Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buyout set at $11.935m

Started by ricepig, January 30, 2018, 04:29:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

That's over a million more than Houston Nutt in half the time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cypress rock

Rice isn't that about that amount owed on his remaining contract?

hogfansince79

That's over a million per SEC victory... jeez.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

buldozer

Good riddance, poor contract negotiation. No big deal though, the RF is flush and hasn't tapped the reserves in years.

ricepig

DLUXHOG

"The nonprofit, funded by donors to support university athletics, is responsible for the final agreement with Bielema and for paying his severance."    Wow....  that's some serious "severance "......Wow....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ricepig

PorkSoda

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 30, 2018, 04:53:45 pm
"The nonprofit, funded by donors to support university athletics, is responsible for the final agreement with Bielema and for paying his severance."    Wow....  that's some serious "severance "......Wow....
to be fair, he risked his career coming here, and lost.  His career basically over.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Letsroll1200

For arguably the worst coach in the last 30 years.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 05:24:43 pm
to be fair, he risked his career coming here, and lost.  His career basically over.

I could only wish my career could and would end like that.....   Wow....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkSoda

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 30, 2018, 05:47:15 pm
I could only wish my career could and would end like that.....   Wow....
no doubt.  I don't even want to think about how many years I will have to work to make what he's getting in a month for not working.

of course his pales in comparison to what the bank execs got for crashing the market in 2008
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PygmalionEffect2

Nice.

Glad the money wasn't wasted on scholarships for a 1,000 students.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Poker_hog

Why is his career over?  He could coach another 20 years or more.  He's not getting a head coach job at a top 40 program until he proves himself, but there's plenty of time for that.  Especially, if he learned from his mistakes here.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PorkSoda

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 30, 2018, 06:00:09 pm
Why is his career over?  He could coach another 20 years or more.  He's not getting a head coach job at a top 40 program until he proves himself, but there's plenty of time for that.  Especially, if he learned from his mistakes here.
maybe not completely over, but he is going to be starting close to the bottom again.  I doubt he gets a job at a P5 program and it will be more than the 3 years left on his buyout before he does.

Hog N Bama

26.2Hog

That "risk" was more than mitigated by the $30+ million he received for his five years of being Bret Bielema here.

idochog

Over 30million we've paid the biggest loser. I think he's gonna be ok
I love Jesus!

PorkSoda

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 30, 2018, 06:07:35 pm
That "risk" was more than mitigated by the $30+ million he received for his five years of being Bret Bielema here.

that is kind of the point.  getting him to make a jump from his secure spot in Wisc to an unsecure spot in Arkansas required making him financially secure.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 06:12:49 pm
that is kind of the point.  getting him to make a jump from his secure spot in Wisc to an unsecure spot in Arkansas required making him financially secure.

I have a feeling he knew his days were numbered in Madison
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

26.2Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 06:12:49 pm

Except that he wsn't rewarded with that huge buyout until after he went 6-6 in 2014 and beat a whipdog Texas in the Texas Bowl.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 30, 2018, 06:18:40 pm
Except that he wsn't rewarded with that huge buyout until after he went 6-6 in 2014 and beat a whipdog Texas in the Texas Bowl.
he already had a huge buyout, the only thing that changed was he got an extension.

in essense it was before and after the exact same contract.  he gets his base salary prorated throughout the length of the contract.  so when his base went from 3.2 to 3.85 per year, so did his buyout.

PorkSoda

Quote from: twistitup on January 30, 2018, 06:16:07 pm
can't blame him for making the jump while his stock was still high.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Did we get him to jump or did he want to get out from Pappy's shadow and we provided a great opportunity?  A down program one year removed from an 11 win season. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

26.2Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 06:21:40 pm
he already had a huge buyout, the only thing that changed was he got an extension.

in essense it was before and after the exact same contract.  he gets his base salary prorated throughout the length of the contract.  so when his base went from 3.2 to 3.85 per year, so did his buyout.

Actually, he would have been owed only 1 million when fired last year under his original 6 year contract.

EDIT: the link reporting that 1 million buyout was apparently incorrect. 

But the question remains, why reward a 7-6 season with a raise, extension, and a higher one-sided buyout?  Totally unnecessary.

ParkerSchnabel

Fair ? He risked his career ? He sat on his backside and made excuses bc he knew he had the buyout to fall back on. All he did was destroy our program. He doesn't deserve anyone's pity. He's a sorry excuse for a human being.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 30, 2018, 06:29:26 pm
Actually, he would have been owed only 1 million when fired last year under his original 6 year contract.

EDIT: the link reporting that 1 million buyout was apparently incorrect. 

But the question remains, why reward a 7-6 season with a raise, extension, and a higher one-sided buyout?  Totally unnecessary.

yeah, a 20% raise and a big extension was a big much for winning 2 conference games in 2 years.

I think Long and/or the BOT jumped the gun just a tad on that one.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 30, 2018, 06:33:51 pm
Fair ? He risked his career ? He sat on his backside and made excuses bc he knew he had the buyout to fall back on. All he did was destroy our program. He doesn't deserve anyone's pity. He's a sorry excuse for a human being.
you can be a good coach and still lose in the SEC.  the level of competition here is unlike any other conference.

of course that doesn't excuse coastal carolina etc.

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 06:51:54 pm
you can be a good coach and still lose in the SEC.  the level of competition here is unlike any other conference.

Dude is NOT a good coach.. I'd be willing to bet that he's either severely concussed from his playing days or darned near retarded. Geez some people.

Now you find Coastal or how about Toledo ? Brett is retarded or concussed. Had no business taking this job. Should have been fired at the end of season one. Too many supporters from his "friends"

TN HOG

I regret we have a society that rewards regression.

noun: regression; plural noun: regressions
a return to a former or less developed state.
Play like a Champion!

Mr. Porkleone

Shame of Jeff Long for setting this buyout up. Jeff over reacted after CBB beat Texas and sets Razorback Athletics back years.

TebowHater

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 30, 2018, 06:56:00 pm
Shame of Jeff Long for setting this buyout up. Jeff over reacted after CBB beat Texas and sets Razorback Athletics back years.

This and this only.

Sivad

A hell of a lot of money to make a failed attempt to hire Gus Malzahn and then settle for a coach that has never been to a bowl game and has a losing record.

jvanhorn

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 05:54:31 pm
no doubt.  I don't even want to think about how many years I will have to work to make what he's getting in a month for not working.

of course his pales in comparison to what the bank execs got for crashing the market in 2008

well Trump and boys removed all the safeguards of that happening again, little as they were , so just stick around for a few years.  You will get a lesson in those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, not that it matters i guess.  Hawkings says we are a doomed planet--and he is a genius and as non political as you can get.  Won't matter to us but if you love your grandkids you might be a little worried.  Not that anyone wants to think about stuff like that, lol.

RME

Quote from: TN HOG on January 30, 2018, 06:54:32 pm
I regret we have a society that rewards regression.

noun: regression; plural noun: regressions
a return to a former or less developed state.

He received the contract extension in February 2015, after the 2014 season concluded.

2013: 3 wins
2014: 7 wins
Early 2015: Contract Extension
2015: 8 wins

Downhill from there.

Might wanna look up the definition for "progression."

I am no Bielema fan by any means. God Almighty am I glad the dude is gone. But "regression" wasn't rewarded here. Your post is just inaccurate. Had he won 7 in 2013 and then 3 in 2014 and still received an extension, then yes, regression would have been rewarded. As it stands, progression was rewarded, just too early.

goodguytex

Bielema has stated he's been contacted by some NFL teams about coaching. As an assistant coach. And assistant NFL coaches do make big money. So his career is not over.

Mjs84

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 30, 2018, 06:52:44 pm
Dude is NOT a good coach.. I'd be willing to bet that he's either severely concussed from his playing days or darned near retarded. Geez some people.

Now you find Coastal or how about Toledo ? Brett is retarded or concussed. Had no business taking this job. Should have been fired at the end of season one. Too many supporters from his "friends"

Flrazrback

The career isnt over if he chooses it not to be. However having 10+ million sitting in the bank collecting interest doesn't always compel a person to be hungry for any job that may come about.

hawganatic

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 30, 2018, 06:29:26 pm

Makes the job more marketable to future coaches.  Win big or get rich trying...

Problem isn't with the way Arkansas negotiated the contract.  The problem is this is what the market is demanding right now.

hawganatic

Quote from: goodguytex on January 30, 2018, 07:13:41 pm
Bielema has stated he's been contacted by some NFL teams about coaching. As an assistant coach. And assistant NFL coaches do make big money. So his career is not over.

His career isn't over.  He still garners a lot of respect in the coaching circles.  He isn't going to get a head SEC gig any time soon, but he can get a job with a lower tier school (the FL schools seem to be where coaches go to rehab their careers) or jump to the NFL like you said.

Losing at Arkansas doesn't kill anybody's career.  Kinda says a lot about our program...

Inhogswetrust

Nobody gets ahead in their career without taking some calculated risks.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Razorbackers

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 30, 2018, 06:56:00 pm

If you're upset about the contract, you should direct that toward the foundation, not Jeff Long.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 30, 2018, 07:39:12 pm
Nobody gets ahead in their career without taking some calculated risks.
and this one didn't work out for either side.

Financial compensation aside, he is going to be knocked down a few rungs.

McKdaddy

Quote from: twistitup on January 30, 2018, 06:16:07 pm

My Wiscy relatives felt he was beginning to feel some heat.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

gohogs1969

I actually harbor no bad feeling towards Bret and the buyout. A contract is a contract and he tried his best. It didn't work out. All SEC coaches get rich.

Nashville Fan

Until 16 games ago, a lot of people on here were happy. Few people foresaw the meltdown. Line problems gave a few people a wiff. But, most were happy. If it weren't for injuries he might still be here. Same way Nutt hung on for so long.
Pittman or Bust!

Hou-Hog

Epic failure by JLong.  This alone is reason for him to have been fired.  Terrible business man. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

Yeah, poor Bret.  Bet it's going to be a struggle trying to survive on just shy of a 12 million $$$ nest egg.  Maybe he'll get hired at Walmart as a greeter....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: Hou-Hog on January 30, 2018, 10:05:02 pm
Epic failure by JLong.  This alone is reason for him to have been fired.  Terrible business man.
To think his legacy at Arkansas will be firing Petrino, hiring Bielema, and Pepsi. Surprised a few of you let him leave alive....
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!