  and stay out trouble. Well it’s our tax dollars and donations paying for Jeff Long and  Bret Beilama jobs so our opinion should matter . Jeff Long’s personality comes across as whitty like the Little Rock Touchdown club Luncheon he acted like we were idiots after every question .He talked down to people  at the event acting like we weren’t smart enough to understand Beilama’s  hard life of getting paid 4 million a year situation !
70,000 + paid attendance for today. He's not even unhappy a bit bout our situation. Chuck Barrett said prior to the game it looked like 55-60,000 actual attendance.

hog911

Quote from: Kevin on September 12, 2017, 09:47:40 am
I will go one step further, I think long probably knew about petrino's extra curricular activity
I guaranteed he did!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: hog911 on September 30, 2017, 04:11:04 pm
I guaranteed he did!

Absolutely and took any opportunity that presented itself to can him and boost his own "integrity image"
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Porkchop#1

After today's big win, I suspect Mr Long's numbers to improve quite a bit!

hog911

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 30, 2017, 05:42:40 pm
Just to let you know, NMST was considering dropping football a few years back, so I won't pat JL to hard on the back!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 30, 2017, 05:42:40 pm
Not sure if joking.

Hogs-n-Roses

This was started 3 weeks ago today at round 1:00 I believe. People are still voting and viewing. 8000+ views. Lots of folks still checking in I guess.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 02, 2017, 04:34:23 pm
This was started 3 weeks ago today at round 1:00 I believe. People are still voting and viewing. 8000+ views. Lots of folks still checking in I guess.

Hogs-n-Roses

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 02, 2017, 04:46:21 pm
Knew I could count on you.How was your day.

Productive. Just trying to help you keep this thread on the front page since its important to you.

KennyForAD

Quote from: rickfahr on September 18, 2017, 04:21:53 pm
Listened to the problem with Hogs sports in a radio interview last week.

Guys from the big Little Rock radio station were interviewing Long.

Problem 1: Those guys were too chicken&%*# to ask one question about Bielema. And that's an issue for all the state media. None of them hold anyone on The Hill accountable. They would lose "access."

Problem 2: Not once, not once, did Long mention anything on the field. All he talked about was money. Until the AD cares about winning, the coaches won't.

I understand how important money is. Yada. Yada. Yada. We are constantly ranked in the nation's top 20 in terms of revenue and profit. Yet, we don't reside there on the field.

I'm ready for that to change.

This is SO dead on correct!  This administration has insulated itself from any media pressure.  We have NO media, just total homers.  Big problem.  The cause: Jeff Long cares about Jeff Long, not the Hogs.

DLUXHOG

This thread is batshart crazy.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

KennyForAD

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 02, 2017, 04:49:19 pm
This thread is batshart crazy.....

Are you satisfied with 2-6 in the SEC every year?   

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 04:48:35 pm
This is SO dead on correct!  This administration has insulated itself from any media pressure.  We have NO media, just total homers.  Big problem.  The cause: Jeff Long cares about Jeff Long, not the Hogs.
I don't even know if I buy into this anymore. He didn't come here with any malice in mind. I just think he was a bad pick for a SEC team. I think he was put in a position which seemed self promoting but I have my doubts bout that. I think BP had to much power and his ego was out of control and Long made a bad decision in a jam. Now its snowballed on him with a bad HC pick. Either way given his other choices before, I don't think he or they are what we need and are bad fits which don't need to be picking our next coach.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 02, 2017, 05:03:07 pm
I don't even know if I buy into this anymore. He didn't come here with any malice in mind. I just think he was a bad pick for a SEC team. I think he was put in a position which seemed self promoting but I have my doubts bout that. I think BP had to much power and his ego was out of control and Long made a bad decision in a jam. Now its snowballed on him with a bad HC pick. Either way given his other choices before, I don't think he or they are what we need and are bad fits which don't need to be picking our next coach.

I don't think he has any malice either.  The problem is he has no love for us.  Its just a job to him.  When the crisis happened, he used it to promote HIMSELF, not the UofA.   Petrino had to be fired.  No doubt.  But Long prolonged it, fake cried on TV, lied about potential lawsuits, dragged the coach through the mud, and milked the crisis all he could -  ALL to promote his OWN brand.  It was great for him.  Got him instant fame and chair of the playoff committee, etc.  But it was very bad for the UofA, especially in how we are viewed by coaches we might want to hire.  No coach wants to work for a man that everyone watched throw a coach under the bus.  (More accurately, Petrino threw himself under, but Long backed the bus over him a couple times.)

DLUXHOG

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 04:53:59 pm
Are you satisfied with 2-6 in the SEC every year?   

we've only averaged, since joining the SEC, a season SEC record of 4-4 per season. (we've never had an undefeated SEC season).   And we've had 7, 2-6 SEC season records, since joining the SEC, and only one of them has been under Bielema's watch..............   what's your point?

HognitiveDissonance

Jeff Long does everything about his job extremely well...except hiring and firing coaches, which is the most important role of an AD. Going after Jim Grobe, Tommy Bowden, etc shows he just doesn't have the gift for identifying coaches who can succeed here.
His best hires are Bielema and Anderson, who can best be described as 'pretty good'.
I'm not sure Petrino counts since he was also fired, and only after Grobe and Bowden didn't work out. An almost accidental hire anyway.

PonderinHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 03, 2017, 08:47:01 am
we've only averaged, since joining the SEC, a season SEC record of 4-4 per season. (we've never had an undefeated SEC season).   And we've had 7, 2-6 SEC season records, since joining the SEC, and only one of them has been under Bielema's watch..............   what's your point?
0-8 < 2-6

What's your point?

jkstock04

Jeff acts like our opinion doesn't matter as long as the players grades good  and stay out trouble. Well it's our tax dollars and donations paying for Jeff Long and  Bret Beilama jobs so our opinion should matter . Jeff Long's personality comes across as whitty like the Little Rock Touchdown club Luncheon he acted like we were idiots after every question .He talked down to people  at the event acting like we weren't smart enough to understand Beilama's  hard life of getting paid 4 million a year situation !
This is less than surprising.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DLUXHOG

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 04, 2017, 08:11:15 am
0-8 < 2-6

What's your point?

You seem to think that 2-6 is a rarity, I was simply pointing out, a) we've been there several times, and b) our average season SEC record isn't much better....

RME

Hell of an argument when you can't even spell "Bielema" correctly. You're probably one of those who expects a politician you didn't even vote for to cater to you and vote in line with your views because he/she is paid by your tax dollars.

Hogs-n-Roses

Who am I (team) 1999-  3-8, 1998-  4-7, 1997-  9-3, 1996- 9-2, 1995-  7-4, 1994-  4-7, 1993-  5-6, 1992- 2-9, 1991- 5-6,
1990-  5-6.   80's were nearly as bad.

Hogs-n-Roses

hogcard1964

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 03, 2017, 11:23:55 pm
Jeff Long does everything about his job extremely well...except hiring and firing coaches, which is the most important role of an AD. Going after Jim Grobe, Tommy Bowden, etc shows he just doesn't have the gift for identifying coaches who can succeed here.
His best hires are Bielema and Anderson, who can best be described as 'pretty good'.
I'm not sure Petrino counts since he was also fired, and only after Grobe and Bowden didn't work out. An almost accidental hire anyway.

Bielema is statistically one of the worst coaches to ever coach here.  What is "pretty good" about that?

Seebs

Long is a Top 5 AD in the country. Your ax is ground to the nub.  You will be gone before Long is.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hogs-n-Roses

Who am I (team)     1978-  4-7, 1979-  0-10, 1980-  8-4, 1981-  7-5, 1982-  9-2-1, 1983-  9-1-1,1984-  9-1-1,1985-  6-5
1986-  6-6, 1987-  7-5,1988- 7-5

Seebs

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 04, 2017, 09:27:34 pm
Who am I (team)     1978-  4-7, 1979-  0-10, 1980-  8-4, 1981-  7-5, 1982-  9-2-1, 1983-  9-1-1,1984-  9-1-1,1985-  6-5
1986-  6-6, 1987-  7-5,1988- 7-5

The number of times you successfully cruised Boyle Park at night?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hogs-n-Roses

Times up.  Florida

I put these lists up here to show that teams of National prominence today once were very mediocre and would go as far as to say weren't as much a national power as we were years before. They made moves in AD's and coaches which flipped the switch in recruiting and they skyrocketed to success. I believe the right coaches and systems could be put in place here and we could move way up the ladder in recruiting. I know some of you don't think we can do it but I do.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Seebs on October 04, 2017, 09:32:47 pm
The number of times you successfully cruised Boyle Park at night?
What is Boyle park

RedRazorHog

Quote from: yraciv on September 11, 2017, 09:36:55 am
High graduation rates, successful programs across the board, impressive facility growth, and respect of his colleagues across the country.  The football program may have things to work out, but that is a small part of who an AD is. Jeff Long has been and will continue to be an excellent man for the job!

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-earn-top-20-directors-cup-finish/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-ad-wins-national-award/

I believe this poster is Jeff Long!
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: RedRazorHog on October 05, 2017, 07:05:36 am
read the name backwards

Hogs-n-Roses

Gchamblee your slippin.

gchamblee

gchamblee

I know this is your best thread ever and you want desperately to keep it on the front page. Ill help you keep it bumped up man.

Vantage 8 dude

October 06, 2017, 01:15:17 pm #295 Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:45:06 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: RedRazorHog on October 05, 2017, 07:05:36 am
Whether it is or isn't are you going to argue those particular stats/facts? Just curious.

Redhogs

Quote from: Seebs on October 04, 2017, 09:26:03 pm
Long is a Top 5 AD in the country. Your ax is ground to the nub.  You will be gone before Long is.
I hope someone else sees him the way you do and "steals" him away.  ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hogs-n-Roses

Good evening everyone whats goin on.

Seebs

I will not say you are right, but you are less wrong than you once were.

Good enough?

MushroomCloudHog

Long seems more like a someone  that would be a better fit in an academic administrative position,  not Athletic Director.