Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kiffin, Kiffin, Kiffin [is it that difficult to keep all posts about Kiffin in 1 thread?]

Started by neahog, November 27, 2007, 04:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems like its down to 2, which one do you want to coach the Hogs?

Kiffin
427 (83.2%)
Tuberville
86 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 462

Voting closed: December 03, 2007, 02:07:03 pm

kimjongsqUeAl

Can someone give a little background on Kiffin?  What are his stats as a coach?  Where did he coach?  What exciting things did he do there as a coach?  etc etc

Thanks
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Dr Swineglove

Outstanding Post!  I want Lane Kiffin!
Let's hope not only will the UofA hire him, but open up the wallet to hire the assistants Lane would want aw well.

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Hog-I

OK.  I think this guy sounds great, and his affiliation with the NFL and USC would probably bring in a lot of recruits on its own.  In fact, I'm inclined to support bringing him in.

Now, I'm just going to play devil's advocate here for the sake of a full discussion.

A lot of the things that make Kiffin sound great to us are the same things that made Mike Shula sound great to Alabama, and we all know how that turned out.  Is this a risk we should take right now?

IMAballHawg

Quote from: poohpig on November 28, 2007, 09:55:03 am
He's not going to leave the Raiders mid-season.  Are you willing to wait 5 more weeks for him??  That would kill this recruiting class.

Short term pain for long term gain.
I see the plusses outweighing the minuses.  However, I still have seen nothing to indicate we are after him or that we would have a snowballs chance in hell to get him.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/tkseib/texastoiletlarge.jpg<br /><br />Welcome to a new dawn in Razorback Athletics!

Mrsherm

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on November 28, 2007, 10:03:35 am
Can someone give a little background on Kiffin?  What are his stats as a coach?  Where did he coach?  What exciting things did he do there as a coach?  etc etc

Thanks

http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=532

this should give you some good insight

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

JIHawg

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hog-I on November 28, 2007, 10:07:05 am
OK.  I think this guy sounds great, and his affiliation with the NFL and USC would probably bring in a lot of recruits on its own.  In fact, I'm inclined to support bringing him in.

Now, I'm just going to play devil's advocate here for the sake of a full discussion.

A lot of the things that make Kiffin sound great to us are the same things that made Mike Shula sound great to Alabama, and we all know how that turned out.  Is this a risk we should take right now?

yes. because if he bring Orgeron on board (considered one of the best recruiters), we could build a solid, championship level team on both sides of the ball.

brewkowski

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on November 28, 2007, 10:03:35 am

Thanks

Go to google and read his his wikipedia...
It is time for some real leadership.  

Mrsherm

Mike Shula was never a HEAD COACH in the NFL....that alone should let you know he has the coaching ability.

SemperFi

I like Kiffin myself, however, what makes anyone think that he would leave the NFL for Arkansas? Is he dissatisfied with his current situation? I don't want to just daydream about who the next coach could be, but rather want to know the viable candidates.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

hogsanity

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 28, 2007, 10:04:09 am
With Frank Broyles, there are going to be ties to almost anyone. 

This a very slight tie.  What's wrong with hiring someone with Arkansas ties?  Do we exclude people because they have any tie whatsoever?

I don't have a problem with ties.  I just find it humorous, that on a board that continually calls for a house cleanng, and an end to the GOB system, that they would support this. 

I also have to wonder why a guy, who just took an NFL job, would want to leave that after less than a year. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoosier

Couldn't he accept the job and still finish out the season with the Raiders? Hire Orgeron as DC and have him start recruiting.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FlyFisher on November 28, 2007, 10:11:47 am
I like Kiffin myself, however, what makes anyone think that he would leave the NFL for Arkansas? Is he dissatisfied with his current situation? I don't want to just daydream about who the next coach could be, but rather want to know the viable candidates.

because Kiffin said he was interested....

docmic

Not to be argumentative, but Shula's only positive credential was his dad.

GutHOG

Come on August!!!!!

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Merle Hawggard

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

beansandtaters

Here's why I believe this to be true:

Does anyone remember the offense that he and Sarkisian ran at USC? The base formation was ACE with two TEs. This formation would work perfect with our personell considering we will have 3 capacble TEs returning in Cleveland, Davie, and DJ Williams.  You may recall all the of the playaction rollouts used by Booty to Fred Davis in the 2nd butt stomping they gave us. This would make Dick more effective by mixing it up on the defense.

Additionally, he likes to get the RB out into space by sending him in motion, spreading him out as a WR. Think Reggie Bush. This is why I think this hire would lead to Felix returning for his SR. season. If not, Smith, Barnett, and Curtis, will be fine in the system.

Finally, if the rumors are true about the package that comes with Kiffin, our D would be vastly improved. Say what you will about Monte being old...the guy is a flat out coach. He teaches DBs and invented the Tampa 2 defense. Say what you will about Coach O, but the guy can flat out recruit. I suspect our incoming recruiting class would add several surprising gets if this guy were brought here. Unlike with Nutt, players signed at Ole Miss to play for Coach O, not to play for Ole Miss.

That's my rundown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tight enough for all of us. WOOO PIIIGGG SOOOOIIIEEEE Baby!!! Beat those Tigers Tonight!!!

idochog

That would be a sweet thing to get both Kiffins plus Orgeron and then it would further be icing on the cake to steal some of the recruits from HDN that O recruited for Ole Miss
I love Jesus!

Razorsharp

Do we really want to hire a guy who is about to get fired?  He is 3-8.  He is not the answer.  I would want this job to if I were about to get fired.  You know the next coach at Arkansas is going to be here a minimum of 3 years so that gives him a paycheck for 3 more years at least, probably 5 to be more exact. 
Hire Gus!

Hogginitall

Quote from: Razorsharp on November 28, 2007, 12:13:29 pm
Do we really want to hire a guy who is about to get fired?  He is 3-8.  He is not the answer.  I would want this job to if I were about to get fired.  You know the next coach at Arkansas is going to be here a minimum of 3 years so that gives him a paycheck for 3 more years at least, probably 5 to be more exact. 

Again, they have one more win than last year and have 5 games remaining.  He didn't exactly come into a great situation in Oakland.

tolerati

How do you know he is about to be fired?
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

tulsadst

Where are you hearing that he's about to be fired?  It's his first year with the Raiders...

Harrisonhogfan

His record isn't the problem after all he does coach the Raiders. Hell 25% of colleges could beat the Raiders with the talent Al Davis has there.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: beansandtaters on November 28, 2007, 11:07:55 am

Does anyone remember the offense that he and Sarkisian ran at USC? The base formation was ACE with two TEs. This formation would work perfect with our personell considering we will have 3 capacble TEs returning in Cleveland, Davie, and DJ Williams.  You may recall all the of the playaction rollouts used by Booty to Fred Davis in the 2nd butt stomping they gave us. This would make Dick more effective by mixing it up on the defense.

Additionally, he likes to get the RB out into space by sending him in motion, spreading him out as a WR. Think Reggie Bush. This is why I think this hire would lead to Felix returning for his SR. season. If not, Smith, Barnett, and Curtis, will be fine in the system.

Finally, if the rumors are true about the package that comes with Kiffin, our D would be vastly improved. Say what you will about Monte being old...the guy is a flat out coach. He teaches DBs and invented the Tampa 2 defense. Say what you will about Coach O, but the guy can flat out recruit. I suspect our incoming recruiting class would add several surprising gets if this guy were brought here. Unlike with Nutt, players signed at Ole Miss to play for Coach O, not to play for Ole Miss.

That's my rundown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tight enough for all of us. WOOO PIIIGGG SOOOOIIIEEEE Baby!!! Beat those Tigers Tonight!!!

I've got news for you... and not to be pesemistic...but I don't really expect any coach that we sign will come in and win next year. Sure they'll win some of the cupcake games, but you can't really expect more than 3-4 wins in conference play. We just aren't going to be returning any solid starters, with the exception of Luigs. I highly doubt that Felix will return either.

Other than that, we are losing 2 out of the 3 strongest links in the offensive line (Felton and Garner), the source of more than half of the total offensive production (McFadden), our clutch go-to guy (Hillis), and are only "stable?" WR's (Monk and Rojo).... That's just the offense.

However, I do agree with you on the double tight end formation. That formation is going to have to be utilitized, because our only proven returning recievers play TE. It is also a good mix of the run and short pass offense that Dick is most comfortable with.

Defensively, the Tampa 2 defense is, IMO, the best form of a zone defense out there, GIVEN you have the personel to run it.
This defense is basically a Cover-2 defense manipulated into a Cover-3. I would love to see us use this, but I just don't think we have the playmakers to run it successfully next year.  It also is very vulnerable to any type of run/play-action based offense, especially when LB's bite on fake (but no defense is perfect).

In order to successfully pull of the T2, a pass rush(which we struggle with) is imperative. All 4 members of the D-line need to be quick off the football. Sheppard and Robinson could be succesful, but it requires a 4-man pass rush. Our leader in sacks was Fairchild, and in this defense he wouldn't be doing much blitzing.

Also, the corners (I assume Norton and Love) must be able to make tackles. This setup only leaves the CB's liable for roughly 5-10 yards deep, which will help given that our speedsters (Grant and Richardson are gone). Reggies man-D is great every once in a while, but I saw Norton get burned too many times this season.

This is where it gets bad for us...

We are returning two of our LB's in Forte and Fairchild, Fairchild by the way being by far the most talented player on this side of the ball.  However, the most important part of the tampa-2 is having a fast, aggressive, and intelligent middle linebacker. The MLB is the anchor of this formation. The position entails being anywhere from the line of scrimmage all the way back to in between the safety zones. Losing Dacus hurts, even though he may not have been the fastest player, he was intelligent. I have no clue who would play this spot, and that is a HUGE problem.

Finally, the two guys at the back. Who are the safeties going to be?? Leandre and Harris? They are responsible for any balls thrown 10-yards past the line of scrimmage. A succesful Tampa-2 defense will always have safeties that know how to cover and how to cover well. Are you confident in those two stopping the long-ball threat?

Anyways, maybe some freshmen will come in and step up, whichever scheme we run offensively or defensively.

Just my thoughts,

:razorback:

tolerati

Jimmy Johnson didn't exactly set the NFL on fire his first year as a head coach of the Dallas Cowboys either.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

rihog

The reasons that Kiffin hasn't been successful this season is summed up in 2 words:

Al Davis
or
meddling geezer

take your pick

The Davis mentality doesn't work in the NFL anymore. There is a reason why Chuckie left (wanted out), and he was their most successful coach in a decade.
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: idochog on November 28, 2007, 11:09:41 am
That would be a sweet thing to get both Kiffins plus Orgeron and then it would further be icing on the cake to steal some of the recruits from HDN that O recruited for Ole Miss

I think Orgeron would get us on probation.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

pigmania

Quote from: beansandtaters on November 28, 2007, 11:07:55 am

Monte's TB Bucs. are the #2 defense in the NFL.

jspang727

honestly think when all is said and done Lane Kiffin will be our man.  Rathman will come in as RB's coach and Charlie Coe as WR's coach.  Lane is a personable person who gets his it done in homes and at charity events.  Thats one thing they pointed out that they wanted.  I believe right now he is the only person that is truely a STEP UP

Bacon The Saddle Again

Did you see Oakland last year? They were horrible.  There were college teams that could have beaten Oakland last year.  Look at the numbers he's been able to get out of LaMont Jordan and Justin Fargas at tailback.  FREAKING LAMONT JORDAN AND JUSTIN FARGAS.  If he wasn't stuck with has-beens at quarterback, the Raiders would be competing in the AFC West.

LOU H

READ A GREAT ARTICLE LAST NIGHT BUT I CANNOT FIND IT THIS MORNING.  STATES THAT HE WAS UNDER SOME PRESSURE BEFORE LAST WEEKS GAME.  THE PLAYERS LOVE HIM AND RALLIED AROUND HIM FOR A WIN.  THE PLAYERS REALLY LOVE HIM.  SOUND FAMILIAR.  I THINK HE WOULD BE A GREAT HIRE

LordStanleysHog

the NFL and College are two different worlds... just ask Pete Carroll, Steve Ballcoach, Lou Holtsph, etc... this would be a huge splash for us, this is type of Coach we need right now...

beansandtaters

I posed this yesterday and the fool just ignored it, but I will pose it again to you. Would Jimmy Johnson not have been "the answer" if he were hired after winning only 1 game in his first season in Dallas?

GabeMartini

USC. Heisman Trophies (two). National titles. Best recruiting classes.

d1nonlyhogfan

He has brought Oakland a far cry from 2-14 in 2006, with the NFL's worst offense. The offense has moved up 9 spots to 23rd; see below for a comparison of PF/PA (points for/against) between 2006 and 2007:

------------
PF = 168
PA = 332

------------
PF = 200*
PA = 240

*Note that Kiffin's Raiders have already scored more points through 11 games than the 2006 team managed in a full 16-game season WITHOUT his 1st-round draft pick QB Russell.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Razorsharp

Jimmy Johnson also had already won some NC's before he went to the Cowboys so don't compare JJ and Kiffin.
Hire Gus!

silverhawg

even the ol ball coach spurrier couldn't win in the nfl..

beansandtaters

Quote from: Razorsharp on November 28, 2007, 12:29:59 pm
Jimmy Johnson also had already won some NC's before he went to the Cowboys so don't compare JJ and Kiffin.

Well then don't use a 3-8 record in his first season as an NFL HC to bash him. Hell even, a NC winning college HC only won one in his first year. By your logic that should mean that Kiffin by winning 3 games his first year is destined to win 3 times as many National Titles as Jimmy...

Dr Swineglove

Kiffin has done well with the Raiders - this time last year, they were as bad as the Dolphins are right now.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: tulsadst on November 28, 2007, 12:15:37 pm
Where are you hearing that he's about to be fired?  It's his first year with the Raiders...

ditto
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

hogmichael

Quote from: rihog on November 28, 2007, 12:16:24 pm
The reasons that Kiffin hasn't been successful this season is summed up in 2 words:

Al Davis
or
meddling geezer

take your pick

The Davis mentality doesn't work in the NFL anymore. There is a reason why Chuckie left (wanted out), and he was their most successful coach in a decade.

So, he already has experience with meddling geezers, that moves him to the top spot in our search!

BroyledNutts

Does anybody know any specifics on Kiffin- his coaching style? what type of offense he runs? etc.?

imtad16

He isn't about to get fired at all... I have heard several NFL analysts on ESPN radio talk about being impressed with the job he has done even though they are 3-8... The raiders weren't expected to do anything this year, the team is really bad, plus the organization is a mess and Al Davis is insane. They just won at Kansas City and they never do that... they hadn't been KC in 5 years.

Hogway

I see Lane as a guy that will adjust his coaching to the players he has at his disposal.  In the past we recruited players to play in our system both offensively and defensively.  I feel like we have athletes on our roster even right now.  I feel like Lane is a guy that will get these players in position to make plays.  As posted above our TE's will be involved far more than on drag routes when we bootleg.  At USC he got Reggie in space and ran a ton of posts with Jarrett and allowed him to use his body to sheild.  This year he runs the ball pretty much strait ahead with Oakland.  They have Ronald Curry and Jerry Porter as starting wideouts with Culpepper who couldn't read the defense in Tecmo Bowl.  Somehow he still gets around 175-200 yards passing a game against NFL defenses.  It's no secret about the Tampa 2 and Monte should this whole dream come true.  I can see Monte scrapping it if he doesn't feel we are capable of running it with our personnel.  I like coaches that can adjust to talent to give us the best chance to win.  With Lane and staff I feel like we would get that kind of coach.  Just my honest opinion.  Good thread!   

GabeMartini

This is so stupid.

I have two words for you on Kiffin:

Reggie. Bush.

Razorsharp

You mean Super Bowls?
Quote from: beansandtaters on November 28, 2007, 12:32:15 pm
Well then don't use a 3-8 record in his first season as an NFL HC to bash him. Hell even, a NC winning college HC only won one in his first year. By your logic that should mean that Kiffin by winning 3 games his first year is destined to win 3 times as many National Titles as Jimmy...
Hire Gus!

RazorbackNutt

Quote from: hogmichael on November 28, 2007, 12:33:06 pm
So, he already has experience with meddling geezers, that moves him to the top spot in our search!

haha thats what I was thinking!

OneLardAlmighty

I think he would be a great hire.  Certainly the most intriguing of the possibilities. 

I say get him if we can.  He's Gus with USC and NFL experience.