Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you want to talk about the new Ole Miss coach, his press conference, photos from it or anything he said on ESPN do it HERE [no new threads on this topic]

Started by Wess Moore, November 27, 2007, 12:49:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Reaganite

gcraise1

What do you expect from a wanna be car salesman who thinks he is a SEC caliber coach because he gave charitable relations at a Holiday Inn. Thank god the con man has left the state.

brock4500

interviewing nutt on college football live and nutt is still blaming the situation last year on "playing time"

hoghearted

Did you expect him to confess that he ran his star quarterback off?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

pigfeet

PulledPork

but he was all class and left us with a full cupboard

NEXT!!

PP

GiantFoamFingerMak

I'm happy we paid him $3.6mm to run his fat mouth to the national press.
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

SteveInArk

Quote from: CurlyTail on November 28, 2007, 03:47:06 pm
This is too funny. You people bi+ch and moan for 5 years to get rid of Nutt(The coach who was FIRED), and when it finally happens, you STILL can't bring yourselves to do anything but sit around and talk about him all day, just like you have every single day for the last 5 years. I wanted him gone as much as the next guy, but there are other people and other things in the world to discuss in case you didn't know. Seriously, people, get a life and move on.

... but he provides so much comic relief , it is hard to let go of the rope.  If he had gone anywhere but a SEC team, it would be easier, but, he didn't... 

BTW, This quote from the Presser today was interesting:
"Do you care about these beautiful buildings?   The one thing I love about Ole Miss, are the facilities.  I see this indoor facility, the academic center, the beautiful stadium and when I look inside the beautiful stadium, I see those names and the championships and those banners.  It gives me chills when I walk in this room and I hear you clap and applaud."   But the coaches facilities still leave something lacking...
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

BigArkyintheRock

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

pissedhogfan

Go Hogs!

Razorback Jedi

Oinkle Sam

LMFAO!
this pic looks like they told him they had a great job for him, but it was a surprise. So, they blindfolded him, flew him there and they took the blindfold off. He sees where he's landed and looks at them as if to say
"You dirty mother frankers!"

ManicHogpressive

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on November 28, 2007, 10:04:58 pm
anyone have a link to the full presser at OM?

transcript snipped from someplace

Chancellor Dr. Robert Khayat

Good afternoon and welcome to the beautiful Gertrude Castellow Ford Center for the Performing Arts. This is a truly exciting day for the University of Mississippi. We are going to be presenting Haven, Diana, and Houston to you and I know you want to say welcome to our family.

There are three more members of the immediate family that are not with us today, but we will be meeting with them soon. Everybody at Ole Miss is excited and they should be. This university has a rich history in football. Our first season was in 1893, 114 years ago. We are charter members of the Southeastern Conference, and have been since 1935. Through the years at Ole Miss, the Faculty Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics has been a critical advisory group. Right now we are chaired by Ron Rychlak, who is a professor of law. We want to thank Ron Rychlak.

The only thing that moves faster than a jet airplane on this earth is the Internet. That is a busy place these days in athletics. Part of this process that evolved over the weekend was Pete Boone (Director of Athletics) being able to travel to Fayetteville, Ark., and the Nutt family being able to come here today. We are profoundly grateful to Dickie Scruggs for him providing his airplane to Pete and Scottye Boone and David McCormick for providing his plane to bring the Nutt family here today. We would like to say thank you to you two for expediting the process.

During the 12 years that I have had the privilege of serving as chancellor, we have had a series of goals. We are sitting in one today. This performing arts center was a goal. Another goal that continues is to support an integrity-based, highly-successful athletics program. Football is our most visible sport. To maintain our status as a great American Public University, we must be successful in football. This university community is confident that coach Nutt will lead an integrity-based, competitive and successful football program at Ole Miss.

The leader of our department of athletics is Pete Boone. He thoughtfully and aggressively pursued conversations with Houston and Diana Nutt, and today's presentation is an affirmation of Pete's leadership. Please welcome our director of athletics, Pete Boone.

Athletics Director Pete Boone

When the opportunity came to search for a head coach, the chancellor and I sat down and he said, "Pete, were do you go?" I said "Fairly simple. I would like to find a proven SEC head coach. It's as simple as that. Preferably, one that has won several SEC Western Division Championships, been able to participate in some conference championship games. I would probably add that he has had nine or 10 All-American players on his teams. It wouldn't be bad if we could have a coach that had been to eight or nine bowl games in 10 years. Chancellor Khayat said "I don't think that is too much to ask. I don't think it is."

My speech is very short. Ladies and gentlemen, Houston Nutt.

Head Coach Houston Nutt

Thank you so much. It's a privilege to be here today. I want to thank the Chancellor (Dr. Robert Khayat) and Pete Boone (Athletics Director). I want to thank my family. As the Chancellor mentioned, I have twins who are freshmen, and I have a son who's anxious to see this place as well. I want to thank you all so much.

My dad talked about the tradition of this place a long time ago, Bruiser Kinard, Jake Gibbs and Archie Manning. I had the privilege to coach against Deuce McAllister, who ran back (kickoff) for a touchdown against us. I also had the privilege to coach against a guy like Eli Manning. One thing I love about Ole Miss is the tradition. It's about tradition. That's the reason I am here. I feel like this place can be successful. I feel like this place can win. I can't wait to tell our players this afternoon. That's how you spell fun. The way you spell fun is "WIN." That's what it is all about.

Our coaches who come to Ole Miss, they are going to be difference makers. They are going to be difference makers in the life of an 18, 19 and 20-year olds. We want to win an SEC outright Championship. We want to do those things. But in you're in the toughest conference in America. So it's going to take an unbelievable commitment by everyone. That's includes faculty, our student-athletes, coaches. I believe we can do anything we want to do. I believe we have some coaches that can take you where I don't think you can go by yourself. It takes one heartbeat. It takes one team.

Every single day, we are going to ask three questions. One, can we trust you? Can we trust you to be an Ole Miss Rebel? Can we trust you to go to class and be on time? Can we trust you to turn in your homework? Can we trust you when somebody says drink this, and you know it's a lie, that you say no? You have an awesome responsibility. You're a collegiate athlete. Two, are you committed. Anybody can say hey 'Coach Nutt I'll come play for you.' Anybody can say 'if you give me this many touches at tailback, I'll come play for you.' I am not talking about that type of commitment. I am talking about 100 percent, giving it your all every day. I am talking about winning the way you walk and the way you talk every day. Are you committed? The third thing, and the most important question is, are you committed? Do you really care? Do you really care about your teammates?

Do you care about these beautiful buildings? The one thing I love about Ole Miss, are the facilities. I see this indoor facility, the academic center, the beautiful stadium and when I look inside the beautiful stadium, I see those names and the championships and those banners. It gives me chills when I walk in this room and I hear you clap and applaud. It means you're hungry and you're hungry for success.

I am so thankful to be here today. I am going to go back to the three questions. Can I trust you? Do you really care? Are you committed? If I can say to that student-athlete, yes we trust him, yes he's committed and yes he cares, we are going to have a great relationship. It's going to go from daylight to dark, but we are going to make it fun. This is a fun game. It's the greatest game in the world. You are going to get knocked down, but that's okay as long as you get back up. I am excited to be here, and I am excited to be your coach. I can't wait to meet the players this afternoon.

Q&A

Q: Are you going to consider putting the names back on the jerseys?

A: I've always had the name on the back of the jersey, as long as they know, the name on the front of that jersey is so important. There is nothing wrong with putting the name on the back of the jersey, because mamma, grandmamma, uncle and aunt need to know where their boy is.

Q: Can you shed any light on your staff?

A: The toughest thing for a head coach as soon as he gets a job is the staff. Right now I am in that process. I do have a few that are coming with me. I can't say right now at this time, exactly who are going to be the nine that are going to come with me. I am still in the interview process. I'll start that process when I get back to campus on Sunday and hit the road recruiting.

Q: You have a long history with Arkansas. They're your rival now. Are you ready to stick it to them?

A: I love Arkansas, I am from Arkansas. But today, I am an Ole Miss Rebel, and I am excited to be here.

Q: How would you rank your priorities of what you want to accomplish over the next two weeks?

A: First, I want to speak to the players. I can't wait to look in their eyes. The next thing is getting a staff together, and then recruiting. It's always a world-wind the first 10 to 12 days. It's very difficult, but my first priority is to get to know the players as quick as I can.

Q: How does your recruiting plan change for a state with two SEC schools and a strong C-USA school?

A: I've had the privilege to be in the SEC for 10 years. I know what's going on in the game of recruiting. Being in Arkansas for 10 years, I always like to start at home. You always start at home and work your way out. You can't be afraid to leave the state. You can't be afraid to go sell to a young man and say "hey this is the greatest place in the world to get and education and play in the greatest conference in America." The recruiting part won't change too much for me. The biggest difference is there are a few more junior colleges in Mississippi.

Q: On keeping Coach Oregeron's recruits in the program or getting them to come here still.

A: I don't know that yet. I'll have to evaluate the film and look at everything. We'll get started on that Sunday. I know it's a tough time, and there will be some anxious moments, but will start on that quickly.

Q: You said in your press conference on Sunday that you would be a Razorback for life. Does that change now?

A: In your heart when you've grown up calling the Hogs, that's one thing. Today, I am an Ole Miss Rebel.

Q: Your offense has been built around guys like Darren McPhadden and Felix Jones. Ole Miss will have guys like Jevan Snead. How flexible is your offense?

A: Very flexible. If you look at Clint Stoerner, he still holds the passing records at Arkansas. We had Anthony Lucas and Michael Williams among some very good wide receivers. Clint Stoerner got to the NFL. Then we went into the Matt Jones Era, who is not a true drop-back passer. But we still threw the ball. It's about who you have on campus. It's about having fun and winning. It's about trying to win the SEC Championship with the players that you have on campus. You do what they do best.

Q: What do you know about the players that are here now and how will you go about evaluating them?

A: The only thing I know about them is from the preparation time we had when we had to come to Oxford to play them. I have a lot of respect for them. I can't wait to visit with them and get to know them.

Q: In the age of instant success, what kind of timetable do you put on this program and when fans can start seeing results?

A: Everyday, starting today, I want to win. I was a very fortunate victim of circumstance, because my father was a coach for 33 years at the Arkansas School for the Deaf. My mother was an English teacher. There is only one deaf school in each state. My playground was with those deaf kids. They had to leave home at the age of four. There were Native Americans, African Americans, White and Mexican, but if you could sign, and if you could communicate, you were in their family. Those were my lessons growing up. It taught me a valuable lesson. It didn't matter the color of your skin, if you could communicate with them. It's about relationships. All I want to do is win. My first priority is to get to know my players. One thing I can assure you, is our players are going to play so hard. They are going to have so much fun. They are going to have enthusiasm and passion. To me that's going to breed winning. It's just one day at a time. I don't put a timetable on anything, except doing it the right way, the Ole Miss Rebel way. Somebody is watching you every day. This may a fifth grader across the street, but they are watching you, the way you walk and talk. I expect them to win every day starting today.

Q: What do you think has been a missing ingredient in Ole Miss not getting to the (SEC) Championship game and what do you think you can do to try and correct that?

A: I don't know that, because I spent one week out of the year in preparation for Ole Miss. My whole focus was the task at hand. The only thing I know is the job I had to do. Now, I have a new job, new players and new names. I am focused on that. I am not looking to the past. We are looking towards the future, and I am excited about that.

Q: Being one state over, can you talk about recruiting connections in Mississippi and challenge of making new connections.

A: We recruited Mississippi a little, not much. We recruited Arkansas, Texas, Georgia, Florida and Louisiana. We'll concentrate on that very hard. But now that we are in the state of Mississippi, we'll start here. You always start at home.

Q: Can you look forward to Oct. 25 next year and going to Arkansas?

A: I am looking forward to it. It's going to be good.

Q: Take us through the timeline of when you decided you were coming to Ole Miss?

A: It happened very fast. We were just coming off a great victory Friday night, a great win against LSU (No. 1 team in the country). I had discussions with the Chancellor (John White) Sunday and Monday. But most everything was done through Jimmy Sexton and Rick Landrow, my agent. This happened very fast. They're relationship with Pete Boone happened fast. It doesn't have to take long. We thought it was the right thing. Our family, Diana and I, had a lot of discussion about it. We'd been there 10 years. As you know in the SEC there have been 25 changes since I got there in 1998. It's not easy being at one place 10 years. We had 10 great years there, but now I am looking forward to this year.

Q: On team's late season success and close wins. What do you attribute that too?

A: The No. 1 thing is we are in great condition. We can play a long time at a very high level. Our guys were in great condition. We have a great offseason program and a good fourth quarter program. It starts right after signing day. I also think there is a belief. We practice in the Red Zone. I don't know if they showed this on TV, but as soon as the overtime period began, I called all guys up to the 50-yard line. That's what we'll do. The first thing I'll them, is "this is why you play the game. We are going to win this time. We are going to win in this overtime." There is a confidence factor, because you've already been there. You've already practiced it. When you get to overtime, everybody starts cheering. Everybody goes to another level. There is more energy, because you've been there. There's a confidence factor with your teammates, a 'band of brothers' that we are going to get it done. That's the attitude we've always had. We've always finished strong in November, because like Coach Broyles used to tell me, 'They remember in November."

Q: Talk about the difficult decision to leave Arkansas and go to a school in the same division within the same conference.

A: It was time. We knew it in our heart. There needed to be change. We are grateful for 10 years. I can't tell you how refreshed that we are. There's a lot of energy going on right now. When we walked in here on this stage, we went to another level. We knew in our heart, that we made the right decision. I love SEC ball, because it's the best athletes in the world. It's the best competition in the world. It's about that competitive spirit. There was a time where we thought of laying out of football for a year. I couldn't do that. That probably lasted three minutes. I am glad to be here.

Q: Did you consider other jobs and are you concerned with how this move will be viewed by your Razorback family in Arkansas?

A: No I am not concerned about what other people may think in Arkansas. We feel like this is the best for us right now. We feel like this is the best for Arkansas that we move. I didn't consider any other jobs. There were a few jobs out there, but everything went through Jimmy. Everything happened so fast, and I was excited about Ole Miss when I got the call.

Q: It's a tradition to do the 'pig sooey' cheer at Arkansas. Have you started learning 'Hotty Toddy' yet?

A: Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty! I have to work on it a little, but I've been reading.

Q: Most of your staff will be coming over after the bowl game, what do you do now in terms of recruiting?

A: This is the most difficult time when you have coaches coaching in the bowl preparation. What I have to do is try to organize a staff best I can. I am going to try and analyze a lot of the guys who have committed to Ole Miss and the ones that are still on the radar. There is a lot of organization that we have to do in the next 72 hours to get that going. That's the next process. The main thing that is important to me right now is the players who are on campus. They are your real salesman. They are your ambassadors. They are your heart and soul. All freshmen think they can come in and play, and they'll be a few that can, but most of them it's hard to take that jump from Friday night football to the next step. You have to start at home with these guys.

Q: Did Coach Broyles have any impact on your decision to come to Ole Miss

A: Coach Broyles has been a true friend, and one of my best friends. He's always been a great advisor and a counselor. We've had a close relationship. We had long talks about Ole Miss when this came up. He thought it was good. Coaching is a strange thing, especially when you from one school to another, inter-conference. As long you feel good in your heart, coaching is coaching. You get so wrapped in trying to make a difference in that 18, 19 or 20-year old's life. You look at the facilities and the academic part of it, and with the tradition, you can win at Ole Miss. That's what I got real excited about.

Q: You talked about when you got on stage and how you felt. When was the last time you felt that way and what were your emotions?

A: Ten years ago, December 10, 1997. Right now, today is the best day of my life.
Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard.
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.

Julius Caesar - Act 2, Scene 2