Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many former Darksiders think Nutt will improve Ole Miss

Started by FL_Hog_Fan, November 27, 2007, 11:26:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FL_Hog_Fan

I do.  He can take them from horrible to mediocre.  That's probably good enough for Ole Miss.  I also think they will beat us from time to time.  Just be prepared for it.
What were we arguing about anyway?

Oliver

If Nutt is at Ole Miss for 10 years, no doubt he will beat us at least once or twice.  It's the Law of Averages.

Simple Swineman

He will get them to the next level. But with Mississippi State on the rise he is going to have his work cut out. The Ole Miss fans will become restless if they remain below State much longer.

Nap

I actually agree with the ESPN analysts who said this was a great hire for Ole Miss.  In their eyes, Nutt is a proven winner (by overall winning percentage and bowl games) - and a coach who has owned them the last ten years. 

The biggest reason Nutt was under so much scrutiny the last couple of years was because of how he handled the Springdale recruits and Gus - and Ole Miss don't give a rat's teat about that.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

WhenPigsFly

I think he will improve Miss.  His coaching, while borderline dumb at times, has been overall average to good.  It's the other crap that turned me against Nutt.

NWASooner

Ole Miss can't get any worse.  Of course he'll improve them.

Reservoir Hogs

I think he will do fine there, I doubt he is there for 10 years though.  It was an ok hire for them, to me Nutts biggest failures are his x's and o's and recruting.  Everyone knows he is a Master Motivator, so if he can get someone to recruit for him and figure out game plans he will be fine.  We all know with his ego this probably wont happen, so yes he will do fine there.

bobbybouchet

They better schedule a lot of Sunbelt teams for the Non conference schedule.  He'll need those rent a wins.

arcowboy

This is good for all concerned, Nutt, his family, the Razorbacks, the fans , Ole Miss.   It will be good for Nutt if he hasn't already been ruined by JFB.  I really liked Nutt when he came here it was wide open ball, but Frank brained washed him.   I have never been so upset that a game I went to during Broyles days at LR and we lost the game because all evening he ran Marsh White up the middle just like Nutt did all the time. 

longtimeHogfan

Actually, I think the coaching IQ just improved at both schools.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

RazorbackNutt

He can take ole miss to the level arkansas is at now.  Ole Miss isn't far from where arkansas was in 1997

redbarn

I think Nutt has his work cut out for him to improve Ole Miss but if he can get the right people on his staff and do some recruiting he can bring the program up to a competitive level.  Ole Miss has not always been a down program and can be a contender once again.  It remains to be seen though as to whether Nutt is the person who can do this.  I for one plan on attending the next Ark/Ole Miss Football game next year and enjoy Arkansas beating up on Nutts Rebels.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

Dixie Chicken

I think he'll improve at first because they're expecting big things from him and he's got a chip on his shoulder. Then after a couple of good years he'll have built up enough credit with the fan base to start doing things "his way". Piece by piece he'll reassemble his old staff as he replaces good assitants with those he know will be blindly loyal to him, and the next thing you know everybody in the Ole Miss athletic department will be his personal friend/relative. After that he'll know he can slack off a bit in recruiting and then the conference record will start to creep down only to be bolstered by OOC patsies. Then everyone at Ole Miss will want him gone, but he'll have all the PTB on his side and the fans will spend the next 5-7 years trying to come up with cause to fire hime.

Risne, Lather, Repeat.

It really kind of bothers me that Nutt came out smelling like a rose in this deal. He got 3.6 million from us and 9.5 from Ole Miss and the natioal media thinks he has credibility left and they think he's a good coach...meanwhile Arkansas looks like (in the national media) we didn't know the value of what we had. Sheesh!

RazorbackNutt

Quote from: razrhog05 on November 27, 2007, 11:33:22 am
I think he will do fine there, I doubt he is there for 10 years though.  It was an ok hire for them, to me Nutts biggest failures are his x's and o's and recruting.  Everyone knows he is a Master Motivator, so if he can get someone to recruit for him and figure out game plans he will be fine.  We all know with his ego this probably wont happen, so yes he will do fine there.

We can be confident that Ole Miss will lead the west in rushing from now on. 

ark30inf

Quote from: RazorbackNutt on November 27, 2007, 11:36:07 am
He can take ole miss to the level arkansas is at now.  Ole Miss isn't far from where arkansas was in 1997

They have severe recruiting issues and obstacles that we do not have.  It will be much more difficult to get OM to that level than Arkansas.

saywhat?

Quote from: FL_Hog_Fan on November 27, 2007, 11:26:49 am
I do.  He can take them from horrible to mediocre.  That's probably good enough for Ole Miss.  I also think they will beat us from time to time.  Just be prepared for it.

Hell it can't get any worse.  I mean they layed a goose egg in the conference this year so if he wins one conference game next year it will be an improvement.

wooly

Quote from: NinoHog on November 27, 2007, 11:35:31 am
They will go 4-4 in Sec play.

They will be happy with 3-5. Add 4 non conference wins to that and you are bowling.

The Grove this year could have cared less how the game was going to end this year.  He is stepping into a Ford-like situation at Ole MIss.

RazorbackNutt

Quote from: Dixie Chicken on November 27, 2007, 11:37:42 am
I think he'll improve at first because they're expecting big things from him and he's got a chip on his shoulder. Then after a couple of good years he'll have built up enough credit with the fan base to start doing things "his way". Piece by piece he'll reassemble his old staff as he replaces good assitants with those he know will be blindly loyal to him, and the next thing you know everybody in the Ole Miss athletic department will be his personal friend/relative. After that he'll know he can slack off a bit in recruiting and then the conference record will start to creep down only to be bolstered by OOC patsies. Then everyone at Ole Miss will want him gone, but he'll have all the PTB on his side and the fans will spend the next 5-7 years trying to come up with cause to fire hime.

Risne, Lather, Repeat.

It really kind of bothers me that Nutt came out smelling like a rose in this deal. He got 3.6 million from us and 9.5 from Ole Miss and the natioal media thinks he has credibility left and they think he's a good coach...meanwhile Arkansas looks like (in the national media) we didn't know the value of what we had. Sheesh!

Too bad everyone isn't as smart as you are.  You should be an athletic director!

pigmania

jst01

He is a perfect coach to rebuild a program.  He can motivate the fans and players and boosters to show more support and give more money.  His problem is that once he had our program moving up, he couldnt coach any better to get to the next level. 

wooly

Quote from: Dixie Chicken on November 27, 2007, 11:37:42 am

Risne, Lather, Repeat.

Do you not believe he will take the whole MSM with him?

RazorbackNutt

DeltaBoy

If Houston will cut his ties to the MSM and get some better AC and if he will clear his brain of Franks 1960's offensive phliosphy then Ole Miss will be more dangerous then they where when Eli and Archie were playing there.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

XXL TideFan

You guys do not have a coach yet. McFadden and Jones leave early for the pros. Nutt and Ol' Sis beat the razorbacks next year. Before you go flaming me, remember that I predicted the LSU win and Nutt's retention...............I just didn't see him turning down the offer to stay.

jst01

Quote from: XXL TideFan on November 27, 2007, 11:44:58 am
You guys do not have a coach yet. McFadden and Jones leave early for the pros. Nutt and Ol' Sis beat the razorbacks next year. Before you go flaming me, remember that I predicted the LSU win and Nutt's retention...............I just didn't see him turning down the offer to stay.

well...since you called the LSU win, you gotta be right about everything else?????

Dixie Chicken

Quote from: wooly on November 27, 2007, 11:41:04 am
Do you not believe he will take the whole MSM with him?

I'm still confused on how all that will work out. I saw another thread on here saying he'll retain John Tompson as DC, which makes sense because they have history, so that means at the very least Reggie is out. The others I'm confused about because of the 2 year contract thing that happened this spring. If they are let go by the new coach they still get that money, but I don't know if that's the case if they take new coaching jobs.

I can really see Houston letting them have a year or  2 off to sit around and collect their paychecks while he milks some success out of younger more ambitious assistants, then when they get hired away after his early seasons, he'll "get the ole gang back together" one piece at a time. Then the Ole Miss football program will just be reruns of "Houston Nutt and the Junkyard Band".

By the way if there's anyone who can't already tell, this is all pure speculation on my part. I have no knowledge of who is staying here or going to Ole Miss with Nutt.

BartIV

A am no longer a Darksider, Houston Nutt is gone. I am just a fan now.

Nutt will do just fine at Ole Miss.

hogmichael

I do as well. I'm sure they will see improvement with Nutt at the helm, we certainly did in his first years here. They are in shambles right now, coming off of a winless in conference season, an improvement isn't hard to attain. I'm also sure that they will beat us from time to time but, I'm also fairly certain that we will be in a much better position than they are in the years to come. Thinking back to the jokes of a banner for the Ole Miss game this past year that read "Fire Orgeron, Hire Nutt!" it's pretty funny now, who would have thought that would actually come to pass.

baldhawgz

I feel the same way as your Bart. Nutt will be an improvement, but he will wear out his welcome at Ole Miss long before ten years.

bobbybouchet

Here is his schedule next year and my predictions...

Date Opponent Location Time (CT) Results Media
Sat, Aug 30 Memphis Oxford, Miss. TBA                      W
Sat, Sep 06 Wake Forest at Winston-Salem, N.C. TBA   L
Sat, Sep 13 Samford Oxford, Miss. TBA                       W
Sat, Sep 20 Vanderbilt * Oxford, Miss. TBA                  W
Sat, Sep 27 Florida * at Gainesville, Fla. TBA                L
Sat, Oct 04 South Carolina * Oxford, Miss. TBA            L
Sat, Oct 18 Alabama * at Tuscaloosa, Ala. TBA             L
Sat, Oct 25 Arkansas * at Fayetteville, Ark. TBA           L
Sat, Nov 01 Auburn * Oxford, Miss. TBA                      L
Sat, Nov 15 Louisiana-Monroe Oxford, Miss. TBA           W
Sat, Nov 22 LSU * at Baton Rouge, La. TBA                 L
Fri, Nov 28 Mississippi State * Oxford, Miss. TBA           L

4 Wins based on him beating Vandy, 5 wins if he beats WF, 6 if he beats MSU, 7 if he beats Hogs...I predict a 4-5 win season for him.  He could very well fire up the team to beat MSU to keep the fanbase on his side.

BartIV

Quote from: baldhawgz on November 27, 2007, 11:52:49 am
I feel the same way as your Bart. Nutt will be an improvement, but he will wear out his welcome at Ole Miss long before ten years.
Its hard for any coach to last 10 years, especially in the SEC.
Nutt at Ole Miss will be very interesting. They are in the same spot as we were in when Nutt came here. We will see how good or bad Houston Nutt really is.  I am thinking he will just be average at best.

pimpndistress

:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

pimpndistress

:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

josh_sec33

He'll probably get them up to winning the patsy non-conference schedule and then probably beating MSU with the occasional win against an east team or a win against a down west team.

he might even get them to a bowl consistantly.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Razorback Jedi

He'll make them into a respectable team. Probably be a 4-4 in the SEC type team (shocker). Watch out for his first few years, he's likely to make a huge splash with his 'rah rah' type mentality and some of that talent down there.

oldbooniehog

I think that in the next 10 years, Ole Miss will have three finishes in the Top 25, but zero finishes in the Top 10, and nothing about a 15th place finish.

Which is exactly what Nutt accomplished at Arkanasas.

At Ole Miss, that level of achievement will be a major improvement.

Which is why Nutt is perfect for Ole Miss.

obh

razornole

Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

myriad_rocker

My opinion (not that it matters since I do more reading than posting, which is a good thing, right?) is that Nutt will actually turn their program around by their current standards.  I don't see a 9 win season the first season but a 6 win season is very reasonable.  The next year will be even better for them.  Hopefully he won't screw things up for himself over there like he did here.

Hogs4Ever

When you're at the bottom, there's only one place you can go.  He will get them up to decent.  One or two pretty good years out of 4 or 5.

GrumpyHog

I could care less how he does. I'm just glad he's gone from here.

Fatty McGee

He's been Miss. State Champ for awhile, that's all they want so he should be able to deliver.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I do Ole Miss is awful, and Mediocre is HDN's true middle name.  he will help them until he reaches his plateau.  AVERAGE
Let's make some waves.

Stud_Fan

No doubt he will make them better.  They will kill State mark my words.  And the game with Ole Miss scares me more than I want to think about.  I think Nutt will win 4 or 5 SEC games next year, and who knows after that.
CF. Go Hogs!

rocksalt

Quote from: hogfanintx on November 27, 2007, 12:11:38 pm
I do Ole Miss is awful, and Mediocre is HDN's true middle name.  he will help them until he reaches his plateau.  AVERAGE

I agree, and he will start by showing them how to follow him onto the field.
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

grayhawg

He will improve them to an average team just like he did here.

TLFHAWG

He will take them to a little better than average.  Like he did us.  That is why he had to go.

31to6

Quote from: XXL TideFan on November 27, 2007, 11:44:58 am
You could be right. We could, in fact, be that bad next year even with a massive improvement in coaching.