Missco

I think he'll be the next head coach.

HoggySTruman

Interesting possibility

Sao Ming

Kiffin is a no-brainer.

Buy him.

OneLardAlmighty

I have no idea whether this is a real possibility, but I'd be all for it if it were.

HawgAlude

he was 3-8 at oakland this past season -- why is that you want this guy again?

GWFan

AlDillard

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 27, 2007, 11:57:56 am
There is?  Ty Willingham got fired after three years at ND, one of them was a 10 win season with a BCS bowl appearance.  Coach O just got fired after 4 years in Ole Miss. 

Most NFL teams will give you at least that long.  Not to mention the money is better for NFL coaches and the prestige is higher. 

I would love to hire Kiffin, but I think this is pipe dream speculation almost on the level of us hiring Jimmy Johnson.
It stopped being a pipe dream on a Jimmy Johnson level when many experts on espn started saying he was in the top 3.

seb2000

Yes, Gus has potential...in five or six years.

Butch Davis...White & Broyles already screwed that one up.

Mike Leach...what quaterback do we have to fit into his system over the next few years?

Chris Peterson...Boise St. - really?

Jimmy Johnson...only in our dreams.

If Kiffin is a real candidate - go get him!  He's young, talented, a good recruiter, coached at USC (think he learned anything there?) and has been in the NFL.  How's that look to a high school senior trying to pick a school?

Kiffin - good choice.

Erockster20

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HawgAlude on November 27, 2007, 12:02:10 pm

I am not understanding people's fascination with coaches NFL record....so how did Butch Davis do at Cleveland...what about Steve Spurrior at Washington...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: GWFan on November 27, 2007, 12:02:12 pm
PASS.

Gus is the mane.

You will pass on USC's Offensive Coordinator who is now a NFL coach?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

runninghog

I think Kiffin is one of the few names mentioned so far that could pull off a unification.  My opinion and just a hunch.

GWFan

Quote from: seb2000 on November 27, 2007, 12:02:39 pm
Yes, Gus has potential...in five or six years.

Butch Davis...White & Broyles already screwed that one up.

Mike Leach...what quaterback do we have to fit into his system over the next few years?

Chris Peterson...Boise St. - really?

Jimmy Johnson...only in our dreams.

If Kiffin is a real candidate - go get him!  He's young, talented, a good recruiter, coached at USC (think he learned anything there?) and has been in the NFL.  How's that look to a high school senior trying to pick a school?

Kiffin - good choice.
31 year old kid compared to Gus.
Kiffin has won 3 games as HC.  Never been HC even of a high school.  Someone gives him the reins of an FB team and he's losin'.

Some folks line of thinking make me laugh.

The_Bionic_Pig

LANE KIFFIN
Offensive Coordinator
Wide Receivers
Recruiting Coordinator
Lane Kiffin, the son of longtime pro and collegiate coach Monte Kiffin, is in his sixth year at USC. He joined the Trojan staff in February of 2001 and spent the 2001 season handling the tight ends. He became the wide receivers coach in 2002. In 2004, he took on the additional duty of passing game coordinator. In 2005, he was promoted to offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator, in addition to continuing as the wide receivers coach.

In 2005, he was named one of the nation's Top 25 recruiters by Rivals.com. Wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett was an All-American first teamer and Biletnikoff Award finalist. Troy's offense was in the national Top 6 in every offensive category, including tops in total offense (579.8) and second in scoring offense (49.1), and set Pac-10 records for total offense yardage, first downs, points scored, touchdowns and PATs. The Trojans, who scored 50 points a school-record 7 times, won games by an average of 26.2 points. USC became the first school to have a 3,000-yard passer, a pair of 1,000-yard runners and a 1,000-yard receiver in a season.

In 2004, Jarrett was named a Freshman All-American first teamer. The Trojans won their second consecutive national championship.

Wide receiver Mike Williams was a consensus All-American first teamer and a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award in 2003 (he finished eighth in the Heisman Trophy balloting) as he set the USC career (30) and season (16) touchdown reception records, while fellow wide receiver Keary Colbert set the USC career reception record (207) and was a NFL second round pick. Troy won its first national championship since 1978.

In 2002, Williams was a Freshman All-American first teamer and the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year as he and Colbert became USC's first pair of 1,000-yard receivers. Also in 2002, wide receiver Kareem Kelly became the Trojan career reception leader and was a sixth round NFL draft pick.

USC played in the 2001 Las Vegas Bowl, 2003 Orange Bowl, 2004 Rose Bowl, 2005 Orange Bowl (BCS Championship Game) and 2006 Rose Bowl (BCS Championship Game).

Kiffin, 30, was the defensive quality control coach for the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars in 2000 (he worked with the secondary).

He began his coaching career at Fresno State, his alma mater, where for 2 seasons (1997-98) he worked with the quarterbacks, wide receivers and defensive backs.

He then was an assistant at Colorado State in 1999, working with the offensive line. The Rams played in the Liberty Bowl that season.

Kiffin was a quarterback at Fresno State for 3 seasons (1994-96).

He earned his bachelor's degree in leisure service management from Fresno State in 1998.

He prepped at Bloomington (Minn.) Jefferson High, where he played football, basketball and baseball.

He was born May 9, 1975. His wife's name is Layla. They have a daughter, Landry, 1.

His father, Monte, is the defensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The elder Kiffin, a longtime NFL and collegiate assistant coach who served as North Carolina State's head coach in the early 1980s, has a long history with Pete Carroll (Carroll was an assistant on Kiffin's Wolfpack staff from 1980 to 1982, and they served as assistants together with Arkansas in 1977, the Buffalo Bills in 1984, the Minnesota Vikings from 1986 to 1989 and the New York Jets in 1990).
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PORKER1

If he is the coach that everyone wants, then you can bet that they will not hire him. They will hire some nobody from rooster poot high. I think Kiffin would be a great hire.

jmulkern

Ty willingham never took Notre Dame to a BCS bowl. They lost to N.C.St in the Gator Bowl his first season. His record at ND was 10-3, 5-7, 6-6
Quote from: Hogdomer on November 27, 2007, 11:57:56 am
There is?  Ty Willingham got fired after three years at ND, one of them was a 10 win season with a BCS bowl appearance.  Coach O just got fired after 4 years in Ole Miss. 

Most NFL teams will give you at least that long.  Not to mention the money is better for NFL coaches and the prestige is higher. 

I would love to hire Kiffin, but I think this is pipe dream speculation almost on the level of us hiring Jimmy Johnson.

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 27, 2007, 12:06:53 pm
You will pass on USC's Offensive Coordinator who is now a NFL coach?
Some people would rather buy a lottery ticket than have $10,000 in the bank. Not me.

LAHOGG

Maybe he liked the facilities and the overall area when he was in town in 06' when they played us.

AlDillard

Quote from: GWFan on November 27, 2007, 12:07:48 pm
Kiffin has won 3 games as HC.  Never been HC even of a high school.  Someone gives him the reins of an FB team and he's losin'.

Wow.

You sir are a closed minded and ignorant person. You are probably one of those Arkansans that has never been on one of those big, metal flying birds.

GWFan

OTTER

Kiffin would be a super hire.  I remember that when he was at USC, they were calling him a young offensive genius.  Long needs to go get him--NOW!!!!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Jakebo14

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 27, 2007, 12:05:54 pm
I am not understanding people's fascination with coaches NFL record....so how did Butch Davis do at Cleveland...what about Steve Spurrior at Washington...

What about Pete Carroll. Don't think he did too awesome in the NFL either. Last I heard he was a somewhat decent coach.

David Brent

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 27, 2007, 11:23:08 am
Lane is the one responsible for all those great recruiting classes at the University of Southern California.  He jumped from Asst. coach to NFL coach.  He is a scary good recruitor and would pretty much own Texas & Louisiana if hired.

That's a bit sensational.  I'm sure he's a great recruiter, but so was Orgeron and others and we all know Pete Carroll is great as well.  He was absolutely not (solely) responsible for any of those great recruiting classes.

You people are like giddy little school girls.  I think this would be an outstanding hire, but be real about it, Napoleon.  Nobody is going to come in here and 'pretty much own" Louisiana and texas from the jump.  You can believe anything you want, I just hate to see so many people thinking you actually know what you're talking about.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: GWFan on November 27, 2007, 12:07:48 pm

So now your comparing Tulsa to the Oakland Raiders job...now that is truly comedy.  Listen I like Gus too and would love for him to have the job but some of you need to pull you lungs off his scrotum. JEEZ
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Harrisonhogfan

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on November 27, 2007, 11:52:24 am
Because he just realized he is coaching at Oakland.  Thats easy

If this is true it will hurt us in recruiting to wait until the NFL season is over to make it legal.

GWFan

Quote from: AlDillard on November 27, 2007, 12:11:27 pm
Wow.

You sir are a closed minded and ignorant person. You are probably one of those Arkansans that has never been on one of those big, metal flying birds.
Well actually I have, but what in the world would that have to do with me comparing this young man to Gus Malzahn, "sir"?

Hollywood_HOGan45

LK would be an awsome hire and a HUGE step up!

PORKER1

Pay him the money and lets get this ball rolling. What are they waiting on. Houston already has a job. Why are we dragging our feet on this. Are they going to wait till we have to take someone we really don't want?

Razorhio

He sounds good to me.  Anyone but Mike Leach at this point.

GWFan

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 27, 2007, 12:13:14 pm
So now your comparing Tulsa to the Oakland Raiders job...now that is truly comedy.  Listen I like Gus too and would love for him to have the job but some of you need to pull you lungs off his scrotum. JEEZ
Kiffin is a kid who got where he is by "who you know" rather than "what you know".  Believe that or not.

I'm outta this cheap thread.

Good day.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: David Brent on November 27, 2007, 12:12:30 pm
That's a bit sensational.  I'm sure he's a great recruiter, but so was Orgeron and others and we all know Pete Carroll is great as well.  He was absolutely not (solely) responsible for any of those great recruiting classes.

You people are like giddy little school girls.  I think this would be an outstanding hire, but be real about it, Napoleon.  Nobody is going to come in here and 'pretty much own" Louisiana and texas from the jump.  You can believe anything you want, I just hate to see so many people thinking you actually know what you're talking about.

Umm who do you think was beating out Texas & Louisiana for the #1 recruits in each state in 06' all the way from the West Coast.... Let me guess your probably too busy spreading those cheeks for Gus to even consider anyone else right.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 27, 2007, 12:15:31 pm
Umm who do you think was beating out Texas & Louisiana for the #1 recruits in each state in 06' all the way from the West Coast.... Let me guess your probably too busy spreading those cheeks for Gus to even consider anyone else right.

Ha Ha. Spreading those cheeks.  Thats funny

PORKER1

If the recruits new he was coming maybe they would stay. We need to make a choice NOW! Let everyone know who's going to be the next coach.

PORKER1

Gus is great but your wasting your time and space wishing he was our HC. HE IS NOT COMING.........GET IT AND GET OVER IT.

HawgTide

WOO you're better than that.There's no need to get personal fellas.We are all on the same team.

H&D

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

GWFan

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on November 27, 2007, 12:20:49 pm
WOO you're better than that.There's no need to get personal fellas.We are all on the same team.
Kinda what I was thinking.

stopwatch

What is his present salary if anyone knows?

BroyledNutts

I think Jeff Long already has his man, and is going through the required motions as per the hiring policy at the UofA...And we're not going to know who it is until it's announced...

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on November 27, 2007, 12:20:49 pm

Nothing personal I would love to have Gus I just don't like it when people dismiss me as not knowing what I am talking about just because their opinion doesn't vibe with mine.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

H&D

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 27, 2007, 12:05:54 pm

How did Pete Carroll do in the NFL?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

LAHOGG

November 27, 2007, 12:23:54 pm #91 Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:26:11 pm by LAHOGG
I like the guy, so far everybody I've talked with around USC loves him too.  They actually think he's too good to come to little ole arkansas.  Those Basturds!!!!  Besides, his style of offense would fit in better with the personel we have at this time than gus'.  He might even convince Felix to stay with the fact that USC runs the ball 50 percent of the time.

PorkRyan

Quote from: stopwatch on November 27, 2007, 12:22:30 pm
What is his present salary if anyone knows?

3 year contract, 2 million per year.

TLFHAWG

Kiffin could be the next Urban Myer.  He has the background and experience.  I hope we get him.  Go Hogs.  

LAHOGG

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 27, 2007, 12:22:42 pm
I think Jeff Long already has his man, and is going through the required motions as per the hiring policy at the UofA...And we're not going to know who it is until it's announced...

I hope its a good hire then.  Because if Espn's got higher hopes for us then the UA I'm going to be pissed.

razorbackmkh

Quote from: HawgAlude on November 27, 2007, 12:02:10 pm
3-8 in the pros. Good point. But let us recall some other coaches that didn't do so well in the pros...Pete Carroll, Spurrier, Saban. The world of difference between coaching college and pros has a lot to do with dealing with a bunch of divas that make 5 xs your salary as opposed to working with respectful young men that want a free education and a shot at the pros. Kiffin is loved and RESPECTED by the young men he has coached. He is one of the most brilliant offensive minds in the nation (we could pass AND run under Kiffin). His dad, Monte was the Arkansas DC from 77-80 and INVENTED the Tampa 2. Great football pedigree and has proven himself on the college level. I'm not really concerned if the guy cant win at Oakland, I'm sure its not all too easy to deal with the ego on that team and the fact that you've got players who just don't show up to practice, hold out until midseason to sign contracts, ect. ect. My only concern is that he can win at the college level, and he did a pretty good job of that at USC.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

Phenomenal One

Quote from: Jakebo14 on November 27, 2007, 12:12:25 pm
What about Pete Carroll. Don't think he did too awesome in the NFL either. Last I heard he was a somewhat decent coach.

Yeah, Pete Carroll sucked when he was with the Jets.  Didn't he coach the Patriots too?  He didn't do too well there either

HootieHaterfromALA

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 27, 2007, 11:23:08 am
Lane is the one responsible for all those great recruiting classes at the University of Southern California.  He jumped from Asst. coach to NFL coach.  He is a scary good recruitor and would pretty much own Texas & Louisiana if hired.

Not sure about that one.....Southern Cal is responsible for all those recruiting classes....Hootie could recruit at USC

David Brent

Dude, if you think I want Gus to get this job you're crazy.  That's you and your pals that swing on Gus' manhood.  I've never even been close to joining that club.  Can you honestly say the same thing?  (we can compare post history if we need to)

I said I was sure LK was a great recruiter, but just shut up about him owning LA and TX.  That's just over the top.  USC has had many good players sign with them in the past few years, but I can assure you Lane Kiffin wasn't the main reason.

Like I said I'm all for him, I hope he gets the job.  I just thought your comments above were a little over the top and reminded me of a giddy little schoolgirl getting carried away.  That's all. 

David Brent

Quote from: HootieHaterfromALA on November 27, 2007, 12:28:26 pm
Not sure about that one.....Southern Cal is responsible for all those recruiting classes....Hootie could recruit at USC

Thank you.