Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kiffin, Kiffin, Kiffin [is it that difficult to keep all posts about Kiffin in 1 thread?]

Started by neahog, November 27, 2007, 04:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems like its down to 2, which one do you want to coach the Hogs?

Kiffin
427 (83.2%)
Tuberville
86 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 462

Voting closed: December 03, 2007, 02:07:03 pm

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Razorsharp on November 28, 2007, 12:13:29 pm
Do we really want to hire a guy who is about to get fired?  He is 3-8.  He is not the answer.  I would want this job to if I were about to get fired.  You know the next coach at Arkansas is going to be here a minimum of 3 years so that gives him a paycheck for 3 more years at least, probably 5 to be more exact. 

Didn't Pete Carroll get replaced in New England? Was he fired?

Would you have take Spurrier after he was canned by Washington?

Think about it. There's a difference in college and pros.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

silverhawg

Kiffin is young (32) INNOVATIVE..REMEMBER USC?...& grew up with a college/nfl coach (his dad is Monte Kiffin..with Holtz from 1977-1980 at UA..& still coaches defense in Tampa...) I think we would be lucky to get him....

dougieritch

He hung 70 & 50 on Arkansas, won two NCAA Championships...I think the guy can coach...Stupid Post!

LAHOGG

Quote from: beansandtaters on November 28, 2007, 11:07:55 am
Here's why I believe this to be true:

Does anyone remember the offense that he and Sarkisian ran at USC? The base formation was ACE with two TEs. This formation would work perfect with our personell considering we will have 3 capacble TEs returning in Cleveland, Davie, and DJ Williams.  You may recall all the of the playaction rollouts used by Booty to Fred Davis in the 2nd butt stomping they gave us. This would make Dick more effective by mixing it up on the defense.

Additionally, he likes to get the RB out into space by sending him in motion, spreading him out as a WR. Think Reggie Bush. This is why I think this hire would lead to Felix returning for his SR. season. If not, Smith, Barnett, and Curtis, will be fine in the system.

Finally, if the rumors are true about the package that comes with Kiffin, our D would be vastly improved. Say what you will about Monte being old...the guy is a flat out coach. He teaches DBs and invented the Tampa 2 defense. Say what you will about Coach O, but the guy can flat out recruit. I suspect our incoming recruiting class would add several surprising gets if this guy were brought here. Unlike with Nutt, players signed at Ole Miss to play for Coach O, not to play for Ole Miss.

That's my rundown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tight enough for all of us. WOOO PIIIGGG SOOOOIIIEEEE Baby!!! Beat those Tigers Tonight!!!

You nailed it.  I'll give you a virtual +1

oldfart

Id love to have lane Kiffin. i think we need a young agressive coach with a good background with some capable assistants who also are going to be agressive recruiters. dont think monte would be part of the package tho.  odgeron might be the key here, he is a good defensive coach and a great recruiter obviously. 

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 28, 2007, 12:34:13 pm
Does anybody know any specifics on Kiffin- his coaching style? what type of offense he runs? etc.?

He runs an offensive style that scores many points.  I'll put it to you this way.  He was offensive coordinator for two Heisman Trophy winners....one a quarterback and one a runningback.  How is THAT for balance?

More specifically, he runs the West Coast offense.  He adapts well to the talent he has.  USC had the reputation for slinging it all over the place, but they were a lot more balanced than people gave them credit for.  LenDale White and Reggie Bush both got plenty of carries to keep them happy (which bodes well if Kiffin comes for keeping both Curtis and Devin Thomas).  He also coaches some 1,000 yard receivers in college which is not easy, but will help in keeping Jarious Wright and the others WR's that have committed.  Perhaps, it could at least get at an-home visit with Joe Adams before he signs a LOI with Southern Cal.

He's young (31) which is great because it could turn into a longterm hire, if it pans out just right, dynasty may not be too far-fetched a word.

Every year he was recruiting coordinator for USC, they had the #1 recruiting class in the nation.  His dad was a defensive coordinator here for a couple years so is a small tie to the state.

brewkowski

Thank for a refreshing post about X's and O's...and the possibilities that lies ahead with a change that is about to come for all of us.  I just hope and pray we get someone in here that brings the topics of optimism instead of what we have been listening to for over a year now...
It is time for some real leadership.  

hogsanity

Some of you wanted him gone so bad that you actually wanted us to lose games.  So, now he is gone, and people are complaining abut how it happened.  Why?  If you wanted him gone, you got what you wanted. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

biggiepiggie

Quote from: beansandtaters on November 28, 2007, 11:07:55 am
Here's why I believe this to be true:

Does anyone remember the offense that he and Sarkisian ran at USC? The base formation was ACE with two TEs. This formation would work perfect with our personell considering we will have 3 capacble TEs returning in Cleveland, Davie, and DJ Williams.  You may recall all the of the playaction rollouts used by Booty to Fred Davis in the 2nd butt stomping they gave us. This would make Dick more effective by mixing it up on the defense.

Additionally, he likes to get the RB out into space by sending him in motion, spreading him out as a WR. Think Reggie Bush. This is why I think this hire would lead to Felix returning for his SR. season. If not, Smith, Barnett, and Curtis, will be fine in the system.

Finally, if the rumors are true about the package that comes with Kiffin, our D would be vastly improved. Say what you will about Monte being old...the guy is a flat out coach. He teaches DBs and invented the Tampa 2 defense. Say what you will about Coach O, but the guy can flat out recruit. I suspect our incoming recruiting class would add several surprising gets if this guy were brought here. Unlike with Nutt, players signed at Ole Miss to play for Coach O, not to play for Ole Miss.

That's my rundown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tight enough for all of us. WOOO PIIIGGG SOOOOIIIEEEE Baby!!! Beat those Tigers Tonight!!!

You're getting me so hopped up.  Go Lane go.

bullwarrior

beansandtaters

Quote from: cshivley1 on November 28, 2007, 12:16:14 pm
I've got news for you... and not to be pesemistic...but I don't really expect any coach that we sign will come in and win next year. Sure they'll win some of the cupcake games, but you can't really expect more than 3-4 wins in conference play. We just aren't going to be returning any solid starters, with the exception of Luigs. I highly doubt that Felix will return either.

Other than that, we are losing 2 out of the 3 strongest links in the offensive line (Felton and Garner), the source of more than half of the total offensive production (McFadden), our clutch go-to guy (Hillis), and are only "stable?" WR's (Monk and Rojo).... That's just the offense.

However, I do agree with you on the double tight end formation. That formation is going to have to be utilitized, because our only proven returning recievers play TE. It is also a good mix of the run and short pass offense that Dick is most comfortable with.

Defensively, the Tampa 2 defense is, IMO, the best form of a zone defense out there, GIVEN you have the personel to run it.
This defense is basically a Cover-2 defense manipulated into a Cover-3. I would love to see us use this, but I just don't think we have the playmakers to run it successfully next year.  It also is very vulnerable to any type of run/play-action based offense, especially when LB's bite on fake (but no defense is perfect).

In order to successfully pull of the T2, a pass rush(which we struggle with) is imperative. All 4 members of the D-line need to be quick off the football. Sheppard and Robinson could be succesful, but it requires a 4-man pass rush. Our leader in sacks was Fairchild, and in this defense he wouldn't be doing much blitzing.

Also, the corners (I assume Norton and Love) must be able to make tackles. This setup only leaves the CB's liable for roughly 5-10 yards deep, which will help given that our speedsters (Grant and Richardson are gone). Reggies man-D is great every once in a while, but I saw Norton get burned too many times this season.

This is where it gets bad for us...

We are returning two of our LB's in Forte and Fairchild, Fairchild by the way being by far the most talented player on this side of the ball.  However, the most important part of the tampa-2 is having a fast, aggressive, and intelligent middle linebacker. The MLB is the anchor of this formation. The position entails being anywhere from the line of scrimmage all the way back to in between the safety zones. Losing Dacus hurts, even though he may not have been the fastest player, he was intelligent. I have no clue who would play this spot, and that is a HUGE problem.

Finally, the two guys at the back. Who are the safeties going to be?? Leandre and Harris? They are responsible for any balls thrown 10-yards past the line of scrimmage. A succesful Tampa-2 defense will always have safeties that know how to cover and how to cover well. Are you confident in those two stopping the long-ball threat?

Anyways, maybe some freshmen will come in and step up, whichever scheme we run offensively or defensively.

Just my thoughts,

:razorback:

I think you're underestimating some of the talent that is on campus simply because Nutt and his staff couldn't develop it properly.

The MLB will likely be Wendell Davis who is much more physically gifted than Dacus. I'm excited to see what he can do.

I understand your concerns with the personall fitting the scheme, especially concerning the secondary. BUT, what I saw of Leandre gives me hope. He seemed to be a ballhawk.  I also think one of Harris or Jerry Franklin can step up and contribute at safety. Given the decreased responsibility of the CBs, I think we will see a much improved Jerell Norton.

I also think next season will be tough and by win, I do not mean win the WEST or the SEC. However, I do think we would end up bowl eligible. We'll see. Go Hogs!

jdhogster

I could have sworn that I heard Norm Chow possibly was interested in the job as well.  Anyone else hear this too?  That would be awesome if we had Chow and/or Kiffin.  And then we could pull in a strong DC. 

beansandtaters

Quote from: brewkowski on November 28, 2007, 12:44:55 pm
Thank for a refreshing post about X's and O's...and the possibilities that lies ahead with a change that is about to come for all of us.  I just hope and pray we get someone in here that brings the topics of optimism instead of what we have been listening to for over a year now...

thanks for the compliment.

brewkowski

Quote from: beansandtaters on November 28, 2007, 12:48:01 pm
I think you're underestimating some of the talent that is on campus simply because Nutt and his staff couldn't develop it properly.

The MLB will likely be Wendell Davis who is much more physically gifted than Dacus. I'm excited to see what he can do.

I understand your concerns with the personall fitting the scheme, especially concerning the secondary. BUT, what I saw of Leandre gives me hope. He seemed to be a ballhawk.  I also think one of Harris or Jerry Franklin can step up and contribute at safety. Given the decreased responsibility of the CBs, I think we will see a much improved Jerell Norton.

I also think next season will be tough and by win, I do not mean win the WEST or the SEC. However, I do think we would end up bowl eligible. We'll see. Go Hogs!

You hit the nail on the head...

Without the politics the nutter butter had in place the new coach (hopefully Kiffin or Peterson) will actually play his best atheletes and put them in a position to succeed.  The athletes are there just waiting for some real leadership.
It is time for some real leadership.  

VenturaHog

beansandtaters

Quote from: VenturaHog on November 28, 2007, 12:54:09 pm
How does he feel about Gus?

I have a feeling he would call his own plays initially, if that is what you're getting at. I have no problem with that after seeing his offense against us in '05 and '06...

EastexHawg

Is he going to bring Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White, and Dwayne Jarrett with him?  If so, sign me up.

Now, on the other hand, envision the offense you just described with Casey Dick at QB in Leinart's place.  Need I go further? 

I don't recall seeing anyone who will actually be in uniform next year who resembles Lendale White, much less Reggie Bush. 

BTW...there is about as much chance of Felix Jones returning next year as there is that Bill Belichick will leave the Patriots to take over our vacant coaching position.  I like daydreaming, too, but I usually try to limit my dreams to scenarios that are at least remotely possible.

DeuceHawg

Chow was wanting to go to UCLA.  Can't understand why, but that is the case.

pipehog

i can't remember where, but i heard chow may be interested, there is a arkansas connection with him or his wife

tophawg19

although i like leach and think he would shock everyone with a more balanced style of play . kiffin loks to be a great fit . he has what gus' lacks . the ability to bring in good assistants . i would like to see him hire gus. kiffin will not be here long and gus would be ready.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

okiehawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2007, 12:45:16 pm
Some of you wanted him gone so bad that you actually wanted us to lose games.  So, now he is gone, and people are complaining abut how it happened.  Why?  If you wanted him gone, you got what you wanted. 

You make a good point.

The person that said that it didn't matter that Nutt left, because the people who are upset would just find something else to gripe about also made a good point.  Some people are never happy, it just seems to be that they are the ones that are most talkative right now.

Bacon The Saddle Again

We have the talennt to run cover two.  Norton, Madison, (Brandon Barnett?)etc...these guys are plenty athletic to play cover 2.  They haven't been coached. Our secondary instruction has been awful in recent years.  Our linebackers should be pretty athletic next year with Jermaine Love in the middle and Fairchild and Forte on the outside.  Safeties could be an issue, we may have to rely on an incoming freshman, we have a couple of tap, one decommitted.  If we keep Tracy Rocker (I don't see we wouldn't, and I don't see why he would make a lateral move if the dream team of Kiffin and Kiffin were coming) then our defensive line will be in good shape.

There is enough talent on the Hill next year for the right coaching staff to get us back to a bowl game.  People projecting 4 wins at best are being way too pessimistic.

VenturaHog

The main knock against him for me is that he has had great success with incredible talent, that is impressive but it is to be expected with that cast of players he had.

Houston h

Chow wanted the Arkansas job when Nutt got it.

Spiral_cut

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 28, 2007, 12:59:44 pm
although i like leach and think he would shock everyone with a more balanced style of play . kiffin loks to be a great fit . he has what gus' lacks . the ability to bring in good assistants . i would like to see him hire gus. kiffin will not be here long and gus would be ready.

Why wouldn't he be here long?  If we're winning big, the big money boys can pony up whatever is needed to keep him.  And if we're winning big, why would he leave?

dougieritch

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: VenturaHog on November 28, 2007, 01:02:26 pm
The main knock against him for me is that he has had great success with incredible talent, that is impressive but it is to be expected with that cast of players he had.

But if you watched Southern Cal, a lot of TD passes were guys that were just flat-out wide open.  You or I couldn't botch some a lot of those TD passes.  And we've always got the runningbacks and offensive line to do whatever when we want/need to run the ball.  I think this new set of WR could be a great start to getting the ball rolling of Kiffin is the guy.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on November 28, 2007, 12:44:06 pm
He runs an offensive style that scores many points.  I'll put it to you this way.  He was offensive coordinator for two Heisman Trophy winners....one a quarterback and one a runningback.  How is THAT for balance?

More specifically, he runs the West Coast offense.  He adapts well to the talent he has.  USC had the reputation for slinging it all over the place, but they were a lot more balanced than people gave them credit for.  LenDale White and Reggie Bush both got plenty of carries to keep them happy (which bodes well if Kiffin comes for keeping both Curtis and Devin Thomas).  He also coaches some 1,000 yard receivers in college which is not easy, but will help in keeping Jarious Wright and the others WR's that have committed.  Perhaps, it could at least get at an-home visit with Joe Adams before he signs a LOI with Southern Cal.

He's young (31) which is great because it could turn into a longterm hire, if it pans out just right, dynasty may not be too far-fetched a word.

Every year he was recruiting coordinator for USC, they had the #1 recruiting class in the nation.  His dad was a defensive coordinator here for a couple years so is a small tie to the state.

Thanks a ton for the info...Boy, he sounds like a heck of a prospect...If he'd be the HC/OC, who would be a comparable choice for DC? Pelini? Strong?

HotGrits

If we do come away with Lane Kiffin would he be his own shot caller or would he bring someone in?
I\'m just a clever visual metaphor that personafies the concept of abstract thought.

Bacon The Saddle Again

I could accept Chow if he was offered and took the job.  I would rather have Kiffin. He's a proven recruiter and young.

Bacon The Saddle Again

I believe he calls the plays in Oakland, but I'm not 100%

pipehog

chow was interviewed by broyles for the oc position in1996, but ford screwed that up

Hawgusta

I hope he brings his Dad to coach defense.   He did a helluva job when he was here before.

ceegar

I believe Chow will end up back on the west coast.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

HangTenHog

Poor Chow....talk about a deserving assistant that never really got a chance.

Its a shame too....he is a creative guy. Not saying I want him at Ark right now, but he has always deserved a shot somewhere.

jrblack05

Okay, I'm officially behind Kiffin.  From everything I've been reading, I don't think we could find a better man.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Lane is our best option. I just hope we can get him.

usnavyhogfan

is he a real possibility or just a darkhorse candidate?
The dream is free, the journey is not.

razorbass

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 28, 2007, 12:34:13 pm
Does anybody know any specifics on Kiffin- his coaching style? what type of offense he runs? etc.?
He was the OC when USC played us.

dougieritch

DevilHog

I keep hearing he will bring his dad on D.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bubbas Bruisers on November 28, 2007, 12:18:34 pm
I think Orgeron would get us on probation.

And in the game the player wouldn't be able to understand him.

Prosciutto

Quote from: jrblack05 on November 28, 2007, 01:18:36 pm
Okay, I'm officially behind Kiffin.  From everything I've been reading, I don't think we could find a better man.

I hope your last name is Tyson, or Lindsey.

TLFHAWG

Everything that is written about him makes me think he would take us to the next level.  I know there are more great coachs out there, but if we can get Coach Kiffin I hope we do.  GO HOGS.

x-ray hog

Will Kiffin use an off. cord. or will he call the plays himself.

CoachVisor

Here is how dumb Nutt is, we had 7 mil lined up to get rid of his ass. We played him and sexton like the cheap whores they are. Put that in your pipe and smoke it while you are hugging his no talent ass.

jrblack05

He was the offensive coordinator at USC when they were so dominant.  So i'd hope not

Houston h

Something about the guy, the preacher or car salesman in him, makes me think that he will do well enough there that he will be in this job for many years.  Ole Miss would be happy with his 10 year record at Arkansas and I belive many Arkansans would have been had it not been for the fiasco last winter.  I for one, have always thought the guy was over his head here but his charisma kept him in the job.  Nutt screwed the pooch here in Arkansas, we'll see how it handles things in Oxford.

GuardHog

Do we really want to hire a guy who is about to get fired?  He is 3-8.  He is not the answer.  I would want this job to if I were about to get fired.  You know the next coach at Arkansas is going to be here a minimum of 3 years so that gives him a paycheck for 3 more years at least, probably 5 to be more exact. 

i

Look at LOU HOLTZ' record with the NYJETS was when he was hired to replace JFB. I believe he had 2 wins in his only year there before being hired at ARKANSAS.