Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WHAT DO YOU DISLIKE ABOUT GUS?

Started by jfb4ever, November 23, 2007, 09:49:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jfb4ever

Many post he's not the one, tell us what you dislike about HIM!

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

clew

I think the only complaint could be a lack of experience.  But, on the same token, at one time Jimmy Johnson had a lack of experience.  He didn't get the Arkansas job either.
Pure as the dawn

grayhawg

I dislike he left and HDN stayed. Other than that nothing.

GeneKeadysRug

LJHOG

don't know him so can't say one way or the other.  he is a tad green for an SEC coach.  also i don't see him as the guy who can garner the support of all the fans.  in fact, he would do just the opposite.  he may be a great coach and prove out to be the best in the business, but for now his time at arkansas is done.  probably forever.

jfb4ever

Reggie, do you have time to Post Today?

razorbackred

There's nothing to dislike unless you are an LSU, AL, Auburn, Ole Miss or MSU fan; they will dislike him because he will put Arkansas in the national spotlight within a few years. 

HoginIllinois

NADA

hillhog

How about "he's from Springdale"? Add lots of sarcasm. I respect Gus and wish him all the success.

Erockster20

I dislike that he is not on our coaching staff in some fashion.

I will say, I am about 50/50 on him being head coach, but I am 100% for him being our OC. If I could have a christmas wish, I wish we could get someone to "fill in" for about 3 years to let him get the college game down pat, then turn it over to him.

I know that won't happen, but hey if your gonna dream, dream big.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jfb4ever on November 23, 2007, 09:49:48 am

I do not dislike him. I think he is a great coach with a great future. I just do not think he has the experience to handle the reins of a Div I, SEC school at this point. Will he be at some point in the future? Absolutely. Is he now? Not in my opinion. I think it would be unfair to us and unfair to Gus to throw him into that before he is ready. His time will come and if he wants to come home at that time, when there is an opening, he will apply and most likely be hired.......but this is not that time.
Go Hogs Go!

The real Hogules

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hawgdog2005

The fact he is at TU and not here.  Thanks Dale you egotistical idiot

respirback

I like him.  I like his offense.  I like the way he respectfully walked away from what was a bad situation for him.  I do not like the thought of him becoming the next head coach.

football17

Quote from: LJHOG on November 23, 2007, 09:55:36 am
don't know him so can't say one way or the other.  he is a tad green for an SEC coach.  also i don't see him as the guy who can garner the support of all the fans.  in fact, he would do just the opposite.  he may be a great coach and prove out to be the best in the business, but for now his time at arkansas is done.  probably forever.

Winning unites fans. Gus is a winner.

revolution

I dislike Gus's inability to overcome the idiocy and ego of his supervisor which led to three straight losses to end last season.  I thought Gus could do anything, but even he couldn't keep our Nutts from mis-firing. 

Let's cut the Nutts and hop on the Gus Bus!

Eugene

Eugene

Seems to me most people dislike Gus, dislike him because of the Springdale connection. Most people like Gus because of what he can do with what he has on the offensive side of the game. Find Gus a good DC and bring him on board. Someone will take the so-called chance with Gus and end up with a great coach. Hope it's the HOGS.

hogsanity

Quote from: jfb4ever on November 23, 2007, 09:49:48 am

I don't dislike Gus.  What I dislike is the idea, that in the sec, we would hire a coach that has that little college experience.  Look at the last 3 sec hires, Spurrier, Meyer, and Saban.  I would think that a demand for excellence would dictate we try to hire someone on that level.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LJHOG

Quote from: football17 on November 23, 2007, 10:01:51 am
Winning unites fans. Gus is a winner.
fans don't hire coaches.  gus got too many .................... uh, non-supporters is what i'll term them, within the PTB and BOT to be HC here for many years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2007, 10:18:17 am
I don't dislike Gus.  What I dislike is the idea, that in the sec, we would hire a coach that has that little college experience.  Look at the last 3 sec hires, Spurrier, Meyer, and Saban.  I would think that a demand for excellence would dictate we try to hire someone on that level.

I have to agree.
Go Hogs Go!

jfb4ever

MMMMMMMM, Florida hired a coach that runs an offense that won't work in the SEC. Bet Broyles thought they had sunk to a Really Low Level!

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Nothing I don't like about Gus except that he isn't at Arkansas.
Let's make some waves.

TransAmHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2007, 10:18:17 am

WHO? Name off someone on that level that we can get. Name One person better suited to clean up the Nutt mess and get us back to where we should be then take us to the next level.

Leach?  Trading one Nutt for another Nut

Bo Pellini? LSU assistant that acording to what I've read isn't their top choice to replace Miles and they know him rather well I'd think.

Butch Davis? Maybe but he's staying in NC

Patterson? Rice's coach. is that really a good upgrade?

J. Johnson? LOL dream on

Why can't we just get Gus. Give him a couple of years to right the ship and see just what we can be at Arkansas. We have a chance to make the right call this time without the Whitehaired debbil protecting his legacy. We are at a critical crossroad and to not get this right will only set us back even farther than we are right now.
We need to get this right and GUS is the right man for the job.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

dmac4sainthood

I dislike nothing about him.

It isn't a like or dislike thing.  He just does not have enough D1a experience to be a hc in Southeastern Conference.

There are guys who have had great success as a hc at a lower college level, and if they came to Arkansas, a fit would be thrown.  His only success as a head coach, came at the HS level, and he has a had a great run as a college coordinator, but not enough to be an SEC HC yet.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TransAmHawg on November 23, 2007, 10:32:16 am

WHO? Name off someone on that level that we can get. Name One person better suited to clean up the Nutt mess and get us back to where we should be then take us to the next level.

Leach?  Trading one Nutt for another Nut

Bo Pellini? LSU assistant that acording to what I've read isn't their top choice to replace Miles and they know him rather well I'd think.

Butch Davis? Maybe but he's staying in NC

Patterson? Rice's coach. is that really a good upgrade?

J. Johnson? LOL dream on

Why can't we just get Gus. Give him a couple of years to right the ship and see just what we can be at Arkansas. We have a chance to make the right call this time without the Whitehaired debbil protecting his legacy. We are at a critical crossroad and to not get this right will only set us back even farther than we are right now.
We need to get this right and GUS is the right man for the job.

Jeff Tedford, Dennis Erickson, Frank Solich, Butch Davis
Go Hogs Go!

Razorback Ranger

I dislike that he has won 75% of the games he has coached in the last 2 years but he is not being considered one of the most successfull up and comers.

gcraise1

HDN does not have the experience or half the I.Q. to be a DIV 1 coach either, but he has been acting like one for 10 years. All the great coaches at one point in their career were under qualified. I say we hand GM the reigns and I promise you he will not disappoint us. He has been a proven winner everywhere he has been including an SEC OC of the year last year, his first year in DIV 1 coaching.  Has Tulsa's offense at the top of everyone on yards per game.

GM has the I.Q. and the drive to take our program higher than it ever has before. And like his article said yesterday in the paper he will outwork anyone in order to be successfull. When have you ever heard that from DMW? People GM is a proactive coach instead of like FB and HDN who IMO are reactive coaches. GM keeps up with the new and innovates it in a way that makes him and his team a winner. He will bring Arkansas Football full swing from the 1980's. And I promise you he will have more than 8 plays for our offense. And being a parent of a hopefull Arkansas Razorback he will bring back morals, and ethics to a program that is crooked as the pigtrail! JMO.

oxhog24

There is nothing that I dislike about Gus, I live in the Fort Smith area and have had the pleasure of meeting Gus a couple of times. He is a very good man. I am just not 100% sure that this is the time for him to come back to Arkansas, nothing to do with coaching experience but a lot to do with the fans. One of the main reasons I want rid of Hootie is how divided the fans are, I'm not sure hiring Gus right now would change that. Whoever is hired I will support as I love the Hogs, if it is Gus so be it. I'm just not sure that a this time he is the one to unite the Hog fans.

hogsanity

Quote from: opineonswine on November 23, 2007, 10:38:31 am
What if the choices are Pelini, Venables, Strong, Mullen, Leach or Gus?

Then it will prove what I have been saying for 2 years, the program CAN NOT get a big time coach like Fl or Bama or LSu can, or the program WILL NOT pay what it takes to get that type of coach.  Either is a sad commentary on the program.  If those are the only choices, might as well take Gus.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgvillain

Talent is talent.  Just like in business, you do what it takes to bring in the talent - even if it isn't quite ready to be productive.  Now that BD has moved on, Gus is at the top of my list.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2007, 10:48:22 am
Then it will prove what I have been saying for 2 years, the program CAN NOT get a big time coach like Fl or Bama or LSu can, or the program WILL NOT pay what it takes to get that type of coach.  Either is a sad commentary on the program.  If those are the only choices, might as well take Gus.
All of those teams have won a NC in the last 15 years.  I hate the "Lil Ole Arkie" argument - but I can see why they would be able to attract a better coach than us at this time.

Hog Scratch Fever

What's not to like about him?  He wins.

As far as experience goes, how much experience does he need?  One year? Two?  Wouldn't it be fair to say that he could learn what it takes in that amount of time?

Everyone has said we are supposed to suck anyway for the next 2 years.  Let Gus get his experience in those 2 years with us and we might not suck as much as expected.

Some anti-Gus people will get their jollies on the losses and then have to eat crow when we start winning big against the good teams.

A two year swing to have a really good coach is a lot better than a two year pass to keep a bad one.
"It got a little nippy through the pass!"

darkhogfan

"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

GWFan

That he can recruit, that he has a tremendous coaching mind, that he messed up our offense last year by bringing in the stupid so-called "wildcat formation", that he wrote that book the big name coaches like Urban Myer have agreed and used for their own championships team.  I hate the way the state fell in love with him over the excitement he brought to both Arkansas HS football, and the Razorbacks when he came here.
There's a bunch of stuff I dislike about that man.

Signed
HDN

jkcrunch

I do not dislike Gus,  I just do not believe he invented football as some here would have you believe. It is kinda like that hit song on the radio you hear it so much it makes you hate it.

I dislike he did not speak up if things were not right.  Bruce Pearl ratted out Illini when he was an assistant at Iowa and it did not hurt his career.   He could have changed things but choose to run and be quite instead.

Brand X Hog Fan

Gus has the following characteristics that will disqualify him from coaching at Arkansas:

He is a strict disciplinarian.

He runs a complex, balanced offense.

He lacks the ability to defer blame and assumes responsibility for his actions.

He plays to win.

He is of high moral standards.

He demands accountability from his players and staff.

Now really. How bad is it going to be if in 5 years Gus has a D-1 program headed for a BCS bowl and we are still floundering in mediocrity because of our refusal to take a chance? Basketball programs seem to have bought into the practice of hiring younger head coaches and hiring a veteran assistant to help them. We've done it twice now with Pel and Evans and, with some success, with Heath and "what's his name." Why won't this work in football? We have some great coaches who are alumni, JJ and Barry specifically. Don't you think Gus would seek their advice in the matters he does not yet have a handle on? I, for one, would take the risk on hiring Gus. I believe he is a diamond, not in the rough yet not quite completely cut either.

I really would rather buy in to Gus's freshness than place my hopes on older philosophies of the likes of Erikson and Davis. Those two are / were good coaches, but I honestly believe it is time for fresh air.

GHG! Beat LSU!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

AFWarrior83

I say give the fans what they want.  I don't think Gus would make it b/c who does he know that will come in and complete his coachng staff?  I think he could be a good HC, but I just doubt he could land any solid assistants.
Hogville member since 2005.

densmith1

Experience in the SEC is overrated.  Gus' organizational skills, overall intelligence, integrity and 2-year record as a D-1 offensive coordinator more than offset "his lack of experience".  His success at every school where he has coached is the most relevant factor.  He would be a great replacement for HDN.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: opineonswine on November 23, 2007, 11:17:47 am
I would bet differently.

Who do you think he could get to be his DC?  What about all the other assistants?  Not argueing, just curious.

The Realist

Experience is the main problem.  Recruiting, the full year grind of a head football coach in the SEC. 
Also, do you remember the SEC Championship game last year?  Urban Meyer was able to get the best of Malzahn because they were trying to outdo each other in trick plays.  It came to the point where I never thought a WR was going to run when he had the ball, rather just pass.  We could have come back in that game but he was trying to one up Meyer.   Not saying thats the only reason we lost, rather just one of many.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

jfb4ever

I would be happy for Reggie to GO! I don't believe Gus will have a problem attracting Good Coaches.

GWFan

Quote from: The Realist on November 23, 2007, 11:21:36 am
Experience is the main problem.  Recruiting, the full year grind of a head football coach in the SEC. 
Also, do you remember the SEC Championship game last year?  Urban Meyer was able to get the best of Malzahn because they were trying to outdo each other in trick plays.  It came to the point where I never thought a WR was going to run when he had the ball, rather just pass.  We could have come back in that game but he was trying to one up Meyer.   Not saying thats the only reason we lost, rather just one of many.
The main reason we lost was Shibest not properly preparing special teams. (he didn't have them "special" enough" :puke:)

jfb4ever

Gus was not being allowed to throw the ball against Florida last year! Florida had an outstanding Defense Last Year! Gus had to do something to try to spread out the Florida Defense! I believe Reggie had a few screw ups as well.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: jfb4ever on November 23, 2007, 11:23:49 am
                I would be happy for Reggie to GO! I don't believe Gus will have a problem attracting Good Coaches.

I'd just like to hear some names....  WHO?  Could he land any NFL assistants?  College?  That's my only doubt b/c NO ONE has been able to give names of any assistants.  Maybe he could get some assistants away from the WAC or Sunbelt conference?  I'd just like to hear something besides Gus alone.  Gus would be great, but I don't think he's ready for a HC position just b/c nobody outside of us and Tulsa really know of him.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: jfb4ever on November 23, 2007, 11:27:57 am
           Gus was not being allowed to throw the ball against Florida last year! Florida had an outstanding Defense Last Year! Gus had to do something to try to spread out the Florida Defense! I believe Reggie had a few screw ups as well.

What lost us that game was that freaking punt on 4th and forever when Fish muffed the punt, after that the big MO changed.  I still can't believe that play...

jfb4ever

Head coaches all over the country are admitting to using Gus's playbook. College Coaches take notice when a 1st year coach is Coordinator of the Year. College coaches realize he had 2 returning Starters,and is Leading the Country in Offense!