Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong rumors emerging...

Started by whatsshakinbacon, November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

El Puerco

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 27, 2007, 02:47:46 pm
I think you mean, "omniscient."

No...one can be omniscient but not omnipotent.  The reverse doesn't hold true. It's more inclusive a term for one that can know about said theoretical car accident while at the same time reversing it.

Look....I just want Gus

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 02:50:05 pm
Viewing something tragically is a human attachment. Death is just passing from one world to another. It's not a bad thing.
It is if you have two minor children, a wife, a $150,000 mortgage, no life insurance, $10,000 in credit card debt, two car notes and $1500 in savings. How many of you did I just describe...most of you?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

kmoore

How is Gus God's gift to coaching?? He wasn't the greatest high school ball coach ever!! Heck, his same team got whipped by central Mustain's junior year. I know MM broke his arm, but still...Why do so many on this site think he is God???
GO HOGS!!!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: kmoore on November 27, 2007, 02:57:20 pm
How is Gus God's gift to coaching?? He wasn't the greatest high school ball coach ever!! Heck, his same team got whipped by central Mustain's junior year. I know MM broke his arm, but still...Why do so many on this site think he is God???

because God said his name used to be Gus. It's in the bible...Old Testament.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Inguinal_Orchiectomy

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 02:31:49 pm
I just got a call from a certain someone that I know in real estate, and she told me that Guz is looking for houses. Take that for what it's worth as I don't even believe it.

That could be true, but doesn't mean as HC. He could be coming as OC with just about anyone.
I am the answer.

FranktheTankk

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 27, 2007, 02:56:25 pm
It is if you have two minor children, a wife, a $150,000 mortgage, no life insurance, $10,000 in credit card debt, two car notes and $1500 in savings. How many of you did I just describe...most of you?

Welcome to the world. I have all that except for the no life insurance, kids, and only 1 car note. Along with about $2,000 in savings.

FranktheTankk

Quote from: Inguinal_Orchiectomy on November 27, 2007, 02:59:28 pm
That could be true, but doesn't mean as HC. He could be coming as OC with just about anyone.

Very true. I honestly don't believe the call that I got anyways. I told her to shut up because I didn't believe it.

El Puerco

Quote from: Bubbas Bruisers on November 27, 2007, 02:57:29 pm

...also "omnipresent" applies.

Again, my etymologist friends, omnipotent is the more encompassing term.

The only thing that really applies here is that I didn't fret over this firing for years so that Reggie Herring's name could be bandied about as our new head coach.

razornole

Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

El Puerco

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 27, 2007, 02:58:05 pm

This is true.  New testament as well I believe.  Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Gus

wooly

<Raising Hand>   I have three children.....but other than that.

Could we be waiting out the conference championship games as a courtesy to those involved?

TLFHAWG

Good for Gus, this will be his experience.  Then he will be ready to be Head Hog.

MamaHogFan

H&D

Quote from: booogaga on November 26, 2007, 11:32:19 pm
he needs more experience

Doing what??  It's his system, what else do you people think he needs to learn?  Tulsa is going to out recruit Arkansas this year and you think Gus is the one that needs experience?  He is coaching the top ranked offense in the nation.  He is using mid level talent to blowout other mid level talent teams, I'm sure he can do the same if SEC level talent against SEC level talent......
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

El Puerco

Memphis....You're a salt of the earth kind of guy.  You're alright in my book

arcowboy

Quote from: forneyhog on November 27, 2007, 02:42:20 pm
So when will the announcement be made?  What is the advantage in waiting?

Its like when your spouse dies, there is supposed to be a yr of mourning, so even though the new coach is a done deal have to give a few days in respect for Dale's resigning,  we don't want it to look like he was fired now do we?   

razorbackfootballgirl

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:43:13 pm
Why is it that everyone else can see him as a good coach but because he left Arkansas last year when demoted we see him as "not ready"?

Unbelievable. 

He was not demoted.  He just wanted to leave and was taking anything coaching job he would get so he could move out of the "Nutthouse".  Who could blame him?? 

I'm totally with you, Bacon.   I Want Gus!!!

pfrg999

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 26, 2007, 11:26:47 pm
Usually one cannot determine a coach's potential based on one season at the college level but in Gus' case, I saw maturity and greatness in him last year as the Hogs' OC. I'll be shocked if he doesn't have a ton of success at the highest levels of college football before he's through with coaching.

Mark .,... Is that Really you? ;) excellent point as usual.... unless we disagree
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

tophawg19

sorry bacon but there is nothing in gus' past that prepares him to be the head coach of a major university. it's a whole world of difference between a high school h/c and college head coaches . being a great coordinator doesn't mean you will be a great head coach. also i don't think a pro coach translates well to being a good college coach. college coaching is more about being a good CEO and hiring good people rather than being a good coach yourself. in college the assistants do most of the actual coaching . it's the head coaches job to micro manage everything. do i think gus will be good ? yes someday but we can't wait that long. we don't need another stan heath. someone who has to  learn on the job. also i don't think gus can bring in sec caliber assistants . throwing money at them isn't going to get them either . going with a new unproven coach is carreer suicide for an assistant.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

the problem here is most people don't seem to know what it takes to be a head coach .

Scott E.

I suspect Gus' primary focus right now is the game plan against UCF for the CUSA Championship and a Liberty Bowl berth.  I don't think job shopping is on his 'to-do' list right now.  IMHO.  ::)

ScotchHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 27, 2007, 03:26:24 pm
sorry bacon but there is nothing in gus' past that prepares him to be the head coach of a major university. it's a whole world of difference between a high school h/c and college head coaches . being a great coordinator doesn't mean you will be a great head coach. also i don't think a pro coach translates well to being a good college coach. college coaching is more about being a good CEO and hiring good people rather than being a good coach yourself. in college the assistants do most of the actual coaching . it's the head coaches job to micro manage everything. do i think gus will be good ? yes someday but we can't wait that long. we don't need another stan heath. someone who has to  learn on the job. also i don't think gus can bring in sec caliber assistants . throwing money at them isn't going to get them either . going with a new unproven coach is carreer suicide for an assistant.
Houston didn't recruit for the last two years.  We're going to suck no matter who we bring in.  Why not let Gus get his 'on the job training' during the two years we will be down?
Always waiting

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ElPuerco on November 27, 2007, 03:07:25 pm
Thank you, my friend.

woghild

Bacon doesn't make loose or careless predictions, unlike so many you
read about on this board.

His flat-out prediction of what happened yesterday was as precisely
accurate as it was unequivocal.

If he predicts something, you can borrow money on it.

His prediction that the Dork's replacement was probably already
decided weeks ago sounds perfectly logical to me.

Those of us with any intelligence can only hope it's Gus.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 03:00:10 pm
Welcome to the world. I have all that except for the no life insurance, kids, and only 1 car note. Along with about $2,000 in savings.

Always cross the street at a crosswalk and wear reflective clothing if you walk at night.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 27, 2007, 03:27:50 pm
the problem here is most people don't seem to know what it takes to be a head coach .

I rest in the assurance that you do.  8)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: Oliver Miller on November 26, 2007, 11:26:49 pm
Great.  We get Mike Leach and somebody else gets Gus.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since these are the same people that let Nutt stay around for 10 years.

We lost Jimmy Johnson, Bear Bryant, Pete Carrol, and a slew of others and never got them back. What makes everyone think he will want to come back at Arkansas when he is winning NC.

razornole

Quote from: ElPuerco on November 27, 2007, 03:07:25 pm

well there is that texa$$ thing of his, but yeah
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

Scott E.

txrzrbk

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:25:07 pm
I am fine with letting him learn the ropes on someone else dime.

And we will see what you think when he is an SEC coach at someplace like LSU kicking our ass.

GusIsOmniscient

Quote from: Bubbas Bruisers on November 27, 2007, 02:57:29 pm

...also "omnipresent" applies.

Omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, in a totally calvinist way!
Quote from: imahoggie on December 07, 2007, 09:54:55 pm
rome wasnt built in a day.....but it would have been if gus had been there to run the hurry-up

hawaiianhogster

November 27, 2007, 03:47:25 pm #182 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:55:01 pm by hawaiianhogster

As far as a pro coach being a good college coach lets take a look at Coach June Jones of Hawaii. Lets see the best coaches in college come to Hawaii and recruit and win like June Jones has with the pay, money for recruiting, and money for his assistants, and the facilities to boot. Coach Jones is an awesome college football coach. There could be others out there too.

Gus could and would be an awesome college football coach. He won't come here because we still have morons running the program. Another Bear Bryant type of coach gone!

hawaiianhogster

November 27, 2007, 03:48:31 pm #183 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:52:25 pm by hawaiianhogster

sorry

hawaiianhogster

November 27, 2007, 03:49:10 pm #184 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:53:05 pm by hawaiianhogster

WTH!

woghild

The good folks at Tulsa are getting a little nervous:

http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1774&tid=106757736&mid=106757736&sid=1115&style=2

"The Arkansas opening has me very concerned"   :)

hawaiianhogster

November 27, 2007, 03:49:55 pm #186 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:53:47 pm by hawaiianhogster
I give up already.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

if Gus goes somewhere else and blows up and has a couple awesome years we will be talking about how we can't get him just like we do now about not being able to get Jimmy J
Let's make some waves.

Sao Ming

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:43:13 pm
Why is it that everyone else can see him as a good coach but because he left Arkansas last year when demoted we see him as "not ready"?

Unbelievable. 

Everyone?  Name just one and let's see what this list looks like.

phizeta564

Love him or hate him, he would be leaps and bounds over the dork

judgeroyswine

Whether Gus comes to Arkansas or not, isn't it funny to think of him coaching the Razorbacks against Hooten next fall?  All those pigskins being thrown downfield, with the Ole Miss corners and safeties with their backs to the ball?

Come on...you know that makes you smile.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Mr. Hog

Quote from: kmoore on November 27, 2007, 02:57:20 pm
We don't but we know he is good !  Who do you recommend ?
Go Hogs Go!

the notorious P.I.G.

well said. +1

tophawg19

chan gailey, bill callahan , dave wannstadt , charlie weiss these were all pro coaches who stepped back into colleges . june jones has who on his schedule ? he does have a good system but how does he fair against good teams? the bowl will tell how good he really is .

tophawg19

sonicbob

SMU or Southern Miss. as HC or OU as OC.

ArkiePup

Bacon has credibility!  If he tells you a chicken can pull a freight train, you'd better hook him up.

Merle Hawggard

Quote from: ArkiePup on November 27, 2007, 04:38:37 pm
Bacon has credibility!  If he tells you a chicken can pull a freight train, you'd better hook him up.

that line is trademarked!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

Michaelt

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 27, 2007, 02:58:05 pm

LOL....remind me not to stand close to you when the lightning starts!! LOL :D
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

dishhog10

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm
That Gus may be heading for greener pastures.  Expect to hear an announcement soon that a mid-major has hired him...as...head coach.

I'm telling you guys, someday we will be sorry.

Bacon out...

A mid-major, that could be Arkansas
Lets band together and back BP