Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Preseason Hot Seats.

Started by Bomis Hawg, May 27, 2005, 01:52:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomis Hawg

May 27, 2005, 01:52:16 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 12:06:14 am by Bomis Hawg
PRESEASON HOT SEAT! 10 coaches closely scrutinized...

A couple of my interesting ones...

2.  Jim Haslett, New Orleans Saints
2004 record: 8-8 (missed playoffs)

In his defense... the Saints did win their final four regular season games to almost make the post-season.
... but then again... the fact they started 4-8 with the talent they have doesn't speak well of their coaching, especially since their late surge was when they had little to lose.
Will he last the 2005 season? Don't bet the farm. Fans were up in arms at the Saints disappointing showing in 2004 and there were regular 'Fire Haslett' calls in the stands and on local "Nawlins" media. He kept his job thanks to the late surge, but without an early one in 2005 expect Haslett to be in the hottest of seats.

3.  Mike Holmgren, Seattle Seahawks
2004 record: 9-7 (qualified for playoffs)

In his defense... the Seahawks did play in the post-season again in 2004, despite team turmoil.
... but then again... the Seahawks once again underachieved. Many saw Holmgren as a savior a few years ago when he arrived in Seattle, but in recent years--especially 2004--the Seahawks haven't shown they have what it takes to go to the Super Bowl.

Will he last the 2005 season? It's hard to say. Team brass hasn't come out and put Holmgren on notice, but fans in Seattle are griping and it's Holmgren's little decisions that seem to be taking the biggest toll. His inability to find one more carry for Shaun Alexander to win the 2004 rushing title on the regular seasons final day seemed to irk everyone in Seattle, and the teams lack of cohesion and focus are tell-tale signs that Holmgren has much work to do.

I am surprised Haslett is even still there.  A team full of talent but less wins.  As fas as Holmgren, I bandwagon them (Like I will bandwagon the Jags) are decent.  I'm sure he'll be there next year baring a horrid year, but maybe they can rebound.

Boared

A dark horse candidate would be Bill Cowher. Outside of the SB loss to the Dallas Convicts, he can't seem to get to the big game anymore, even with home-field advantage in the AFCC. For some one who's been considered such a great motivator, he can't get his guys over the hump. I know some fans of other teams admire him and say Steelers fans shouldn't complain, but every head coach in the AFC has a SB ring, except.....

Big Papa Satan

Every single coach in the AFC?  When did Nick Saban get his?

Boared

My bad. Every coach in the AFC North was what I meant to say--Crennel, Lewis, & Billick. Most Steeler fans feel that unless Cowher takes the KC job (one theory floating around) when Vermeil retires, he'll be w/ the Steelers as long as Dan Rooney runs things. 

RebelliousHog

Tice- Comes back with  a decent year ( and he can in the NFC north) Moss leaving will be a benefit

Haslett- Gone, unless they win big.

Holmgren- Gone, without big wins. Already took GM job away

Smith- Comes back

Gibbs- Comes back, but shouldn't

Shanahan- Comes back (Strange draft)

Gruden- comes back

Green- comes back

Martz- Comes back if successful- He's a bubble guy IMO

Vermeil- Comes back, but defense gotta play too. I can't see him getting fired over the D, but can see D-Co leaving.

Can't see any leaving before end of season. That's not that common in the NFL as opposed to MLB or NBA.

Haslett, Holmgren, and Martz are the one who should be nervous IMO.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci