Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong rumors emerging...

Started by whatsshakinbacon, November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsshakinbacon

That Gus may be heading for greener pastures.  Expect to hear an announcement soon that a mid-major has hired him...as...head coach.

I'm telling you guys, someday we will be sorry.

Bacon out...

Pork Twain

I am fine with letting him learn the ropes on someone else dime.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:22:48 pm
That Gus may be heading for greener pastures.  Expect to hear an announcement soon that a mid-major has hired him...as...head coach.

Bacon out...
If he blows up his first year or has two back-to-back great seasons, I'll take him.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:25:07 pm

Who would you hire?

SwinedMelon

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:25:07 pm
Agreed. And, if God wants him at Arkansas, that's where God will put him.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

HognotinMemphis

Bacon out...
Usually one cannot determine a coach's potential based on one season at the college level but in Gus' case, I saw maturity and greatness in him last year as the Hogs' OC. I'll be shocked if he doesn't have a ton of success at the highest levels of college football before he's through with coaching.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Oliver

Bacon out...

Great.  We get Mike Leach and somebody else gets Gus.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since these are the same people that let Nutt stay around for 10 years.

RumRunner

oldbooniehog

Gus needs some seasoning at the D-1 level as a head guy.

Let him go get it at a mid-major.

obh

Hogs-n-Roses

Looks to me like a sensible hire for us. The big names and Nutts buyout creat revenue problems.Yes this money could be paid but at what cost.(pun intended).We need to get smart with our money and those running that dept. need to be evaluated as soon as possible as their past performances have us paying to many coaches to not coach here. I say give him the chance.

Madhog2020

He's going to be OC for Ole Miss under HDN :-)

Pork Twain

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:25:29 pm
Who would you hire?
Not a guy two years removed from high school to head up an SEC team.  He was (or not) the OC for the Hogs and then Co-OC for Tulsa.  Nothing about that tells me he is ready to run the Arkansas program.  He needs to learn the ropes and then I am all for him running the Hogs. 

I am for Butch Davis...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

OneLardAlmighty

We're pretty much a mid-major.  Or at least mid.  Any chance it's us?

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:30:11 pm
Not a guy two years removed from high school to head up an SEC team.  He was (or not) the OC for the Hogs and then Co-OC for Tulsa.  Nothing about that tells me he is ready to run the Arkansas program.  He needs to learn the ropes and then I am all for him running the Hogs. 

I am for Butch Davis...

We're not getting Butch.  Next?

LuckyGiraffe

Major Applewhite is rumored for the So Miss job... BUT wouldn't it be great to see Nutt vs Gus for in-state recruits!!!

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Nap

This is what makes me sick.  I don't think there's that much of a "learning curve" to coaching college football.  You either have it or you don't.  I suspect that Gus has "it".  I would take him in a heartbeat here at Arkansas.

Unfortunately, he will be somewhere else.  If this school is seriously about healing the "divided" fanbase, they can't bring in a coach that some people will always associate with Houston Nutt's departure.  Besides, how awkward would it be for the current Razorback players who had to endure last year's soap opera, not to mention the ridicule they must have witnessed coming from the MSM directed at "High School" Malzahn.

Maybe someday, but I think Malzahn will do fine at a mid-major school, then maybe we can bring him in after about five seasons (assuming we are looking for someone else at some point down the road).
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

HogFan1973

I am for Butch Davis...

Why not BD as the head guy and Gus as the OC?

Pecos Hog

If we hire a more mature and experienced coach this time, say Jimmie Johnson, to turn this program around, we'd probably be needing another coach within 4 to 6 years due to his age.   At that time the door would be wide open for Gus at Arkansas.

Hog-I

Quote from: JoeDaddyHog on November 26, 2007, 11:26:57 pm
So. Miss??

That would be a great fit for Gus.  Let them groom him and maybe he'll "come home" at some point in the future.  He's very young.

The_Iceman

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:25:29 pm
Who would you hire?

as the head coach? not right now. But if we hired a Jimmy Johnson type coach, i wouldnt mind him as the OC with it known he will be the head coach in 3 years.

Hog-I

Quote from: Nap on November 26, 2007, 11:32:38 pm
This is what makes me sick.  I don't think there's that much of a "learning curve" to coaching college football.  You either have it or you don't.  I suspect that Gus has "it".  I would take him in a heartbeat here at Arkansas.

Unfortunately, he will be somewhere else.  If this school is seriously about healing the "divided" fanbase, they can't bring in a coach that some people will always associate with Houston Nutt's departure.  Besides, how awkward would it be for the current Razorback players who had to endure last year's soap opera, not to mention the ridicule they must have witnessed coming from the MSM directed at "High School" Malzahn.

Maybe someday, but I think Malzahn will do fine at a mid-major school, then maybe we can bring him in after about five seasons (assuming we are looking for someone else at some point down the road).

The only problem is that coaching college football is so much more than Xs and Os.  That's why I think if we did go the Gus route, he would need an old school coach on staff somewhere, preferably one with head coaching experience in college.

Pork Twain

November 26, 2007, 11:37:11 pm #22 Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:38:45 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:32:06 pm
We're not getting Butch.  Next?
Nothing is final until someone is hired.  Did last year teach you nothing???  I think Nutt will be great but I just do not think he is ready to lead the Hogs in the SEC.  Give him a couple of years at a mid-major while the wounds heal in our state and then bring him on.

big john

bacon i was talking to friend of mine he told me our new coach is Bobby Petrino you hereing any thing ?  :)he said it was done dill long is suppose to get him that,s what i am hereing .
john goodwin

HawgPilot

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:37:11 pm
Nothing is final until someone is hired.  Did last year teach you nothing???

Don't you mean until the ink dries?  Two different things.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: big john on November 26, 2007, 11:37:20 pm
bacon i was talking to friend of mine he told me our new coach is Bobby Petrino you hereing any thing ?  :)he said it was done dill long is suppose to get him that,s what i am hereing .

All I know is whoever is coming in has likely already been hired.

This search has been ongoing for longer than Nutt would want you to know.

Bacon out...

Razor8

So how many of you think that we will hire someone like Butch Davis then in 3 years fire him and hire Gus Malzahn after he gets some experience - it wont happen - then Gus gets a job at a big name college (maybe in the SEC) and then its over and we have no shot at him at all and then he beats us every year OR we can hire him now (b/c unless your blind we all know he will be a great HC) and maybe suffer subpar seasons for 2 years but prob not more likely we could hire him and he comes in and we go from just better than mediocre to a very good team every years for 10 - 15 yrs or more.

I'm not saying it wont happen but from what i understand no coach who has won a national championship has ever gone to another college and won another one, EVER.
Razorbacks

Pork Twain

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:39:16 pm
Don't you mean until the ink dries?  Two different things.
So true...  I would love to have Gus but I think that at this time there are better options to help our fanbase heal and bridge the gap.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razor8 on November 26, 2007, 11:41:28 pm
So how many of you think that we will hire someone like Butch Davis then in 3 years fire him and hire Gus Malzahn after he gets some experience - it wont happen - then Gus gets a job at a big name college (maybe in the SEC) and then its over and we have no shot at him at all and then he beats us every year OR we can hire him now (b/c unless your blind we all know he will be a great HC) and maybe suffer subpar seasons for 2 years but prob not more likely we could hire him and he comes in and we go from just better than mediocre to a very good team every years for 10 - 15 yrs or more.

I'm not saying it wont happen but from what i understand no coach who has won a national championship has ever gone to another college and won another one, EVER.

why would you fire Butch?

Nap

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 26, 2007, 11:40:55 pm
All I know is whoever is coming in has likely already been hired.

This search has been ongoing for longer than Nutt would want you to know.

Bacon out...

Stop teasing us!  You know something!  You always do!  Spill the beans!
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: opineonswine on November 26, 2007, 11:39:46 pm
I've heard of similar interest from a BCS school.

Why is it that everyone else can see him as a good coach but because he left Arkansas last year when demoted we see him as "not ready"?

Unbelievable. 

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:42:05 pm
So true...  I would love to have Gus but I think that at this time there are better options to help our fanbase heal and bridge the gap.

After the way White/Nutt/Broyles aggravated the wound tonight, I don't think the fanbase will ever unite.

Only wins can do that.

Bacon out...

Silver Hog

hire gus now!

We -are- only a mid-major...

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:37:11 pm
Nothing is final until someone is hired.  Did last year teach you nothing???  I think Nutt will be great but I just do not think he is ready to lead the Hogs in the SEC.  Give him a couple of years at a mid-major while the wounds heal in our state and then bring him on.

Jimmy?  WTH!  LOL!    ;)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ckhawgu

I wish they would seriously consider Gus. Football is football and he has a very good grasp of the X's and O's.

Donny2665

I am for Butch Davis...

What is with the Old Timers way of thinking? This is the New Millennium now and People are a little more advanced then they were back in the day. The fast paced world we live in now demands success now. Gus is on that path, why not scoop him up now and reap the benefits?
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 26, 2007, 11:46:43 pm

Jimmy?  WTH!  LOL!    ;)
You are a funny man...  I am so happy about the future of the Hogs no matter who leads them.

BigDPiggie

Quote from: ckhawgu on November 26, 2007, 11:46:48 pm
I wish they would seriously consider Gus. Football is football and he has a very good grasp of the X's and O's.
Whatever we do is a step up.
It's Festivus... for the rest of us!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:48:35 pm
You are a funny man...  I am so happy about the future of the Hogs no matter who leads them.

Just digging at your typo, brutha.  Hows Colorado?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hackett Hog Fan on November 26, 2007, 11:48:00 pm
What is with the Old Timers way of thinking? This is the New Millennium now and People are a little more advanced then they were back in the day. The fast paced world we live in now demands success now. Gus is on that path, why not scoop him up now and reap the benefits?
Even in today's fast paced world coaches don't usually go from HS coach - OC - OC - SEC HC.  There is a learning process.  We already hired one coach that was not ready for the SEC...

BigDPiggie

Quote from: Hackett Hog Fan on November 26, 2007, 11:48:00 pm
I enjoy any post that goes the old timers route.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 26, 2007, 11:49:55 pm

Just digging at your typo, brutha.  Hows Colorado?
Loving it out here and loving the great news from Arkansas

respirback

Quote from: Nap on November 26, 2007, 11:32:38 pm

Not much of a learning curve to be a AD either.  You should apply smart guy.

CoachHogT

Lets see... 1st year as OC at the college level...OC coach of the year..... second year as OC at the college level... No. 1 offense in the country..... I see a pattern... do you?

BigDPiggie

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 26, 2007, 11:51:05 pm
Loving it out here and loving the great news from Arkansas
Enjoy the snow!

bphi11ips

November 26, 2007, 11:54:48 pm #47 Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:56:21 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: SwineOnUCrazyDiamond on November 26, 2007, 11:26:17 pm
Agreed. And, if God wants him at Arkansas, that's where God will put him.

What a Bozo.  I guess God wants millions to die in Darfur, too.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

I12PLAY

GUS:

the man has done nothing but win wherever he goes.  I've heard nothing but good things about him from my home town of Hughes which is where Gus started his coaching career.  I think it is a mistake to not hire Gus.  Someone will hire him and they will be rewarded by doing so.  He will win I agree with whatshakinbacon!!! Its not going to take long before a miami picks him up and he dominates for a decade! Like a jimmy johnson.

i'm sorry you nobelievers of gus because he coached at high school have no leg to stand on he leads the ncaa this yr in total offense. in d1NCAA.  He led us to our 1st 10 win season since when the 60's.  dont let the bs that happened with nutt cloud your judgement of gus.  nutt was a good guy but he benefitted from malzahn last yr.  HIRE GUS!

Dbl D