Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong rumors emerging...

Started by whatsshakinbacon, November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

respirback

Am I the only person on this board that didn't play high school football for Malzahn?

The_Iceman

ark30inf

Quote from: donewithdale on November 26, 2007, 11:26:56 pm
Great for Gus.  Hope it isn't a dead end program.

Is it S Miss?  That program has some good tradition and good talent around it in La & south Miss.

Wow, Southern Miss is a peach of a mid-major.  That would be a dangerous combo.

I just see Nutt going to a Mississippi recruits door and finding Malzahn stepping out of it.

prairiehogcompanion

I love Gus, but it's too soon to think of hiring him as head coach at Arkansas. Maybe in a few years.

DCHogFan

Bacon - Some very successful programs have Co- coordinators. Oklahoma is one that comes to mind. Probably Gus didn't think of it as a demotion (which it wasn't and nobody can argue that! PERIOD!) as much as he didn't want to be around the sinking ship. Some of his friends - and there aren't many - have said he is very shrewd and calculating and didn't want to be around when things got worse at Arkansas. Furthermore, I disagree about tonight's speeches aggravating the base and wins being the only answer for bringing Hog fans back together. In my opinion a coach that competes in a hard-fought, well-coached manner can survive a record like Nutt's. Tonight didn't divide the base, if anything it is a step in a more positive direction. Would you and fellow posters accept a 9-3 record next year if we played with more enthusiasm, a better offensive plan, and competed in every single game? Well, that's what Nutt did after after a period of severe apathy during the Ford year. Let's hope his successor outperforms that achievement and distinguishes himself from Nutt the very way Nutt did from Ford!

Dbl D

Quote from: Hogapalooza on November 26, 2007, 11:28:47 pm
If you want Gus,  I do,  Post it in the thread I have... 

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=179265.msg2783381#msg2783381

I'v known Gus since he was at Shiloh.  Has always been respected by kids, parents, staff, faculty and administrations. He has a brilliant football mind that isn't only about the forward pass.  He is a great judge in talent of players and coaches.  If we miss him this time we won't get another chance.  Make it happen now!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DCHogFan on November 27, 2007, 12:07:36 am
Bacon - Some very successful programs have Co- coordinators. Oklahoma is one that comes to mind. Probably Gus didn't think of it as a demotion (which it wasn't and nobody can argue that! PERIOD!) as much as he didn't want to be around the sinking ship. Some of his friends - and there aren't many - have said he is very shrewd and calculating and didn't want to be around when things got worse at Arkansas. Furthermore, I disagree about tonight's speeches aggravating the base and wins being the only answer for bringing Hog fans back together. In my opinion a coach that competes in a hard-fought, well-coached manner can survive a record like Nutt's. Tonight didn't divide the base, if anything it is a step in a more positive direction. Would you and fellow posters accept a 9-3 record next year if we played with more enthusiasm, a better offensive plan, and competed in every single game? Well, that's what Nutt did after after a period of severe apathy during the Ford year. Let's hope his successor outperforms that achievement and distinguishes himself from Nutt the very way Nutt did from Ford!

I never knew Gus doesn't have many friends.  Thanks for that tidbit.

Pretty smooth the way you gloss over the truth of the past 10 years.  It's the SEC record that was woefully lacking.

Doesn't matter now, it's over.

I don't have great expectations for the next couple of years so it'll be hard to disappoint me.

Still, the future is brighter now than if the change hadn't occurred.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HogPsych

TheGunther

I can not believe some of you say Gus is not ready.  They let nutt come here after a losing season at BS and he had never coached in the SEC before.  Atleast Gus is coming off two winning seasons calling the offensive shots.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

docryde3

Quote from: CoachHogT on November 26, 2007, 11:52:21 pm
Lets see... 1st year as OC at the college level...OC coach of the year..... second year as OC at the college level... No. 1 offense in the country..... I see a pattern... do you?
yeah, he is qualified, some coaches have the ability to win from the get-go without a lot of experience, as i remember when he called the shots we won
Woo Pig Sooie

PearlHarbor

College football is recruiting and x's and o's. Motivational speeches on occasion. Gus can recruit, and do the x's and o's. Can he motivate? I think so. So what's the problem?

whatsshakinbacon

In my years as a Razorback fan what I've bolded above is the most naive statement I've ever seen.  You can honestly say Gus didn't think of David Lee coming in as coordinator as a demotion?  Are you kidding me?  He found out from Chris Mortenson for crying out loud.  He went to coach Nutt to confirm it and only then found out the truth.

Please grasp the facts of what happened before you post like you know what's going on.

And as far as friends goes I am not a friend of Gus.  I don't know him whatsoever.  But if you don't think the man's got friends you've not been paying much attention.

Bacon out...

jdlew

Quote from: SwineOnUCrazyDiamond on November 26, 2007, 11:26:17 pm
Agreed. And, if God wants him at Arkansas, that's where God will put him.

I don't think God cares who coaches the Hogs

razorsox

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 26, 2007, 11:54:48 pm
What a Bozo.  I guess God wants millions to die in Darfur, too.

How did you know?
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: jdlew on November 27, 2007, 12:27:25 am

I don't think God cares who coaches the Hogs

The last ten years would seem to support your hypothesis...

But there's always a higher power at work. 

Bacon out...

Razorback7

GEEZZZZ... Gus this Gus that. Butch is the Almighty. Do you think the Razorback Nation could pull together for once and just use some common sense? Gus isn't going to be the man. PERIOD. I am glad you all love him and think he did a great job but remember he was in charge of the receivers last year. When I looked back to last year the receivers at the end of the season didn't do to well. Gus was responsible for them.

Butch already accepted an extension to stay at UNC. STOP THINKING BUTCH!

hview

What a mistake to let this guy get away. Please I hope someone has the common sense to sway him toward Arkansas.

gusaholic

Bacon,

Gus is definitely being looked at by a number of schools, but from what I hear Arkansas is one of them.

hogtheball

Some of his friends - and there aren't many - have said he is very shrewd and calculating and didn't want to be around when things got worse at Arkansas.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you don't know a single friend of Gus - and you're just making this up on your own. 

I am one of his friends - and, by the way, he has a lot - and I can tell you that shrewd is not a word I would use to describe him, although he is very calculating when it comes to analyzing weaknesses of defenses and exploiting the hell out of them on a football field. 

I really don't care whether or not you think Gus got demoted or that he was just smart enough to distance his own career from Nutt's egomaniacal coaching style (evident from the fact that he's never had a single assistant coach go on to a successful coaching career),  but please, don't falsely represent statements of "Gus's friends," of which you obviously know none.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

ManicHogpressive

November 27, 2007, 12:35:02 am #70 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:37:00 am by ManicHogpressive
Quote from: Dbl D on November 27, 2007, 12:24:07 am
See #10

http://coachingcarousel.blogspot.com/

Agggies...Mike Sherman? Are you kidding?...As you know i will admit when I am wrong, so I may eat some crow here, but the coach won't be Mike Sherman....
Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard.
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.

Julius Caesar - Act 2, Scene 2

I12PLAY

wow a 9-3 record on that schedule we have next yr would be asking a lot!  I think Malzahn will not be our coach next yr.  But think he would be a good 1.  Heres a name for you to think about.

My first name would be Jim Leavitt s fla

but i will take mike Leach at tt, Lane Kiffin at Oakland for sure, or Chris Peterson as espn just stated we are looking at!!!  All day long!  Guys those are 3 good coaches.  Why is noone considering Leavitt??  He competes with Fla, fla st and miami among others.  I would love to get some of those fla athletes instead of springdale players for recruits on board.  Go Hogs any of the 3 mentioned by espn i would not be disappointed with!!  we have a tough schedule for the next few yrs we cant afford to not bring in a stud coach. a dc will not get it forget the dc from oklahoma and forget the guy from lsu. we need a head coach.  The only guy i'd even consider as a coordinator for the head hog position would be Gus.  But we actually need a guy like Lane that is a proven recruiter.  That is the 1st time I've heard that name was on espn 10 minutes ago.  Go Hogs I hope we get Lane!

Razorback7

secfan30

This is not too much of a shock. I really hope one day my son does not look back on Gus and wonder what if like I do Jimmy Johnson.

destinflhog

I'd be careful with a guy like Jim Leavitt.  Florida is the 3rd largest state population wise and is loaded with football talent.  Unlike almost every other state, South Florida doesn't have anyone South, East or West of them competing for their recruits.  It's 500 miles frorm Georgia straigth down to Miami.  The kids there that aren't academically eligible for SEC schools play for South Florida and the like.  

I don't think he would be a good fit at Arkansas.

I12PLAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not too much of a shock. I really hope one day my son does not look back on Gus and wonder what if like I do Jimmy Johnson.  

what?

jamie72921

Jimmy Johnson, the first coach to ever win both a college national championship and the super bowl.

He wanted to be our coach before going to Miami.

The same idiots who may choose a nerd hire over Malzahn are the same idiots that chose Hatfield over Johnson and Nutt over Tubberville.
Bless your heart

secfan30

Quote from: I12PLAY on November 27, 2007, 12:43:04 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what?

We passed over Jimmy Johnson when I was younger and look what he went on to become.

jkelly107

I12PLAY

man all im saying is he has a good pedigree hes motivational in a good way sorta like nutt.  hes a likable guy he somehow gets the recruits that slip by miami and fla and fla st.  surely some of those kids graduate.  he could recruit fla all day long with the 600k budget we have for recruiting that nutt seemed to have forgoten about Fla that is. damn right its a fertile recruiting ground look at texas- a lot of texas players come from florida. i think we could benefit from him is all.  but having said that i am really warming up to the fact we are looking at Lane from the raiders.  Man he's a recruiter.  Thats what we need! I am willing to overlook the raiders record because the raiders have been down and coaching in the nfl is much different than coaching in college but lane is a proven recruiter a proven oc at usc.  man thats our guy!!

WoooPigSooie

It makes lots of sense to let Gus go somewhere else to prove his worth.  Wouldnt we want him to be successful somewhere else first?   ::)

"The Heisman is supposed to define college football's most outstanding football player.

I saw him here Saturday night. Darren McFadden."

win-streak

If Gus needs some seasoning, why don't we hire him then.  We all know that we'll need a couple of  years anyways to get back into contention.  Our tallent is low now!

Mister_BS

Quote from: Razor8 on November 26, 2007, 11:41:28 pm
I'm not saying it wont happen but from what i understand no coach who has won a national championship has ever gone to another college and won another one, EVER.
Jim Tressell won the national championship with Ohio State. He also won four Division II national titles with Youngstown State.

I'm sure you meant just D-I schools, but if you're going to argue, be specific about your parameters.

porkerfan

I12PLAY

i agree on gus hes a winner.  id love to have him but some of these guys we are looking at Leach, Peterson, and Lane are pretty damn good coaches I won't be disappointed.  The powers that be can't take off the foggy glasses to see that Malzahn will be a good coach if hired.  Your son and mine will be fine with one of those 3 guys.  Again I'm fired up about Lane!

Mister_BS

It would be awfully hard to hire Gus because of the drama just a year ago, and his treatment by Nutt and assistants. Timing may preclude his hiring, as much as experience.

Just because he began in high school shouldn't matter. After all, don't forget that Eddie Sutton was a high school coach in Tulsa. He became a pretty fair college coach, and a future Hall of Famer.

jfb4ever

It's 2014 and Gus has just embarassed the best in the SEC, for their 3rd National Championship! Arkansas finishes 2 and 10!

sowmonella

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 12:47:51 am
Jimmy Johnson, the first coach to ever win both a college national championship and the super bowl.

He wanted to be our coach before going to Miami.

The same idiots who may choose a nerd hire over Malzahn are the same idiots that chose Hatfield over Johnson and Nutt over Tubberville.

Jimmy Johnson was head coach at OK State for 5 years before going to U Miami. He was an assistant coach for JFB and left the UA when Holz came to the hill.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

secfan30

Quote from: I12PLAY on November 27, 2007, 12:53:46 am
i agree on gus hes a winner.  id love to have him but some of these guys we are looking at Leach, Peterson, and Lane are pretty damn good coaches I won't be disappointed.  The powers that be can't take off the foggy glasses to see that Malzahn will be a good coach if hired.  Your son and mine will be fine with one of those 3 guys.  Again I'm fired up about Lane!

I would not be upset with any of these guys either.

MCPeePants

Quote from: Razorback7 on November 27, 2007, 12:31:28 am
I am glad you all love [Gus] him and think he did a great job but remember he was in charge of the receivers last year.

Arrggghhhhh......this bugs me.

Receivers? What receivers? He was basically forced into battle with a grand total of 2 SEC caliber talents at the position, Monk and Williams (whose fleeting presence was only due to Malzahn) thanks to Nutt's failure to recruit any. Monk had a great year under Gus and Williams had a good year until he got hurt and made the all SEC freshman team anyway. After Williams went lame, Gus was basically stuck having to go into SEC battle with a WR core consisting of Monk and a bunch of random non-recievers forced into the position, including 2 QBs (Robert Johnson and Cedric Washington), 1 TE (Cleveland), 1 division III type talent (Fish) and a walk on or two (Rees, Miller), thanks to the head coach's failure to recruit the position.

What do you expect Malzahn to do without any talent to work with? He can't really help it if Crawford can't stay healthy and he can't magically help Baker or Logan or whoever grow new hands or new brains. If they simply can't catch or they're simply incapable of grasping the necessary concepts to play the position mentally, then there's not much Malzahn or anyone else can do about it.   

When I looked back to last year the receivers at the end of the season didn't do to well. Gus was responsible for them.

Wrong. Nutt was responsible because he left the team bereft of any receivers behind Monk. If the "receivers" playing at the end of the year didn't do too well, it's only because they were, by and large, non-SEC talents converted into "receivers" from other positions as a last resort and/or walk-on types who were forced into having to play meaningful time against the likes of Florida thanks to Nutt's failure to provide the offense with real receivers.

AnthroHog

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 12:47:51 am

I think Malzahn would be a very good hire and hope that we don't look back in five years wondering what could have been.

Anyone ever hear the rumor that Spurrier (when he was at Duke) inquired about the job and Ferritor turned him down?  Is that true?

moses_007

Quote from: Madhog2020 on November 26, 2007, 11:30:03 pm
He's going to be OC for Ole Miss under HDN :-)

No way will that ever happen.

bcdeputy

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm
That Gus may be heading for greener pastures.  Expect to hear an announcement soon that a mid-major has hired him...as...head coach.

I'm telling you guys, someday we will be sorry.

Bacon out...

I didn't realize this was the Tulsa message board...

woghild

Statements like "let him go get experience for a couple of years elsewhere and then
hire him" are assinine.  If he goes somewhere else and builds a powerhouse, why on
God's green earth would he leave that to come here?

And those who say it do so because they are vindictive supporters of the Dork...it is
their petty way of getting even.  Period.

If the truth was known, I would wager that of those who make that ridiculous statement,
9 out of 10 are/were huggers.

And so the madness continues.  Good grief.

HoggySTruman

Quote from: secfan30 on November 27, 2007, 12:58:35 am
I would not be upset with any of these guys either.
To me, Peterson is the best of these three....

hogtheball

I am glad you all love him and think he did a great job but remember he was in charge of the receivers last year. When I looked back to last year the receivers at the end of the season didn't do to well. Gus was responsible for them.

Hmmmm....wonder what happened to the receivers.  Why don't you take a look at what he did THIS YEAR with a group of freshman receivers (one from Arkansas).
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hoggcrazy

It will not happen--BUT if it does, get ready for

A plane stating Get off the bus GUS, you are not wanted!!!

Wait and see................

SPAL

not to bust on any bubbles for those wanting Gus...but in the convo i had last night with a part of his family....u can forget it.....

at least for now.

Redbug

Quote from: hogtheball on November 27, 2007, 09:20:45 am
Hmmmm....wonder what happened to the receivers.  Why don't you take a look at what he did THIS YEAR with a group of freshman receivers (one from Arkansas).
EXACTLY!!!!...you are dead on....
A very good SR college QB,
practically "brand new" OL with a few true frosh,
all WR's that have NEVER even been a part of a D-I program before,
the only experienced RB out for the year before the season starts
,... A BRAND NEW OFFENSIVE SYSTEM BEING INSTALLED BY A NEW STAFF IN ITS FIRST YEAR....

RESULTS = #1 OFFENSE in the NCAA....

markmchog

Quote from: big john on November 26, 2007, 11:37:20 pm
bacon i was talking to friend of mine he told me our new coach is Bobby Petrino you hereing any thing ?  :)he said it was done dill long is suppose to get him that,s what i am hereing .

I heard about 3 weeks ago that he had been contacted about coaching the Hogs and showed interest.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine, 1776