Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why has Spurrier not brought success to South Carolina?

Started by reddierazorback, November 24, 2007, 09:12:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

reddierazorback

Just an interesting thought.  High powered coach in a program similar to ours but he has not made SC a perennial power like everyone has ecpected.  So if we were to get a coach like Spurrier would he do any better? 
Go HOGS!

The Hawg Marshal

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't have any answers.

whatsshakinbacon

Is this his 3rd year?

I think he needs a few more years before you can say he won't work.

Bacon out...

hawgdog2005

pigheaded

Going to lose to Clemson in the last seconds it appears.

PH
My Mother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks her Wild Turkey right out of the bottle.

hogfan160

From what I understand, USC has just begun raising the money to improve facilities. Might be a part of the issue. Though that wouldn't stand to reason considering we have the best facilities in the country.

under_par

reddierazorback

I think he has the same fire, he just does not have the same recruiting base or athletes that he had at FL.  He would have won a Nat. Champ. at FL this year. 
Go HOGS!

RhodeHog

It would be like Jimmy Johnson coming here compared to what he did at Miami. 

Spurrier had a huge recruiting base at Florida, and at SC he doesn't.  Jimmy Johnson had a huge recruiting base at Miami, and here he wouldn't. 

Spurrier is a huge improvement for SC, but it will take a lot more work than it did at Florida.

hogsanity

because it is very hard to get enough sec calibre players to a place like sc than it is to fla.  He has had 2 classes ranked top 10 or 15 and his first was top 20, yet they are no better than when he came.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorhio

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 24, 2007, 09:14:39 pm
Is this his 3rd year?

Bacon out...

My thoughts exactly.  Give him two more years and then we'll see.

reddierazorback

Quote from: RhodeHog on November 24, 2007, 09:22:30 pm

Spurrier had a huge recruiting base at Florida, and at SC he doesn't.  Jimmy Johnson had a huge recruiting base at Miami, and here he wouldn't. 

Spurrier is a huge improvement for SC, but it will take a lot more work than it did at Florida.

Yes, I think you are right.  So the next question is, which coach out there can move UA to the next level?
Go HOGS!

reddierazorback

Quote from: Razorhio on November 24, 2007, 09:25:20 pm
My thoughts exactly.  Give him two more years and then we'll see.

So you are prepared to give the next coach at least 6 years to get us on track?
Go HOGS!

Nuttsuks

Spurrier... as much as I love to hate him, Is a great coach. Give him a few recruiting years and SC will be a serious force in the SEC.

OnYourToes

He is a great coach, but SC doesn't have the draw FL does.
FL has tropical weather and when he won his NC he had been there a while to establish his regin. 
He has a few miles on him, been to the NFL, now at SC where he has to compete with Clemson who has great traditions and Deaf Valley.

I am not saying he doesn't care as much but he is a few years older and the young kids out of high school would rather go play for the "new ball coach" not the "old" one.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

mchogfan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 24, 2007, 09:14:39 pm
Is this his 3rd year?

Bacon out...

Callahan was only given four years...
California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: RhodeHog on November 24, 2007, 09:22:30 pm

Actually, South Carolina has a pretty good recruiting base, much better than Arkansas from year to year.

I think a lot of the problem is that it's South Carolina. They have zero tradition to pull from (Every decade from the 1960's to the 2007 the Hogs have been spotty in the top 20- not the case for the Gamecocks).  Their facilities aren't nearly as good as ours.

But make no mistake about it, the right coach can win big, REAL big at the University of Arkansas.

RhodeHog

Quote from: reddierazorback on November 24, 2007, 09:25:33 pm
Yes, I think you are right.  So the next question is, which coach out there can move UA to the next level?

Someone who can recruit, and recruit good.  Nutt helped our program at first, and took us to a level better than where we were before.  Now we just need someone who can take us to that next level. 

We need to tap Texas talent again.  I was watching a game on ESPN Classic a few weeks ago, it was a game from 2003 I believe.  It was amazing to me how many players we had on that team from Texas.  Why do we not still tap Texas?  I will never understand why Nutt has quit hitting that talent well so hard. 

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: reddierazorback on November 24, 2007, 09:26:19 pm

I can't speak for Razorhio, but should our next coach have similar results after 3 years, I'd say give him at least one more to put things together.  Spurrier buys the respect of adding a year or two to that simply because you know he has proven he can coach on the college level and win a national championship.

Every coach deserves a four year pass to get things together unless they simply bomb to the level of Ed Orgeron at Mississippi.

Bacon out...

whatsshakinbacon

RhodeHog

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on November 24, 2007, 09:28:59 pm
Actually, South Carolina has a pretty good recruiting base, much better than Arkansas from year to year.

I think a lot of the problem is that it's South Carolina. They have zero tradition to pull from (Every decade from the 1960's to the 2007 the Hogs have been spotty in the top 20- not the case for the Gamecocks).  Their facilities aren't nearly as good as ours.

But make no mistake about it, the right coach can win big, REAL big at the University of Arkansas.

South Carolina is so far behind Florida in H.S. talent that it's not even funny.  I can't believe you would even suggest that they're in the same ball park...they're not.  I wasn't comparing Arkansas to South Carolina, I was comparing South Carolina to Florida. 

hogsanity

Quote from: RhodeHog on November 24, 2007, 09:29:23 pm
Someone who can recruit, and recruit good.  Nutt helped our program at first, and took us to a level better than where we were before.  Now we just need someone who can take us to that next level. 

We need to tap Texas talent again.  I was watching a game on ESPN Classic a few weeks ago, it was a game from 2003 I believe.  It was amazing to me how many players we had on that team from Texas.  Why do we not still tap Texas?  I will never understand why Nutt has quit hitting that talent well so hard. 

According to the rankings of recruiting classes, Spurrier has recruited well, and they have a recor just as bad as the year prior to Spurrier taking the job.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: RhodeHog on November 24, 2007, 09:31:01 pm
South Carolina is so far behind Florida in H.S. talent that it's not even funny.  I can't believe you would even suggest that they're in the same ball park...they're not.  I wasn't comparing Arkansas to South Carolina, I was comparing South Carolina to Florida. 

And how far is Ar behind GA, Fl, Bama, and even SC in HS Fb talent? 

RhodeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2007, 09:31:31 pm
According to the rankings of recruiting classes, Spurrier has recruited well, and they have a recor just as bad as the year prior to Spurrier taking the job.

But as you know, it takes time to install a system...a mentality.  It will happen, but it will take a lot more time than it did at Florida.

reddierazorback

Go HOGS!

HogMavFan

PigDaddyKane

When we played USC the announcers pointed out that when Spurrier was at FL his offense was cutting edge, they also pointed out that his offense is no longer cutting edge, most teams have the same type of passing attack (except for us of course). 

For once I think the announcers are correct.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

RhodeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2007, 09:32:26 pm
And how far is Ar behind GA, Fl, Bama, and even SC in HS Fb talent? 

The question the original poster asked was " Why hasn't Spurrier not brought success to S.C.?" 

Why do you ask a question that you know the answer to? 

Razorhio

Quote from: reddierazorback on November 24, 2007, 09:26:19 pm

It's hard to say in general; it depends on who it is.  Spurrier has unquestionably prooven himself in the past, so I would happly let him go a couple more years.  As for our next coach, who will likely be unproven, I agree with Bacon.  Unless he's an obvious dud, I'll give him four years.

hogsanity

Quote from: RhodeHog on November 24, 2007, 09:33:00 pm
But as you know, it takes time to install a system...a mentality.  It will happen, but it will take a lot more time than it did at Florida.

By year 3 they should be showing some improvement.  They actually regressed this year.  Closed on a 5 game skid.

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorhio on November 24, 2007, 09:36:09 pm
It's hard to say in general; it depends on who it is.  Spurrier has unquestionably prooven himself in the past, so I would happly let him go a couple more years.  As for our next coach, who will likely be unproven, I agree with Bacon.  Unless he's an obvious dud, I'll give him four years.

So you would give a better coach more time than a unkown?

reddierazorback

Quote from: Razorhio on November 24, 2007, 09:36:09 pm

Four years is fair.  So Arkansas winning the west two times in ten years is almost a four year average?
Go HOGS!

RhodeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2007, 09:36:32 pm
By year 3 they should be showing some improvement.  They actually regressed this year.  Closed on a 5 game skid.

It will happen.  When a college gets used to losing, it's hard to break that mentality. 

HogMavFan

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on November 24, 2007, 09:35:03 pm
When we played USC the announcers pointed out that when Spurrier was at FL his offense was cutting edge, they also pointed out that his offense is no longer cutting edge, most teams have the same type of passing attack (except for us of course). 

Malzahn is the new Spurrier....passing attack but innovative and adaptive.

destinflhog

When Spurrier was at Florida, his offensive schemes were innovative and cutting edge.  Defensively, he wasn't that great but had great athletes starting and at back-ups.  His offense was tough to stop and his defense was good enough.

Now almost all top programs have offensive schemes that are similar to his (none are really considered innovative anymore) and his defenses aren't good enough.

hogsanity

Quote from: RhodeHog on November 24, 2007, 09:37:58 pm
It will happen.  When a college gets used to losing, it's hard to break that mentality. 

I aint buying.  If it was somone other than Spurrier most would say he should be fired.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: RhodeHog on November 24, 2007, 09:31:01 pm

When did I suggest that Florida recruiting is in the same ball park with South Carolina recruiting?  There is Florida, Texas, California, and then a huge dropoff to whoever number 4 is.  However, I would not be surprised if South Carolina is in the top 10 in producing prospects year in and year out. 

Even still, Spurrier should be able to recruit Florida very well.  He's like a god in the Sunshine State and South Carolina is close enough to pull some recruits, particularly wideouts and quarterbacks.

But my point to the post was.....he hasn't succeeded mostly because South Carolina doesn't have history/tradition to get immediate success in a division with Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee.

razorback3072

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on November 24, 2007, 09:35:03 pm

This is exactly right.

My opinion of Spurrier was that he left for the NFL just in time.  Even though he wasn't successful, teams in the SEC were starting to catch up to his style of play.  He was cutting edge and doing things teams weren't doing.  The SEC had been a traditionally run-oriented conference and Defenses were geared to stop that first.  FL came in running four and five WRs with good RBs and Defenses couldn't adjust.  As they did, teams began to catch up to FL.  Spurrier got out then.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Razorhio

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2007, 09:37:23 pm
So you would give a better coach more time than a unkown?

If by 'better' you mean 'already proven,' like in Spurrier's case, then yes.  However, as I mentioned earlier, it really depends on the situation.  It's difficult to make a general rule about this.

Hawghiggs

It's hard to recruit in that side of the sec. he has a smaller program and nothing but a up hill battle against the big programs that surrond him in the sec east and the acc. Gus Malzahn has never proved he could run a college program. he never won a championship with Duke. He does not have any recruiting territory other than arkansas. so gus malzahn is not the same league as spurrier.

reddierazorback

Quote from: PorkOpine on November 24, 2007, 10:59:29 pm
South Carolina's program is similar to ARKANSAS?  ARE YOU A TOTAL FOOL OR JUST PRETENDING TO BE ONE?

I guess you can tell me that the two football programs are not similar.  Not a similar fan base, not a similar recruiting base.  No results from the old ball coach.  I am not sure why you think you need to call me a fool.  I was just asking a question, you made it personal, which seems to make you a very sensitive fool.
Go HOGS!

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2007, 09:40:48 pm
I aint buying.  If it was somone other than Spurrier most would say he should be fired.

I agree with this statement. To the original post I have to admit I was thinking the same thing today when I saw they lost to clemson. It is surprising. I thought that by year 3 Spurrier would have been more competitive. Still, due to his past success and the lack of seccess at SC by anyone else, I think you have to give Spurrier a year or two more to get the program going right. After 5 years I am not sure there will be any excuses. Maybe they're just cursed.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShortHog on November 24, 2007, 11:46:38 pm

I agree with this statement. To the original post I have to admit I was thinking the same thing today when I saw they lost to clemson. It is surprising. I thought that by year 3 Spurrier would have been more competitive. Still, due to his past success and the lack of seccess at SC by anyone else, I think you have to give Spurrier a year or two more to get the program going right. After 5 years I am not sure there will be any excuses. Maybe they're just cursed.

Oh there will be excuses, the same ones people use here, small recruiting base, playing in the sec, etc, only at SC, since it is Spurrier, those excuses will be called reasons.

ballhog™

His offense isn't as cutting edge now as it was when he was winning like crazy at Florida...more teams are using complex passing attacks as their base offense.

He doesn't have the athletes he had at Florida.

He hasn't been able to change the decades long culture of South Carolina football...average results.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Desperate Hog

More teams are using the spread offense and running more than using Spurrier's offense and pasing a lot (except TT and hawaii).  Spurrier's "fun N Gun" was innovative but they won because they had better athletes, not because of the system.  SC does not have those athletes, the depth, etc.,  He should get a couple more years but I don't think they will every be consistently a top 20 team.  too much competition in recruiting and playing those powers Georgia, tennessee and Florida every year, not to mention the rest of the SEC and Clemson. 
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

Jam

The more interesting thought to me is SC has had 9 years of Holtz/Spurrier; possibly 2 of the top 10 or 15 coaches of all time, yet HDN has done better than them over that 9 years.

just a thought
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Jam on November 25, 2007, 12:10:38 am
The more interesting thought to me is SC has had 9 years of Holtz/Spurrier; possibly 2 of the top 10 or 15 coaches of all time, yet HDN has done better than them over that 9 years.

just a thought

Holtz had to battle his wife's medical problems with her and wasn't the same coach at SC he had been at Notre Dame. 

Bacon out...

hogsanity

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 25, 2007, 12:15:02 am
Holtz had to battle his wife's medical problems with her and wasn't the same coach at SC he had been at Notre Dame. 

Bacon out...

Yt he still took them to back to back New Years day bowl games.  Spurrier will spend his 3rd consecutive New Years day as SC coach on the golf course.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2007, 12:16:06 am
Yt he still took them to back to back New Years day bowl games.  Spurrier will spend his 3rd consecutive New Years day as SC coach on the golf course.

So I guess he should be fired then?

Bacon out...

hawgsav1

I think a lot of it is the ball bouncing the wrong way.  Spurrier is a good coach, but it will take him some time to get that team turned around I think.  Holtz had trouble with it and it's difficult for them to change an entire tradition.  I think given some more time, Spurrier will be successful.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb