Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong rumors emerging...

Started by whatsshakinbacon, November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PulledPork

Quote from: Mister_BS on November 27, 2007, 12:54:30 am
It would be awfully hard to hire Gus because of the drama just a year ago, and his treatment by Nutt and assistants. Timing may preclude his hiring, as much as experience.

Just because he began in high school shouldn't matter. After all, don't forget that Eddie Sutton was a high school coach in Tulsa. He became a pretty fair college coach, and a future Hall of Famer.
only about 5%   ::)

DevilHog

Everyone that thinks that Gus is not a serious canidate for this job is wrong. I think that there may be a couple of names in front of him, but it could work out that he is our head coach. Only time will tell.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: SwineOnUCrazyDiamond on November 26, 2007, 11:26:17 pm
Agreed. And, if God wants him at Arkansas, that's where God will put him.

God owes us one, after what Nutt has done here.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

granny grunt

Long is considering several oc's and dc's as the next head coach.   I personally think Gus Malzahn would be the best pick of the ones mentioned.
1.  He knows the Arkansas high school coaches and WOULD recruit well [probably finish building that fence that Nutt never put up]
2.  He is an offensive genuis [written books that major college coaches swear by]
3.  He is a relentless worker with great work ethics [ask some of the current coaches in Arkansas that learned under Gus]
4.  I believe him to be a fine upstanding young man,  with a lot of class[his silence and composure when he was shafted by Nutt proves this]

I think Gus Malzahn has everything any university would want in a head coach.....
Come on Long,   give him the chance............

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm
That Gus may be heading for greener pastures.  Expect to hear an announcement soon that a mid-major has hired him...as...head coach.

I'm telling you guys, someday we will be sorry.

Bacon out...

We wouldn't have to be.  gus has already shown with Benton High School that he's willing to quit a job immediately after being hired.  Let a mid major hire him.  We could still hire him a couple days later if we were so inclined.

Quote from: jfb4ever on November 27, 2007, 12:55:40 am
      It's 2014 and Gus has just embarassed the best in the SEC, for their 3rd National Championship! Arkansas finishes 2 and 10!
You don't truly believe Gus will win 3 NC's in the next 7 years do you?

dougieritch

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 26, 2007, 11:29:34 pm
Gus needs some seasoning at the D-1 level as a head guy.

Let him go get it at a mid-major.

obh

I understand where you are coming from, but sometimes you have to get them while they are available.  We waited one year too long to get Butch...will we wait too long for GUS?

Either way, I wish whomever the new coach is would try and bring GUS back to The Hill!

HoggySTruman

Hogeration

It would be the only hire that would slap Houston in the face like he has ours.  However, I like the Kiffin thing too.

devils69

It would be ideal for Gus to get a few more years under his belt being an OC or Head Coach at a mid-major, but am I the only one that thinks that our next hire is going to be here a minimum of 5 years or so.  I think there is zero chance we hire a head coach and then bring Gus in a couple of years.  If we bring in another coach 1st, we will have to give him a fair shot and to me, that means 4-5 years at the least. 

And I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but please quit thinking JJ has any interest in our coaching position.  He is enjoying fishing, golfing, and working on TV way too much to be lured into coming back as a college head coach where he has to hit the recruiting trails non-stop.  Let's think about real possibilities...he is not one imo.

Bama Hog™

That Gus may be heading for greener pastures.  Expect to hear an announcement soon that a mid-major has hired him...as...head coach.

Bacon out...

I am already sorry.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

wooly

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on November 27, 2007, 02:04:57 pm
We wouldn't have to be.  gus has already shown with Benton High School that he's willing to quit a job immediately after being hired.  Let a mid major hire him.  We could still hire him a couple days later if we were so inclined.

No reason to rub it in us Benton people's faces.  Didn't Gus call a meeting and the holdover staff not show up?

El Puerco

Quote from: SwineOnUCrazyDiamond on November 26, 2007, 11:26:17 pm
Agreed. And, if God wants him at Arkansas, that's where God will put him.

Then you should stop wearing seat-belts.  If God wants you dead, then that's what will happen.  Right?  What's the use of doing anything to prevent it?

We should have landed Gus

HogSophist

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:25:07 pm
I am fine with letting him learn the ropes on someone else dime.

like tiger wasnt ready when he left stanford, or lebron the jump to the pros, or......
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

El Puerco

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:43:13 pm
Why is it that everyone else can see him as a good coach but because he left Arkansas last year when demoted we see him as "not ready"?

Unbelievable. 

This is the smartest thing I've read today

El Puerco

Quote from: HogSophist on November 27, 2007, 02:24:17 pm
like tiger wasnt ready when he left stanford, or lebron the jump to the pros, or......

This is the second smartest

El Puerco

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:25:07 pm
I am fine with letting him learn the ropes on someone else dime.

This is the dumbest.

phadedhawg

Does Gus want us?

I haven't heard much about that...

Nashville Fan

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 27, 2007, 12:47:51 am

The same idiots who may choose a nerd hire over Malzahn are the same idiots that chose Hatfield over Johnson and Nutt over Tubberville.
Actually it is Hatfield over Johnson and Spurrier. I like Hatfield but wow it was a hot job back then.
Pittman or Bust!

Merle Hawggard

November 27, 2007, 02:28:16 pm #120 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:30:23 pm by Merle Hawggard
for the 10,000th time, im telling you i was told at the Tenn game Tuberville was coming to Ark. Everything else the man told me has come true. im not exactly fired up for TT, but it's not like they're coming to my house and asking my opinion!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

arcowboy

I think everyone is going to be surprised at who is named the new coach, but will be very happy.

big john

i am with Bacon gus is very good coach an if we dont get him some body will he,s a winner all the way. :)
john goodwin

DeltaBoy

Something makes me feel that JIM Frank Long and White will screw this up really bad!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: big john on November 27, 2007, 02:29:20 pm
i am with Bacon gus is very good coach an if we dont get him some body will he,s a winner all the way. :)

Is he a fighter too though?

snoblind

I tend to agree with Bacon, it's a done deal - just have to wait on timing.  I know the sources I have are not  as good as yours, but I have heard the same thing - it's 95% or more done, but no names.

Merle Hawggard

Quote from: arcowboy on November 27, 2007, 02:29:14 pm
I think everyone is going to be surprised at who is named the new coach, but will be very happy.

is there something behind that statement?
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

FranktheTankk

I just got a call from a certain someone that I know in real estate, and she told me that Guz is looking for houses. Take that for what it's worth as I don't even believe it.

ToddW

I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

judgeroyswine

Shakin has written many a fine verse and posted it on Hogville.  He is probably one of the most eloquent people on this board, but hear me now, not one of his excellent articles contains the inevitable truth of this one.

If we do not hire Gus, we will one day regret it.  He may not be the guy to repair this particular fracture, but that is a shame, because the guy is destined for success.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

snoblind

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 02:31:49 pm
I just got a call from a certain someone that I know in real estate, and she told me that Guz is looking for houses. Take that for what it's worth as I don't even believe it.

Looking for houses where?

judgeroyswine

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 02:31:49 pm

So what now?  You sit back and watch to see how many perch bite on this little piece of bacon you have dangled?

Give me a break.

FranktheTankk

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 27, 2007, 02:36:17 pm
So what now?  You sit back and watch to see how many perch bite on this little piece of bacon you have dangled?

Give me a break.

Not waiting for any bites. Just putting the info that I was told out there. I did state that I don't even believe it. Move along Swine.

big john

will i take gus over any coach he is a winner all the way an he love arkansas it,s a win win for us i love to have him he,s lot better coach then nutt get them paper,s ready .  :)
john goodwin

judgeroyswine

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 02:37:58 pm
Not waiting for any bites. Just putting the info that I was told out there. I did state that I don't even believe it. Move along Swine.

You use the word "Swine" as if it were a bad thing.

forneyhog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:40:55 pm
All I know is whoever is coming in has likely already been hired.

This search has been ongoing for longer than Nutt would want you to know.

Bacon out...

So when will the announcement be made?  What is the advantage in waiting?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ElPuerco on November 27, 2007, 02:20:42 pm
Then you should stop wearing seat-belts.  If God wants you dead, then that's what will happen.  Right?  What's the use of doing anything to prevent it?

We should have landed Gus

What if God doesn't want you dead but doesn't watch you for a couple of hours while you are driving? Then, BAM! from someone running a red light and next thing you know you're talking to George Tribou or Pope John Paul II in the clouds.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

little hog

Quote from: MCPeePants on November 27, 2007, 03:55:30 am
Arrggghhhhh......this bugs me.

Receivers? What receivers? He was basically forced into battle with a grand total of 2 SEC caliber talents at the position, Monk and Williams (whose fleeting presence was only due to Malzahn) thanks to Nutt's failure to recruit any. Monk had a great year under Gus and Williams had a good year until he got hurt and made the all SEC freshman team anyway. After Williams went lame, Gus was basically stuck having to go into SEC battle with a WR core consisting of Monk and a bunch of random non-recievers forced into the position, including 2 QBs (Robert Johnson and Cedric Washington), 1 TE (Cleveland), 1 division III type talent (Fish) and a walk on or two (Rees, Miller), thanks to the head coach's failure to recruit the position.

What do you expect Malzahn to do without any talent to work with? He can't really help it if Crawford can't stay healthy and he can't magically help Baker or Logan or whoever grow new hands or new brains. If they simply can't catch or they're simply incapable of grasping the necessary concepts to play the position mentally, then there's not much Malzahn or anyone else can do about it.   

Wrong. Nutt was responsible because he left the team bereft of any receivers behind Monk. If the "receivers" playing at the end of the year didn't do too well, it's only because they were, by and large, non-SEC talents converted into "receivers" from other positions as a last resort and/or walk-on types who were forced into having to play meaningful time against the likes of Florida thanks to Nutt's failure to provide the offense with real receivers.

+1 - HIRE GUS!!!

FranktheTankk

Quote from: judgeroyswine on November 27, 2007, 02:41:54 pm
You use the word "Swine" as if it were a bad thing.

No I was just refering right at you so you wouldn't miss it.

El Puerco

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 27, 2007, 02:42:27 pm
What if God doesn't want you dead but doesn't watch you for a couple of hours while you are driving? Then, BAM! from someone running a red light and next thing you know you're talking to George Tribou or Pope John Paul II in the clouds.

EXACTLY....The point is look out for yourself and don't rely on divine intervention....i.e. GO GET GUS in this situation.  However, we all know that god is omnipotent so there is no such thing as a coupla hours where he isn't watching.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 02:44:31 pm
No I was just refering right at you so you wouldn't miss it.

Thanks, most people wouldn't be that considerate.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ElPuerco on November 27, 2007, 02:45:55 pm
EXACTLY....The point is look out for yourself and don't rely on divine intervention....i.e. GO GET GUS in this situation.  However, we all know that god is omnipotent so there is no such thing as a coupla hours where he isn't watching.

Then why do people die untimely, tragic deaths? Does God like that?

judgeroyswine

Quote from: ElPuerco on November 27, 2007, 02:45:55 pm

I think you mean, "omniscient."

NedBeattySquealed

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:32:06 pm
We're not getting Butch.  Next?

Kiffin
TT
Peterson
Kelly

I'd love it if any of the above brought in Gus as OC.
" It's not hate...Well come to think of it, yes it is."

El Puerco

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 27, 2007, 02:47:02 pm

I didn't say I was a religious man

FranktheTankk

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on November 27, 2007, 02:47:02 pm

Viewing something tragically is a human attachment. Death is just passing from one world to another. It's not a bad thing.

forneyhog

Quote from: FranktheTankk on November 27, 2007, 02:50:05 pm
Viewing something tragically is a human attachment. Death is just passing from one world to another. It's not a bad thing.

Untimely according to our timetable not God's and tragic according to our standards, not God's.  Remember, God did not create death - it was a result of "the fall."

Pathological

GUS, GUS, HE'S OUR MAN! IF HE CAN'T DO IT, WE'RE IN THE CAN!
GO HOGS!

TheNuttlessFrontier

Bacon out...

WSB, I'm with you on this one.  We're letting another one get away.