Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How big of a disaster will it be if WVU is playing Mizzou in the NCG?

Started by Hogtropolis™, November 24, 2007, 11:15:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

That will end up being one of the lowest ratings for a NCG ever if you ask me.

Hawgvillain

Not going to be an SEC team no matter what...so it's going to be a paper NC anyways...

OklaU

"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

jgphillips3

It may be a disaster, but it may also help spur us down the road to at least having a "plus one" playoff game.

Pigonometry

Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PotBelliedPig29

The sad thing is this would have been the perfect year for a plus one. The best teams in the country (because of the parity) are not going to be playing in the NC.
"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

If by very low ratings you mean the most watched thing on TV other than the super bowl you are right. They will be high. They will, however probably be lower than in recent years, but still really good overall.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PotBelliedPig29 on November 24, 2007, 11:18:03 pm
The sad thing is this would have been the perfect year for a plus one. The best teams in the country (because of the parity) are not going to be playing in the NC.

Need more than +1 this year...who are the best 6 teams in US?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: ShortHog on November 24, 2007, 11:18:52 pm
If by very low ratings you mean the most watched thing on TV other than the super bowl you are right. They will be high. They will, however probably be lower than in recent years, but still really good overall.
I will almost guarantee that the ratings will be down from previous year's NCGs.

ark30inf

Its fine with me.  I would not watch a game with Ohio State in it, but would watch a game with Mizzou  in it.  I like seeing teams I have not seen before in the NC game.  I don't consider it a disaster at all.  I think its healthy and refreshing.

All of these teams knew what they had to do.  LSU had EVERY opportunity to take care of business but did not.  Missouri has so far done what it has needed to do.

The BCS sucks.  But it does have rules and a formula.  People know what it is they have to do to reach the top of the BCS.  LSU and UCS knew exactly what they had to do.  Ohio State knew exactly what they had to do. Take care of business.

I am fine with it.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 24, 2007, 11:21:43 pm
I will almost guarantee that the ratings will be down from previous year's NCGs.

I agree. I already said that in my first reply.

bricklayer

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: bricklayer on November 24, 2007, 11:30:04 pm
Not gonna happen.  They won't beat OU next week.
That will be a heck of a game.  For some reason I think that Mizzou will pull it out this time.  Chase Daniel impressed me tonight.  40-49 passing.  That's pretty impressive.

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: Hawgvillain on November 24, 2007, 11:16:12 pm
Not going to be an SEC team no matter what...so it's going to be a paper NC anyways...

Not real sure how a 2 loss (at best) SEC team has any right to be playing for a national title...
If an SEC team wants to play for a national title, they need to do what every other team has to do and win out.

Pigonometry

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 24, 2007, 11:31:20 pm
That will be a heck of a game.  For some reason I think that Mizzou will pull it out this time.  Chase Daniel impressed me tonight.  40-49 passing.  That's pretty impressive.

Yes, but I was not impressed with KU's defense..............

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on November 24, 2007, 11:31:34 pm
Not real sure how a 2 loss (at best) SEC team has any right to be playing for a national title...
If an SEC team wants to play for a national title, they need to do what every other team has to do and win out.
Technically, Georgia still has a shot at playing for the NC.  If Pitt somehow upsets WVU and OU beats Mizzou, then I would imagine it would be OSU and Georgia in the NCG.  It's an outside shot, but a shot nonetheless.

Hogzilla

Hopefully it will get us closer to a legitimate playoff system.

win-streak

The BCS system is a joke anyways.   Hawaii is undefeated and they don't even get a chance.  There is also so much parity, that a playoff would prove the true NC.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 24, 2007, 11:33:23 pm
Technically, Georgia still has a shot at playing for the NC.  If Pitt somehow upsets WVU and OU beats Mizzou, then I would imagine it would be OSU and Georgia in the NCG.  It's an outside shot, but a shot nonetheless.

Not sure how a team not even playing in their conference championship game is deserving of playing in the national championship game...

rude1

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on November 24, 2007, 11:31:34 pm
Thats much more difficult in the SEC than it is in the Big East where W.Virginia plays. Teams are being rewarded for playing in weak conferences, and not being penalized for scheduling cupcake games out of conference.

Pigonometry

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 24, 2007, 11:37:54 pm
Not sure how a team not even playing in their conference championship game is deserving of playing in the national championship game...

Didn't Oklahoma do that a few years ago?

joeyself

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 24, 2007, 11:33:23 pm

Without even playing in the SEC Championship game?  Wow.  I knew Georgia was highly ranked, but didn't think they could get in the Big Game without winning the SEC.

As for poor ratings, I don't care.  I'd rather see WVU and Mizzou than most of the schools I've already seen play a lot this year (I've watched part of 3 WVU games, I think, and now most of one of Missouri's).  If the ratings slide, then there'll be pressure to make changes to the BCS, and I'm fine with that.  Ark30 nailed it when he said that all the teams know the criteria in advance.  If you want to be in the final game, don't lose two games to unranked teams (Oklahoma) or anything else that causes you to slip off the top slots. 

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

Ex-Trumpet

bart.pohlman

A Mizzou/WVU matchup would certainly be entertaining to watch...at least offensively.
But if you like a good well-rounded football game that features both great offense and great defense, then you probably want to look elsewhere.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 24, 2007, 11:37:54 pm
Just look at the BCS when it comes out tomorrow.  Georgia will be the #4 team which would put them in prime position to play in the NCG if the upsets I mentioned took place.  I didn't say it was fair, but then again, the BCS isn't fair if you ask me.

oldhawg

riccoar

I'm betting on OU beating Missouri and West Virginia playing Ohio State for the NC.

bhawg

I wouldn't mind WVU vs. Mizzou in the NCG.  Nice to see somebody different and nice not to see the same old traditional powers slugging it out.  This has been an exciting and crazy year and I for one like it.  And quite honestly, if it were Arkansas instead of WVU vs. Mizzou, wouldn't some folks just like yourself outside of Arkansas have your same small-minded view? 

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: rude1 on November 24, 2007, 11:38:06 pm
Thats much more difficult in the SEC than it is in the Big East where W.Virginia plays. Teams are being rewarded for playing in weak conferences, and not being penalized for scheduling cupcake games out of conference.

Like how Hawaii makes it to the bcs title game every year?

This argument makes no sense.  Unless of course this is SEC sour grapes because no team in our conference deserves to play for a national title this year.  The SEC routinely benefits from being ranked highly in the polls.  The fact that the pollsters love the SEC actually works to give the conference preferential treatment in the bcs.  For example, last year Boise St was undefeated, but weren't ranked as highly as 1 loss Florida.  Florida got to play in the championship game against Ohio St.  Completely unfair, but unfair in favoring a major conference school.

Gman

yea when they see what type of advertising dollars they loose with a game like that, I'm sure it will be a loud call for change.  Its all about the money, thats why we don't have a playoff system now. 

babywhiz

I watched Mizzou tonight. It was exciting. It was nice to see a football team that could complete passes..and run....in fact, I'm pretty sure that Mizzou only punted a couple of times. Did you see how many 4th down and long that they went for it on and GOT THE FIRST DOWN? (Yes, I said 4th down)

I love the Hogs, but it was exciting watching Mizzou. It was like everything that we could have been....in fact, there was once that Mizzou lined up, and the announcer called the QB D-Mac. It was cracking me up!

Don't knock it till you try it.... heh...
Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

Rainmaker203

Quote from: Pigonometry on November 24, 2007, 11:38:59 pm
Didn't Oklahoma do that a few years ago?

No, but Nebraska got to play in the national championship game about 5 years ago even though Colorado won the Big XII North that season.  They got slaughtered by Miami.

Harrisonhogfan

solitons

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on November 24, 2007, 11:15:38 pm
That will end up being one of the lowest ratings for a NCG ever if you ask me.

Who Cares, BCS is favor for them. WPS

USCoastGuard

ill watch it to see west virginia get their ass whooped. they suck.
Come back over Gus!

Razorhogs

HoggySTruman

Mizzou will be drilled by OU, then you will have WV and Ohio State

HOG71

What a flop.  BCS better hope the Lifetime channel isn't showing a movie.......it will be hard to state a case to keep the remote for this one

JBoroHog

Not gonna happen. OU will stop Missouri and then an Ohio State team that played nobody out of conference, played in a pathetically weak Big 10 1/2, and then sat home while all other conference winners were slugging it out in conference championship games will just magically appear in the national title game again.

You want a disaster? As Brando would say......"The BCS.....the world in crisis". It's also CRAP.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hawgvillain on November 24, 2007, 11:16:12 pm

How so?  The SEC's nonconference record against ranked teams is not that great.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

ICEman

Quote from: HoggySTruman on November 25, 2007, 07:11:48 am
Mizzou will be drilled by OU, then you will have WV and Ohio State
Missou beat a team (Kansas) with SOI of 117, meaning that the Big 12 North Conference was comparable in strength this year to perhaps the upper-half of the Sunbelt.  Oklahoma has played on the big stage several orders of magnitude more times than the Tigers.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HOG71

Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 25, 2007, 07:30:48 am
How so?  The SEC's nonconference record against ranked teams is not that great.

I firmly believe LSU would run WVA, MO, KS, Ok, completely off the field

ToddW

I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

HOG71

Money is the only thing that changes minds....hopefully poor ratings will help

owl

OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

Corkscrew Johnson

This isn't just a BCS problem.  The same result would have occurred in the old system too...the best teams keep losing, mediocre teams are being elevated by default.

That Kansas-Mizzou game was a joke.  Neither of those teams deserve to be in the top 15.   I'm not sure Kansas deserves to be ranked at all.  The only game where they got 'respect' was dropping 76 on Nebraska...the same Nebraska team who Colorado just dropped 65 on.  Colorado.   Maybe the joke is on us.  We lambasted HDN for our soft schedule, yet a soft schedule put Kansas 2 games away from a National Championship.  And in the end, thats all that really matters.

jagzz4

Mizzu would be fine in the national title game just not freaking boring Ohio State and WV. The Big Ten is the most overrated conference.
"Hey guys let's go watch a movie come back and see if Mizzu lost to Oklahoma then we play in the national championship." The worse NCG would be Ohio State and WV!