Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want a National Championship

Started by jkelly107, November 09, 2013, 08:22:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jkelly107

Even the most most die hard BB supporters would have to admit that BB is not a great coach. What scares me is if he has a few good years like say HDN and were stuck again.
The Arkansas job requires a great coach to win a NC. That is what we want right? As a razorback fan I want to be in the NC race every year and win one or two. BB didn't win a NC in WI. so what makes anyone think he will here. It will take a coach like Art Briles. Bobby Petrino, Gus Malzahn, Chip Kelly ,Chris Peterson and a few others. I am a Malzahn fan and truly feel like he would have been to AR as Briles is to Baylor. A coach who is connected with the coaches within our state and can recruit nationally. That ship may have sailed. I just don't want fans to get complacent and settle for a few 8 or 9 win seasons and think that's the best we can hope for. If nothing else BP has proven you can win big at AR. Don't settle for HDN.
Teams like Oregon, Boise State, TCU and Baylor have been in the NC picture on a frequent basis over the last few years. I see no reason why Arkansas can't. Arkansas has great facilities and is a beautiful area to live.  We just need the right coach.

Kenny Hawgins

Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

The Boar War

Just to summarize :
Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:22:10 pm
Even the most most die hard BB supporters would have to admit that BB is not a great coach.

I am a Malzahn fan and truly feel like he would have been to AR as Briles is to Baylor. A coach who is connected with the coaches within our state and can recruit nationally.

Pickwick Hog

Briles first 2 years @ Baylor...
4-8
4-8

SHUT UP!
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

hoggusamoungus

Guess we haven't had the right coach since 1964 when we were in the all white SWC and not today's SEC.  Holtz and the rest since then have all sucked.

PonderinHog

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

MojoHog

Go Hogs!
Go Pack Go!

jkelly107

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 09, 2013, 08:29:32 pm
Guess we haven't had the right coach since 1964 when we were in the all white SWC and not today's SEC.  Holtz and the rest since then have all sucked.
Holtz and Bobby could have won big here consistently. Holtz and the Admin didn't see eye to eye and we all know what happened with BP.

WilsonHog

I predict you are going to live a miserable existence as a Hog fan.

WPS007

Face the facts not going to win one anytime soon  :razorback:

jkelly107

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on November 09, 2013, 08:29:25 pm
4-8
4-8

SHUT UP!
2006    Wisconsin    12–1    7–1    T–2nd    W Capital One    5    7
2007    Wisconsin    9–4    5–3    T–4th    L Outback    21    24
2008    Wisconsin    7–6    3–5    T–6th    L Champs Sports       
2009    Wisconsin    10–3    5–3    T–4th    W Champs Sports    16    16
2010    Wisconsin    11–2    7–1    T–1st    L Rose†    8    7
2011    Wisconsin    11–3    6–2    1st (Leaders)    L Rose†    11    10
2012    Wisconsin    8–5    4–4    3rd (Leaders)*    Rose‡†    23‡    
No National Championships
so STFU

Matt Burks

I disagree. Even Nutt had a chance to be in a National Championship game, but blew it in the SEC championship game against Fla. Petrino had a chance to be in the championship discussion, but that team got destroyed by LSU.
It's all about getting the right type of players for the right system or a once in a lifetime player like Dmac or Scam Newton. I would bet there are lot of the juniors and seniors on this hog team that CBB wouldn't have recruited if he was here years ago. Honestly I think many were last minute recruits even for Petrino.

jkelly107

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 09, 2013, 08:35:06 pm
I predict you are going to live a miserable existence as a Hog fan.
I will always be a hog fan. Just tired of saying we will get them next year.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on November 09, 2013, 08:29:25 pm
4-8
4-8

SHUT UP!
Not to mention the inherent problems with a spread.  Even A&M had a heisman winner but dropped two SEC games.  Almost every offense will have a down game and running the spread/hunh is basically resorting to hoping that the D can hold up.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:34:54 pm
Holtz and Bobby could have won big here consistently. Holtz and the Admin didn't see eye to eye and we all know what happened with BP.

You missed the point/sarcasm.  Holtz and Petrino were good coaches but still didn't win a NC.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:37:12 pm
so STFU

Malzahn, Briles, Kelly, Petrino, Petersen...ZERO combined championships.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

apcapri

You realize none of the coaches you mentioned have won a NC as a head coach....so what makes them great and BB not great?

WilsonHog

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:38:36 pm

If by "get them" you mean win a national title....

PonderinHog

Wasn't CBB's Wisconsin team ranked #1 for a week or so a few years ago?

Matt Burks

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:34:54 pm

After the last LSU game when Bobby famously cussed across the field, that was the first time I seriously questioned if he got get us over the hump because of how bad LSU dominated us. And how quickly we forget how close Petrino was to losing a lot of games such as the Vanderbilt game.

Chief Mac

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:37:12 pm
so STFU

how many conference and national titles did Petrino win while he was here?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 09, 2013, 08:46:23 pm
how many conference and national titles did Petrino win while he was here?
He's a GusBusser.

WPS007

Pickwick Hog

HDN won more Division titles than Petrino. Ouch!

jkelly107

Quote from: apcapri on November 09, 2013, 08:40:21 pm
You realize none of the coaches you mentioned have won a NC as a head coach....so what makes them great and BB not great?
They have all had their team in the NC picture and are all coaches I think can do more with less than anyone else I can think of. I would give Gus credit for the 2010 NC before I would Chizik.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:38:36 pm

List the freshmen that would not be starting if Malzahn were here

hoggusamoungus

hostilehog

The gene pool around here could use a little chlorine

PonderinHog

Chief Mac

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:52:32 pm
They have all had their team in the NC picture and are all coaches I think can do more with less than anyone else I can think of. I would give Gus credit for the 2010 NC before I would Chizik.

Bielema as well had a couple of his teams in the NC picture
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

I would give Cam Newton the credit

moses_007

I just want to win a football game.  My Razorback buddy passed away October 12th, and I've been hoping since then that the team would win a game for him.  But no dice.

jkelly107

I took the my children and wife to Dallas when we played KSU and was really pumped for the next season. I truly thought we were looking at a chance to be in the NC game. Then everything fell apart. Kinda felt like I got kicked in the balls when JLS was hired. Then to see the lack of progress that this staff has made with player development and recruiting it just pisses me off.

PonderinHog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 09, 2013, 08:57:27 pm
I just want to win a football game.  My Razorback buddy passed away October 12th, and I've been hoping since then that the team would win a game for him.  But no dice.
Perspective...

hogsanity

Can we get bans on anyone comparing bb to hdn. They add NOTHING to ANY thread.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BPsTheMan

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:58:49 pm
I took the my children and wife to Dallas when we played KSU and was really pumped for the next season. I truly thought we were looking at a chance to be in the NC game. Then everything fell apart. Kinda felt like I got kicked in the balls when JLS was hired. Then to see the lack of progress that this staff has made with player development and recruiting it just pisses me off.

jkelly107

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 09, 2013, 08:54:48 pm
Really ???  Read his posts.
As far a Malzahn goes. Yes I think he is a great coach. Have watched what he has been able to accomplish his entire career. I also think Jimmy Johnson and a few others that we passed on or didn't even go after have been huge mistakes. Just want Arkansas to get a great coach and keep him long enough to enjoy a few years of success

BPsTheMan

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 09:03:51 pm
As far a Malzahn goes. Yes I think he is a great coach. Have watched what he has been able to accomplish his entire career. I also think Jimmy Johnson and a few others that we passed on or didn't even go after have been huge mistakes. Just want Arkansas to get a great coach and keep him long enough to enjoy a few years of success

apcapri

None have been any closer to a NC than BB...and as a Head coach...Gus hasn't even sniffed a NC.

PonderinHog

So we get one and you're not happy...

hoggusamoungus

Lowered your expectations from wanting a NC to enjoying a few years of success in less than an hour.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:22:10 pm
Even the most most die hard BB supporters would have to admit that BB is not a great coach. What scares me is if he has a few good years like say HDN and were stuck again.
The Arkansas job requires a great coach to win a NC. That is what we want right? As a razorback fan I want to be in the NC race every year and win one or two. BB didn't win a NC in WI. so what makes anyone think he will here. It will take a coach like Art Briles. Bobby Petrino, Gus Malzahn, Chip Kelly ,Chris Peterson and a few others. I am a Malzahn fan and truly feel like he would have been to AR as Briles is to Baylor. A coach who is connected with the coaches within our state and can recruit nationally. That ship may have sailed. I just don't want fans to get complacent and settle for a few 8 or 9 win seasons and think that's the best we can hope for. If nothing else BP has proven you can win big at AR. Don't settle for HDN.
Teams like Oregon, Boise State, TCU and Baylor have been in the NC picture on a frequent basis over the last few years. I see no reason why Arkansas can't. Arkansas has great facilities and is a beautiful area to live.  We just need the right coach.

You do know his team is 6th in the Sunbelt. Yep that mighty bastion of football - the Sunbelt.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

jkelly107

Quote from: apcapri on November 09, 2013, 09:06:53 pm
None have been any closer to a NC than BB...and as a Head coach...Gus hasn't even sniffed a NC.
Look at it this way. With all the big lineman he was able to get at WI and he played his style of ball with his players he wasn't able to win the NC.
Do you think he will be able to recruit better at AR than he did at WI. ?
I hope so but so far it's not looking to good. Do u think we will be able to out recruit Bama or LSU? I don't. Wish we could but those states seem to produce more D1 talent. So what makes you think we can play smash mouth football and run it down their throat?  Arkansas needs to be able to level the playing field. We have to be able to spread the field and make teams play the pass so we can run the ball.

jkelly107

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 09, 2013, 09:07:45 pm
Lowered your expectations from wanting a NC to enjoying a few years of success in less than an hour.
My definition of success is a NC

BPsTheMan

jkelly, I've asked you three times what Hog freshmen would not be starting if Malzahn were here this year

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 09:17:24 pm

My definition of success is a NC

So you went from wanting a NC to a few NCs.  Get ready to die a disappointed man.

jkelly107

Quote from: locusbug on November 09, 2013, 09:08:58 pm
You do know his team is 6th in the Sunbelt. Yep that mighty bastion of football - the Sunbelt.
He might be the biggest SOB that ever lived but there is no way you can say the Guy cant coach.

Chief Mac

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 09:15:58 pm
Look at it this way. With all the big lineman he was able to get at WI and he played his style of ball with his players he wasn't able to win the NC.
Do you think he will be able to recruit better at AR than he did at WI. ?
I hope so but so far it's not looking to good. Do u think we will be able to out recruit Bama or LSU? I don't. Wish we could but those states seem to produce more D1 talent. So what makes you think we can play smash mouth football and run it down their throat?  Arkansas needs to be able to level the playing field. We have to be able to spread the field and make teams play the pass so we can run the ball.

and neither has Petrino, Kelly, Briles, Peterson.  Offensive recruiting to ANY scheme has never been the problem.  When will you people realize that DEFENSIVE recruiting is why we haven't won a championship and what we have to improve in order to compete with Bama and LSU.